5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Power Steering Pressure Hose

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Power Steering Pressure Hose

Hello,

My power steering fluid has been leaking for a while and the fault is traced to a leaky pressure hose.

My mechanic has asked me to get the pressure hose with sensor...

Can you please let me know where to get a reasonably priced one?

cheers - Noela
Old 05-04-2011, 12:54 PM

You can have the hose rebuilt. It cost me $50/52 on my 2000
Old 05-04-2011, 12:57 PM

The sensor unscrews from the hose.

You have two choices as far as PS hoses go. The OEM replacement will suffer the same faults as your original. Generally they have a life of 80-100K miles. The aftermarket lasts longer but also has an issue where it will make your PS louder until the car warms up. I installed it and followed the directions to a T and cannot eliminate the whining noise I get from the PS right when I turn the car on. That said it stops pretty quickly and isn't too noticeable. Personally I would just rather not do the hose again especially considering I mangled the flange nut replacing it one time.

OEM Click here

Aftermarket go to RockAuto navigate to Nissan->Year->Maxima->Steering->Power Steering Pressure Hose and order the Edelman part

As far as the Gates I believe I read that it is identical to the Edelman though I am not positive.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:06 PM

How flammable is ps fluid? If it touches exhaust can it ignite?
Old 05-04-2011, 01:07 PM

Thanks for your responses ... I actually checked the RockAuto website earlier, and surprised at the price difference. So, I could just get the Edelman part for about $63 and get my mechanic to replace it using the sensors from the old hose, right?

thanks - Noela
Old 05-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Suspension Yoda

yes, sensors can be reused.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
yes, sensors can be reused.

All you need is that single part number hose everything else you reuse.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:39 PM

buy oem the noise will annoy you
Old 05-05-2011, 01:37 AM

Mr. Jamaica, thats the conclusion I am actually coming to. After reading all the comments on the noise from aftermarket hoses, I am leaning towards getting an OEM one from DaveB or a local dealer today.....

cheers, Noela
Old 05-05-2011, 07:10 AM
Suspension Yoda

^^ Good plan. DaveB is good people. I'm on the phone with him at least once a week to order parts for my customers
Old 05-05-2011, 11:29 AM

good move
Old 05-05-2011, 12:09 PM

I know the OEM PS hose has inline restrictors. Does the aftermarket PS hose not have them?
Old 05-06-2011, 04:42 PM

Thanks for all your support - I ordered an OEM hose from DaveB this afternoon.

Thanks - Noela
Old 05-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Go oem, cant beat nissan quality. Mine lasted 235000 before blowing out on an 2k3, the new hose was 110.00 from the dealer.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

the hose is def not 110 from the dealer.... if u did get it from that can u tell me what dealer?
Old 05-07-2011, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by sandmanz32
Go oem, cant beat nissan quality. Mine lasted 235000 before blowing out on an 2k3, the new hose was 110.00 from the dealer.
LOL @ referring to our OEM hose as quality when most people are lucky to get 100K out of them. Quite obviously the OEM PSH is a flawed design or they wouldn't break left and right like they do. Now if one is willing to deal with that rather than the noise generated by the aftermarket then that is one's own prerogative but make it a quality part it does not.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by NAVY00MAXIMA
I saw a shop here in Houston that does that and I forgot where their located......I just replaced mine with an OEM Nissan unit which lasted 124K (can't complain), refused to pay $115 for that POS (O'Rielly) Powermasters with an aluminum banjo, hydraulic manifold and bracket....I could built sometime like that in my garage....Aluminum strips to easy and I prefer a steel manifold and banjo.....Mine OEM failed just under the swage at the manilfod.....the Oem comes with everything: New pressure switch, upper support bracket bushings, mid support bracket, where as that powermaster brand was simply a hose no pressure switch, no bushings and no mid support bracket....I just wasn't willing to invest into that, so maybe it would've lasted longer than my original HP P/S hose assembly which made 8 yrs (124K) which isn't too back in my eyes.....The chances on how long it last has many factors....Motor mount condition, do you drag race your vehicle, do you condition your hoses.....

