5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Passenger side window problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 02:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Passenger side window problem

I cannot get my passenger window to roll down. I took off the door panel to see if I can spot the problem but didn't notice anything mechanically wrong with it. While playing with the passenger side switch, I noticed that if I try to roll it up(even though its already at its limit), I can hear it trying to move up. However, if I try to roll down, I don't hear anything.

I'm no expert but my guess is that the motor can't be the culprit if it tries to roll up. I'm not sure what else it could be except after looking on the forums here, I guess that the main switch can also be a probable cause though my symptoms differ somewhat from the others. Has anyone else come across this issue and what did you end up doing to fix your problem? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:53 PM

I had window motor / harness and plug problems in my 5th Gen..long story short I searched and searched and searched...ended up going to a Nissan dealership and the answer was so obvious it made me feel dumb. While I cannot give you an answer to your question directly..i can say that as a last resort if it starts to irritate you...take it to a dealer... It can't hurt!
Old 05-20-2012, 03:57 PM

I would replace the motor/regulator and master switch before I ever brought my car to the dealership. Is it just your passenger window? Can you roll it down with the master switch? Does your master switch roll down everything else normal? Did this happeb suddenly or did it show slow symptoms that lead to total failure?
Old 05-20-2012, 04:15 PM

Not sure I would bring my car to the dealer for a window unless, like 2damax said, the regulator and switch had been replaced.

One way you can test the switch is to pull the plug from the regulator/motor, and test the terminal on the right (looking at the plug with the clip on the top) with a voltmeter. If it shows ~12 volts when the switch is pressed down, then it's the regulator. If it doesn't show 12 volts, then it's most likely the switch.

Our Rav4 had the passenger side switch go out and it would roll up, but not down. Switch tested 12 volts when pressed up, and 0 volts when pressed down. New switch from salvage yard, and it has been perfect ever since.

-Nathan
Old 05-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 2damax
I would replace the motor/regulator and master switch before I ever brought my car to the dealership. Is it just your passenger window? Can you roll it down with the master switch? Does your master switch roll down everything else normal? Did this happeb suddenly or did it show slow symptoms that lead to total failure?
Yes, it is just my passenger window. I cannot use my master switch to open the passenger door but my master switch will open all other windows. My passenger switch doesn't open the window either. This problem just happened all of a sudden. We went to church one Sunday, it was working fine on our way to church then didn't work on our way home. I hesitate to change out the master switch simply because my other windows open but that doesn't mean that the switch is still faulty.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:00 PM

Master switch probably isn't the issue mate. If the master switch doesn't work on the passenger window either then it's more likely to be the regulator/motor assembly.

-Nathan
Old 05-20-2012, 05:04 PM

Go with #4 these are easy problems to diagnose. Can only be a few things. Just say no to the stealer!
Old 02-01-2014, 09:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Help

motor regulator? I'm a girl of course. Just bought a 2004 chevy tracker 2 weeks ago and keep bringing it back for window issues. They sprayed them. Few days later brought it back in driver side window crawled up and stopped halfway. They kept it and told me the put a motor in didn't work so they put new PULLEYS IN. He said we splurged for the part $200.00. I said will that help all the windows he said no just the driver side. I said they all have issues. Sometimes they roll up slow sometimes they crawl and sometimes they roll down slow and I can't afford to fix all this. He just shook his head as if to say there is no window issues. Now this is not covered on a used car warranty. IDK what to do. Got to another garage and have them tell me and bring car back to the dealer who sold it. All those window have issues except for the one he just fixed on driver side. I paid 5,500 for 2005 chevy tracker.