5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Some new rims maybe

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 07:18 AM

Some new rims maybe

Ok some im in the market for rims and tires since my summer tires are shot. I found some Axis Hiros in 18x8.5 with a 35 offset. Tires are 235/45/18. Off the miata tire calc the tires should be all set as im running right now 225/50/17 and these will be slightly wider and a a smidge taller but that shouldn't be a problem cause im running 225/55/17 winter tires that only rub on bad bumps.

What im wondering is going from the 17 GLE rims to these Axis 18 inch rims, is the ride going to suffer. If it will be like having concrete for wheels then i dont want them but i read the 18x8.5 rims are 22 lbs, about 2 lbs lighter than the gle. Also wondering on the size of the rim with the 35 offset if they will actually fit under the wheels wells and not rub. Anyone have any info to make sure i dont buy something that wont work?
Old 04-19-2011, 07:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

They will work in terms of fitment, but ride quality will be worse. I switched from 235/45/18s to 245/40/18s and ride quality was much better, but still not as good as riding on 17s. Unless you are dropped 2" or more, 18x8.5 +35mm with either 235/45 or 245/40 tires will not rub. The lower profile 235/45 will give you more space under the fenders though.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:26 AM

This thread should give you a good idea:

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...cs-thread.html

And this site:

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp
Old 04-19-2011, 07:41 AM

i figured the ride will not be as good. Just wondering if it gonna be way worse and so unbearable that i shouldn't get them. Im on the sprint springs so it is close to a 2 inch drop. From the miata site it state the current side wall is 4.4 inches and the new sidewall with the 18 rims and tires will be 4.2. so not a ton of sidewall loss which makes me think it might not be a radically worse ride... am i correct in that thinking? I love the look of the hiros and the price is a steal and im sure these will be gone if i dont jump on em,. But i dont want to regret getting them if im breaking my teeth all the time.

Another thing... i only got 22 lbs off some forum as i couldn't find the weight anywhere else. Does 22 lbs seem right and if they are actually 2 lbs less than stocks GLEs in essence the ride quality may be equaled out due to less weight but bigger rim?

Oh so confused...

by the way Puppetmaster, that rimsntires site is awesome, better than the Miata site
Old 04-19-2011, 08:00 AM

I went from 17"s to 18"s and then back to 17"s. The roads in PA are bad and unforgiving. I really liked the look of 18"s, but the ride was punishing.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:26 AM

I do this change every summer season,I am swapping this friday. its not as comfy as stock gles. Is it horrible...... in PA yes sometimes it is. Is it regretably unfavorable no not really. You get used to it. But like I said its just for the summer and for whatever reason its nice to be able to swap them every season and experience different ends of the spectrum and appreciate both sides/seasons.
IMO Harshness is increased about %50

Its hard to say on the weight.. u would think the design of those wheels would be a little lighter than the stockers..but mine are a similar 5 spoke design and definately heavier.
By the way those wheels look great for any maxima year... did u find the wheels used?
Old 04-19-2011, 09:35 AM

thanks PMasta that tire calc link far exceeds any other calculators out there.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:49 AM

If you're riding on Sprints, it won't be too much worse going to 18s, lol. Just kidding...

Yeah, that's my favorite tire/rim calculator by far. The Axis Hiros are nice, here's some inspirational pictures for you, IMO the best ambassador for Hiros on a Maxima we ever had:

http://forums.maxima.org/members-rid...shed-pics.html

Old 04-19-2011, 09:51 AM

i'm going to speak from riding on 265/30/19s on my spring/strut setup (dropzone springs and tokico illuminas - 2" drop) to that same set of tires on coilovers...NIGHT AND FUKIN DAY!!!...the ride on my coilovers on the 19s, i swear the ride was phenominal!!.

as far as on springs and struts...go at least 245/40/18s...you will enjoy it much better, but like was said, the 40 series arent as good a ride as the stock tires
Old 04-19-2011, 11:01 AM

