5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Can you gut 5.5 Gen Pre-cats while on the Car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 08:13 AM

Can you gut 5.5 Gen Pre-cats while on the Car?

I’ve had “bees in a can” for well over a year. It’s that gentle rattle that occurs when lightly accelerating from idle to under 2000 RPM’s. Now I know noises like that can be just about anything… pinging, heat-shield rattle, or just plain old exhaust rasp. Whatever the actual cause, I’m strongly suspecting one or more of the pre-cats has loose material banging around.

My mechanic is on-board, and has done countless cars for similar situations… although never a 2002-2003 Maxima. So he’s concerned about stripping the studs, and has recommended doing this thing with the pre-cats still on the car. Of course, we’re going to get the car up on the lift and assess things before whipping out the impact gun. But until then, it’s a reasonable question to ask the Org: can you gut the 5.5 Pre-cats while they’re still bolted to the exhaust manifold?

Last edited by Rochester; 05-19-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:31 AM

I'm curious to know this as well.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:33 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

You can gut the rear while still on the car, but the front pre-cat has an obstructive bend in it. If you strip the studs on the front, it takes no time at all to pull the manifold with it still attached and drill out the studs. (Ask me how I know.) I would be inclined to not gut the rear on the car because it's a very hard material and I'm super paranoid about kicking debris up into the manifold. I have seen numerous threads where people have used this method, though. Start using the PB now, Yankee. Your mechanic will thank you.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:36 AM

Rochester, Are you throwing any ses codes?
Old 05-19-2011, 08:46 AM

Rochester, i have experience with both. The front maybe. It is made of a ceramic type filter that basically breaks like glass. Like nelledge said it has a bend at the bottom which will make the job very hard to do as getting to it is tough. The front one is not hard at all to take out. Maybe a half hour total and that is getting all the stuff out of the way to get at the bolts. If your mechanic is doing it he should know all he has to do is PB or WD 40 them, let sit, and then use a torch to heat the bolts to make the rust break loose. Once out just get a big screwdriver or whatver is handy and break it out. Just watch out for all the dust and junk

No you can not gut the rear one while on the car. It is a metal honey comb with a metal cylinder around the outer edge. For the rear you can get at the top bolts with out removing the UIM. YOu just need a breaker bar as the bolts are super tough, meaning very tight. The rear cat like i said has the metal honeycomb and cylinder holding it all in place. YOu will need things like a drill, hacksaw, 5lb hammer, chisel ect as that **** is a pain in the b@lls to get out. It took me about 3-4 hours wrestling with it to finally remove (the honeycomb) and you can do it. Just takes time. I say take the cats off and do it, dont leave them on, you dont want to risk getting junk in the cylinders. I can get the rear off now in about 10 minutes flat. Had to remove mine like 3 times.

Edit:
forgot to mention. If you do gut them you will get codes. To fix this the lower o2 sensors in each cat need to be manipulated. Meaning go to auto zone or whoever and get yourself some spark plug anti foulers. I dont remember the length but there is limited space in the front between the o2 and the exhaust. Get an antifouler that still gives you room. U will need to drill thru the antifouler as the nose of the o2 wont fit unless you drill out the fouler. Do this for both front and rear and clear your codes and you should be good to go. The only time i get codes now is if the car sits for a few days and it has been raining. So over the 9 months ive had this done for maybe 2 times ive gotten codes so not often at all.

Last edited by jeff5347; 05-19-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:09 AM

Good advice, guys. Thank you. Repeated applications of PB Blaster before the process... yep, will do. Bend in the front pre-cat... Damn it.

From what I can tell here, gutting the precats (or installing headers) is a strong likelihood for throwing a code, although not a guarantee. But it's doesn't matter because I'm planning on introducing an O2 sim to head that off.

Originally Posted by maxima 21
Rochester, Are you throwing any ses codes?
Nope. Just bees-in-a-can turning my brain into mush.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:19 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by Rochester
Good advice, guys. Thank you. Repeated applications of PB Blaster before the process... yep, will do. Bend in the front pre-cat... Damn it.

