5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Drop-in LED instrument cluster lighting for 5.5 owners. Finally found one that works!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 10:57 AM

Tuner has a side-business where he solders LED's into your cluster so that the light is brighter than these aftermarket drop-ins, and uniform without hotspots. The link was in Post #1.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...hotos-vid.html
Old 05-19-2011, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by nismopc
Forgive the ignorance. I've been following this thread since it initiated, even bought the warm white bulbs (but can't install until I get car back from rear qtr rust repair). I can not figure out what you are referring to when you talk about the "brighten job" per SeedyROM. What exactly is that? I can't find anything on it...
What Rochester said above. Sorry if it was unclear.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Banned

So whats color to go with if i wanted green to match the apexi super afc-2
Old 05-19-2011, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by clashez1983
Relatively uncharted territory there.

If I remember correctly the '03 has the blue tint/film to it so just dropping a green LED in there may yield unexpected results. And while with paint blue + yellow = ~green it's not necessarily that simple with light. As such, I'm not sure if you'll be able to match it but they are fairly cheap to experiment with. That said, I recall my AFC being greenish/blue so if you're lucky the green LED might be just enough to get what you're looking for.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by clashez1983
Originally Posted by SeedyROM
Relatively uncharted territory there.

If I remember correctly the '03 has the blue tint/film to it so just dropping a green LED in there may yield unexpected results. And while with paint blue + yellow = ~green it's not necessarily that simple with light. As such, I'm not sure if you'll be able to match it but they are fairly cheap to experiment with. That said, I recall my AFC being greenish/blue so if you're lucky the green LED might be just enough to get what you're looking for.
You can try Yellow ones, but SeedyRom is absolutely correct, the standard colour wheel for paints, etc does not seem to apply the same to the Light spectrum and tinted films. That said, I'm fairly sure a yellow bulb, if bright enough (the HP3 should work), will yeild a green colour, but expect it to be a dim, pukey, yellowy green, not a nice rich green.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:24 PM
Banned

So even with the route you went with doing your led lights it would probably yeid the same results then
Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
You can try Yellow ones, but SeedyRom is absolutely correct, the standard colour wheel for paints, etc does not seem to apply the same to the Light spectrum and tinted films. That said, I'm fairly sure a yellow bulb, if bright enough (the HP3 should work), will yeild a green colour, but expect it to be a dim, pukey, yellowy green, not a nice rich green.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:11 PM

It's difficult to say, I have stuff coming in the next few weeks to try the following colours:

Red, Yellow, Green, white, warm white, cool white. Unfortunately, I still don't have a 5.5 style gauge face to test it on, all I have is the 5.5 'style' with the 5th gen SE gauge face. So the illumination is the same, but the colour isn't. Has anyone wrecked their gauges trying to do something to them and want to send me a 5.5 gauge face??? :/

You're in the US, just order 2 yellow HP3's and try it man. Under $10 shipped and you have your answer, post the results to help others.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:12 PM
^ Jeff™

Not sure if it matters to anyone else here but it's related to the thread.

I have an '02 SE gauge in my '03 GLE...I also happened to have the '03 GLE gauge sitting around. The sockets on both are different...with the '03 being a better design (and the bulb is much harder to remove too).

'02 on the left, '03 on the right in both pics

Last edited by MrEous; 07-22-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:47 AM

This explains why I found the bulb fitment so tight, when people here have been talking about loose sockets. I really had to tug with a bit of force to remove my OEM bulbs.

That's a pretty interesting and detailed observation, Mr. Eous.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:20 AM
^ Jeff™

Originally Posted by Rochester
This explains why I found the bulb fitment so tight, when people here have been talking about loose sockets. I really had to tug with a bit of force to remove my OEM bulbs.
This is why I had to use one of the GLE's sockets on the SE gauge. One of the copper flanges on the SE's socket had broken off. Uggh.
And yes, the OEM bulb on the GLE was quite difficult to remove. I ended up busting the bulb to get it out.
That's a pretty interesting and detailed observation, Mr. Eous.
Thanks...and sorry for the pic quality.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:11 AM
^ Jeff™

FYI...You can get a 5% discount off of superbrightleds by entering 'REMG' for the coupon code. It was one of the banner advertisements here. Otherwise they're pretty stingy about discounts.

v-leds has a wide variety of discount codes available but if you sign up for their newsletter on the website front page then you'll get a code sent to you for 15% off.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by MrEous
FYI...You can get a 5% discount off of superbrightleds by entering 'REMG' for the coupon code. It was one of the banner advertisements here. Otherwise they're pretty stingy about discounts.

v-leds has a wide variety of discount codes available but if you sign up for their newsletter on the website front page then you'll get a code sent to you for 15% off.
I can almost hear a resounding "DO'H!" from everyone who has purchased them without this info LOL.

Thanks though, I may just buy a bunch of these to do the LCD screens when I do my brighten job. They work well for that.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:09 AM

I installed mine yesterday and wow... this is a must do.

Thanks everyone!
Old 05-20-2011, 10:10 AM
^ Jeff™

I can almost hear a resounding "DO'H!" from everyone who has purchased them without this info LOL.
Ha! I'm one of them. At least these #74 drop-ins are cheap...but if you're planning on doing the full interior it can add up quick!

Last edited by MrEous; 05-20-2011 at 10:36 AM. Reason: ...added 'e' to 'one' so I didn't seem too illiterate
Old 05-20-2011, 10:18 AM

I just realized that strange, pink backdrop is the palm of your hand.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:35 AM
^ Jeff™

I just realized that strange, pink backdrop is the palm of your hand.

I knew I should've used my pink princess pillow instead.
Hell it was around midnight last night that I decided to take the pic and my hand had the best contrast for a background.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:42 AM

Old 05-20-2011, 12:06 PM
dot dot dot ...