Ok the ride i will deal with. The biggest thing im looking at now is it says with the 8.5 inch rim the front lip will extend an extra 24mm and the inside will be 14mm. Im wondering if will clear the fenders. Has anyone had that rim width and offset and does it work without rolling the fenders?
Old 04-19-2011, 11:19 AM

cant wait. getting them tonight. and puppet that thread with kcm's car. oh how hot. im getting all excited.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:37 AM

i had 19x9 +30 offset w/ 265/30/19s....didnt need much considering..you'll be fine

check my progress thread and youll see the 19s...i think its on page 5
Old 04-19-2011, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by jeff5347
Ok the ride i will deal with. The biggest thing im looking at now is it says with the 8.5 inch rim the front lip will extend an extra 24mm and the inside will be 14mm. Im wondering if will clear the fenders. Has anyone had that rim width and offset and does it work without rolling the fenders?
It will be fine, I think. And its not just the fenders, there's a "tab" on the inside of the fender that sticks out. I forget what its for, maybe its an anchor of some sort, but people dremel that down a little because that's a bigger culprit than the fender itself. Anyone got more specifics?

Anyway, I ran 245/40/18 with 8.5 wides +33 offset and it would only rub on the biggest bumps. This was with a pretty low drop too. Shameless self promotion, but here was my drop + rims:

Old 04-19-2011, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
It will be fine, I think. And its not just the fenders, there's a "tab" on the inside of the fender that sticks out. I forget what its for, maybe its an anchor of some sort, but people dremel that down a little because that's a bigger culprit than the fender itself. Anyone got more specifics?
agreed...if it wasnt for that...i would have never had my rear tires (265/30/19) got sliced the way they did..i promise...the maximas can fit some wide fukin tires in the back...and since my tab is..well....ground down
i can fit some 10" back there, 99% sure 11"
Old 04-19-2011, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
agreed...if it wasnt for that...i would have never had my rear tires (265/30/19) got sliced the way they did..i promise...the maximas can fit some wide fukin tires in the back...and since my tab is..well....ground down
i can fit some 10" back there, 99% sure 11"
Thanks for confirming that. I never ground mine down a lot and didn't really need to, but you're right that you can fit some big tires back there if that tab didn't exist.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:09 PM

just an FYI....the tab got ground down because i was on a trip test fitting those tires...i didnt know what it was cutting the tires until the cutting and grounding was done lol...ill post pics in here just for later reference

265/30/19 19x9 +30:

oh and btw, with a very minor pull of the fender, this is the fitment i got with extremely minimal rubbing, no bull****

Old 04-19-2011, 04:29 PM

ok so got the rims. The polished cleared lip has some marks on them but i will try some elbow grease to get rid of them or cut down how much there is.
The guy didn't have the lugs with him, and it was a 1hr drive
So now hes gonna see if he has them at his house. My question is i tried one of the stock lugs but the socket wont fit. I may be in need of lugs and
1. dont know the thread pitch --12x1.5, 12x1.25 ect
and 2 where do i finf lugs to fit inside the rims so the socket can fit
Old 04-19-2011, 07:15 PM

you need 12x1.25. something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001O0CBXO
Old 04-19-2011, 11:27 PM

i have the GUNMETAL AXIS HIRO 18x8.5 on my max(in profile pic) and i dont have any issues. i like the ride they dont rub at all either.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:40 AM

12x1.25...but you're going to need to invest in a slim wall deep wall socket when running aftermarket wheels
Old 04-20-2011, 04:08 AM

ok i was checking to see if the socket fit that i have that is a 21mm and it fits in nice. just enough clearance. I was wondering. Can we use our stock lugnuts or do we NEED to use aftermarket lugs?
Old 04-20-2011, 05:11 AM

i've used stock lug nuts...i think its more of an appearance/pet peeve thing than anything, someone correct me if i'm wrong. not to mention the aftermarket ones i got kept fukin up my wheel studs
Old 04-20-2011, 05:31 AM

It depends on the design of the wheel - with the 350Z Track rims I preferred to use Z lugs because they are twice as long as the Maxima lugs, and the holes were so deep the Max lugs were all the way at the bottom when tight. As posted above, some types of cheap lugs will give you problems, whether its the splines striping, cross threading (due to poor quality and weak threads, not operator error), corroding to the studs, etc. I've seen those happen to many people with "tuner" lugs. Since the lugs are the only things keeping the wheels on the car, and something that you may be taking on and off a lot, don't take any chances. OEM is always good, but invest in some good ones if you decide not to use OEM - Rays, Project Kics, etc. I know some people will scoff at this suggestion, but IMO, it isn't worth going cheap on certain items... lugs, tires, toilet paper....
Old 04-20-2011, 05:55 AM

