5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Torque link

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
How long is that turnbuckle?
Im just gonna throw out there maybe.12".or more idk would have.to.measure it
Old 10-23-2011, 04:44 AM

Sweet that works im gonna buy just one at first for my max and if my wife doesnt mind the vibration ill get a second one. Lmk the paypal via pm
Old 10-23-2011, 05:55 AM

Fishtale6spd. I think I am down for one but I would like to see pics of the final version. Also I suggest you start a new thread in the for sale section to keep the mods happy. We need more and more people DIY projects like this. Instead of those eye hooks you have you can also get the ones that have a swivel section in the middle. Just a thought. I may be interested in the welded brackets only.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:02 AM

Cool. Good job!

I was wondering about your approach to welding the brackets. What did you use? MIG?, Stick?, 6010 or 7018?

I would suggest 7018s and turn your heat down a little. Run a little slower and put a nice weave on the inside of the brackets. That would insure good penetration and would look good too. If you wanted to get really fancy, polished stainless brackets would look sweet with a neat TIG bead. That would be 100% boss. Then powdercoated with a Fishtale INC. sticker.

Also, as someone else mentioned maybe a different approach to the fasteners on the turnbuckle. The eyelets will eventually become weak and distorted.

I think if you deleted eyelets and used somthing like a machined lug with a bolthole for the bracket it would be much more structurally sound and less prone to bending or distortion.

Keep up the good work.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by 4thGenTuner
Cool. Good job!

I was wondering about your approach to welding the brackets. What did you use? MIG?, Stick?, 6010 or 7018?

I would suggest 7018s and turn your heat down a little. Run a little slower and put a nice weave on the inside of the brackets. That would insure good penetration and would look good too. If you wanted to get really fancy, polished stainless brackets would look sweet with a neat TIG bead. That would be 100% boss. Then powdercoated with a Fishtale INC. sticker.

Also, as someone else mentioned maybe a different approach to the fasteners on the turnbuckle. The eyelets will eventually become weak and distorted.

I think if you deleted eyelets and used somthing like a machined lug with a bolthole for the bracket it would be much more structurally sound and less prone to bending or distortion.

Keep up the good work.
I wish I.had tig but all I got is mig and if you weld stainless it will rust instantly
Old 10-23-2011, 10:33 AM

I always love cheap mods that hold the same weight as others that are more expensive/better quality ones. Now i love nwp but that price of a torque link it too much for my pockets. For this idea is great but that fact the eyes on the turn buckle have play. No matter how much u tighten the nuts down on the washer there will still be space between the nuts and I.D. diameter of the bolt holes on the bracket. If the bolts/nuts are large enough to fill the diameter of the eyes it will be more similiar to nwp link. Which would make the home depot torque link mod great.

Last edited by altezzablazes; 10-23-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by altezzablazes
I always love cheap mods that hold the same weight as others that are more expensive/better quality ones. Now i love nwp but that price of a torque link it too much for my pockets. For this idea is great but that fact the eyes on the turn buckle have play. No matter how much u tighten the nuts down on the washer there will still be space between the nuts and I.D. diameter of the bolt holes on the bracket. If the bolts/nuts are large enough to fill the diameter of the eyes it will be more similiar to nwp link. Which would make the home depot torque link mod great.
Yes I actually threaded another nut into the eylet so it fills that i.d. Gap. cause i didnt want all that extra slop or I didnt want a huge hole for a bolt to fill the gap.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:01 PM

Ok so im going to start making them right now but tonight I will start a new thread in the forsale section. I will post a link on here to that but it will have directions pricing and all that jazz so I wont check this till later tonight so in the thread swap mess pm who wants them and what you want as of now I have parts.for three full kits and maybe 3 just braket kits home depo was sold out so i got what they had for now.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:32 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Smh
Old 10-23-2011, 02:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by fishtale6spd
Ok so im going to start making them right now but tonight I will start a new thread in the forsale section. I will post a link on here to that but it will have directions pricing and all that jazz so I wont check this till later tonight so in the thread swap mess pm who wants them and what you want as of now I have parts.for three full kits and maybe 3 just braket kits home depo was sold out so i got what they had for now.
Awesome!
Old 10-23-2011, 02:46 PM

