5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

My newest protoype

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 08:09 PM

ok cool, but if someone wants mine in the mean time its up for grabs.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:48 AM

Just wanted to know how much time it took to change the passanger side mount? Im going to install oem mount, so if someone wants my old 1 let me know.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
My Apologies guys, but after seeing pictures, it looks like i ****ed this up. The only thing i can think of to do right now is I have been getting inquiries to sell more of these. So if it is ok with those that have bought them, I suggest that you sell the pair of pucks that wont fit on the drivers side, and i will go back to the drawing board and redesign that side. If you guys sell the pair for 65 shipped, you will break even and then we'll work something out for the drivers side when i get some time.
I'm not sure what went wrong, but if you guys can wait for a while I will correct this. From the looks of the pictures i have seen, it looks like both the 6mt and the auto need some tabs ground off the chassis bracket, and I have to make the pucks a little thinner. The 6mt tabs are hidden and pretty well impossible to see until the rubber mount is removed.

So for now, guys, if you want to purchase a set of my mounts, please contact the guys who have bought them, (see the list) and arrange for payment. When I get some time I will redesign the drivers side and make sure they fit on my car before putting them "on the market"

On a side note for Bob, I don't use metric most of the time when I machine. If i get a metric drawing i convert it to imperial. But for stating sizes and such in here it was easier to say 86 mm rather than 3.385" as it isn't a fraction Even when i made the prototype, i new the size in metric, then converted to imperial, then added the percentage to compensate for shrinkage, then rounded up to a nice even number. LOL then I machined it to the imperial size.

The new prototype might just be as simple as making the flange a lot more narrow, or I will change the angle of the taper, and the thickness. But I need to remove a chassis bracket and measure it up with a vernier off the car.
No apologies necessary Ray. That's why the term PROTOTYPE is appropriate, sometimes it's a perfect solution, or more often it's "back to the drawing board". A 50% success rate is pretty good IMHO, if I had a dime for each time I went through a design revision I'd be richer than Bill Gates! We had a project one time IIRC that was up to Rev K before it worked right. Plus the more I see, read, and 'chew on' an idea for a mod. The more I realize it's tough to interpret/better what the Nissan engineers are doing on a part. They're pretty smart guys when you come down to it, since we can only imagine what design parameters they were challenged with and solved.

Anyway, enjoy your vacation. I'll compile my stuff and PM you the results. I think if we all work together there's a good future solution in store.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:17 AM

I MADE my 6spd mount fit as i wanted to drive home haha. I'll post pics up later. The tabs on the inside of the housing can't be seen until you get the old mounts out, which is unfortunate.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:01 AM
a.k.a. STuNtMAN

In for the pics most definite
Old 01-13-2012, 09:13 AM

Trimming some off either edge and grinding down the center pin won't solve the problem as a sort of ghetto fix?
Old 01-13-2012, 09:16 AM

That's what I was thinking luvlexus but I think it would be a little more involved then that to get an accurate fit. Instead of risking destroying the insert I rather just cut the tabs and bend the brackets to make it fit.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:41 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by luvlexus101
Trimming some off either edge and grinding down the center pin won't solve the problem as a sort of ghetto fix?
This will work. It won't require extreme modification to the OEM assembly to get these inserts to fit. I really want to upgrade mine, but after close inspection of the original transmission mount and no tearing I am opting to wait for a redesign. I don't like grinding parts for fitment if it is avoidable. However if you didn't check for fitment before you demolished the old mount, you may as well proceed with some mechanical manipulation.

Knight made a great prototype! As Pezz said, new products have developmental stages. That being said, the passenger mount is complete and I couldn't be any happier about being in the first group of Maxima owners to have this great product. Thanks, Ray! I can't wait for the 6spd redesign.