Last edited by CMax03; 05-08-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
I saw a shop here in Houston that does that and I forgot where their located......I just replaced mine with an OEM Nissan unit which lasted 124K (can't complain), refused to pay $115 for that POS (O'Rielly) Powermasters with an aluminum banjo, hydraulic manifold and bracket....I could built sometime like that in my garage....Aluminum strips to easy and I prefer a steel manifold and banjo.....Mine OEM failed just under the swage at the manilfod.....the Oem comes with everything: New pressure switch, upper support bracket bushings, mid support bracket, where as that powermaster brand was simply a hose no pressure switch, no bushings and no mid support bracket....I just wasn't willing to invest into that, so maybe it would've lasted longer than my original HP P/S hose assembly which made 8 yrs (124K) which isn't too back in my eyes.....The chances on how long it last has many factors....Motor mount condition, do you drag race your vehicle, do you condition your hoses.....
I abuse my 2000 Maxima on a daily basis. 166k miles is when my OEM POS hose went out. My PS hose now will outlast me. The quality of the OEM hose sucks and so do thier cheap thin hydraulically crimped ends.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:10 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

You know you're in a used car forum when people complain about an OEM part that lasts 166k miles.

Mathematically speaking, an OEM replacement hose would get you to 332k miles.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by nelledge
You know you're in a used car forum when people complain about an OEM part that lasts 166k miles.

Mathematically speaking, an OEM replacement hose would get you to 332k miles.
Yeah but mathematically speaking the VQ30 will go well beyond that meaning you would theoretically need to replace the hose 3x or more in the maximum life of the car. I wrecked a 4th gen at 327K and had only done clutch, alternator, starter, plus standard wear parts in its life. That to me indicates quality throughout, not just in the engine. If you look at the top of the forum there is another PSH thread that just popped up. Even if the average life of the hose was 166K (high estimate from what I have read, mine was busted at 95K when I bought the car) that is still below what it should be.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:45 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by ffcbairn
Yeah but mathematically speaking the VQ30 will go well beyond that meaning you would theoretically need to replace the hose 3x or more in the maximum life of the car. I wrecked a 4th gen at 327K and had only done clutch, alternator, starter, plus standard wear parts in its life. That to me indicates quality throughout, not just in the engine. If you look at the top of the forum there is another PSH thread that just popped up. Even if the average life of the hose was 166K (high estimate from what I have read, mine was busted at 95K when I bought the car) that is still below what it should be.
It's all relative. Statistically speaking, an extremely small amount of individuals own a car for longer than 100k miles. The fact that the car itself may last 300k or more is moot since the argument is for the expense of replacing the hose by an individual. Let me throw this question out there. How many members have personally had an aftermarket hose on their vehicle for over 100k miles? I bet that is slim pickings. People want to say the engineered-to-make-no-noises OEM hose is bad quality? I say the aftermarket hose that causes noise inside the cabin is bad quality. We each have our own opinions. You can save money on a cheap replacement. I'll pay the extra 6 pennies every 100 miles to install the OE engineered part with quiet operation and a new switch.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:09 PM

I abuse my 2000 Maxima on a daily basis. 166k miles is when my OEM POS hose went out. My PS hose now will outlast me. The quality of the OEM hose sucks and so do thier cheap thin hydraulically crimped ends.
Let's see that super dooper Oem replacement that you bought and believe will outlast the OEM POS!!!!! That super hose routing bend plays a major factor in the reliability of the 166K POS hose.....
Old 05-08-2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by nelledge
It's all relative. Statistically speaking, an extremely small amount of individuals own a car for longer than 100k miles. The fact that the car itself may last 300k or more is moot since the argument is for the expense of replacing the hose by an individual. Let me throw this question out there. How many members have personally had an aftermarket hose on their vehicle for over 100k miles? I bet that is slim pickings. People want to say the engineered-to-make-no-noises OEM hose is bad quality? I say the aftermarket hose that causes noise inside the cabin is bad quality. We each have our own opinions. You can save money on a cheap replacement. I'll pay the extra 6 pennies every 100 miles to install the OE engineered part with quiet operation and a new switch.
I'm with you.....If someone can show me a aftermarket with more than 125K please reveal it to your follow orgers.....I really want to see this......
Old 04-17-2012, 07:43 PM

Question?
Can anyone tell me why there are three wires (red, green, black) for the 02-03 power steering sensor and for the 00-01 there are only two (green, black)
Could these two years be interchangeable if you were to splice in the wires?
Old 10-24-2013, 10:02 PM

Anyone have a part number?

I've got a 2002 Nissan Maxima and the power steering pressure hose has a pinhole in it.

I rigged it up with a 5 inch length of thick clear plastic tubing and 5 ring clamps - that has held up beautifully for about 6 months and I've only had to tighten the clamps once.

If I had gone to a mechanic at the time, I probably would have been told what I was told yesterday - apparently that's very dangerous because steering fluid spraying on the exhaust manifold is the most common cause of car fires... or so he said.

Anyway, I have to replace it now because I have to get it registered and it won't pass inspection until I get it changed.

