5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Bc coilovers--A journey

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 12:59 PM

Bc coilovers--A journey

What up fellow max'ers. I just ordered a set of BC racing coilovers for my Y2k Gxe maxima. The reason for this thread being the following reasons: To give those interested in BC coilovers a little more info on installation, ride drop, handling, ride quality, damping, etc. Because in trying to learn more about the BC coilovers during my quest to decide which coilovers to purchase, I was scurrying around from topic to topic trying to gather bits and pieces along the way about BC coilovers. I even had to call the sales rep to try and get an exact specification for the amount of drop that the BC coilovers can supply to my maxima. And in fact there is no such number. So I plan to provide plenty of pictures and in depth reviews with comparison to my previous stock supension in reference to the categories I mentioned previously. With hope that you will gain a better grasp of if the BC coilovers are right for you. Also when I spoke to the Rep for BC coilovers on the phone I asked about the issue with the camber plates being swapped upon leaving the factory and he replied that this problem had been addressed and the camber plates would now be correct as is when taken straight out of the box.

In the meantime before the Coilovers arrive I will be developing an unbias way to show the difference in handling and stiffness of the coilovers vs. stock via a recorded video and some real time driving with the coilovers. I have owned my maxima for just about a year now and I picked it up from a family friend with 120,000 miles for $1500. 5 speed, GXE. What a steal right!? My point being everything supension wise has been bone stock up until this point so I can accurately give a good comparison to STOCK maxima supension. I have not driven nor road in any or maximas with upgraded supension. So in that aspect I have nothing to compare it to. I hope by the end of this thread that it helps those interested in purchasing coilovers in general.
-Ed
Old 07-23-2011, 02:17 PM

Sounds good to me.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:29 PM

Sounds good keep us posted. I also plan on buying these for my 02 SE in the near future.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:43 PM

sounds like this could be a future sticky thread.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:25 AM

Looking forward to seeing those vids. Maxima vids on Youtube are mostly drag racing. I've found a few autocross vids but that's about it.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:03 AM

The reviews of my the BC coilovers will take three different forms; pictures, meaning of installation, drop height, etc. Videos, being of the new suspension vs. old. And finally written reviews of my PERSONAL opinion and other things. Im going to share with you now, what I hope is an unbias way to show in real time the difference in handling between stock and the coilovers. And when I say real time I mean like displaying the difference in a video where one can see it. I live in Chapel Hill, NC.... but not really... I live like 5/7 minutes out of town, right off of a road that is very curvey and hilly and perfect for driving. I have driven this road about twice a day everyday that I have had my license.... which has been almost 2 1/2 years . Don't troll me plz. My point being that I have driven this road thousands of times and know exactly how my car reacts on each of the turns and how hard I can push my car and etc. My plan is as follows: to have my buddy in his ///M follow me about three lengths behind with a camera (Which I promise in advance will not be a P.O.S, and neither will the camera-person), both of us will accelerate to a certain speed ie: 55 or 60, and proceed to set cruise control and drive the entire road. The idea being that the filming car is close enough to see how much my car is bouncing and or sliding on these turns in the road. And later after the installation of the BC racing coilovers we can yet again film the same road at the same constant speed throughout and see if the car bumps and slides any less. I will probably end up doing 4 videos; 1 on the stock supension, and three on the BC coilovers. The first being on the softest damping setting, the second being on the middle damping setting, and the third on the stiffest damping setting.

Any thoughts on this method? I am still looking for the most clear cut way to show the difference via film. I am open to new ideas, but this is the best I have come up with thus far.

I will also post written reviews of my drive down this road in comparison to stock, and the reason that they will not be bias is that, I have driven this road so many times that it doesnt even factor into the equation of my perception of the new suspension. I will be able to drive my car and see if the handling has improved by pushing it along the road once again. The written reviews will be extensive in depth, and I will try to be as unbias as possible and be completely up front with my findings as well as personal opinions.

Any comments are welcomed as long as they are constructive.
-Ed

As for the specific speed that I will keep constant in the four videos, I will determine that later. However you can be assured that it will be fast enough where it is pushing my maxima near the edge but not absurdly dangerous. But definitley not so slow as to where we cannot get truely good perception of the new suspension. This speed value will be discussed by my friend and I who both work on our cars and have driven this road routinely since we had our licenses.

