5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Method for debadging 02/03 trunk burger?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 03:05 PM

Method for debadging 02/03 trunk burger?

I debadged my trunk this weekend. Removing the Maxima emblem was easy and straightforward. However, the burger at the top, I just can't figure out.

I've read up and I know there's two clips that hold it in to the trunk. What I'm not sure of is if there's any adhesive. It seems to be stuck on there pretty good. Has anyone taken this off, and if you have, how did you get it off? I'm sure it's not too hard, I just don't know how to do it.

And before anyone brings it up, yes, I'm aware it's going to leave two holes in my trunk. I'm removing it because I have a JDM Nissan badge that's going to go in that spot once it's off.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:27 PM

Pics of the badge?

I want to get rid of that burger so bad, I'm temped to try this also, can you post some pics as you're goin at it for those of us interested?

I have seen quite a few of the Honduh boys that have plugs to go in place of the tab holes, wonder if we can pull that off.....
Old 07-25-2011, 08:55 PM

This is a horrible picture but this is the badge I'm talking about:

Someone posted up a thread a little while ago about how they shaved their trunk. Looked awesome, but no info on how they removed the badge.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:14 PM

Theres no clips that I can remember of although there will be two prongs that goes into the holes. They shouldn't be held by anything. Just use fishing line or floss along with a heat gun and go around the two prongs as much as possible before prying it out.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Waxima
This is a horrible picture but this is the badge I'm talking about:
I think he meant a picture of the JDM replacement...
Old 07-25-2011, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by zzmmrx0xmzz
Theres no clips that I can remember of although there will be two prongs that goes into the holes. They shouldn't be held by anything. Just use fishing line or floss along with a heat gun and go around the two prongs as much as possible before prying it out.
Thanks for the info. I didn't think to try a hair dryer, I probably should have tried that. I'll give it a try tomorrow and see how it goes. It's better than just trying to yank it out with my bare hands like I was trying to do the other day.

Originally Posted by nismopc
I think he meant a picture of the JDM replacement...
Durrr, I'm an idiot.

Here it is.

Here's a picture of it installed on s1mply_v's car. He has the same one.

Last edited by Waxima; 07-25-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:48 PM

Cefiro badge...Nice
Old 07-25-2011, 10:01 PM

not gonna lie, that is pretty hot. i'm interested in one now lol
Old 07-25-2011, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Murdadremedy
Cefiro badge...Nice
Originally Posted by OnOiShNo0dl3Z
not gonna lie, that is pretty hot. i'm interested in one now lol
Thanks. It's hard as hell to find one for sale anywhere. I looked for three weeks and got extremely lucky when I found someone selling one here right under my nose on the org.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:18 PM

yea I just started digging around for it and I don't see it anywhere lol. Never seen that before, it's nice
Old 07-26-2011, 09:47 AM

definately 2 holes, and glad you puttin something there, because of the contour in the license plate frame would look really odd with nothing there but the contour left behind
Old 07-26-2011, 09:58 AM

Here's a picture of it installed on s1mply_v's car. He has the same one.

OMG, It looks sexy! What is the price of that badge and where I can find it!?
Old 07-26-2011, 10:09 AM

There's both adhesive but and they aren't really clips but the two prongs that go into the two holes on The trunk .. I used fishing line to get through the afhesive and it came off right after I got it all off

I had the holes filled and the trunk painted but it only took 5 minutes ti get the badge off
Old 07-26-2011, 10:53 AM
Banned

nice rear end.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Nismod00d
nice rear end.
Thanks
Old 07-26-2011, 11:24 AM

Why do you want to make your max look like a Chrysler?
Old 07-26-2011, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by trooplewis
Why do you want to make your max look like a Chrysler?
w=150&h=112[/IMG]
I've heard that from several people and I can understand the criticism with how it looks similar to a Chrysler badge. I'm pretty conservative with what I do to the exterior. When I saw that badge on s1mply_v's car, though, I fell in love and I had to have it.

It's a real love it or hate it kind of thing with this badge.

Originally Posted by Flanker84
OMG, It looks sexy! What is the price of that badge and where I can find it!?
Thanks. I got mine for 20 bucks on here a few weeks ago from a guy in the 4th gen classifieds. They're really, really hard to find. I had to look for a long time. eBay is your best bet if you're trying to find one. Check every so often and see if one pops up there.