Yes I actually threaded another nut into the eylet so it fills that i.d. Gap. cause i didnt want all that extra slop or I didnt want a huge hole for a bolt to fill the gap.
i like i was think you might have done that respect on a great venture
Old 10-23-2011, 04:00 PM

Ok so I would say im going to upgrade them even more by welding a sleeve into the the end eyelets that match the dia. So that I dont have to make another nut or anythi.g for space
Old 10-23-2011, 04:08 PM

Ok so I would say im going to upgrade them even more by welding a sleeve into the the end eyelets that match the dia. So that I dont have to make another nut or anythi.g for space
Old 10-23-2011, 05:15 PM

ok so i have completed some brackets they are for sale now in this thread http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ml#post8245528

for those of you who have alread pmd me great yours are spoken for i think as of right now i have two left? pm if you want them but this thread will stay open for discusion and feed back would be great after you get them on let me know what you think so i can upgrade them in the future. i originally just made this for me cause i didnt want to compete with NWP because they still have a supurb product but hey this is crazy cheap may not look as perfect but it still does the job. i will check back on threads but if you want questions answered fastest pm will be the best way.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:33 PM

Installed this today. The difference can be felt. Acceleration is smoother and I don't have that passenger side clunk when going over bumps. Also the hard shifts from the transgo kit are more "dampened" if you will. It was definitely worth the money and a must have mod.

Having never had a torque link before I wasn't exactly sure what the ideal "setting" for it would be. I accidentally adjusted it where it pulled the engine down (actually pulled the mount towards the front) at first then realized this was wrong. I then adjusted it till the mount sat as vertical as possible and with a open ended wrench turned it another half a turn to a turn for a little extra firmness. I'm not sure if this is the correct way to adjust it but judging from the results I feel it is.

Hopefully someone with more exp with this type of mod can chime in if I'm totally off base.

I'll post pics tomorrow for those interested.

Thanks again fishtale!
Old 10-30-2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by 2000_MAXIMA_KING
Installed this today. The difference can be felt. Acceleration is smoother and I don't have that passenger side clunk when going over bumps. Also the hard shifts from the transgo kit are more "dampened" if you will. It was definitely worth the money and a must have mod.

Having never had a torque link before I wasn't exactly sure what the ideal "setting" for it would be. I accidentally adjusted it where it pulled the engine down (actually pulled the mount towards the front) at first then realized this was wrong. I then adjusted it till the mount sat as vertical as possible and with a open ended wrench turned it another half a turn to a turn for a little extra firmness. I'm not sure if this is the correct way to adjust it but judging from the results I feel it is.

Hopefully someone with more exp with this type of mod can chime in if I'm totally off base.

I'll post pics tomorrow for those interested.

Thanks again fishtale!
Yea im in the same boat as you in how to adjust it I dont.know if it should be pulled tight or not im sure its just a brace so like you said bolted in at a relaxed position is perfect then just a tad bit tighter for stifness is perfect thats how I have mine. Also thanks for the busniess
Old 10-30-2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Cant_Get_Ryte
Smh
lolol.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by luvlexus101
lolol.
Hes just jealous he didnt think of it first lol
Old 10-30-2011, 02:41 PM

Yea im in the same boat as you in how to adjust it I dont.know if it should be pulled tight or not im sure its just a brace so like you said bolted in at a relaxed position is perfect then just a tad bit tighter for stifness is perfect thats how I have mine. Also thanks for the busniess
Yea I found that to be the right "setting" That way the mount is in its "right" position and the brace is working as a brace Don't know if that makes sense but that's my quick way of explaining it.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:03 AM

thats the first time i saw the nwp torque link, damn nwp makes some pretty mods to our max'es
good job on the diy!
Old 10-31-2011, 09:07 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

