5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Auto Climate Cntrl - Intake Sensor Replace

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 10:46 AM

Auto Climate Cntrl - Intake Sensor Replace

Replacing the Auto Climate Control System Intake Air Sensor.

Symptom: Mine had no heat at 72 degree setting, but heat around 84 degrees and A/C was cold.

Sensor ( $14 at the Dealer) is located on the inner side of the evaporator.

1. Remove Glove Compartment doors and lower dash that it mounts to.

2. On the left side you will see a white connector on the black duct housing, this is the connector for the intake air sensor.
3. The black duct housing appears like the bottom can be separated from the top but I don’t believe that this is the case. But I was able to utilize this construction to replace the sensor.
4. At the seam there are upward screws and a metal clip, On my car there is also a access panel for a cabin air filter ( But my 2000 GLE never had one $ 40 at the stealer. )
5. Remove the screws, clip and cabin filter access panel. While doing this look in the cabin air filter access and look for debris at the outer face of the evaporator core. Mine was pretty dirty and had pine needles. To clean it, remove the blower motor ( three screws) to vacuum it out with a small hosed shop vac.
6. Separate the white connector and slide it off of the duct housing mount. Note where the wire exits the housing.
7. Then carefully pry apart the duct housing in this area to achieve a opening of around an inch. Place something in the housing to keep it open, I used a plastic tent peg that was laying around the garage.
8. With a flashlight you can look in and see the sensor mounted to the inner side of the evaporator coil. It is mounted on a plastic bracket that is held between fins of the evaporator coil.
9. With a long thin screwdriver reach in and carefully pry the plastic bracket out of the evaporator, and remove it with the sensor. Be careful not to poke a hole in the evaporator coil!
10. Remove the bracket and discard the old sensor.
11. Mount the new sensor in the bracket.
12. As the original bracket was located on the far side of the evaporator coil, it would be very difficult to reinstall it in this location through a 1” gap. Therefore remount it in the coil as far away from the opening that you can using your fingers. Push it in between the fins. This new location does not seem to have any negative impact.
13. Route the wire out through a small notch in the housing as was the original.
14. Reinstall all the screws, the clip, the cabin airfilter panel and the blower motor.
15. Connect the white connectors and slide on to the housing mount.
16. The diagnostic test 5, for this sensor should now read approximately the intake air temperature. Ie: when bad mine read 131 degrees, the new one read 73 degrees.
17. If okay reinstall the lower dash and glove box.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:59 AM

How can I add this to the "How To" area?
Old 10-31-2011, 12:03 PM

you have to contact one of the moderators - DanNY or NmexMax, or puppetmaster those guys usually handle our generation forums
Old 11-02-2011, 06:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've added it to the Stickies, thanks for the great contribution.

Last edited by Puppetmaster; 11-02-2011 at 06:05 AM.