5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Pics: KYB GR-2/Tein H-Tech and tinting installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 11:40 PM

Pics: KYB GR-2/Tein H-Tech and tinting installed

Finally got the last of my projects on the Max done today including a proper tint job (first one didn't go well), all new motor mounts (damn that electronic one is pricey) and installing GR-2/H-Techs. Before anyone says anything, I know coilovers are superior (had them on my Z) but I just couldn't justify the cost with everything else going on. Some day though...

Anyway, I have to say I'm very pleased with the upgrade. I desperately needed shocks since the Max had 120k with original suspension when I got it in March. The ride is firm but not jarring at all and it does quite well on our terrible California roads, something I was worried about having the stiffer SE model. As for the H-Techs, I chose those equally because of ride characteristics and the even drop they offer (big ups to housecor's website for helping me decide). I loathe having that rear end appear to be sagging with mismatched wheel wells. They don't quite appear as low as the pics on his site but they've only been on six hours so maybe they'll settle a bit.

Overall, I couldn't be happier given the cost. And yes, I did my homework and replaced the shock mounts/bearings with OEM and did all the dust boots/bellows

Before:

After:

Bonus, slightly overexposed shot

Thanks again to the .ORG for all the guidance
Old 05-10-2011, 11:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Looks good man. They will def settle more.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Maximized2000
Looks good man. They will def settle more.
Thanks and hope so! I just noticed in my back to back pics the rear looks the same height as stock...for now
Old 05-11-2011, 04:53 AM

wow really nice. The tint s sets it off. ALl u need to make it a head turner are some rims. took me 5yrs to finally get rims\. hahaah Love the color.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by jeff5347
wow really nice. The tint s sets it off. ALl u need to make it a head turner are some rims. took me 5yrs to finally get rims\. hahaah Love the color.
Yeah, that would really finish it off nicely but my Z32 needs a motor/turbo build first Thankfully stock wheels on the Max aren't terrible like some cars.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:30 AM

Wow that is some dark tint. Can you see at night?
Old 05-11-2011, 10:56 AM

I like the stance and I love that color!
Old 05-11-2011, 10:58 AM

Nice Maxima ..... Looks really sharp I love the color..
Old 05-11-2011, 07:56 PM

Looks great! Get spacers for the rears and you'll be good to go. I've been debating what suspension setup to do with my car, right now I'm thinking about H&R's with Koni Yellows.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by RLW001
Yeah it's SunTek 18% but looks darker in the photo than it is. No bones about it though, it's pretty dark. You can just barely make out the white fence through the double tinted windows.

I may live to regret it for a daily driver in Cali. Easy probably cause.

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
Looks great! Get spacers for the rears and you'll be good to go. I've been debating what suspension setup to do with my car, right now I'm thinking about H&R's with Koni Yellows.
I was just thinking about that today, how ridiculously tucked in the rear wheels are. Is there a typical size owners w/ stock wheels get? Not sure I want to run too big of one but it's tempting...

Last edited by SeedyROM; 05-11-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:34 AM

Just by eyeballing, seems like you could use a 25mm back there....if youre getting new wheels soon, then you shouldnt be too hasty.

FYI I have 25mm hubcentric eibachs for sale...
Old 05-12-2011, 04:15 AM

looks good enough as long as you are happy with it. i had a mild drop like that...but the stance scene called me up and said man the *** up and work on stance LOL. love it man, especially that 'merlot' color
Old 05-12-2011, 04:29 AM

The merlot color is great. SO whats next?
Old 05-12-2011, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by VQ'rInWLA
Just by eyeballing, seems like you could use a 25mm back there....if youre getting new wheels soon, then you shouldnt be too hasty.
Man that's pretty big...wonder what it would do to wheel bearing life. I'm sure it'd bring the wheel out perfectly though.

Originally Posted by Shift_Max
The merlot color is great. SO whats next?
Thanks Next are just some minor cosmetic things to get the car where I want it like blacking out the grille and throwing on some gauge cluster rings. Nothing too fancy.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:02 PM

you dont need spacers that bad. call me crazy (but w/ maximas slammed) i like how the factory 17s look
Old 05-12-2011, 12:06 PM

Yeah I dig the stock wheels compared to most stock wheels. Makes the decision to save a few bucks easier.

150 miles on it and the springs still haven't settled. Hoping they end up like the pics on housecor's site eventually.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:48 PM

The tint looks great... from the outside.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:10 PM

I know, it's a bit excessive.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:06 PM

Bit of a gangster tint and don't care about the drop, but that colour just forgives all.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:14 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by RLW001
Originally Posted by Rochester
The tint looks great... from the outside.
Originally Posted by spock
Bit of a gangster tint and don't care about the drop, but that colour just forgives all.
I notice everyone commenting about the darkness of the tint lives in the north. Try a few months of 90°+ days with bright, southern sun. You'll change your tune.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by nelledge
I notice everyone commenting about the darkness of the tint lives in the north. Try a few months of 90°+ days with bright, southern sun. You'll change your tune.
Exactly. I have a family member extremely sensitive to light/heat so I used that as an excuse. If I get a remove-ticket though I may go 30 percent though. We'll see.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:38 PM

In Florida you can get a medical exemption to legally have darker tint. Check your state laws to see if you can do the same thing.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:53 PM

your merlot paint slaps mine up , ride looking cleaner and cleaner every mod. Keep it up.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
In Florida you can get a medical exemption to legally have darker tint. Check your state laws to see if you can do the same thing.
If I recall you have to live with the person to qualify but it's not that bad in reality. Pic makes it look like limo tint (5%) but I kind of dig it...