Here of some pictures of the road I will be preforming the tests on.... Did I mention two people have died while driving on this road?

Ok so, the arrows match up accordingly to color. The black arrow in the first picture indicates where the first and second picture connect and the black arrow in the second picture is where the first picture ends. The 2nd picture and 3rd picture are not related and there is about a mile in between them. However the 3rd and 4th picture are linked by the Red arrows. It's pretty self-explanitory. The yellow arrows are where people have died, I just thought it was interesting. The first yellow arrow is pointing to a telephone pole. And the second to the gaurd rails on the bridge however there did not used to be gaurd rails there.... Also interesting my brother took a joy ride and totaled my 1995 accord right where the second yellow arrow was.. if not for the gaurd rails.... then you can imagine the rest. .
Let me know your thoughts on this road as the testing road. Thanks!

At Phatboislim... yes I have secret aspirations for this to be a sticky!
-Ed

Last edited by NmexMAX; 07-25-2011 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:44 PM

I used to live in NC in Stanly and Montgomery counties, so I know all about those hilly narrow twisty roads. The are alot of fun, but you definitely have to be careful.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

also post up the drop amount. this is going to be interesting because ive been noticing if you dont keep up with cv axle maintenance, performance is greatly effected. hope for the best! dont get carried away either
Old 07-24-2011, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by nishfish871
also post up the drop amount. this is going to be interesting because ive been noticing if you dont keep up with cv axle maintenance, performance is greatly effected. hope for the best! dont get carried away either
I've heard of bad vibration problems along with premature c.v. axle wear and failure happening when going too low. A friend of mine with a Jetta VR6 had his slammed, and he blew out 4 axles before one ripped out of the transaxle housing, taking out the expensive 6 speed transaxle with it. Be safe, not sorry!
Old 07-24-2011, 05:24 PM

Yea I have been hearing bits and pieces about people's axles "going" after they get coilovers and slam the car too much. It will be interesting to see. But with the money I saved from buying the BC's vs. the teins, leaves me with some rainy day money.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:15 PM

ive got that vibration right now...waiting for some funds to be able to change the axles.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:30 AM

i have the vibration..but no busted axles....DSS axles ftw?! lol i mean, even though my axles vibrate and i'm slammed the way i am (not performance oriented lowering) it still handles like a monster...i love taking curves in mine..i wish i could take those curves that were posted, looks too fun
Old 07-25-2011, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by elytle16
Here of some pictures of the road I will be preforming the tests on.... Did I mention two people have died while driving on this road?

Also interesting my brother took a joy ride and totaled my 1995 accord right where the second yellow arrow was.. if not for the gaurd rails.... then you can imagine the rest. .
Let me know your thoughts on this road as the testing road. Thanks!
I think your need for attention is dumb. Johnny Knoxsville kind of dumb.

And I think images that are 1600 pixels wide make threads unusable.

But coilovers are a great mod. Have fun killing yourself.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:01 AM

Old 07-25-2011, 06:17 AM
dot dot dot ...

Why not find a local auto-x event and test it that way?
Old 07-25-2011, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
Looking forward to seeing those vids. Maxima vids on Youtube are mostly drag racing. I've found a few autocross vids but that's about it.
And you should be subscribed to my channel for this reason....
Old 07-25-2011, 10:05 AM

your support, feedback, impressions, and information you provide on the org is exteremly welcomed and helps anyone with an ear.

Im not sure in this thread this is the best way to go about it though. especially the video idea being a public "open" road,

if your going to film it just do auto-x , it just sounds too sketchy any other way
Old 07-25-2011, 10:49 AM

Let me explain my self a little. One i'm not doing this for "attention" purely to get the word out on the coils. I didnt like having to spend a week on gathering a sub-par amount of information on a $999.00 purchase, this scarcity made me second guess myself on spending that amount of money. Two im just stating the facts, I said I was going to be unbias right? Well what I posted already has been relevant. Haha, look at my post count and join date, I dont give a f*ck about if people think im a "noob" or "random" obviously I dont inflate my post count... Im just going about this the way I think it is correct. And constructive criticism is welcomed by all means. And I apologize for the pictures, they were smaller when I first painted them... idk what happened. As for people who are suggesting auto-x, I dont know of any events, and it would be difficult to go to two events once before and once after. As for my road, if people think it's too dangerous well, just know that I wouldnt be doing an unsafe speed for any area in the road. The first set of turns I could do ~60-65 through and everyone could see my suspension flop and bounce like crazy. And the second I could do around 40-45 and you would see my suspension perform just fine.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:06 PM

