5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How important is it to balance flywheel and pressure plate

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 11:44 AM

How important is it to balance flywheel and pressure plate

I got my fidanza and exedy stage 1 in last night. The fidanza states you should get the assembly balanced even tho the cnc is very accurate.

How important is this and how many of you have done this or havent done this and what it cost you please. Thank you.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Gram Lights addict

balance the flywheel? never heard of anyone doing this to their new fidanza. I didnt do it either and never had problems. where did you read such thing? I expect it to be pretty uniform.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by QT1 5MT AE
balance the flywheel? never heard of anyone doing this to their new fidanza. I didnt do it either and never had problems. where did you read such thing? I expect it to be pretty uniform.
The paperwork that came with the fidanza says
"since this is a cnc machined aluminum flywheel it is very close to the correct balance, but you should always check the balance with your clutch pressure plate and your particular engine - especially if it is an external balance configuration."
Old 09-10-2011, 12:15 PM
Gram Lights addict

since you put it on already, its too late for you to worry about all that. i dont think anyone on here has done that. I dont even know how you would go about balancing this combo but im no mechanic. dont worry about it.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by QT1 5MT AE
since you put it on already, its too late for you to worry about all that. i dont think anyone on here has done that. I dont even know how you would go about balancing this combo but im no mechanic. dont worry about it.
Sorry by in I meant arrived. I do not have it in but I do have the engine and tranny out of the car waiting on this. Obviously if I want to do the balance I have to wait till monday wich will set me back. Machine shops offer flywheel balancing. Its a similar process to balancing a wheel and tire.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:41 PM
Gram Lights addict

i wouldnt touch that flywheel. it sounds like they want you to balance the flywheel and PP combo. again i cant recall anyone on this board doing this, just wait for more knowledgable people to step in.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:22 PM

This is just a CYA for Fidanza. That way if something happens to the flywheel, etc, and you didn't get it balanced, well, you're screwed.

Also, TECHNICALLY you are supposed to balance the assembly, but it's rare to see that happen
Old 09-10-2011, 03:23 PM
Toolie

I don't think our engines are balanced externally. I think it my be for engines that have an external harmonic balancer
Old 09-11-2011, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
This is just a CYA for Fidanza. That way if something happens to the flywheel, etc, and you didn't get it balanced, well, you're screwed.
I would agree with the CYA statement, although I think that it goes beyond sidestepping the liability if the flywheel is damaged. I think that they want to cover their backsides in case any of their customers turns their engine into a grenade.

Having a rotating mass that is out of balance will shorten the life of any engine, especially one that is taken into higher RPMs on a regular basis.

Basically an improperly balanced rotating assembly will vibrate and shake itself to death at high revs in the form of a spun crank bearing or something... the next thing y'know, there is a rod coming out of the oil pan.

That is why balancing and blueprinting is so important when building ultra performance builds that will see insane revs. When it comes to bolt-on where there is not a complete teardown and rebuild, you have to use quality parts and hope that the factory did a fair job.

Going to an engine builder with onsite machining would be the way to take this to the far extreme.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:15 PM

I think fidanza wants you to get it balanced with the pressure plate attached. I did that with my cars. You can argue that it is a waste of money and for the most part I'll agree with you because when you by top of the line parts, there should be no problems. But when you have the parts balanced as an assembly, you eliminate the "should be" and change it to "are".
Old 09-11-2011, 03:52 PM
The original VQ...

I have never done it, but its recomended . like the guy above said they want you to balance the pressure plate and flywheel bolted together.

I honestly couldnt tell you a shop in my area I would trust to do something like ths, which Is why I have never done it.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:25 PM

Update: I am the OP and I did not get it balanced and installed in car and I have no issues