5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Injen COLD air intake - modification

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 12:04 PM

Injen COLD air intake - modification

As many of us will agree, the position of the Injen intake behind the radiator is not a brilliant idea… It sucks in a lot of warm air. I have been thinking about doing a modification to this intake but I am not sure how to proceed to do this nice and clean. Here is what I have in mind:

There is a plastic shield attached underneath the radiator. I imagine this shield keeps water and debris out of the engine bay. If I could make a hole on that shield, maybe about 4 or 5 inches in diameter, then put some kind of sleeve around the air filter that would be connected to the hole on the plastic shield, then I think the Injen would be a real cold air intake… and done properly, if the hole is at the right angle, this may also give some kind of ram air effect at high speeds?

What do you guys think? Any suggestions on what material to use to do this? Any drawbacks, like water wetting the filter on rainy days?
Old 08-12-2011, 12:15 PM

I remember seeing an old thread where somebody cut a hole in that shield, and ran a dryer hose from there up into the stock air box. He had a mesh screen over the hole to prevent large debris like pebbles from getting sucked up. It worked well though from what I understand. So as long as you're careful driving in wet weather, this idea seems pretty sound to me.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 02pearlmax
I remember seeing an old thread where somebody cut a hole in that shield, and ran a dryer hose from there up into the stock air box. He had a mesh screen over the hole to prevent large debris like pebbles from getting sucked up. It worked well though from what I understand. So as long as you're careful driving in wet weather, this idea seems pretty sound to me.
The dryer hose thing i tryed it when i had the short ram worked pretty good..... .. OP just don't drive thru big puddles
Old 08-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Banned

yes it would work fine, might be more work than it is worth though. Also you can position the injen so it is not directly behind the radiator. Just twist to towards the fender.

The best intake on our car is a fwi. period.

oh yeah you can't compress air at automotive speeds thus ram air doesn't really work the way most people think it does.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:36 PM

This would really "SUCK" in Florida. I swear we can have 12"s of rain every afternoon in the Summer. I have abandoned all attempts of a CAI by reinstalling my OEM box but deleting the Helmotz resonator.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Nismod00d
oh yeah you can't compress air at automotive speeds thus ram air doesn't really work the way most people think it does.
I'm sure you can. Stick your hand out the window going 80mph, you will feel the air pushing on your hand... How much force do you need to counter the effect of the wind? 15lbs, 20lbs... now what's the surface area of your hand? About 15 square inches... so divide 20lbs by 15in˛, you get a pressure of 1.33psig... that's not much, but it's better than nothing...

Anyhow, I'm not doing this for the ram air effect, I want to do this to get cold air in my engine. A ram air effect would be a plus...

Originally Posted by Nismod00d
Also you can position the injen so it is not directly behind the radiator. Just twist to towards the fender.
I already have.

Last edited by Gizm0; 08-12-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gizm0
I'm sure you can. Stick your hand out the window going 80mph, you will feel the air pushing on your hand... How much force do you need to counter the effect of the wind? 15lbs, 20lbs... now what's the surface area of your hand? About 15 square inches... so divide 20lbs by 15in˛, you get a pressure of 1.33psig... that's not much, but it's better than nothing...
just google ram air myth.

air is not compressible at automotive speeds. Even if it was having a filter would slow down the air so much it would 'uncompress'

now that being said it does help to have the air funnelled to your air filter but there is no compression of air.

Last edited by Nismod00d; 08-12-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:22 PM

I'm sure you can. Stick your hand out the window going 80mph, you will feel the air pushing on your hand... I already have.
What is the speed of the air in the inlet tract?
Old 08-12-2011, 01:24 PM

Turbo or compressor are the only way to go if you want some boost then... alright.

But I still need advice on what material to use to build this. A dryer hose would not work because the diameter is too small.

That might sound very ghetto, but I was thinking about a small plastic bucket with a 3" diameter hole at the bottom of the bucket. I would install it upside down, with the injen tubing going through the 3" hole, and connect the bucket to the plastic shield somehow... yeah this is very ghetto, but any better advice would be greatly appreciated...
Old 08-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Banned

it doesn't matter how ghetto it is no one will ever see it...I would use whatever you have lying around that doesn't cost you money.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Banned

SRI, 3''OD hose end A of the hose goes to the bottom of the grill. cut hose install electric supercharger some were in the middle of the hose, connect end B of hose to filter . Cold air short ram intake
Old 08-12-2011, 02:06 PM

^^ I'm trying to read behind the lines here, but can't really understand what you are tryna say... all I know is that those electric superchargers are the worst piece of $hit ever... they put alot of restrictions on the intake, and do more harm than good at high RPM...
Old 08-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Banned

there is a thread where someone did this already btw. forget what it is called.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:51 PM

Gizmo my man, abandon this idea. This set up will pick up every little bit of debris and you will not be able to drive in the rain at all, ever.

