5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Custom so called ice box short-ram INTAKE

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 10:16 PM

Custom so called ice box short-ram INTAKE

So heres all these ideas and imaginations of how to make a cold air intake by either modifying you 4foot long injen or aluminum dryer hoses, with injen being as long as it is and running down next to the radiator not alot of people are a fan of that. I took alot of those ideas and drew hem out on a map(brainstorm) . Wih the Injen intake still shiny in its polished state i did not want to cut or bend it. I never liked the idea of dryer hoses or adjustable elbows becuse my theory is theres so much friction inside the tubes cuase it not to have a smooth flow, look at it from this way.

Dryer hoses/adjustable elbows = like rafting down a rapid river with jagged rocks and splashing water.

Mandrel bent/intercooler pipes = consistant and smooth like a relaxing calm river.

Just my theory i could be wrong, then again i will not work with dryer hoses. My main goal was to keep my ram as short as possible yet have it take in cold air consistantly. Pipe was just a 3" 45degrees intercooler pipe cut in half and ofcurse some black couplers and shorter air filter. Anways this is what i came up with. Bfore and after. Took about 4hours to make the heat guards and an additional 3-5 hours to relocate the battery tray(was in spring that i relocated it)

Before: i ran this way for about a month until i finally found time to modified it. Battey trey was takin apart and relocaed sideways with heat reflecto-wraps on one side of the battery.

Semi-finish but working great!! that reflecto wrap are cold and helping. They are wapped on .025 sheet metal that i had to cut out useing a jigsaw and cardboard as a template.

When i said semi-finish means i still want to make a air-diverter that will split air from the edge of the radiator to the cooling chamber and insulate that area a little better.

The real ? is any HP gains? i dont know for sure but i can tell u this, shorter intake, megan rs exhuast, warpspeed Y, cool air rushing through a 255stock hp of a VQ35 = A$$ kicking family sedan on a affordable budget.

Future mods and at thetop of my list are NWP block plate, Throttlebody spacer, and NWP intake manifold spacer but ill wait until park plug needs to be change so i can do all that at once.

Last edited by vq_ryder; 08-27-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:22 PM

Nice. Not a bad idea.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:00 PM

Good to see someone putting this into production,but you have to get some air in there somehow, can't block everything off. Oh andthe battery produces heat that needs to be disippated, any heat sheilds should be on the filter side of the battery, you do not want to insulate the battery in the summer.

I'd recommend drilling some strategic holes in the fenderwall
Old 08-28-2011, 12:40 AM

I'm highly considering building a heat shield much like this one for my short ram intake.

I think I'll drill a 3" hole in the fender wall much like you would do if you were installing a Cattman CAI. Then maybe use an adjustable elbow hose from the bottom of the 3" hole and bend it towards a lower inlet from the front bumper near the fog light. Then relocate the battery to the trunk and seal off the whole area around the cone filter and 3" inlet with heat guard.

Good write up. Hopefully I'll be able to accomplish some slight HP gains with some cooler air into my filter. It gets hot to the the touch if I've been cruising for a while. I'm sure some NWP spacers would help with that too.

Last edited by infinimax96; 08-28-2011 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:35 AM

seems effective
Old 08-28-2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Good to see someone putting this into production,but you have to get some air in there somehow, can't block everything off. Oh andthe battery produces heat that needs to be disippated, any heat sheilds should be on the filter side of the battery, you do not want to insulate the battery in the summer.

I'd recommend drilling some strategic holes in the fenderwall
it is semi-finish, im well aware that battery produce heat, i also said i will add more side insulation so ill remove the wraps on the on the battery side facing the motor and put a air diverter right before the batery and next to the radiator or come up with somthing like a duck bill like a 6gen throwing air to the filter.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by infinimax96
I'm highly considering building a heat shield much like this one for my short ram intake.

I think I'll drill a 3" hole in the fender wall much like you would do if you were installing a Cattman CAI. Then maybe use an adjustable elbow hose from the bottom of the 3" hole and bend it towards a lower inlet from the front bumper near the fog light. Then relocate the battery to the trunk and seal off the whole area around the cone filter and 3" inlet with heat guard.