From what I can tell here, gutting the precats (or installing headers) is a strong likelihood for throwing a code, although not a guarantee. But it's doesn't matter because I'm planning on introducing an O2 sim to head that off.
Thought about following NmexMAX's advice? Plug the bung and ziptie the O2 in the engine bay? Or Jeff5347's ^^^ suggestion many people have had success with: anti-foulers?

Nope. Just bees-in-a-can turning my brain into mush.
Hopefully, your mechanic finds it's just the rear heat shielding broken loose of a fastener and you can save yourself some labor time.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:53 AM

When I did my header install, it was much more difficult to pull the precat off the y-pipe (never actually could get it off with my hand tools) than to get the manifold off the engine. The studs were fine, and I probably have more rust on my car than you do.

Just my experience...
Old 05-19-2011, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by nelledge
Thought about following NmexMAX's advice? Plug the bung and ziptie the O2 in the engine bay? Or Jeff5347's ^^^ suggestion many people have had success with: anti-foulers?
NmexMAX has been lucky with his headers and no O2 sim. It's a technique worth considering, although a sim would solve things for sure.

Originally Posted by nelledge
Hopefully, your mechanic finds it's just the rear heat shielding broken loose of a fastener and you can save yourself some labor time.
Last time he looked, that wasn't the issue. But yeah, it would be nice not to bother with it beyond a simple heat-shield issue. In about 10 days, it's going up on the lift to scope it out before actually doing anything, so we'll certainly be looking for external loose parts.

It's very possible he'll see what you're saying about the front pre-cat design, and agree that the cats need to be removed in order to address their innards. We'll see.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:55 AM

i have that same sound, but i know my flex is pretty much shot..
Old 05-19-2011, 10:06 AM

the words bees in a can do not help me imagine the noise....
i had some nice rattles, and it was sheilds that needed 2$ clips, and like someone said pin my case im thinking more is invovled in the flex pipe.

simply put what does the 02 sim exactly do? trick the computer to think its ok?
Old 05-19-2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
the words bees in a can do not help me imagine the noise....
Really? Because that's the very phrase that led me down this path.

Yep. Here:

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...tallation.html
Old 05-19-2011, 10:21 AM

Trick the ECU that the rear two o2 sensors are "working".
Old 05-19-2011, 10:57 AM
dot dot dot ...

NmexMAX has been lucky with his headers and no O2 sim. It's a technique worth considering, although a sim would solve things for sure.
NmexMAX, 03BLKSETE, and 1 other that I cannot remember.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:00 AM

I gutted my front one just cause it was super done for and had to take the y pipe and the front pre cat for the job to be real quick, could of done the rear without taking it off but got smog coming up soon and in Cali it is a B1tch so better for me to buy one pre cat instead of two while the rear only has like 25k on it.....Good Luck though.....

Last edited by Rods03Max619; 05-19-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:07 AM

New York doesn't sniff, they just look for a functioning SES light when turning on the car, and then confirm it's off when the car is running.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Banned

Been thinking about this also i rip my flex section in my custom maxima headers and install stockers on tomorow til i get new headers. So in short what would need to be done just spilt the precats open gut and install
Old 05-19-2011, 01:26 PM

Im getting a P0430 for the front precat but no bees-in-can sound... Ugh I hate not knowing for sure the issue.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:08 PM

I just gutted both and got an ses,thats why i got my inspection a week before gutting them lol,but it was a total pita to do the rear...front was easy.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Banned

From what i heard bees-in-can sound comes from the flex section in the y-pipe ... don't quote me on that tho
Originally Posted by maxima 21
Im getting a P0430 for the front precat but no bees-in-can sound... Ugh I hate not knowing for sure the issue.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:30 PM

I started having "Bees in a Can" the other day and I'm pretty sure it's my flex section. It is completely loose around the entire front flange.

Going to try and see if I can get a local muffler shop to give it a shot an weld it.

Not sure they can weld the mesh, but it's worth a look.

I'd love a Cattman Y-pipe, but I don't have the $350 much less the $550 for the OEM.

Worse case I may have to go with the $150 Walker which will really suck.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:38 PM
Banned

Cut out flex section have them weld in a peace of pipe... .. til u can save up for header or catt-man y-pipe or even a warpspeed y-pipe 200 last time i seen
Originally Posted by fflint_18
I started having "Bees in a Can" the other day and I'm pretty sure it's my flex section. It is completely loose around the entire front flange.