Hmm... found this post:

Im super embarrassed of my reverse, at school everyone looks over at my car like it's a P.O.S im like well f off, my maxima is sweet
Please don't track your $1500 Maxima down some dangerous back-road, with double-yellow dividers, blind turns, ditches, trees and a history of terrible accidents. Whatever you're trying to do, it's just not worth it.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Hmm... found this post:

Please don't track your $1500 Maxima down some dangerous back-road, with double-yellow dividers, blind turns, ditches, trees and a history of terrible accidents. Whatever you're trying to do, it's just not worth it.
Thought I was the only one to notice that

OP be safe, post back often, not even trying to be funny after SECONDTONONE.

Last edited by MAXXED_816; 07-25-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:34 PM
dot dot dot ...

Ironic isn't it?
Old 07-25-2011, 07:50 PM

Haha look what Rochester dug up out of the archives. Cute, that was the squealer tabs on my front brake pads. Anyways, Rochester I urge you to search my posts again, but this time for the word track anywhere in reference to my suspension testing. My friend, in my last post I told everyone it would be safe speeds!
As for my road, if people think it's too dangerous well, just know that I wouldnt be doing an unsafe speed for any area in the road.
Rochester, im confused at this sort of bashing. I dont understand what I did to you. Your first post was uncalled for, and the second one you went and dug through the archives to find that post for what reason? I dont see what your accomplishing? All I want to do is give a f**king fair comparison of the BC Racing Coilovers to stock. And I would have gladly accepted contructive criticism, but at this point ill just ask you to stop posting. <3
Old 07-25-2011, 08:12 PM

Make sure you have a spotter with a cell phone at the other end of this road. Someone to give you a heads-up for incoming traffic, or to call 911 when you understeer into the guardrails.

That's fairly constructive advice right there.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:20 PM

Thanks for the advice. Here's some advice for you, find something better with your free time than troll my thread. I hope that's constructive too!
Old 07-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Bad *** Newb

all kinds of lulz here

and that's not a bad road at all. Idk what everyone is crying about. I'd rip that up on a daily basis without giving it two thoughts as part of normal driving.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:43 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Haha look what Rochester dug up out of the archives. Cute, that was the squealer tabs on my front brake pads. Anyways, Rochester I urge you to search my posts again, but this time for the word track anywhere in reference to my suspension testing. My friend, in my last post I told everyone it would be safe speeds!

Rochester, im confused at this sort of bashing. I dont understand what I did to you. Your first post was uncalled for, and the second one you went and dug through the archives to find that post for what reason? I dont see what your accomplishing? All I want to do is give a f**king fair comparison of the BC Racing Coilovers to stock. And I would have gladly accepted contructive criticism, but at this point ill just ask you to stop posting. <3
Well, it is certainly apparent that you haven't frequented the forum too much. Rochester is... How would you say?... The spokesperson for old-man knowledge. This is a perspective that usually only comes with age, experience, and intelligence.

You've got a little bit of a complex if you feel he's personally attacking you. Rather, he is doing what he always does. He speaks of prudence and responsibility. Your 'testing' shows neither of these qualities. We all welcome informational data achieved through testing. However, it's not worth someone(including you) dying for by doing it on public roads. You need a track where you can limit your variables to much safer values. There are more than likely quite a few people on this forum that agree with his statements. Some just may have said it with more tact. I think Rochester assumes everyone has control over their sensitivities. Don't mind him.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:44 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
...I'd rip that up on a daily basis without giving it two thoughts as part of normal driving.
Most of us would assume this.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:42 AM

Old 07-26-2011, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by nelledge
Some just may have said it with more tact.
Thanks, cowboy.

I was a smart kid when I started driving. But like any guy who's into driving, I did things with my cars that were stupid beyond the pale. And I didn't have anyone older who could relate to that and give me advice. Wish I did.

I'm done. Good luck, OP. Don't kill anyone.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:18 AM

The intent of the thread was good, but I think discussion of testing on public roads is unwise.