I'm pretty sure u got the wrong guy n looking for a jealous bone.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:08 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Doesn't take a genius to figure it out. Between u and cory x... SMH
Old 10-31-2011, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by altezzablazes
I always love cheap mods that hold the same weight as others that are more expensive/better quality ones. Now i love nwp but that price of a torque link it too much for my pockets.
that's because NWP pioneers. R&D costs money, Aaron wants to make sure what he sells is worth buying.

fishtale i can approve of because he built something for himself. he didn't jump in with the intention of undercutting someone else's hard work and he made no claims, just said, "hey guys, look what i made." the other individual selling knock-offs... not so much.

good luck, fishtale!
Old 11-01-2011, 04:08 AM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Originally Posted by mightyMax95
that's because NWP pioneers. R&D costs money, Aaron wants to make sure what he sells is worth buying.

fishtale i can approve of because he built something for himself. he didn't jump in with the intention of undercutting someone else's hard work and he made no claims, just said, "hey guys, look what i made." the other individual selling knock-offs... not so much.

good luck, fishtale!
Same difference. Has he n turn sold them.for the 6$ it cost him to make them? Same intent same result far as I'm concerned
Old 11-01-2011, 06:54 AM

I bought this thing and if it snaps tomorrow I wouldn't care since it was so cheap and I'll purchase the NWP one, not a big deal. I understand there is support for NWP and I like that but what happens if Aaron has to move on like Cattman did then oops no one to make spacers and torque links because we ran any other members off the site.

Just like when BRM introduced the 3", it was immediately attacked because everyone is a Cattman supporter. And now when Cattman goes (doesn't look like anyones ready to step up and take the position) BRM is our only option.

I don't know whats wrong with you guys but whether it be cory or fishtale or john doe these guys may be the next Aaron or Brian. Or they may be a crappy knock off like the ebay sellers who knows and who cares. Let people produce **** for our cars so we have options. Then you can choose if you want it or not. You guys act like Brian and Aaron are the only guys that can produce quality products and their products are perfect (not knocking any of those guys I support both, I'm just bringing things into perspective).

I'm part of a VW forum where numerous vendors are on the site selling the same products even sometimes at the same price (Eurojet, Neuspeed, AWE tuning, Ross-tech, BSH, etc) and these are guys just like Brian and Aaron not some big mass producer; and we get to choose whatever we like. Everyone doesn't have the same preference. Products can't be perfect for everyone. How do you know another vendor can't make a product that may be "better" in any way then a product we are currently offered by Cattman or NWP? You can't predict or say that. We should have support for anyone that produces decent products for us. Now if someone starts producing crap just purposely to under cut NWP then its understandable to be against it.

I don't know the full story about cory nor did I ever care for spacers or bops since I've got a dek so in no way am I supporting or attacking him. I've dealt with fishtale and as far as I can see he produced one for himself and a few more for others who were interested. Now his product is not the cleanest, not the most "pretty", and its not NWP or NWP quality. But its what I chose to purchase from him just to try it out and see the benefits of such a mod. If it compromises in any way or I decide to make my bay look pretty then I'll just grab the NWP one and move on.

Plus both Cattman and NWP are in the business of selling products for cars so with that comes the "real" competition and the "knockoffs" and I'm sure both guys are ready and know how to handle this and both guys are not affected by these "knockoffs". And their business is probably not affected either since they sell a proven product and the people that were going to purchase their product are still going to.

Last edited by 2000_MAXIMA_KING; 11-01-2011 at 07:03 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:28 AM

That looks pretty good and more importantly it sounds functional which would be the entire point of this thing to me. I expected to see some negative feedback from this but hey whatever comes with the territory. Nice work!
Old 11-01-2011, 07:48 AM

How do you know another vendor can't make a product that may be "better" in any way then a product we are currently offered by Cattman or NWP?
i never said that. i said i didn't like when one person copies another individual's hard work. duplicating a single product, no big deal. knocking off an entire line of products, with no research other than a stencil, there i have a problem.

you want a piece of the pie? come up with your own damn recipe!

he produced one for himself and a few more for others who were interested.
EXACTLY. fishtale was unable/unwilling to spend the money on a NWP brace, so he made one for himself. and he did a great job. i'm confident his intent was to simply SHARE his triumph with the rest of the forum. he didn't offer a cheap copies for sale, but was instead asked to make a few by those that were impressed with his creativeness. maybe i'm wrong, but i feel there's a strong difference.

once again fishtale, none of this is directed toward you! sorry for the threadjack.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by mightyMax95
i never said that. i said i didn't like when one person copies another individual's hard work. duplicating a single product, no big deal. knocking off an entire line of products, with no research other than a stencil, there i have a problem.

you want a piece of the pie? come up with your own damn recipe!

