5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Sigh, Velocity Stack Round 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by BobPezz
Can this filter be cleaned when it gets dirty, or is it a "throw away" like "stock" filters?
It's washable!
Old 09-12-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
It's washable!
Is it? I wasn't aware that it was. Apexi's website says that it's maintenance free and doesn't say anything about washing it.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
With the Apexi filter, the bellmouth and filter are integrated together. I'm not sure if the base diameter of it is 6" or not, but it does neck down to 3". Apexi does call their Power Intake filter a dual funnel. The bellmouth on the bottom, and the cone on the top to smoothly direct airflow downwards.

As far as the Apexi being loud due to turbulence, that would be highly unlikely since it was designed for virtually turbulence-free airflow. I believe their loudness is caused by the synthetic filtering media that is used. It doesn't muffle as much sound as other types of filtering media, at least from my conclusions.

The lower body and inner cone from what I found out is made of a hard resin, and has two bolt hole patterns for an adaptor.

As far as what exactly the filtering media is made of, I haven't been able to find out anything exact. So far the only info I've been able to get doing some research is that it's made from a synthetic dry (no oil) density fibers. The material is thin enough to easily see light through it, yet it's dense enough to be really strong, and it has one of the highest filtering efficiencies on the market. I haven't been able to find out what the micron size it filters to, but in north Florida with all the sand and dust on the roads, the inside of my Berk intake tube is squeaky clean. I occasionally take a small soft bristle brush vacuum attachment to it to get the sand off of the filter.
This is washable (R2C) and If I were you next time you purchase another Apexi I would attempt to clean the old one.....By placing it face down in enough soapy water that it doesn't flow over into the interior and rotate it in a clockwise and counterclockwise motion! Until you're satisfied it's clean and rinse it doing the same thing and shake it dry using compressed air spreads the fibers apart and stretches the weave allowing possible particles in.....After the shaking dry let it seat and dry for a day or two....
I think that Apexi has a 4.5- 5" base if that! I've seen them and worked on a couple of Maxima's with them and they're definitely smaller than a 6" inlet filter....

Last edited by CMax03; 09-13-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:13 PM

I'm definitely going to look into getting one of the drop in units for the stock air-box. Should work great with the CAD-mod.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:07 PM

Found a few detailed pics of the Apexi. Here is the rear, and you can clearly see the metal threads. Mine screwed down nice and snug, no fitment problems with the supplied Apexi adapter whatsoever.

In this pic you can see the top cone that tapers down to direct airflow downwards, and a better view of the mounting holes as well.

Apexi is nice.....BUT the biggest base diameter I seen on their site was 3.35".....they dont even offer a true 3.5" opening at the base of the filter...and that screw on crap is a PITA to find something to match up with that.....now AEM had ALL KINDS of base openings on their dry filters.....I seen one user that had a 6" JWT filter with a Vstack....you can do the same with the AEM....get the 6" base opening and order a 3" OR 3.5" Vstack from BPI....virtually same thing. I like more options.........SPARKS used this setup to make 285hp.....so must be good. AND he had dyno's to prove it.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ton-3-5-a.html
Old 09-13-2011, 12:18 AM

Is it? I wasn't aware that it was. Apexi's website says that it's maintenance free and doesn't say anything about washing it.
Sorry I was referring to my R2C ......Sorry I responsed to the wrong question....I would try to clean one and see how it comes out....
Old 09-13-2011, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by ranmas2004
...and that screw on crap is a PITA to find something to match up with that
Apexi makes all kinds of adapter plates, in a variety of sizes, that bolt up just fine.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:17 PM

Ok, I just replaced the MAF in my car today...... Wow is all i can say; I was wondering where all my top end had gotten to.

As for my setup. Im running the BPI flowstack to a 6" AFE Dryflow filter. I still have the stock resonator in place. Rochester, is it even possible for me to delete the resonator off of my 3.0L?