Preliminary Review: The passenger mount made everything much, much more solid. I definitely needed a new mount. So anything probably would have been better, but this mount should last the lifetime of the car. I have ES torque mounts, and the NVH did increase a bit after installing the Wrayth inserts. I'm sure they settle in after a couple hundred miles, but it's not a deal-breaker for a DD even if it doesn't. Too many checks in the plus column. I'll update with a better review after racking up some more miles.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:52 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by 2000_MAXIMA_KING
That's what I was thinking luvlexus but I think it would be a little more involved then that to get an accurate fit. Instead of risking destroying the insert I rather just cut the tabs and bend the brackets to make it fit.
Speaking from the perspective of my 6spd mount, I really don't think you would get the center bolt installed once you bend the bracket the necessary amount. I've seen the modification Chris made on his AT, but I would like to hear a play-by-play from someone that modifies the 6spd. Simple overview. The bracket: |_| The bracket after proposed bending: \_/ The mount: |__| The amount of bending necessary: _____ Good luck. Tell your wife you'll be late for dinner.

I'll be jealous if the 5spd's have it easier.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:18 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Originally Posted by BobPezz
Ray, I took some measurements on my 01 tranny mount. The bad news is Chris is right and no offense intended to him, I admire his tenacity and strength. But to get the mount in the AT body bracket he must have bent the living crap out of it!
No offense taken. I specifically noted the negotiating tools I utilized in this install. Re: BFH and BFC!
I will say, I did not bend the frame bracket "that" much. I measured it today and I got right at about 87mm. Now, that is after I removed my Wrayth tranny mount...I'm sure the bolt through the mount pulled it back together after I initially got it aligned and installed. I did get a rough estimate closer to where the bracket is attached to the frame on the driver's side. It seems I was right in that the bracket gets slimmer the closer to the body. I roughly measured the distance between the two sides of the bracket to be 83mm. Just enough difference to have made my life miserable that day!

After installing a new stock transmission mount today, the vibration and in cabin noise was cut in half. I no longer find myself feeling the need to put the car in neutral when stopped. But, if I do, the noise and vibration are almost non-existant.

My $.02 in regards to a modification. I think there has to be some care given if you don't leave some of the rubber insert touching the frame bracket....I have significant concerns it would most likely try to seperate. That was part of the beauty with the Wrayth two peice inserts, they were easy to install and held in place by the pin through them as well as secured in place by the brackets it sat between after isntallation.

However, I do think if you simply trim down one side, giving it a sharper angle, yet leaving the insert to surround the pin all the way out to the bracket, then the insert should remain in place, but still fit properly between the frame bracket. Either way, I'll let the expert work on this....as I make no claims of being one.

My tranny Wrayth mount has been listed in the 4 sale forum if anyone is interested. Honestly, not had much interest....hope everyone else has better luck!

Last edited by Chris Gregg; 01-13-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:22 PM

For now, I'm not sure what needs to be done to modify it. I really hate machining urethane, it always looks like crap when it is done. But give me some time to take a look at it when i get back from my holidays.
I sent my measurments, and revision ideas. With a 'quick and dirty' sketch of a universal puck design that could work for all mounts. I even took into account the tabs on the trans side. I sent it to your E-Mail address given for the payment. Hope that's OK.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:29 PM
Toolie

I haven't received anything yet.

BTY I pm'd all the guys who were interested in the second batch. Hopefully some of you will get some pm's with interest in buying.

Last edited by knight_yyz; 01-13-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:58 PM

