5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Maxima Line no more in the future

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 12:26 PM

Maxima Line no more in the future

Heard it from a reliable source in the industry that Nissan will terminate the MAXIMA series. Heard about this?
Old 10-20-2011, 12:29 PM

I don't think anybody wants to hear this!
Old 10-20-2011, 12:51 PM
^ Jeff™

The reliable source never said anything to media...
Old 10-20-2011, 12:57 PM
RR5

Would be very shocking and sad to see this happen.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:03 PM

Not surprising to me. The Altima and the Maxima are currently too similar to be sold together under the same brand.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:07 PM

Nothing pops up on about this.

If I were Nissan, between the Maxima and Altima lines I'd probably stick with Maxima - it would make more sense, as they have much more of a history with it. Then again, I'm not Nissan.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:28 PM
Get Off My Lawn

I'll see it when I believe it.

(Yes, my phrasing is intentional.) Ain't gonna happen.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:11 PM
You embarrass me.

Cause the 7th gen doesn't sell? Doubtful. Unless they plan something radical to change their lineup completely, I don't see this happening.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ
Cause the 7th gen doesn't sell? Doubtful. Unless they plan something radical to change their lineup completely, I don't see this happening.
This.

Unless Toyota drops the Avalon, Chevy w/ the Impala, Ford w/ the Taurus, Buick's Lacross, Hyundai... I can go on and on, unless nissan steps it's game up with the Altima CONSIDERABLY.

The lack of certain features availiable on the Altima even on the most feature loaded top of the line model is still a few notces below the base Maxima.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Nissan will terminate the MAXIMA series. ]
Old 10-20-2011, 02:53 PM

Go back to the 70/80's. The Maxima and Stanza (now named Altima) were almost identical platforms as well. This has been a common trait between the two for many years until they came out with the butt @$$ ugly "Stanza Altima" in 1992. If any one recalls, the Stanza badge font was real tiny under the larger Altima badge.

It wasn't until 2002 (some might argue 2004) when Nissan sort of went back to the true sibling roots of the two cars.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:59 PM

If Nissan were to get rid of one, it would probably be the Maxima, not Altima. Altima is one of the best selling vehicles in the U.S. The Altima is in the top 20 of all vehicles sold here, the Maxima isn't even on the list.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:02 PM
You embarrass me.

True, but the Altima hasn't really overlapped with the Maxima since 03. Once the 6th gen came out, it distinguished itself as a larger, more full size and "upscale" platform. I'd agree when the 02 Altima came out, it actually had more room and the same motor as the 5.5 gen. At this point, the 7th gen is so far distinguishable as a near-luxury car versus the midsize, Camry-competitor Altima.

If the Altima gets moved up, there will be a discrepancy somewhere in the lineup and marketing most likely wouldn't make up for it.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by EuroDriver
Nothing pops up on about this.

If I were Nissan, between the Maxima and Altima lines I'd probably stick with Maxima - it would make more sense, as they have much more of a history with it. Then again, I'm not Nissan.
Altimas are undercutting Maxima sales massively.

Look at it from the typical buyer, not the enthusiasts' standpoint, when shopping for a new car:

A fully-loaded 7th gen is anywhere between 37 and 38k. Two to three thousand more, and you can get an Infiniti that comes with the exact same bells and whistles, and then some.

Or, for quite a few grand less, you can get a fully-loaded Altima that comes with a few less horsepower, and all the same features that the Maxima offers.

Unfortunately for the Maxima, it falls into a tight spot when it comes to price competition within Nissan's price ranges.

Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ
Nissan Ellure.

Still in concept. But looks strikingly similar to the Maxima from many angles. Check out the concept page on Nissan's website...
Old 10-20-2011, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Brett
Still in concept. But looks strikingly similar to the Maxima from many angles. Check out the concept page on Nissan's website...
I'm seeing a Sonata front grille on that Ellure.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:56 PM

would be sad to see the maxima go. The altima does sell more, but the maxima has now become the large luxury sedan for nissan. Will believe it when it is no longer rumor.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:02 PM

I'll just take a quick, twenty-five minute drive to Nissan USA HQ and knock on the CEO's front door.