The badge is on there. I got the old one off with fishing line, thanks for the advice on that guys. You have to attack it from the sides and bottom and work up towards the top to get all the adhesive off. Then it just pops right out.

I used adhesive remover to get all the leftover gunk off and washed the whole car. Then I used 3M double-sided adhesive tape on the back of the badge and stuck it on there using a liquid level to make sure it was straight and centered.

And in case anyone was wondering, I HATE my G35 spoiler. It's going bye-bye in favor of a stock spoiler very soon.

Last edited by Waxima; 07-26-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:29 PM

I've heard that from several people and I can understand the criticism with how it looks similar to a Chrysler badge. I'm pretty conservative with what I do to the exterior. When I saw that badge on s1mply_v's car, though, I fell in love and I had to have it.

It's a real love it or hate it kind of thing with this badge.

Thanks. I got mine for 20 bucks on here a few weeks ago from a guy in the 4th gen classifieds. They're really, really hard to find. I had to look for a long time. eBay is your best bet if you're trying to find one. Check every so often and see if one pops up there.

The badge is on there. I got the old one off with fishing line, thanks for the advice on that guys. You have to attack it from the sides and bottom and work up towards the top to get all the adhesive off. Then it just pops right out.

I used adhesive remover to get all the leftover gunk off and washed the whole car. Then I used 3M double-sided adhesive tape on the back of the badge and stuck it on there using a liquid level to make sure it was straight and centered.

And in case anyone was wondering, I HATE my G35 spoiler. It's going bye-bye in favor of a stock spoiler very soon.

Looks good!
Does the Pennsylvania License plate seriously have a web address on it?
Old 07-26-2011, 04:07 PM

How do u "fill the holes" ?? I removed my trunk and have hideous holes
Old 07-26-2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by amixamse

Uh, maybe put the trunk back on?

Old 07-26-2011, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by amixamse
Bondo then have the lid painted that's what I did
Old 07-26-2011, 07:37 PM

I like it man, very unique. Can't wait until you get astock spoiler though, mang that thing is ugly

Very cool, I'd be tempted to paint the NISSAN part to make it stand out more.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by infinimax96
Looks good!
Does the Pennsylvania License plate seriously have a web address on it?
Thanks, and yes they do. Shameless ploy to draw tourists, I know.

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
I like it man, very unique. Can't wait until you get astock spoiler though, mang that thing is ugly

Very cool, I'd be tempted to paint the NISSAN part to make it stand out more.
I know, it was the first thing I did to the car when I got it and I think the worst thing so far. Rookie mistake. My next thread is going to be about how to do the wiring when swapping the trunk lid.

It's actually hard to tell from the pictures, but the emblem has a 3D sort of way about it. The burger in the center is set back in and there's a sort of clear resin coating over it that covers it and sits flush with the rest of the emblem. Almost looks like glass.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:59 PM

Thanks, and yes they do. Shameless ploy to draw tourists, I know.

I know, it was the first thing I did to the car when I got it and I think the worst thing so far. Rookie mistake. My next thread is going to be about how to do the wiring when swapping the trunk lid.

It's actually hard to tell from the pictures, but the emblem has a 3D sort of way about it. The burger in the center is set back in and there's a sort of clear resin coating over it that covers it and sits flush with the rest of the emblem. Almost looks like glass.
Can we get a side shot? The stock burger is larger at the bottom so it actually sits Vertically in the curve of the trunk lid. If this one is flat, then from the side it would be slanted, no?
Old 07-26-2011, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Can we get a side shot? The stock burger is larger at the bottom so it actually sits Vertically in the curve of the trunk lid. If this one is flat, then from the side it would be slanted, no?
Only a little bit. The stock burger exaggerates the curve of the trunk lid in that area quite a bit, it's a lot less than you would think.

I doubled up the tape in the middle where it meets the curved part when I put the emblem on to be safe, but it really isn't slanted much at all. It would have stuck on just fine with only one layer on there I think.

I can grab a side shot tomorrow during the day and post it up so you can see what I'm talking about. From the side, it looks like it angles downward very slightly. You'll see what I mean from the picture when I put it up.