For the time and money you'd spend, it's just not worth it. It would be smarter to go with an SRI and try to seclude it from the engine compartment, then make some holes in the fender area to pull in cold air

Also, despite everyone hating on the injen, it does achieve colder air intake than an SRI, but the length of the set up on the 3.5 is what makes it a poor choice. It also doesn't acheive the coldest air possible by any means. So if you're looking for power (obviously you are), then ditch the injen and go SRI. If you want more power than that, build an icebox around the SRI.

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 08-12-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:44 AM

Before starting to butcher my car and have no gains, I temporarily removed that plastic shield and drove around to see if doing this would be worth the hassle. Well it does make a difference, especially when accelerating after idling for a little while at a stop light for example...

It may be worth trying to do this mod after all... I will just have to be careful not to drive on deep puddles... Now all I need is to find the correct material to do this thing.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:54 PM
Banned

^^ I'm trying to read behind the lines here, but can't really understand what you are tryna say... all I know is that those electric superchargers are the worst piece of $hit ever... they put alot of restrictions on the intake, and do more harm than good at high RPM...
Your not using the electric superchargers to add any psi to ur motor but to draw in cool air near your filter from ur wheel wheel...ect

So it will never really be connected to ur intake just the hose and u would put the other end of the hose pointed at ur filter
Old 08-13-2011, 03:35 PM

Well this thread is going downhill VERY FAST
Old 08-13-2011, 04:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Well this thread is going downhill VERY FAST
Old 08-13-2011, 04:11 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Before starting to butcher my car and have no gains, I temporarily removed that plastic shield and drove around to see if doing this would be worth the hassle. Well it does make a difference, especially when accelerating after idling for a little while at a stop light for example...

It may be worth trying to do this mod after all... I will just have to be careful not to drive on deep puddles... Now all I need is to find the correct material to do this thing.
As long as whatever you build around the filter doesn't seal it off and you don't drive through a puddle that completely submerges the filter you should be fine.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:59 PM

I would recommend using a naca duct instead of just cutting a hole. I've been underneath many cars that use various size naca ducts located in the underpanels for brakes, etc. Many naca ducts are available to even attach hoses to them to help route more air in the direction you're going. They would also be safer in the rain too unless you went charging at speed into deep water, which I wouldn't do regardless.

Then again I do like the enclosed insulated intake I had on my GTP from a company called Wizaired. It draws in air from the fender/core support area. Something like this would probably work on our cars, but to make a chamber big enough the battery would probably have to be relocated to the trunk.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
Then again I do like the enclosed insulated intake I had on my GTP from a company called Wizaired. It draws in air from the fender/core support area. Something like this would probably work on our cars, but to make a chamber big enough the battery would probably have to be relocated to the trunk.

This is what I was talking about with my 'icebox' comment. Like I said, convert to a SRI if you want more power. If you want more than that still, build this icebox.

And FYI you can easily make one without moving the battery to the trunk, all you have to do is move the battery over a bit and turn it 90 degrees.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
This is what I was talking about with my 'icebox' comment. Like I said, convert to a SRI if you want more power. If you want more than that still, build this icebox.

And FYI you can easily make one without moving the battery to the trunk, all you have to do is move the battery over a bit and turn it 90 degrees.
Ahhh, turn the battery... Cool I didn't think of that!
Old 08-13-2011, 08:54 PM

I would love to build something like that for my Stillen SRI. Today after driving around in 97 degree heat I touched my intake manifold and I actually could not hold it with out burning my hands! I wrapped half of the manifold and small intake pipe with aluminum foil and the heatsoak was less!
Old 08-13-2011, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Xpcgamer
I would love to build something like that for my Stillen SRI. Today after driving around in 97 degree heat I touched my intake manifold and I actually could not hold it with out burning my hands! I wrapped half of the manifold and small intake pipe with aluminum foil and the heatsoak was less!
Get these...

