5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Help! Help! Help! I am stuck.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 10:02 PM

Help! Help! Help! I am stuck.....

Hello everyone
To the point: Today on my trip from Columbus to Chicago my 2000 Maxima ran like a champ... 350+ miles on a easy 65-70 mph cruise.
After my stop at a gas station outside of Chicago to fill up gas (Shell Premium) I got back in the car and continued my trip to the airport, just as I was getting ready to take the exit my SES light came on. I figures its probably it my P0138 Bad/slow response upstream o2 sensor. As soon as I put the car in neutral my rpms started jumping up and down between 1400 & 1700 rpms???
I came to a parking lot and used my ScanGauge to check the SES it was the P0505 WTF????

Here what I have done to the car so far:
6 Brand new ignition coils from DaveB
6 Brand new spark plugs NGK
The TB Looked like it was never cleaned before 170K So I decided to take it of and give it a nice clean ....
So I cleaned the TB and IACV

The car ran like a champ for the past 500-600 miles now what do I do??? I am stuck in Chicago.... I tried to do the relearn idle... nothing.....
Should I just get a new IAVC from the dealer? $316+tax or may be aftermarket?

Can I drive it like that back to Ohio?
Seems like it is just fine on the highway at high speed????

Someone please help.....
2000 Maxima SE Manual
Old 05-02-2011, 10:45 PM

Wow that really sucks man,hope all works out ok for you..... that part would be cheaper at autozone for sure. From what I read some people fried their ecm from that so maybe better just change part then do relearn and see...instead of doing damage maybe to ecm. Good luck http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...highlight=iacv check post 103

Last edited by BronxSleeperMax187; 05-02-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:48 AM

Did the problem started 500 miles after cleaning IACV? Most of the frying IACV on Maxima in this forum seems to be for Gen 5.5.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:28 AM

I'd try it at speed and see how it runs. If it doesn't buck or otherwise sound or feel different, get it back home. A P0505 isn't anything too horrible that should strand you imho.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:21 PM

You can also get an oem iacv from importrp.com for a good price... Not for 300 for sure!
Old 05-03-2011, 01:53 PM

Since the its the IAC, you should be fine on the highway. If there is any ecu damage, it's been done and won't get any worse.

If it was me, I'd drive the car home.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:47 PM

not helping, but props for driving 5+ hours and still able to manage to do most of the whole nine yards.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:34 PM

Thanks for all the help people, I gave up and purchased the valve the next morning from the AutoBarn Nissan??? Somewhere in Chicago, my cousin came to help me out at the Parking lot on that Target, we woke up early morning drove to the dealer picked up the part, came back to the car installed it for about 20 and I was back on my way.
After the installation the car ran much smother than ever before, no idle problems, no check engine light, no funny shakes or rattles....
Made it back home last night perfectly safe....
I did have other plans to spend my $300 on, but life comes at you fast...
Thanks!
Old 05-05-2011, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by L_U_D_I_AMaxima
Thanks for all the help people, I gave up and purchased the valve the next morning from the AutoBarn Nissan??? Somewhere in Chicago, my cousin came to help me out at the Parking lot on that Target, we woke up early morning drove to the dealer picked up the part, came back to the car installed it for about 20 and I was back on my way.
After the installation the car ran much smother than ever before, no idle problems, no check engine light, no funny shakes or rattles....
Made it back home last night perfectly safe....
I did have other plans to spend my $300 on, but life comes at you fast...
Thanks!
hate those unexpected problems on the road.
Just for future reference - importrp sells them for 160 i believe.

did you have to perform idle relearn? if so which one you did - by yourself or dealer?
Old 05-05-2011, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by shaks
hate those unexpected problems on the road.
Just for future reference - importrp sells them for 160 i believe.

did you have to perform idle relearn? if so which one you did - by yourself or dealer?
Well I disconnected the battery first, disconnected the cables for gas and cruise control, disconnected all 3 wire connectors (2 on the Tb and 1 on the Idle control valve), disconnected both coolant lines going into the Idle Control Valve and slowly took the entire TB assembly out of the car.
Next step were the 5 screws holding the Idle control valve on the bottom of the TB.
Cleaned the surface, installed new gasket, bolted back the new Idle Control Valve with the new screws and put everything back together....
After I started the car, I let it warm up (it was a cold morning in Chicago) and the rpms dropped dead on 700 without having to do the idle relearn....
By the way I did all that on the parking lot, no dealers.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by ColdRain
not helping, but props for driving 5+ hours and still able to manage to do most of the whole nine yards.
Well I actually did all nine yards, new Idle Control Valve from the dealer, and back on the road like new....
All that on the parking lot of Target next to O'Hare Airport.... LOL
Old 05-06-2011, 05:12 AM

I still don't get it. Was the car essentially not driveable at all? Is yours auto or manual? With auto, I would be hesitant to drive with IACV gone but with manual one should be able to make it home. I got my license on a car which used to stall at idle! It was fun at stop light :-)

- Vikas