5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Power window trouble

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 05:45 PM

Power window trouble

So my rear driver-side window will go down but not up. The main switch at the driver's seat will not move the window either way but that rear driver switch will make it go down and not up.
I removed the rear driver switch and used it on the rear passenger window and it goes up and down.
I used the rear passenger switch on the rear driver window and same problem, down but not up.
What is causing this problem?
I can hear a click coming from the motor area when I press the switch down but no sound when switched up.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:33 AM

Bump
Old 05-21-2011, 05:12 PM

You probably hve a problem with the window motor, or maybe the regulator.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:55 PM

Hmm... when you swapped the switches, did you put the one from the right-rear into the front-right door? How does it function now? You need to isolate the switch circuit from the regulator motor. Once you do that you can locate the "up and down" terminals on the Right-rear window, and supply 12V to them (ground on one and positive on the other). It should move which ever direction. Then reverse the polarity (reverse positive and ground) and it should move the other way.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:01 AM

Having the same problem with front passenger window goes down and after a while it will go back up, its like has power then nothing all the other windows are fine though......but haven't tried to fix the problem yet..so good luck...
Old 05-23-2011, 08:00 PM

Any updates? How are you getting the window to go back up so that you can continue testing? From what I've read, the driver side main switch can cause problems with all windows, not just the drivers window. You may want to pull it out and inspect it, see if you can see anything wrong with it, some find traces in the board that are fried. If you have access to another maxima, you could try swapping the switches, it only takes two minutes to get them out - its just one screw.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:03 PM

I happen to find few threads from sometime back and some mentioned simply cleaning glass windows and window side rails with armor all type of cleaning solution, and I happen to had both products at hand and I just did that, and it has improved my windows very well. Although I'll prob. do grounding kit at some point, this has def. made me happy.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

mhmmm maybe someone could help me? My windows go down ok but comen back up seems like a struggle it goes up very slowly and it makes a sound like its scratching the glass but its not.. any idea what it is? could it be the motor? or possibly just rust and gunk build up? my max has 216k on it lol
Old 06-01-2011, 12:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by zidave
So my rear driver-side window will go down but not up. The main switch at the driver's seat will not move the window either way but that rear driver switch will make it go down and not up.
I removed the rear driver switch and used it on the rear passenger window and it goes up and down.
I used the rear passenger switch on the rear driver window and same problem, down but not up.
What is causing this problem?
I can hear a click coming from the motor area when I press the switch down but no sound when switched up.
I don't know if this is the same or not,cause when u said u switch out the rear driver switch and used it on the rear passenger window and it goes up and down,so it's not the motor,if the motor do go out,it won't go up regardless any switch use,it still won't go up.I have a same problem with my 4th gen once,and after taken the switch apart and inspect it,there was corrosive at the contact behind the switch,I use some sand paper smooth the surface and put a little grease on the contact,it's been working fine since. Good luck.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:03 AM

Mines been dead over 3 years, goes down but not up, if i manually apply power it goes up fine. driver rear. I beleive there is a malfuntion in the master switch.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Professor
Mines been dead over 3 years, goes down but not up, if i manually apply power it goes up fine. driver rear. I beleive there is a malfuntion in the master switch.
Could be, did you try jumping power from the Master switch output terminal that goes to that window to the window switch imput? That would isolate an issue with the wiring inbetween the master and the rear switch. And then if it still doesn't work with the master, check it directly to the motor from the master switch terminals. If it still doesn't work, then yes, it's the master.

They can be fixed, someone of your abilities could likely do it, but it's more effective to just pick up a new one. I have one here actually PM me if you find the Master to be the issue Prof.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:47 AM

Have you tried taking the door panel off and cleaning around the regulator, seals etc?
Had a similiar issue and it was because we had tons of stuff in the door...

Good Luck!!