I was outside doing some measuring/comparison on my 01 AT mount. It's not a straightforward design by any stretch, pretty weird IMO. No wonder you had such a tough time. After seeing what I saw I wouldn't even attempt it!
Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
No offense taken. I specifically noted the negotiating tools I utilized in this install. Re: BFH and BFC!
I would think RBFH & RBFCB! would be a more appropriate description of the 'fine adjustment tools' necessary.
My $.02 in regards to a modification. I think there has to be some care given if you don't leave some of the rubber insert touching the frame bracket....I have significant concerns it would most likely try to seperate. That was part of the beauty with the Wrayth two peice inserts, they were easy to install and held in place by the pin through them as well as secured in place by the brackets it sat between after isntallation.
The problems I noticed is that not only is the space between the ears of the body mount narrower, the bolt must go through at an angle and the location of the mount is asymmetrical. 'Knight' had no way of knowing that beforehand.
However, I do think if you simply trim down one side, giving it a sharper angle, yet leaving the insert to surround the pin all the way out to the bracket, then the insert should remain in place, but still fit properly between the frame bracket. Either way, I'll let the expert work on this....as I make no claims of being one.
I sent 'Knight' my measurements with an idea I came up with that could work with all the different mounts. It's a lot like you suggested except for thinning down all the pucks, more angle and using smaller spacers on the sleeve. 2 on the engine side 1 on the trans side to make up the differences and conform to the mounts without having to remove the ears. That way it'd only take 3 different parts, pucks, sleeves, and spacers. Fitment should be easier, it may be a bit less rigid, but that might not be such a bad thing from a vibration standpoint.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:13 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

correct mebif im wrong. Witg it narrowung to 83mm coyld u not grind the frame bracket open 4mm or so to make it eastier for install and bypass the nhv? Im sourcing a tranny mount tommorrow if im lucky. Thw passnefer has been stripped and piwdercoated alelready.

So again. 4 inch grinder to open the bracket 4mm instead of bending?
Old 01-14-2012, 08:57 AM
Get Off My Lawn

That was my rough measurement. If you take metal off, you compromise that bracket. My bending it allowed me to squeeze the Wrayth inserts in, but it was VERY tight...as you may have read. I do NOT recommend similar installation. I did all that ONLY because I had no other mount to install after having my stock one pressed out. As this is my daily driver, not getting it to fit was never an option! So, I negotiated with extreme prejudice! LOL!

Ultimately, the changes need to occur with the Wrayth mounts themselves for those who want/need them for the driver's side.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:23 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

That was my rough measurement. If you take metal off, you compromise that bracket. My bending it allowed me to squeeze the Wrayth inserts in, but it was VERY tight...as you may have read. I do NOT recommend similar installation. I did all that ONLY because I had no other mount to install after having my stock one pressed out. As this is my daily driver, not getting it to fit was never an option! So, I negotiated with extreme prejudice! LOL!

Ultimately, the changes need to occur with the Wrayth mounts themselves for those who want/need them for the driver's side.
This.

There isn't enough metal on the brackets to just start removing material without professional discretion. Stress risers from asymmetrical material, geometric irregularities, and heat treat are a huge risk I would stay away from on any type of mount that holds a load. Best bet would be to be patient and allow Knight to design a new prototype. That's easier said than done. Especially, when you experience such great results from the passenger Wrayth inserts.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by nelledge
This.

There isn't enough metal on the brackets to just start removing material without professional discretion. Stress risers from asymmetrical material, geometric irregularities, and heat treat are a huge risk I would stay away from on any type of mount that holds a load. Best bet would be to be patient and allow Knight to design a new prototype. That's easier said than done. Especially, when you experience such great results from the passenger Wrayth inserts.
ALL Great points! I'm sure 'Knight' can design a great Trans Side mount. It'd be really nice if it's an easy install like the Engine Side mount and doesn't involve removing the tabs.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:37 PM

I'm still interested in seeing if anyone is able to remove material from either side of the puck mounts themselves and getting it to fit.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:06 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by luvlexus101
I'm still interested in seeing if anyone is able to remove material from either side of the puck mounts themselves and getting it to fit.
You would have to also shorten the metal sleeve. This isn't something you are going to want to attempt in your garage. However, send me 70 bucks for the inserts and 100 for a new trans mount to have on hand, and I'll take a hacksaw to mine and let you know how it turns out.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:13 PM

haha dude that looks sick!
Old 01-29-2012, 07:37 AM
Toolie

Well I just got back from an amazing trip to mexico. I am still in a lot of pain in the neck are so i will have to see some doctors about that. I was hoping I would be pain free by now. I have lot's of ideas on how to make the drivers side mount, i just need to get under a few hoods and get some exact measurements.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:38 AM
Toolie