Last edited by elytle16; 09-13-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:23 PM

Post some pics up when you get a chance
Old 09-13-2011, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by elytle16
is it even possible for me to delete the resonator off of my 3.0L?
Yes.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Yes.
Agreed, you can delete it or keep it as is. Get with Rochester and ask him where he got his intake pipe. Someone here on the Org makes them.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:07 PM

Knight_yyz makes them, but his midpipe won't work on the DE-K, you can of course ask him if he'd add the tube you need onto it. I'm sure He'd consider this accomodation.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:16 PM

Agreed, you can delete it or keep it as is. Get with Rochester and ask him where he got his intake pipe. Someone here on the Org makes them.
No, don't get with Rochester. I already said that my midpipe came as part of a SRI kit from a long-dead company called Frankencar.

And knight_yyz will make you a mid-pipe to support the 3.0L engine. It's no big deal, you just need two more vacuum leads of a smaller size than the VC breather.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
knight_yyz will make you a mid-pipe to support the 3.0L engine. It's no big deal, you just need two more vacuum leads of a smaller size than the VC breather.
This is what I was referring to. I remember you saying you had a frankencar midpipe, I just couldn't recall who you knew that made those midpipes here on the org. Sorry bout the confusion.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:58 AM

Ok, I'll talk to knight about the mid pipe. The flowstack came in the mail today so I'm going to take some pics and let you guys know if I can feel any difference. I'm going to install it in a little bit. Do you know what knight_yyz charges for the midpipe?
Old 09-19-2011, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by elytle16
Ok, I'll talk to knight about the mid pipe. The flowstack came in the mail today so I'm going to take some pics and let you guys know if I can feel any difference. I'm going to install it in a little bit. Do you know what knight_yyz charges for the midpipe?
You know what? I do, but he knows better, because he's the one selling it

If you're serious, just PM him... why would you ask us
Old 09-19-2011, 11:28 PM

You know what? I do, but he knows better, because he's the one selling it

If you're serious, just PM him... why would you ask us
Did.

As for the flowstack, I installed it, and I can feel a bit of a difference. It isnt any louder, but it does seem to deliver power smoother. My low RPMS def. feel stronger. But it's not a HUGE change.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:52 PM

And knight_yyz will make you a mid-pipe to support the 3.0L engine. It's no big deal, you just need two more vacuum leads of a smaller size than the VC breather.
or you can circumvent it by doing this

it's this from silicone intakes and some ace hardware parts

Stainless Steel Joiner with Water Injection/Probe Taps, 3.0"
Old 09-20-2011, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by McSteve
or you can circumvent it by doing this

it's this from silicone intakes and some ace hardware parts

Stainless Steel Joiner with Water Injection/Probe Taps, 3.0"
That set up will cause a ton of turbulence in the intake at one of the worst spots, right before the TB. You're better to have one tube branch off then branch off to the other 2 vacuum lines.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:37 AM
Toolie

I make a 3.0 version which looks very similar to the berk or frankencar setup
Old 09-20-2011, 07:46 AM

Knight_yyz makes them, but his midpipe won't work on the DE-K...
What? No...

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
I make a 3.0 version which looks very similar to the berk or frankencar setup
...and there it is.

OP, purchase a proper mid-pipe from knight_yyz and stop messing around with foam socks and what-not.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:52 AM
Toolie

Check the middle pipe, ignore the 'wood's sign. Also I rotated the Iacv pipes on the breather 90* recently.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:03 AM
Toolie

Crap, stupid autocorrect on my smartphone. Ignore "woods"... Ignore sold. Why can't you edit posts using mobile site?
Old 09-20-2011, 08:18 AM

That set up will cause a ton of turbulence in the intake at one of the worst spots, right before the TB. You're better to have one tube branch off then branch off to the other 2 vacuum lines.
Why will this cause all the turbulence?

The threads don't extend into the pipe itself and air takes like everything the path of the least resistence. Since there is all the suction going into the TB I don't think the air is getting redirected at all.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:21 AM

I thought this thing was pretty darn clever.

The water pipe fittings seem a little extreme looking, but overall... neat stuff, Steve.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:32 AM
Toolie

There will still be turbulence at the threaded holes
Old 09-20-2011, 08:06 PM

What? No...

...and there it is.

OP, purchase a proper mid-pipe from knight_yyz and stop messing around with foam socks and what-not.
Yeah I didn't know he was making them 3.0 ones on the regular, but apparantly he is, good to know!

I thought this thing was pretty darn clever.

The water pipe fittings seem a little extreme looking, but overall... neat stuff, Steve.