It depends on the design of the wheel - with the 350Z Track rims I preferred to use Z lugs because they are twice as long as the Maxima lugs, and the holes were so deep the Max lugs were all the way at the bottom when tight. As posted above, some types of cheap lugs will give you problems, whether its the splines striping, cross threading (due to poor quality and weak threads, not operator error), corroding to the studs, etc. I've seen those happen to many people with "tuner" lugs. Since the lugs are the only things keeping the wheels on the car, and something that you may be taking on and off a lot, don't take any chances. OEM is always good, but invest in some good ones if you decide not to use OEM - Rays, Project Kics, etc. I know some people will scoff at this suggestion, but IMO, it isn't worth going cheap on certain items... lugs, tires, toilet paper....
PLEASE COME TO MY HOUSE AND TELL MY WIFE THIS!!!!!!!!! I WILL NOT!!!!!! I REFUSE!!!!!!! TO USE!!!!!!!!!! DOLLAR GENERAL TOILET PAPER

back on topic...lol how much are OEM 350z lugs? i hate to pay $100+ for lug nuts
Old 04-20-2011, 06:09 AM

i have 18" 5zigen 8.5 33offset wheels and they are fine, still plan on getting some spacers.

you old men in here need to stop complaining lol, the ride is fine with 18's, just avoid holes in the road and watch for bumps, and dont drive like a retard.

the worst car for bumps was my integra a few years ago, i was dumped on tein coilovers, cranked the stiffness and was running on a 205-45-16 tire. car was on ****in rails... highway onramps at 130+km/h. for ****s i ripped around ottawa for 2 weeks with my RA1's (r compound for the newbs) and it was great. if anyone has been to ottawa im sure its worse that alot of roads in the states just because of the colder weather in the winter. our roads are ****ed this time of the year. all in all ive ridden on everything from 13-18" wheels on 8 different cars and over 25 sets of rims (I used to be a wheel *****)

to the OP, you will be fine and they will look great on the car. just careful when you drive and you'll be fine. good luck
Old 04-20-2011, 06:28 AM

I agree dont need the wheels falling off at 80. I have my stcok lugs now on my stock rims and i have no problem reusing them IF they can be used on the axis rims. I just didnt know if matching stock lugs to aftermarket lugs was a no no. I mean later down the road i can get some nicer looking lugs but for now im not worried about the look.

Originally Posted by phatboislim
PLEASE COME TO MY HOUSE AND TELL MY WIFE THIS!!!!!!!!! I WILL NOT!!!!!! I REFUSE!!!!!!! TO USE!!!!!!!!!! DOLLAR GENERAL TOILET PAPER

back on topic...lol how much are OEM 350z lugs? i hate to pay $100+ for lug nuts
Phat, come on TP is TP. So what if it makes your butt bleed and get raw... oh sorry thats for another time hahaha yea good TP is essential

Ok guys so really, will i run into any problems putting the stock lugs on the axis rims. I really want to get them on and if i can use the lugs i have im gonna do it now.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:54 AM

go ahead and put em on, you'll be fine. i've used stock lugs on aftermarket and oem wheels, no issues

same wheels you see in my sig, i used my stock lug nuts
Old 04-20-2011, 07:15 AM

ok so i dont need new ones. Im just nervous i reuse my stock lugs and then something happens. I was looking and on our stock lugs the conical area goes right into the hex.
Unlike something like this where there is a bulge at the end

Ok so you say just go put the rims on with the factory lugs

Im a newb at this end of the spectrum because this is my first set on aftermarkets EVER on any car.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:31 AM

yea you'll be fine. i've heard that its important to have conical lug nuts on wheels w/ conical 'insets' and flat lug nuts for wheels w/ a flat 'inset'...i dont know the exact terminology...but its basically tetris, if you get where i'm going
Old 04-20-2011, 10:02 AM

IMO the best ambassador for Hiros on a Maxima we ever had:

Exactly what I was picturing this whole time.

ok so i dont need new ones. Im just nervous i reuse my stock lugs and then something happens. I was looking and on our stock lugs the conical area goes right into the hex.
Unlike something like this where there is a bulge at the end

Ok so you say just go put the rims on with the factory lugs

Im a newb at this end of the spectrum because this is my first set on aftermarkets EVER on any car.
Like Pmasta said depends on design of wheels. I have specific lugs with an adapter that came with the wheels etc. Typically aftermarket wheels come with lugs either way.

BIG C are you using lugs that came with the wheels or your stockies?