I've looked up a lot on this issue and I can't tell which part number is correct if I buy the Edelmann hose.

I have seen part number EDE 92037 and part number EDE 80453.

According to the part searches, 92... is the right part number for the 2002 Maxima while the 80... is the part for the 2004 and beyond. But it looks way too short and straight and is covered in some sort of metal.

80... looks more like the right length and shape for the hose that is in my car.

Can anyone confirm for me which part number is correct? And, if possible, if it IS the 92... number, can anyone explain why it looks way too short and straight?

Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:50 AM
Suspension Yoda

Get OEM...
Old 10-25-2013, 07:32 AM

Get OEM...

The edlemann's are known to groan and moan when used.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:33 PM

What part number is the OEM? How can I find it?

Thanks, I didn't see these replies earlier. But could one of you tell me which part number I need for the OEM? And where to find the right one?

I also need rear brake pads. I have found ones as low as $10 (seems like some sort of clearance price because they are marked down from 50-60) and some as expensive as $60. Does anyone have a recommendation for which ones to get or what to look for?

The car is not souped up or higher performance than normal and I do not drive it hard so I just need brakes for normal, everyday driving.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:41 PM

Can you tell me how and where I can get this hose rebuilt?

I'd like to look into that option.

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:35 AM

Any local hydraulic shop can do it and yes there are ones local wherever you are.
50 sounds expensive usually around 35.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just replaced the high pressure hose my self on my 2000 Maxima with 157k miles on it. "TWICE" within two weeks. Do yourself a favor and don't use the Edelman cheap replacement hose. It's terrible. The whining noise from that hose was soo annoying, that after a week, I went and bought the OEM hose and took off the Edelman. I think their are other aftermarket hoses other then Edelman but they all look like the same cheap foreign stamped out garbage. I highly recommend to just spend the money on the OEM hose. No noise now what so ever. Not gonna lie though, the job is a little bit of a pain in the ***, but can be done with basic knowledge and basic hand tools. Getting the banjo bolt back in takes some patience, and full disclosure, I didn't attach the back bracket at the back of the motor. I just zip tied it back towards the firewall. Will be fine like that. Also, the flare nut at the top, did not untighten, or tighten very smoothly. Almost felt cross threaded, but it wasn't. Doesn't leak at all, and is perfectly quiet. Would also like to thank this site for giving me the info so I was able to do this job myself.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:51 PM

If you say so..
I've talked to some people on this forum saying they didn't hear anything different
with a gates.

Plus my OEM hose that is slowly leaking makes a groaning noise so I don't know what to make of it.
I only notice is in the morning when everything is dead quiet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2001-Ni...8614e3&vxp=mtr

cheapest one i've seen on ebay. How much did you pay for yours?
Old 07-27-2014, 05:21 AM

thats probably your power steering pump that is groaning because you dont have the right amount of fluid.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:54 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Bumping an old thread, ouchhh, the PS hose if is not OEM will make a noise, but think about it, our cars are over 14-15 years old. Another noise to the mix is not going to be that bad. I have the noise on top of others, I just crank the radio and I'm golden.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:50 PM

Can some one tell me how can I get in contact with DaveB? I need to order pressure hose ASAP.

Thanks
Old 07-30-2014, 12:53 PM
Suspension Yoda

DaveB no longer works for Nissan. You will be able to find the hose for fair pricing at:

www.nissanpartsasap.com
www.courtesyparts.com
Old 07-30-2014, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
DaveB no longer works for Nissan. You will be able to find the hose for fair pricing at:

www.nissanpartsasap.com
www.courtesyparts.com
Thank you
Old 08-10-2014, 02:20 AM

I have a 2000 GLE with 62400 miles on it with a leaky power steering hose. It started leaking about two years ago, with over 58000 on it.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:47 AM

I am reading that power steering hose isn't supposed to last 200,000mi but I have
had bmws from the 80's and 90's that have perfect hoses. There is a flaw in the oem line,
it is not a well made part but if everything else makes a bad noise then it's worth changing at around 200,000.. I guess.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'd like to go ahead answer the question is ps fluid flammable? Yes it is. If you are debating on to just keep putting power steering fluid in your maxima and not fixing this, here is a great reason to get it fixed. This happened to my girl friends car, the culprit was power steering leak that we had neglected to fix for about 6 months... It didn't leak bad in the winter time, just the summer time. It would always smoke but had never caught fire. She drove it a very short distance, came back home parked it, this is the aftermath.
Name:  c9k2mCd.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  865.8 KB

Name:  k2LtXgn.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  680.7 KB

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pressure Hose