Originally Posted by 03VQMAX
your merlot paint slaps mine up , ride looking cleaner and cleaner every mod. Keep it up.
To be fair it's a great 10-foot car in that from 10 feet away it looks nearly perfect. Trust me, I've got most of the dings/road chips/etc that 120k should...I just know how to light it so they don't jump out
Old 05-12-2011, 11:47 PM

really nice looking.
same drop I want to get.
Where are you located??
maybe one day we can meet, with both of our cars. i drive a black tt, and my 5.5 gen black maxima, i'm sure they would look great parked next to your merlot 5 gen and your CRP Z
Old 05-12-2011, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by dr_rabias
really nice looking.
same drop I want to get.
Where are you located??
maybe one day we can meet, with both of our cars. i drive a black tt, and my 5.5 gen black maxima, i'm sure they would look great parked next to your merlot 5 gen and your CRP Z
PM sent
Old 05-12-2011, 11:54 PM

Absolutely love that color, great looking maxima
Old 05-13-2011, 05:53 AM

Looking good with the drop......
Old 05-13-2011, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by SeedyROM
The ride is firm but not jarring at all and it does quite well on our terrible California roads, something I was worried about having the stiffer SE model.
Someone chime in if there's something I'm missing, but the only thing that differentiates the suspension on the SE vs. the GLE or GXE are the OEM Tokico Struts (which Seedy replaced) and the 23mm FSB.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by SeedyROM
Yeah I dig the stock wheels compared to most stock wheels. Makes the decision to save a few bucks easier.

150 miles on it and the springs still haven't settled. Hoping they end up like the pics on housecor's site eventually.

this is why i'm not a lover of springs anymore...whats a drop on someones car, may not be the drop on someone elses. i refuse to go back springs on my cars if im dropping them. but yea i believe thats all the drop you're going to get...my dropzone had a 2" drop (htechs are slightly less) and the settle wasnt much

my dropzone springs on G wheels:

on 19s:

Old 05-13-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Someone chime in if there's something I'm missing, but the only thing that differentiates the suspension on the SE vs. the GLE or GXE are the OEM Tokico Struts (which Seedy replaced) and the 23mm FSB.
Oh you could certainly be right. I just remember reading all the reviews when shopping for my Max about the SE model being a bit harsher of a ride but I never knew the exact differences. Entirely possible it wouldn't matter much since I replaced the shocks anyway

Originally Posted by phatboislim
this is why i'm not a lover of springs anymore...whats a drop on someones car, may not be the drop on someone elses. i refuse to go back springs on my cars if im dropping them. but yea i believe thats all the drop you're going to get...my dropzone had a 2" drop (htechs are slightly less) and the settle wasnt much
Very fair point as I've seen the same variance on other vehicles I've owned and sort of expected it. But the Max literally still looked stock in the back so that was weird. I'm happy to report that after driving nearly 200 miles yesterday they have settled a bit more. The front looks like the pic above (perfect) and the rears are maybe a 1/4" higher. I guess if I put in a sub box or something it'd be perfect.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:10 PM

[quote=SeedyROM;8043953]Finally got the last of my projects on the Max done today including a proper tint job (first one didn't go well), all new motor mounts (damn that electronic one is pricey) and installing GR-2/H-Techs. Before anyone says anything, I know coilovers are superior (had them on my Z) but I just couldn't justify the cost with everything else going on. Some day though...

After:

Looks really good. I'm getting the same exact setup. Where did you get the Strut Mount and did you replace all 4 or just he front ones. Did the OEM brake line clip fit perfectly on the new GR-2 or do you have to zip ties it, I hate zip ties stuff especially on major components. Anyway car looks very much OEM with very subtle change which I like it alot.

Thanks
Old 06-16-2011, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by MSU2000
Looks really good. I'm getting the same exact setup. Where did you get the Strut Mount and did you replace all 4 or just he front ones. Did the OEM brake line clip fit perfectly on the new GR-2 or do you have to zip ties it, I hate zip ties stuff especially on major components. Anyway car looks very much OEM with very subtle change which I like it alot.

Thanks
I replaced the front strut mounts only as the rears were solid and in great shape even at 120k, at least for me. I got them from a local Nissan dealer but Dave B. over at SouthPoint Nissan (512-444-4962) is a great source for cheap OEM parts if you don't mind them being shipped. He helps out Max.org guys all the time, great service.

As far as the clip, these do have them. Pic stolen from another post.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:29 PM

How much did you pay for the strut mounts shipped if you don't mind asking.
What is the part number.

Thanks

Last edited by Genes1s; 06-16-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by MSU2000
How much did you pay for the strut mounts shipped if you don't mind asking.
What is the part number.

Thanks
I didn't get mine from him, just locally through my shop who has an account at Nissan and they drove them over same day. I don't recall what they cost or the part number but I do know they were a bit cheaper from Dave B.

I think the numbers are in search here, can be found on http://importrp.com/ or the easiest might be calling any local Nissan dealer and having the parts department look it up based on your year/model. Then you can shop it around.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Clashez
Should have got s-techs...
S-Techs are quite aggressive and are reported to bottom out in poor road conditions by various users in search (and the Shiftice site). Since I live in California, the last thing I wanted is for my daily driver to be less comfortable than my sports car.

Also, since the pics were taken a while back the car has settled a bit to a perfectly even drop which I like as opposed to the lower front of the S-Techs. To each their own I guess.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:13 PM

I've always wanted a second look at a stock SE on H-techs.

I have H-techs with Illuminas. They're a perfect ride height for my 19x8.5 A34's.

Night and day difference in the stance, good choice
Old 06-16-2011, 05:56 PM

That ain't low.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:58 PM

Well it's not slammed but at least it's not 4X4 stock height
Old 06-16-2011, 09:02 PM

I think its perfect!

Quick Reply: Pics: KYB GR-2/Tein H-Tech and tinting installed