Good write up. Hopefully I'll be able to accomplish some slight HP gains with some cooler air into my filter. It gets hot to the the touch if I've been cruising for a while. I'm sure some NWP spacers would help with that too.
sounds like a plan, but i was never a big fan of drilling into the fenderwall or anywhere around my engine in general, i dont mind doing it but knwing my self that i like changes every now and then, empty hole sittin there isnt vary attrative, even thoe no one is going to see but to he people who do aint going to be impressed, yet thats another extension to the ram anyhow, so it defeats my goal purpose.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by vq_ryder
it is semi-finish, im well aware that battery produce heat, i also said i will add more side insulation so ill remove the wraps on the on the battery side facing the motor and put a air diverter right before the batery and next to the radiator or come up with somthing like a duck bill like a 6gen throwing air to the filter.
Right on you've got this on a roll.

but i was never a big fan of drilling into the fenderwall or anywhere around my engine in general.........
empty hole sittin there isnt vary attrative,
Run ONE 3" hole, put a ducting piece,or rubber grommet around it, and just leave the holethere so air from the fenderwell can get in to the filter. The vacuum from the filter will pull it in, it doesn't have to be connected. This will also leave a clean OEM looking hole.

On another note, this is not an 'icebox', it needs to be sealed from the engine bay,have you considered puttinga rubber seal on the top of your sheilds to seal against the hood?
Old 08-28-2011, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Right on you've got this on a roll.

Run ONE 3" hole, put a ducting piece,or rubber grommet around it, and just leave the holethere so air from the fenderwell can get in to the filter. The vacuum from the filter will pull it in, it doesn't have to be connected. This will also leave a clean OEM looking hole.

On another note, this is not an 'icebox', it needs to be sealed from the engine bay,have you considered puttinga rubber seal on the top of your sheilds to seal against the hood?
i didnt say it was an official ice box, just "so-called" becuase it does have somwhat of the same aspects as a ice-box. i was going to completly isolate it into its own but seeing how tight the guards sits on the hood padding seems like its enough. but eventually i might put a cover on it. how can i tell? when i lift up the hood theres markings faint caved in lives on the padding of the hood and i can feel it making cntact with the guards when i put the hood down. mesrements were down to as close as possble with some cardboard templates before making final cutting on the metal sheets. but thanks for the great idea tho, its prbaly going to be a on-going thing for a while.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:08 PM

when i came to this thread i thought someone was finally taking the hondas comptech icebox design and throwing it to the maxima, which i've been thinking about

i want to go this route, i just havent had the time/patience/money to go through this..i guess my first thing would be to need to move my battery
Old 08-28-2011, 07:47 PM

An airbox big enough for my 6" inlet JWT filter is what I need as well!
Old 08-28-2011, 08:34 PM

i respect the template cause it's very similar to what k&n does. But at the end of the day a true CAI either derives it's air from the fender walls or lower parts of engine bay.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:28 PM

How bout relocating the fuse box and having more room for A bigger filter or even going into fender....is that A spectre filter?
Old 08-28-2011, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
i want to go this route, i just havent had the time/patience/money to go through this..i guess my first thing would be to need to move my battery
This is exactly why I haven't done it yet. I think moving the battery to the trunk is the best alternative. Either that or getting a smaller battery. I hate how big the battery is in our cars. Plus if you move it that leaves space for a big fat turbo.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by BronxSleeperMax187
How bout relocating the fuse box and having more room for A bigger filter or even going into fender....is that A spectre filter?
yeah a turbo would be nice, but cost alot of money and time, witch not everyone always have like me lol. fusebox relocate is a great idea except where and "how exacully" theres tons of wires connected to the box. thought about relocating battry to the trunk but i have a 12" sub and 2.3cubic in of a box there so it aint going to do me any good adding more junk to my trunk. yes its a spectra filter, couldnt find any brand name or better filter in a short form like spectre's.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
when i came to this thread i thought someone was finally taking the hondas comptech icebox design and throwing it to the maxima, which i've been thinking about

sounds like a great idea but depending on the that intake pipeing its going to take alot of modifying and cutting, ofcurse it was made for a inline 4 but if me or anyone try to accomplish this idea hopfully they rememeber to take off any wek-sos/honda/computech logos off of the component lol. that way to me itll look more flush.

Last edited by vq_ryder; 08-28-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:05 AM

sounds like a great idea but depending on the that intake pipeing its going to take alot of modifying and cutting, ofcurse it was made for a inline 4 but if me or anyone try to accomplish this idea hopfully they rememeber to take off any wek-sos/honda/computech logos off of the component lol. that way to me itll look more flush.
its "comptech" thats the company that made the icebox and from what i've read through the years, if i remember correctly its pretty much a replica of the mugen intake...either way (in a 5th gen) i see using a 4th gen air box, a nice/decent intake arm and filter and routing the piping down low, pretty much how the pic shows, just the maxima version of it. i'd like/love this option better because it still gives a OEM appearance. i wish our oem arm didnt have that 'square box/baffle' in it

but yea all the cutting, moving the battery etc is why i havent done anything with it