Be back shortly.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
I'm seeing a Sonata front grille on that Ellure.

Fair enough. But, looking at the car from other angles, I see a bit of the 7th gen's body lines mixed into the whole mess.

It'd be interesting to see this "Ellure" concept in a more complete form.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Waxima
Not surprising to me. The Altima and the Maxima are currently too similar to be sold together under the same brand.
Maximas will be a classic soon enough...haha...
Old 10-20-2011, 05:43 PM

Fair enough. But, looking at the car from other angles, I see a bit of the 7th gen's body lines mixed into the whole mess.

It'd be interesting to see this "Ellure" concept in a more complete form.

I'm not feeling it at all. The designers are trying too hard, and it shows.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:45 PM

You've gotta remember, that's just a concept. Most concepts look pretty ridiculous until the automaker goes over them with a fine-tooth comb.

I remember seeing concepts of the 2010 Mustang...it looked terrible. When it actually hit the streets, the car was actually pretty attractive for what it was.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:50 PM

Fair enough, Brett.

For example, it's not like we're ever going to see the Infiniti Essence on the road.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:01 PM

Actually, I'd love to see the Essence on the road.

Only problem is, I bet being an Infiniti would put the Essence's pricetag in GT-R range. And well, at the end of the day, which would you rather have when it comes to performance?

Have you heard of Nissan's Esflow concept? Looks somewhat like the Essence revamped as a Nissan. And it's terribly ugly.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:08 PM

Altimas are undercutting Maxima sales massively.

Look at it from the typical buyer, not the enthusiasts' standpoint, when shopping for a new car:

A fully-loaded 7th gen is anywhere between 37 and 38k. Two to three thousand more, and you can get an Infiniti that comes with the exact same bells and whistles, and then some.

Or, for quite a few grand less, you can get a fully-loaded Altima that comes with a few less horsepower, and all the same features that the Maxima offers.

Unfortunately for the Maxima, it falls into a tight spot when it comes to price competition within Nissan's price ranges.

Nissan Ellure.

This is what happened to the I35 in the wake of the G35. The Maxima then is the Altima now. So, I do believe it's quite possible. It's all about numbers, bottom line.

Last edited by spock; 10-20-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:24 PM
Get Off My Lawn

They will do a complete redesign before they will do away with the "flagship" ...... the Maxima. But I am just continuing to accost the horse that is already dead.

My interpretation of the OP: current gen is going to end and a complete redesign be introduced. If we look at history, designs used to carry along at approximatley 5 year intervals or less depending on sales.

I hope everyone can see this for what it is and not get caught up in what is obviously a cherry bomb that has been lit under this forum to stir stuff up. Good job OP. Willing to name your source?
Old 10-20-2011, 06:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

):
Old 10-20-2011, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by sek11172
):
Post reported.

Find useful ways to get your post count up instead of just spamming random threads.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:07 AM
RR5

The Maxima is more than an Altima body with a better engine/more options. What about 4DSC?

I have even thought about going for an Altima versus Maxima simply because of the cost difference. Then I woke up.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:30 AM
dot dot dot ...

Post reported.

Find useful ways to get your post count up instead of just spamming random threads.

Because I'm in the mood... Thx for the report.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:59 AM

Not the Maxima! We'll be Doo0000000000oooooooomed!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20XhC...eature=related

Last edited by infinimax96; 10-21-2011 at 02:19 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:00 AM

the problem is the Maxima is it's the right price for the wrong price. you get a LOT for your money, but it's still a LOT of money. nissan is competing above their class with their flagship.

but Nissan isn't marketing their cars in the same way as most manufacturers. Nissan has segmented their markets in a very strange way. compare it to ford with their 3 product line: nissan = ford, the Maxima single-handedly is the mercury line, and Infiniti = lincoln.