EXACTLY. fishtale was unable/unwilling to spend the money on a NWP brace, so he made one for himself. and he did a great job. i'm confident his intent was to simply SHARE his triumph with the rest of the forum. he didn't offer a cheap copies for sale, but was instead asked to make a few by those that were impressed with his creativeness. maybe i'm wrong, but i feel there's a strong difference.

once again fishtale, none of this is directed toward you! sorry for the threadjack.
I wasn't replying to you I was saying in general but your right I can agree with you.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:29 AM

hey no problem ppl. I just saw the nwp torque link and said hey I can make that so I made one tried it out and I liked it so I just offered to make some. There not made to be pretty nor anything fancing they are made to be functional nothing more not gunna try and sell out nwp but if ppl want them ill keep making them. Its up to them if they wanna buy them I might even buy a nwp when I wanna spen alot just because.it is a superb product I made it just to say that I did thanks for all the imput thanks
Old 11-01-2011, 08:26 PM

Just funny cause I saw that coming when I saw this made.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:02 AM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Originally Posted by luvlexus101
Just funny cause I saw that coming when I saw this made.
I dont even see the point dukes .
Old 11-02-2011, 04:51 PM

So this weekend I will be making some more engine braces. also am going to try and design a transsmisson mount because I heard they fail shortly after yoh install the engine brace
Old 11-02-2011, 08:29 PM

Try to make a brace that connects to the trans mount and mounts somewhere good as well so we can tie down that side too. It would make it more secure and take off some of the stress on the existing brace and the trans mount.

It would also help with my hard shifts
Old 11-03-2011, 07:00 AM

Try to make a brace that connects to the trans mount and mounts somewhere good as well so we can tie down that side too. It would make it more secure and take off some of the stress on the existing brace and the trans mount.

It would also help with my hard shifts
I made a 3M Windoweld tran mount and it has pretty much cured that movement. I actually have 3M in all 4 mounts now. I'm lov'n it!
Old 11-03-2011, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by nismopc
I made a 3M Windoweld tran mount and it has pretty much cured that movement. I actually have 3M in all 4 mounts now. I'm lov'n it!
I'm actually getting some inserts for them that Knight is making so thats going to be cured but I would have liked to have a brace there anyway just to try it out before I get those inserts. But judging from looking at it I don't see a practical mounting point for a brace on that side so I guess its not a very "good" idea.

My experience with torque links is they usually try to tie down the drivetrain at the middle somewhere which makes them even more effective and more "rough". But since this one is on the passenger side it does the job without the extra "roughness" so it meets it in the middle for both track and everyday use. So its sufficient at what it does and you can thank NWP for finding the "best" location for one on our cars.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

So this weekend I will be making some more engine braces. also am going to try and design a transsmisson mount because I heard they fail shortly after yoh install the engine brace
and i say kudos on that. personal innovation of an identified need within the community.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:56 PM

So this weekend I am going to try and design a transmission mount because I heard they fail shortly after you install the engine brace
good luck with this. the problem is there aren't as many easily accessible mounting points on the passenger side. and we Max owners are lazy
Old 11-03-2011, 01:37 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by Cant_Get_Ryte
and i say kudos on that. personal innovation of an identified need within the community.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:15 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Originally Posted by nelledge
you laugh, lol. I have a DGK sticker on my car that says I Heart Biters..>But I Really Dont....<
Old 04-30-2014, 02:38 PM

I'm back!

Bump for business going to be making some more check my for sale thread for updated info

Quick Reply: Torque link