For those who are interested I have a few sets of the passenger side mount for sale. I will be working on the driver side redesign ASAP.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:43 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

For those who are interested I have a few sets of the passenger side mount for sale. I will be working on the driver side redesign ASAP.
I'm looking forward to the 6spd driver-side redesign! Install of the Wrayth inserts coupled with the ES torque mounts has exaggerated the movement on the only old, stock bushing left. Do you have a time frame on that 'ASAP'? It sure would be nice to buy it before too many more autox events.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:09 AM
Toolie

When it gets warm
Old 02-20-2012, 07:29 AM

Knight, could you clarify what price and what (final) product, you're offering above? I've got a 4AT with a passenger mount that's trashed. I tried speed-reading the 12 pages of this thread but ran out of time on break @ work
Old 02-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Toolie

I can supply you with a two piece solid urethane mount for the passenger side. 65 shipped. Press out your old mount and mine will fit fine. I have to work on driver's side.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:26 PM

I can supply you with a two piece solid urethane mount for the passenger side. 65 shipped. Press out your old mount and mine will fit fine. I have to work on driver's side.
Let me know if you still have a passenger mount for sale. I'm interested.

Hope the guys who have them already are enjoying them.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:49 PM
Suspension Yoda

+1 - I'll buy a passenger side mount.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:12 PM
Toolie

I have a few passenger sides ready to go.

FYI, I found a 6spd mount, and now I am waiting for a new trans bracket which I ordered at the stealership. When it gets here i will redesign the mount to fit, then I will test fit on a friends 4at. I will modify it so that it will fit both cars.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:14 PM

I will modify it so that it will fit both cars.
Just a heads up, but the bolt pattern on the two transmissions are different. Youd have to modify the bottom part of the mount where it mates up to the transmission. You probably already know this but I thought Id let you know.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:49 PM
Toolie

The bolt pattern has nothing to do with the bushing size
Old 03-20-2012, 02:46 PM

The bolt pattern has nothing to do with the bushing size
Indeed, I forgot your product uses the original mount. When you talked about making it fit both I was thinking you meant make a universal mount and didnt realize the issue was bushing sizes. My apologies...
Old 03-22-2012, 02:04 PM

nice work
Old 03-27-2012, 08:15 AM

Got my passenger mount yesterday. Solid looking mount (in a good way). Getting it installed this weekend so I will give a review once I get it installed and when it breaks in like my ES mounts did.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:05 AM

Any passanger mounts left?
Old 04-12-2012, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by peachman
Any passanger mounts left?
I've got one for sale here; http://forums.maxima.org/8377021-post1.html PM if interested.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:23 AM
Toolie

I have a couple left.

Also got the 6mt bracket today so i can start work on drivers side
Old 04-12-2012, 06:18 AM

I have a couple left.

Also got the 6mt bracket today so i can start work on drivers side

Got mine installed a couple weeks ago and like it so far. I hope to do a full written review in a couple months when it breaks in a little.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:54 AM
Suspension Yoda

I'll also be installing a passenger mount in the next week or two, will post my impressions
Old 04-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Toolie

The motor mount on the left is my original design for the passenger side mount. The Drivers side mount is actually 6mm smaller in width than the passenger mount. I'm not sure how i missed that when i measured my original drivers mount. Anyway, you can see that I have had to change the angle so that the "point" of the cone will fit into the tabs on the bracket side of the mount. And i also made the cone 3 mm shorter so that when you put 2 together you end up with 6mm less. I will make a plastic prototype next and see that the bracket and the mount can fit together. Then i will have to try it on an auto.

Quick Reply: My newest protoype