it's the Altima, camry, accord, etc; then the Maxima jumps up to acura and lincoln territory; and Infiniti is rivaling bmw and lexus and such. there's no gaps so to speak in the line of vehicles between Nissan and Infiniti, but people are forgeting the much larger picture. Nissan is playing the ENTIRE field; anyone can buy a Nissan/Infiniti while with other manufacturers you can either buy low end or top end.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:42 AM

Heard it from a reliable source in the industry that Nissan will terminate the MAXIMA series. Heard about this?
I don't know the Maxima has been around for a long time. I see plenty of 7th gens on the road so its not like they are NOT selling them. But unless you are planning on buying a NEW Maxima it really doesn't affect us too much anyway. I would not buy a NEW Maxima because of NO 6 speed manual, I'm not a fan of those new CVTs! I'd just get a used G35 and mod that up.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:48 AM

Just wanted to point out. Remember that Ellure will prolly be a hybrid of some sort. This is where cars are going, heck it might even be full electric. Look at the Leaf, you could presume they are just going to continue growing on different hybrid + elec models. Toyota has a hell of a line up of hybrids now and it will still grow, and they are finally coming out with a somewhat more sporty and appealing hybrid model Prius C concept. It has similar traits in my eye resembles what this Ellure Concept is an appealing hybrid. Not some ugly steel box that gets good mpg.

What we should all take from this "insiders" rumorish comment is that... we should all hold on to our Maximas. Heck look on the bright side maybe it's value will go up being a discontinued model?
Old 10-21-2011, 08:20 AM

Old 10-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

300 HP driving the front wheels. Can't break the laws of Physics. If there's a new maxima with even more power, they will have to go AWD. If they do that, then they break in on the infiniti brand (RWD/AWD territory) and maybe even hurt Skyline Godzilla

Max and Godzilla are 2 different animals I know. I'm just sayin. Maxima is in a tough spot, but then so are other carmakers.

Acura with the TL has gone AWD because they had to. Profit must be real tight for that model. Toyota has the Avalon, Camry AND ES350...all 3 the same FWD platform. I dont know how Toyota does it, but they do, and do it well.

Over here in Nissan world the I30/I35 was killed because Maxima rules. Altima is undeniably the new king, but Maxima is legend.

If it were up to me, I'd keep the maxima at 300 HP, give it the best VQ35 with intake and exhaust variable timing, then limit the Altima VQ35 to exhaust timing only or something like that. Honda does that with the Accord and TL.

DW
Old 10-21-2011, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
Altima may be king, but Maxima is legend.
ooh if only this would fit in my sig, haha
Old 10-21-2011, 11:07 AM

Honestly it is not a big deal to me. Personally the maxima had died to me after the 5.5 gen. Everything after that to me just became worse and worse especially with the introduction of the cvt trans.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:43 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Originally Posted by Shift_Max
Honestly it is not a big deal to me. Personally the maxima had died to me after the 5.5 gen. Everything after that to me just became worse and worse especially with the introduction of the cvt trans.
I do agree with this. Unless Nissan does something to improve the Maxima, my 2003 will be the newest version I'll own. I'd much rather have a new infinity MX model; all wheel drive.....essentially AWD Maxima.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
I do agree with this. Unless Nissan does something to improve the Maxima, my 2003 will be the newest version I'll own. I'd much rather have a new infinity MX model; all wheel drive.....essentially AWD Maxima.
I agree with this too, im gonna try to hold on to my 5.5 6spd for as long as i can. I know a guy with 4th gen 5 spd with 600 miles! lol You will NEVER see me drive a newer max other than the 5.5 or lower. Push comes to shove, i will take a 6 speed G anyday!
Old 10-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I keep hearing people mention an Altima that's got everything that the Maxima has. This is not the case. The Altima is smaller. It doesn't have the level of interior the Maxima has. It doesn't have the level of noise isolation the Maxima has. It's a different experience. And the fact that the Maximas are everywhere on the road tells me they are here to stay for the foreseable future. That's like saying the Jetta and A3 are the same car, so just buy the cheaper Jetta. Totally not true. Sharing base platforms and some basic parts does not make 2 cars the same.

Quick Reply: Maxima Line no more in the future