Old 08-13-2011, 09:13 PM

I know I know. I need to get a aftemarket Y Pipe and cool this manifold down a bit. I guess the mad heat comes from the motor and not the under hood temps?
Old 08-13-2011, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Xpcgamer
I know I know. I need to get a aftemarket Y Pipe and cool this manifold down a bit. I guess the mad heat comes from the motor and not the under hood temps?
I would assume both. The cats get very hot, then you have the air being drawn through the radiator, and then the heat coming from the engine itself.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:24 PM

Talk to CMax03. He and I had this discussion a year ago and hes already come up with an good intake. Even deletes that flat spot between 3rd and 4th (continues pulling).
Old 08-13-2011, 09:25 PM

Looks like with the spacers I need to wrap the entire IM with thermal tape. Back on topic now SORRY !
Old 08-13-2011, 11:40 PM

This is a modified 00' ram scoop wrapped in a gutter piece from home depot and wrapped in heat resistant tape and then gorilla tape. It has a drain plug and the entire length beyond the scoop is ribbed to prevent water from splashing up into the filter. It sits right behind the bumper and is attached with 3 zip ties and never moved. It was used with a k&n 3" inverted cone filter and with great success in a timed trial at low speeds. The dB level increased significantly with this setup. I am no longer using this setup, and I'm willing to sell the ram piece. Shoot me a pm if you're interested. It is pretty difficult to make work, and this took a lot of time to get it just right.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by LI_Max_WOT

AtleastyouusedaKnN

Old 08-14-2011, 10:02 PM

That's a pretty good water/dirt/rock scooper you have there! That intake is too long to make high power with.......
Old 08-15-2011, 12:06 AM

... All jokes aside... This was an experiment to see if I could create a ram air effect with a scoop underneath the bumper. In a timed trial the effect of this setup decreased 20-60mph in 2nd gear 0.3s. The system was designed as a prototype and was never finished because I figured the drag (which is very slight but noticeable) created would counteract any positive effects. I currently run a short ram intake which is tuned for mid-range power.

CMax03 That's a pretty good water/dirt/rock scooper you have there! That intake is too long to make high power with.......
The scoop was used in all weather conditions without any adverse effect for an extended period of time. This intake was used on an otherwise stock maxima and not intended to make high power.

TunerMaxima3000 AtleastyouusedaKnN
Only the best

Last edited by LI_Max_WOT; 08-15-2011 at 01:08 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:15 AM

There was this insulation tape people used to cover their SRI tube...
Old 08-15-2011, 10:42 AM

My intake tubing is already wrapped up with DEI cool tape. This thing works great and keeps the heat off the aluminum tube.

I tried to fit a bucket around the filter yesterday and fasten it to the plastic shield at the bottom of the engine, but that didn’t work. The bucket was too short. I’ll have to find something that fits better.

I'll be out of the country for the next week and a half so I won't have time to work on this project. It’ll give me plenty of time to think about a solution for this thing…

Old 08-15-2011, 10:44 AM
Banned

unhook it from that bolt and twist it so it sits far away from the rad and under the battery. I drove like this for years with no ill effect.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:06 AM

^^ I did twist it a little bit already (I bent the bracket so it doesn't sit right behind the fan).

So you just let it hang from the throttle body with no support?
Old 08-15-2011, 11:24 AM
Banned

Yup was fine for 3+ years in my 4th gen not a single problem. When you twist it all the way it sits pretty far away from the rad, like almost a foot away. Throw on a heatshield and I bet you get better temps then a wai. If you are worried about supporting it, twist it and then ziptie it under the battery where no one can see it.

The only complaint I even had about the injen was the filter got dirty quick, I would clean it once a year but I should probably do that anyway with a K&N and it's cheap to do. Other than that it was louder then every other intake i'v ever heard on a 4th gen.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:15 PM

My intake tubing is already wrapped up with DEI cool tape. This thing works great and keeps the heat off the aluminum tube.

I tried to fit a bucket around the filter yesterday and fasten it to the plastic shield at the bottom of the engine, but that didn’t work. The bucket was too short. I’ll have to find something that fits better.

I'll be out of the country for the next week and a half so I won't have time to work on this project. It’ll give me plenty of time to think about a solution for this thing…

Can you please give info on the cool tape?
Old 08-15-2011, 12:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mandyfig
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dei+cool+tape
Old 08-15-2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by mandyfig
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...cool-tape.html

Quick Reply: Injen COLD air intake - modification