5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Starting Problem: How to determine which sensor

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 07:47 AM

Starting Problem: How to determine which sensor

I did some searching and found some information, now I could use some help narrowing it down.

Another member posted this video. My 2001 i30 does exactly the same thing:
http://youtu.be/lRv4zLtZR9M

In his comments, the user explains that it was his crankshaft position sensor. Many other threads that I read while using the search function pointed to either one of the two crank position sensors, or the camshaft position sensor.

I am getting no CEL's, although it just occurred to me that I haven't run the scantool to see if there are any "dormant" codes. Will do that today

How do I determine which one of the three to replace?

Last edited by Montego Murph; 07-16-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:50 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

There are only two crankshaft position sensors. From what I have seen in my research of the same issue on this board is the sensor on the oil filter side of the engine is likely the culprit.

I have that sensor, I just need to get the time to replace it and see how it affects my starting problem. Hopefully this weekend I'll get the chance to do so.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:08 PM

Thanks -- I'm thinking about taking mine out tonight and testing it with my multimeter -- I think I saw something in the Service Manual showing how to do that.

Any ideas what causes this sensor to fail? Proximity to oiler or something?

My starting issue is getting worse. Used to be only occasionally, now every start is two 5-second cranks and then stumbling up to idle.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:16 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by Montego Murph
Thanks -- I'm thinking about taking mine out tonight and testing it with my multimeter -- I think I saw something in the Service Manual showing how to do that.

Any ideas what causes this sensor to fail? Proximity to oiler or something?

My starting issue is getting worse. Used to be only occasionally, now every start is two 5-second cranks and then stumbling up to idle.
Not sure...my 2k has over 215,000 miles on it and I have a pretty steady oil drip leak in that area. I'm sure the oil leak over time has fouled the sensor a bit.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

I finally got around to changing the crankshaft position sensor on the left side of the engine (front side, depends on how you see it). It is the one closest to the oil filter. I'm kicking myself I didn't do this sooner because it only took about 20 minutes.

Look at the attached picture. You can see the oil/dirt buildup on the sensor which is probably the reason I was having start issues. As soon as I replaced it the Max fired right up.

I'll see how it goes over the next week or so, but I think considering the condition of the original sensor this was my problem. If I have further issues I'll report.

No news is good news...

Last edited by foodmanry; 06-29-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:30 PM

I wonder.. Do you think all it needed was a good cleaning? Just for kicks I'm going to pull mine as soon as I have time and give it a cleaning and see if that helps at all.

I don't expect it to, but for 30 minutes of entertainment and wrenching time, why not.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

I wonder.. Do you think all it needed was a good cleaning? Just for kicks I'm going to pull mine as soon as I have time and give it a cleaning and see if that helps at all.

I don't expect it to, but for 30 minutes of entertainment and wrenching time, why not.
Quite possibly...I had already bought the new sensor so I went ahead and changed it out.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by foodmanry
Quite possibly...I had already bought the new sensor so I went ahead and changed it out.
where did you buy it and how much?
Old 09-03-2011, 10:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I found the sensor near the tranny but, I cannot locate the sensor near the pulley. from the pics I seen online it should be right below the pulley. I have 2 threaded bolt holes under there but no sensor? Can anyone please post a pic or detailed expenation where the sensor is located? It is possible that I only have one sensor for some reason? Its an 02 6spd max btw. Thanks, Greg.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by BeSeenWithGreen
I found the sensor near the tranny but, I cannot locate the sensor near the pulley. from the pics I seen online it should be right below the pulley. I have 2 threaded bolt holes under there but no sensor? Can anyone please post a pic or detailed expenation where the sensor is located? It is possible that I only have one sensor for some reason? Its an 02 6spd max btw. Thanks, Greg.
Green,

If I understand things correctly, the 3.5 engine has two camshaft sensors and one crankshaft sensor, and the 3.0 engine has two crank sensors and one cam.

If you did have one there though, it would look a lot like this:

Old 09-03-2011, 11:41 AM

Green,

If I understand things correctly, the 3.5 engine has two camshaft sensors and one crankshaft sensor, and the 3.0 engine has two crank sensors and one cam.

If you did have one there though, it would look a lot like this:

Thank you...thats exactly where i was looking and only fouad the holes for 2 bolts. So you're saying that my car only came with one crank sensor? Meaning there isnt another place where the second sensor is located? Thanks again.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:39 PM

Thank you...thats exactly where i was looking and only fouad the holes for 2 bolts. So you're saying that my car only came with one crank sensor? Meaning there isnt another place where the second sensor is located? Thanks again.
I'm hoping someone better versed with the 3.5 will jump in, but I'm reasonably sure that I'm correct.

Two things come to mind though -- First, if a sensor was missing, you'd be having some sort of running issues or a check engine light. Second, did you happen to notice a wiring harness hanging there without anything to plug into? Also, near those two bolt holes you mentioned, did you see a hole going into the engine block, maybe about the size of a nickel where a sensor should reach through?
Old 09-04-2011, 07:35 AM

I'm hoping someone better versed with the 3.5 will jump in, but I'm reasonably sure that I'm correct.

Two things come to mind though -- First, if a sensor was missing, you'd be having some sort of running issues or a check engine light. Second, did you happen to notice a wiring harness hanging there without anything to plug into? Also, near those two bolt holes you mentioned, did you see a hole going into the engine block, maybe about the size of a nickel where a sensor should reach through?
That would be a no to all the above...guess I just have one sensor. That is a bit strange but unless someone has a reasonable explantion I'm just left guessing here. So I ran the codes and crank position sensor was tripped so I guess I'll just replace theonly one I have and see what happens. Thanks for the replies.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:09 AM

That would be a no to all the above...guess I just have one sensor. That is a bit strange but unless someone has a reasonable explantion I'm just left guessing here. So I ran the codes and crank position sensor was tripped so I guess I'll just replace theonly one I have and see what happens. Thanks for the replies.
You only have the one crankshaft sensor, CKPS (POS), sensing the teeth on the flywheel. The 3.0 engine has 2 sensors, CKPS (REF) & CKPS (POS). Nissan went to one sensor with the 3.5 engine.

The FSM has this info in it. Click the link and download one if you don't have one.

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan

The file named fwd.pdf is the "cover page" file, the starting point.
The file named idx.pdf is the alphabetical index file.

Last edited by DennisMik; 09-04-2011 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
You only have the one crankshaft sensor, CKPS (POS), sensing the teeth on the flywheel. The 3.0 engine has 2 sensors, CKPS (REF) & CKPS (POS). Nissan went to one sensor with the 3.5 engine.

The FSM has this info in it. Click the link and download one if you don't have one.

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan

The file named fwd.pdf is the "cover page" file, the starting point.
The file named idx.pdf is the alphabetical index file.
Excellent! Thank you for the info