Last edited by Prophecy99; 04-20-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
Exactly what I was picturing this whole time.

Like Pmasta said depends on design of wheels. I have specific lugs with an adapter that came with the wheels etc. Typically aftermarket wheels come with lugs either way.

BIG C are you using lugs that came with the wheels or your stockies?

i had to buy smaller lugs/locks 12mm x 1.25
Old 04-20-2011, 10:21 AM

thanks for the reply, hopefully that helps jeff.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:34 PM

ok that does help. i have the rims on with my stock lugs but the clearance for the socket is nothing. So im gonna order some lugs in a 17 mm head so the lug can fit in there. Also curious Prophecy, do you know what the inside diameter of the rim is where the hubcentric ring fits and our bore for the rim to sit on. I think we have something like 64.1 but dont know the inside of the Hiros. I gotta order some rings as well. Anyone have any good links of sites that sell the rings.

All the stuff im seeing is the inside diameter of the rim to seat the hub ring is 73.1. So im assumingf i need a ring that is 73.1 to 64.1 or what ever the max hub is?
Old 04-20-2011, 01:53 PM

i'm 99% sure ours is 66.1
Old 04-20-2011, 03:52 PM

so u bought them huh, when i had my hiros i got my lugnuts from speedzone on main st. he sells them dirt cheap

Last edited by scarface4522; 04-20-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:15 PM

Old 04-20-2011, 05:06 PM

^^^DAMN i didnt see anyone around for that stuff. i just bpught the rings and lugs off ebay. Ill get some pics uo once i take some.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:32 PM
You embarrass me.

Jeff, there is a reason why Puppetmaster runs sh*t around here...

QFT. Our OEM lugs use a conical seat as opposed to many other make OEM lugs which have a flat seat. This allows them to work with aftermarket wheels, which most if not all will have a conical seat. The reason for this is to assist with centering of the wheel to the hub since there would be a gap (hence hubcentric rings). OEM lugs if possible or quality aftermarket lugs.

The tab sucks, but nothing a dremel can't fix a bit. I need to address that myself as well.

I need my 245/40s so badly.

, IMO the best ambassador for Hiros on a Maxima we ever had:

This was the 5.5 that made me want to mod mine, no BS.

The Hiros will look great with your car man. Enjoy them, and the weight loss is minimal but any unsprung weight loss is better than none. The ride will be fine, just a little bit harsher. Can't be hiding in 17" GLE sidewalls forever.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ
Jeff, there is a reason why Puppetmaster runs sh*t around here...

Yea i know, I got the OEM ones on but the socket is way to tight. I dont want to get stuck somewhere and have to take off the rim with a socket that is gonna kill my rims. I didnt get tuner lugs or anything fancy. Just some open faced lugs that have the conical edge but a 17mm socket so it will fit a lot better.

QFT. Our OEM lugs use a conical seat as opposed to many other make OEM lugs which have a flat seat. This allows them to work with aftermarket wheels, which most if not all will have a conical seat. The reason for this is to assist with centering of the wheel to the hub since there would be a gap (hence hubcentric rings). OEM lugs if possible or quality aftermarket lugs.

Yea i ordered these as well. I want everything to be good and not have to have any worries while i drive

The tab sucks, but nothing a dremel can't fix a bit. I need to address that myself as well.

Hahaha i ground that down when i started putting spacers on. That is no more a problem.

I need my 245/40s so badly.

This was the 5.5 that made me want to mod mine, no BS.

Agreed seeing Proph's car was like looking at an art piece. The rims, color, ground effects..everything makes his car a classy looking ride.

Ya know i weighed my stocks with the snows and these. The stocks weigh in at 50lbs each. I figured the new rim tire combo would at least be good for a 3 or so difference. Nope same exact weight and the hiros are supposed to weight like 22lbs.

The Hiros will look great with your car man. Enjoy them, and the weight loss is minimal but any unsprung weight loss is better than none. The ride will be fine, just a little bit harsher. Can't be hiding in 17" GLE sidewalls forever.

Ok so here is a teaser pic. The weather was bad, shot off a cell phone and really no good shot, dirty car, tires need dressing but here is a pic. This pic looks like dodo to me but in person really is growing on me. Once i use the right camera i think the pics will turn out way better. I will get better ones off a real camera and a better day.

Last edited by jeff5347; 04-20-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:37 AM

looks sessi

Quick Reply: Some new rims maybe