Going to try and see if I can get a local muffler shop to give it a shot an weld it.

Not sure they can weld the mesh, but it's worth a look.

I'd love a Cattman Y-pipe, but I don't have the $350 much less the $550 for the OEM.

Worse case I may have to go with the $150 Walker which will really suck.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:40 PM

Rochester, do you get that bees in a can sound from a dead stop once you get to about 1500 - 2000. I still have that. I have no heat shields left either. Gets me thinking it is the flex pipe. Well sometime im gonna have a whole custom ex done so maybe i can replace the flex area for something different. The anti fouler thuing is real easy. Dont need ot cut or splice wires. just ge the AF's, drill them and instal
Old 05-19-2011, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by jeff5347
Rochester, do you get that bees in a can sound from a dead stop once you get to about 1500 - 2000.
Pretty much that's it, yes. I'm fairly sure it's not the flex section in my Cattman y-pipe... it's only 3 years old.

I'll be sure to bump this thread again when it gets resolved. Getting rid of these bees has become a priority. Funny how priorities get shifted about, but one way or another, this is getting addressed.

It's at the top of the list now.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by clashez1983
Cut out flex section have them weld in a peace of pipe... .. til u can save up for header or catt-man y-pipe or even a warpspeed y-pipe 200 last time i seen

I tried that before and everytime i would smack second gear it would crack the weld on the pipe,you need some kind of flex in there other wise when the engine torques its going to try to move the whole exhaust and eventually break something.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:16 PM

in for pics when completed
Old 05-20-2011, 11:11 AM

I’ve had “bees in a can” for well over a year. It’s that gentle rattle that occurs when lightly accelerating from idle to under 2000 RPM’s.
I've had that sound for well over 2 years now. Always annoys me, but just haven't taken the time to investigate. Gutting might be the option I'm taking as well now that the weahters warming up and easier to work on car.

I'll post results if I take this route. I also believe it to be only the front facing cat that is making the noise...
Old 05-20-2011, 01:23 PM

This was PM'd to me yesterday. Seems to be some good on-topic info, so I'm reposting it into this thread.

If you can get the car on a lift and hold it at the rpm where the noise is most noticeable, have your mechanic under the car checking where the noise is coming from and if its up over the tranny against the firewall its probably the rear bank pre cat. He will be able to tell.

If it is i would recommend gutting both because once you drop the y, the front one is pretty easy to get at after that, but the bolts that hold the rear bank pre cat are tough to get at. With the right extension you can get at them from behind the manifold.

All in all if your mechanic is good which im sure he is,from start to finish gutting and reinstalling should take like 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Make sure he heats every bolt with a torch. The rear cat is a total ***** to get that stuff out. Put the cat in a bench vise and use an air chisel with an extremely long bit, maybe 12 inches long to punch all the way through.

The front cat has a screen and then you just smack the crap inside with a pry bar a few times and it falls right out. Your car will be a bit louder and you will absolutely notice a pretty significant power gain throughout the rev range especially on the top end.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:39 AM

Went to the Mechanic today. The problem was *not* the front pre-cat heat shields... because they're gone now. They were horribly rusted out and barely hanging on, but was not what was making the noise.

He used a listening tool from below and from above, for quite a while, as I goosed the throttle from 700 to 2000. (I'm riding up and down the lift like a little kid outside Walmart, LOL!) Pretty sure it's not coming from the timing chain area, or the tensionor, and definitely not the main cat. Unfortunately, he couldn't be sure it was either of the two pre-cats, even with the listening tool.

So next and easiest step... gut the rear pre-cat, which can be done while on the car. The front one (front of the car) is the one that has that 70 degree bend. As for the absent catalyst, I bought a still-in-the-box O2 Sim for a great deal from NmexMAX... lucky me.

This continues to be very frustrating.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:54 AM
dot dot dot ...