Neat yes, looks shiny, yes, and even a great idea, BUT:

There will still be turbulence at the threaded holes

Why will this cause all the turbulence?

The threads don't extend into the pipe itself and air takes like everything the path of the least resistence. Since there is all the suction going into the TB I don't think the air is getting redirected at all.
To clarify, the reason for the turbulence is not due to the threaded holes, or any specific material protruding into the intake stream pipe. The turbulence is caused by air being redirected and drawn from different locations. A standard single hole causes turbulence all by itself, to put 3 of them right next to each other will cause excessibe turbulence in the pipe. The worst part is its immediately before the TB, so it doesn't even have time to calm down, air is coming at this turbulent zone, and then the TB is causing it's own venturi effect trying to pull it in, the whole thing is just a bad design.

This is the reason any reputable company will make one pipe run off, then branch out from that farther down the line, as Knight_yyz's pipes do.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:21 AM

To clarify, the reason for the turbulence is not due to the threaded holes, or any specific material protruding into the intake stream pipe. The turbulence is caused by air being redirected and drawn from different locations. A standard single hole causes turbulence all by itself, to put 3 of them right next to each other will cause excessibe turbulence in the pipe. The worst part is its immediately before the TB, so it doesn't even have time to calm down, air is coming at this turbulent zone, and then the TB is causing it's own venturi effect trying to pull it in, the whole thing is just a bad design.
Bill Nye's got nothing on you, Tuner. Good explanation!
Old 09-21-2011, 05:27 AM

Is this honestly what I have missed since Ive been gone .GEEZZZZZ
Old 09-21-2011, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by perkman87
Is this honestly what I have missed since Ive been gone .GEEZZZZZ
Hi, Perk!

It's still the Org, which means the same old conversations keep going around and around.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:59 PM

Tee-hee . I'm def. interested.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:09 PM

Buy knight's pipe, make your own, leave the factory unit on... it's decision time!
Old 09-21-2011, 01:44 PM
dot dot dot ...

1.) Get a WB to monitor AFR
2.) Get an LRMAF
3.) Get a software aid, such as SAFC or EMU to make the LRMAF PnP
4.) Have knight make you a 3.5" pipe or buy one from www.siliconeintakes.com
5.) Get a velocity stack from the company of your choice & couplers
6.) Profit
7.) ????

Old 09-21-2011, 03:41 PM

Hi, Perk!

It's still the Org, which means the same old conversations keep going around and around.

Hey Rochester.

I know. I still scan this site daily. just don't post as much.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:45 PM

Kind of OT

how to I get rid of the 3 vacuum probes?

The big one is the crank case vent that I can just vent and put a filter on,
one controls the VIAS

what is the third?
Old 09-24-2011, 10:44 AM
Toolie

I think one is for the IACV. The smaller ones tee off the main breather
Old 09-25-2011, 07:55 AM

I think one is for the IACV. The smaller ones tee off the main breather
Nah IACV is fully electronic, step motor.

I don't recall what the 3rd one is for I'll have to check the FSM when I am at home, now I'm curious.... maybe it's faster to just go look but I'm feeling a touch lazy after a birthday weekend.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:36 AM

happy birthday!

it goes all the way to the upper left corner to the firewall into a metal T fitting with a electric plug in it. from there is a hose going to the powersteering or waterpump area? (front of engine).

Another OT question. When using the BOP and power rod removal, what happens to the swirl valves? are they stuck closed the entire time?
Old 09-25-2011, 11:42 AM

When using the BOP and power rod removal, what happens to the swirl valves? are they stuck closed the entire time?
I believe the swirl valves are located in the lower manifold, not the upper, and I also believe it was for the Cali emission cars. Not 100% sure if that applies to Infiniti's or not.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:56 PM

happy birthday!

it goes all the way to the upper left corner to the firewall into a metal T fitting with a electric plug in it. from there is a hose going to the powersteering or waterpump area? (front of engine).

Another OT question. When using the BOP and power rod removal, what happens to the swirl valves? are they stuck closed the entire time?
Thanks man.

It really bothers me not having the FSM downloaded on this computer, I'm never home anymore, but I can't find the damn FSM download link now! Now this is bothering me...

Quick Reply: Sigh, Velocity Stack Round 2