5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

If you've changed your cats or gutted them, step in

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Stormzusmc
not reading thread after people said reuse gaskets...

if youre cheap enough to not spend a couple bucks on gaskets then im sorry...

when you break the seal on a gasket or crush ring its not going to get compressed the same way so the metal fatigue on it is going to be at a different point....sounds gay and what not, but its best to spend a couple bucks to replace them before you drive down the road smelling your exhaust all day....

It's all set no leaks over here.It's not a matter of being cheap or not.Pre cat gaskets are not a crush gasket style gasket.Thanks for the negative input as usual stormz It is expected on here from time to time but i really don't give half a **** what people say unless it's something positive.Im not telling people to not use new gaskets but i didn't and my cars fine, Then again it's not a beat max with a million miles either.Just like when i dropped my car on the stock struts and everyone said don't do it it's gonna ride like a bag off *** and here we are months later and still riding mint with no blown struts or suspension parts.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:07 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by 036mtmax
Yep,it's a mesh that looks kind of similar to the back of your typical household a/c unit or like radiator fins.There so compacted in there it's crazy/I guess that's where the majority of the sound and power increase comes from when you get it out.
Looks like tunnel vision when you try & look at the sun with it. Insanely tightly packed honeycomb.

My 4th gens been on Eibachs and stock struts for 11 years

I'm cheap too, popped my IM off many times, never changed the gaskets, now w/ spacers, don't have to.

BUT, when I repaired the rear header, I did get new gaskets because of the PITA nature of the install.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 08-25-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Looks like tunnel vision when you try & look at the sun with it. Insanely tightly packed honeycomb.

My 4th gens been on Eibachs and stock struts for 11 years

I'm cheap too, popped my IM off many times, never changed the gaskets, now w/ spacers, don't have to.

BUT, when I repaired the rear header, I did get new gaskets because of the PITA nature of the install.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:39 PM

Im not sure if you can gut the front pre-cat on the car either because it's got that bend in it and the ceramic crap is on the top but i could be wrong
Old 08-25-2011, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35
how does one confuse front and rear precats
Beats me, Hotshot. It sure does seem to be going around in circles.

This is the front pre-cat for our cars:

The picture is an Eastern Catalytic product.

And here's the rear pre-cat:

And here's the main-cat:

Last edited by Rochester; 08-25-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:36 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Yep,it's a mesh that looks kind of similar to the back of your typical household a/c unit or like radiator fins.There so compacted in there it's crazy/I guess that's where the majority of the sound and power increase comes from when you get it out.
Two things.

First, I'm going to say that the majority of the sound difference comes from the front precat. I did that one first and it was night and day different. No discernible sound difference after I later gutted the rear. The front has a great deal more potential for turbulence than the rear. I'm going to stick with that correlation.

Second, many people(including Rochester's mechanic) have, indeed, gutted the rear precat while on the car. Lots of documentation out there on this board. It doesn't seem very efficient, but it can be done.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:07 PM

One of my biggest regrets in Maxima world is when I bought crappy aftermarket precats...Should've gut the old ones.And what is more dumb is I left my old ones at the mechanic
Old 08-25-2011, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Stormzusmc
not reading thread after people said reuse gaskets...

if youre cheap enough to not spend a couple bucks on gaskets then im sorry...

when you break the seal on a gasket or crush ring its not going to get compressed the same way so the metal fatigue on it is going to be at a different point....sounds gay and what not, but its best to spend a couple bucks to replace them before you drive down the road smelling your exhaust all day....
Thumbs up. You solved my problem playa.
I gutted my mid-cat and everytime I come out the car, I smell the burn coming right at me from the bottom. After reading your comment, I changed my gaskets and walaaaaaaaaa. Problem solved
Old 08-26-2011, 01:33 AM
RR5

Bought both front pre-cats from DaveB with all needed gaskets. If I recall, friend of mine installed the rear BANK 1 precat (firewall) and was saying something about extra gaskets. The front BANK 2 precat (radiator) was installed at a shop and I did not hear any complaints from the mechanic.

Another idea is to use the spray copper gasket over the exhaust gaskets, give it a few coats and it'll be good as new.

Why even take the chance of re-using the gaskets, unless you really want to go back under the car to troubleshoot some problems.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

With the right tools you can gut the rear precat while it's on the car. I'm sure it will take a lot longer to do but my bolts on the rear precat just wont come off. I havent tried heating them yet.

Rochester, what tools did your mechanic use to gut it while it was on the car?
Old 08-26-2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by nishfish871
With the right tools you can gut the rear precat while it's on the car. I'm sure it will take a lot longer to do but my bolts on the rear precat just wont come off. I havent tried heating them yet.

An impact chisel. Probably other things too, to clean it out to the walls, but I wasn't there for the work. When he started the rear cat, he was sure that was the best approach. By the time he was done (almost 2 hours later), he was re-thinking that decision.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by nishfish871

so he was blasting all the substrate and debris from inside the cat up towards your motor from the bottom ?? When we took it off it filled the whole shop with a huge cloud of ****. And as far as it getting gutted on the car well, I guess i would have to see it to belive it..I don't see how it's possible without cutting it and re welding it.

Last edited by 036mtmax; 08-26-2011 at 06:21 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:36 PM

so he was blasting all the substrate and debris from inside the cat up towards your motor from the bottom ?? When we took it off it filled the whole shop with a huge cloud of ****. And as far as it getting gutted on the car well, I guess i would have to see it to belive it..I don't see how it's possible without cutting it and re welding it.
Don't crucify me for reviving this thread, but I laid on my back with the car jacked up and I gutted the rear while on the car, I used a 1/2 inch drill bit, a spade bit the size of the hole in the cat, 10 inch long bent nose plyers, and a pry bar.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:20 PM

Would there be none between the y-pipe and each precat?

Also, I am trying to get OEM and trying to order them online but I'm having trouble finding them.