Did you buy the sim for added insurance (cheap insurance)? Are you going to try and see how it reacts after you punch it out and only use the sim if you do in fact get a SES light?
Old 05-31-2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Did you buy the sim for added insurance (cheap insurance)? Are you going to try and see how it reacts after you punch it out and only use the sim if you do in fact get a SES light?
The SIM was insurance in case it was just the heat-shield. I could have easily sold it here at cost. (Thanks for the good price, Manny.)

But since that's not the case, I'll be applying the SIM after gutting the rear pre-cat, regardless. If that doesn't address the noise... then the front pre-cat is next.

If that doesn't address the noise... my only other options are headers, or the Looney Bin. No, that's not true. If the pre-cats aren't the cause of the rattle, then I'm just going to leave it be until I sell the car next year.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:35 PM

If it does turn out to be the rear cat why not replace it rather than possibly allow noxious gases to flow?
Old 05-31-2011, 06:43 PM

just get headers
Old 06-01-2011, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by 95VQ30
just get headers
Tempting. I can't deny that. But I also can't justify the cost + install on a car I'm only owning until Summer 2012.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by spock
If it does turn out to be the rear cat why not replace it rather than possibly allow noxious gases to flow?
Primarily because it's useless after the first 20 minutes or so of driving. Even without it the main cat will be doing it's job converting the ugly stuff into water and CO2. Not to mention when it clogs up it does some nasty things to internal engine components like oil and compression rings.

And all of this is before we even consider the fact the engine will be able to do it's job a little better due to the reduced restriction.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:13 AM

But since that's not the case, I'll be applying the SIM after gutting the rear pre-cat, regardless. If that doesn't address the noise... then the front pre-cat is next.
Interesting. So you're not doing both at the same time?

Do you think that will create any issues with the rear bank breathing better than the front? Assuming that gutting the rear solves the problem and you leave the front alone.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Rhyno02
Interesting. So you're not doing both at the same time?

Do you think that will create any issues with the rear bank breathing better than the front? Assuming that gutting the rear solves the problem and you leave the front alone.
I'm taking baby steps because gutting the rear is easy to do while still on the car, up on a lift, with power tools. Maybe an hour of my mechanic's time, if that. I suppose we'll know immediately if the noise is coming from elsewhere, at which point options will be reconsidered.

As to issues with only the rear bank "breathing better"? I have no idea.

Believe me when I say my mechanic was frustrated in not being able to pin down where the noise was coming from. He doesn't like not being able to solve problems.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:46 AM

I'm taking baby steps because gutting the rear is easy to do while still on the car, up on a lift, with power tools. Maybe an hour of my mechanic's time, if that. I suppose we'll know immediately if the noise is coming from elsewhere, at which point options will be reconsidered.

As to issues with only the rear bank "breathing better"? I have no idea.

Believe me when I say my mechanic was frustrated in not being able to pin down where the noise was coming from. He doesn't like not being able to solve problems.
I have no idea either, thats why I asked.

Sounds like he's a good mechanic to have though.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:23 PM

Was talking to my mechanic yesterday, and thought I'd bump this related to that conversation. For back story, yes, I had my pre-cats gutted about a month and a half ago. No, it did not solve my mystery rattle. But now I've got a nice little rumble (on top of what was already there), and a little extra grunt in the high-end. So no regrets.

Anyway... the front had to get removed to be gutted, because of the bend in the pre-cat. Once removed, the substrate inside the housing knocked right out. (Old news, I know.)

The rear was indeed gutted while still mounted to the exhaust manifold. It was done this way because he didn't want to break the bolts mounting it to the manifold, and because the car was up on a lift, so he had good access and leverage. The technique was to use a 1" spade drill bit, about 12" long, to slowly drill a bunch of holes through the material. Once it was drilled through in numerous spots, it was weak enough to rip apart with a pry-bar. Easy? No, not at all. And it destroyed his drill bit, LOL. He said he'd do it this way again, if given the opportunity... but next time he might wear a hat. Very, very messy job.

So that's what I was told... thought I'd share while it was fresh.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-28-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:55 AM

how many hours of labor did it take him?
and how happy are you with it still that its a few months later ?
what are some of the other reasons to doing this besides your reason with the diagnosis of noise issues?

Last edited by Prophecy99; 09-29-2011 at 09:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Can you gut 5.5 Gen Pre-cats while on the Car?