5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Altering brake pedal for heel-and-toe

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 01:00 PM

Altering brake pedal for heel-and-toe

A month or so back there was a thread about heel-and-toe. After reading that thread and watching some videos I've started double-clutching. I enjoy it, it makes everything nice and smooth and makes driving more active. I can't get heel-and-toe though. Maybe my foot is too small or the pedal is just poorly positioned as some have said but unless I press the brake almost all the way down I can't get on the throttle at the same time. I was wondering if it would be possible to alter the brake pedal in some way to bring it down or closer to the throttle? Anyone done anything like this?
Old 07-18-2011, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by ffcbairn
A month or so back there was a thread about heel-and-toe. After reading that thread and watching some videos I've started double-clutching. I enjoy it, it makes everything nice and smooth and makes driving more active. I can't get heel-and-toe though. Maybe my foot is too small or the pedal is just poorly positioned as some have said but unless I press the brake almost all the way down I can't get on the throttle at the same time. I was wondering if it would be possible to alter the brake pedal in some way to bring it down or closer to the throttle? Anyone done anything like this?
Ah, not granny shifting anymore eh? Still got 10 grand underneath your hood?? Hows that motec exhaust treatin ya?

/troll.

inallseriousnessyouneedtobeonthebrakeshardtoattain therightheeltoeangleonthesecars...whichisdoneforar easonbecausewhyareyouhealandtoeingunderlightbrakin g?
Old 07-18-2011, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by aackshun
inallseriousnessyouneedtobeonthebrakeshardtoattain therightheeltoeangleonthesecars...whichisdoneforar easonbecausewhyareyouhealandtoeingunderlightbrakin g?
curiosityorbecauseifeellikeititmakesdrivingmoreint eresting.ididn'trealizeaprerequisiteofaskinghowtod osomethingwasthatithadexplainablereasons.whyisthes kyblue?
Old 07-18-2011, 01:43 PM

Reason cars are not built with this in mind is braking then turning while then shifting is the easiest way for the general public. That doesn't mean it's the best way overall. With that said the closer the throttle got to the brake the greater the risk is of an accident so it makes sense why it is set up the way it is out of the factory. I think it is reasonable to say that heel-and-toe is a more efficient way of downshifting around an easy turn but that it is not feasible on the Max because of the setup of the brake/throttle.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:50 PM

curiosityorbecauseifeellikeititmakesdrivingmoreint eresting.ididn'trealizeaprerequisiteofaskinghowtod osomethingwasthatithadexplainablereasons.whyisthes kyblue?
Reason cars are not built with this in mind is braking then turning while then shifting is the easiest way for the general public. That doesn't mean it's the best way overall. With that said the closer the throttle got to the brake the greater the risk is of an accident so it makes sense why it is set up the way it is out of the factory. I think it is reasonable to say that heel-and-toe is a more efficient way of downshifting around an easy turn but that it is not feasible on the Max because of the setup of the brake/throttle.
Like I said, it's quite easy if you're giving atleast 40% brake pedal depression, but if you're just doing your daily easy braking it's kinda hard....

Makes me wonder why do it in the first place if you're not braking hard
Old 07-18-2011, 01:52 PM

...but that it is not feasible on the Max because of the setup of the brake/throttle.
I heal-toe everyday, under light breaking and heavy breaking... size 11 foot.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My check engine light is on and I had it read at Auto Zone. It showed Open or short circuit condition, failed power transistor unit, failed ignition ballast resistor, cam position sensor failure. HELP, WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? I tried searches but could not understand what they meant.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Gizm0
I heal-toe everyday, under light breaking and heavy breaking... size 11 foot.
Nice!! I hurt myself if I'm not braking hard, I can do it all day while autox'ng, but just your average hum-drum driving? no, my friends miata I'm a bit better but not in the max, pedals are nowhere close, even w/ my boat anchor 15
Originally Posted by Cassandrab
My check engine light is on and I had it read at Auto Zone. It showed Open or short circuit condition, failed power transistor unit, failed ignition ballast resistor, cam position sensor failure. HELP, WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? I tried searches but could not understand what they meant.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:11 PM

To answer the OP's question, your easiest option is to get aftermarket pedals that have bigger surfaces than the stock ones, try ebay.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:36 AM

U can try the nismo 380rs pedal got one on my friends car and heel toe is a breeze for me.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:37 AM

Btw, it is a gas pedal, its curved at the bottom o itll bring the pedal much closer to the brakes
Old 08-16-2011, 05:09 AM
6spd Swapped

Or you can just adjust the brake pedal..