Jesus guys, I'm used to being under the car or under the hood ... Where might I find these little wedge items, broke the clips on 2 of them.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:03 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by NmexMAX

Jesus guys, I'm used to being under the car or under the hood ... Where might I find these little wedge items, broke the clips on 2 of them.
Search !!! Post #266 for Amazon link. You should be able to get them from your local NAPA: Echlin LS6500. Double check the numbers just to make sure.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:06 PM
Toolie

If you want a nice green color I suggest getting a yellow filter and use white bulbs. Yellow filter and blue filter and white light will equal green.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:14 PM
Banned

Thanks bud...
Originally Posted by knight_yyz
If you want a nice green color I suggest getting a yellow filter and use white bulbs. Yellow filter and blue filter and white light will equal green.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:49 PM
^ Jeff™

Me too, hahaha...I guess these little wedge things don't need the torque I'm having to use on bolts.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:52 PM
dot dot dot ...

Yeah, I broke the bulb coming out, then put it back in and it wouldn't light, then i tried it enough times to weaken the metal and it broke off, and I did it on 2 of them so I decided to stop while I was ahead.

try again later.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:22 PM

I swear, I can dismantle the cluster blindfolded now. Kind of funny. Anyway, I have 2 follow-ups on my participation in this thread.

One, the thicker pink filter is holding up just fine inside the clock face. I took it apart again and inspected it as OK, then committed to the filter mod by clipping the clock back into the dashboard. The clock looks great... blue-white color, always bright day and night. I tried taking pictures, but it just hasn't worked out. Not sure why. So I'm done with the clock-mod.

Two, I received 3 warm-white LCD bulbs this past Friday, and tried them out in the cluster this afternoon. I have to say, I prefer the cool-white better. It wasn't even a toss-up; for me the cool-white just looks a whole lot better than the warm white. So I'm done with this mod, too.

I've said it before, this thread delivers.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:04 PM
RR5

Yup pliers and those wedge bulbs do not mix. Found out the best way to get the bulb out is to rock or wiggle it side to side.

Forgot to get more comparison photos because disconnecting the cluster resets the trip counters.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:20 AM
^ Jeff™

I swear, I can dismantle the cluster blindfolded now. Kind of funny. Anyway, I have 2 follow-ups on my participation in this thread.

One, the thicker pink filter is holding up just fine inside the clock face. I took it apart again and inspected it as OK, then committed to the filter mod by clipping the clock back into the dashboard. The clock looks great... blue-white color, always bright day and night. I tried taking pictures, but it just hasn't worked out. Not sure why. So I'm done with the clock-mod.
So you only used 1 layer of pink? Does it match the cool-white gauges?
Two, I received 3 warm-white LCD bulbs this past Friday, and tried them out in the cluster this afternoon. I have to say, I prefer the cool-white better. It wasn't even a toss-up; for me the cool-white just looks a whole lot better than the warm white. So I'm done with this mod, too.
I liked the cool-white too, especially in dawn/dusk.
This thread was great. Costly too, got the led bug and am doing the full interior to cool-white. The wife will say it is "too bright" but I love how bright it is at night. I unlock the doors and my dome light actually lights up the car now, even with 20% tint.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:40 AM

Yes, but it's that thick plastic that I posted about last week, not cellophane.

I liked the cool-white too, especially in dawn/dusk.
This thread was great. Costly too, got the led bug and am doing the full interior to cool-white. The wife will say it is "too bright" but I love how bright it is at night. I unlock the doors and my dome light actually lights up the car now, even with 20% tint.
My interior is full-on LED in cool-white, and yes, it looks very, very cool. But understand that while your head tells you "it's brighter", it's actually not as functional as the OEM bulbs. You'll see what I mean when you get there. Have fun with it.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:19 PM

My interior is full-on LED in cool-white, and yes, it looks very, very cool. But understand that while your head tells you "it's brighter", it's actually not as functional as the OEM bulbs. You'll see what I mean when you get there. Have fun with it.
Yeah, it's a bit harder to read by the blueish light of the map light so for those I left them stock. Other than that I changed out the door/dome/etc ones.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:46 PM

Would you like a strip of this material to use in your clock? PM me with an address.

For that matter, if anyone else in this thread wants a strip of the thick pick material I used to filter my clock from green to white-blue, PM me.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:31 PM

I do I do

I want to try a few different things for this Rochester so I'd love to test out the material you have, sounds like it's giving a different effect due to it's different composition and thickness.

P.S. I have LED boards in my Map lights and Dome light, they are at least 300% brighter than the stock bulbs, and make reading a map, etc MUCH easier.... what kind of cheap stuff do you guys have in your MAP lights that makes them worse than stock?!?!?
Old 05-23-2011, 07:55 PM

I do I do

I want to try a few different things for this Rochester so I'd love to test out the material you have, sounds like it's giving a different effect due to it's different composition and thickness.

P.S. I have LED boards in my Map lights and Dome light, they are at least 300% brighter than the stock bulbs, and make reading a map, etc MUCH easier.... what kind of cheap stuff do you guys have in your MAP lights that makes them worse than stock?!?!?
I don't want to get too off topic here so check your PMs.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:28 AM
dot dot dot ...

For good measure I went ahead and ordered 5 of these replacement T5 bases.

For some reason my bulbs were stuck in the socket, like really stuck. I broke the first bulb trying to remove it, and annihilated the base with the bulb still in in it attempting to remove it on the second. (trip & Odo bulbs)

So, I plan on installing the new LED's into the new wedges and just straight plugging them in.

Hopefully less headache.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanx

ive been looking to do this for a while now

03 black SE 6MT love it
Old 05-25-2011, 06:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'd like to thank you guys for the great info on doing this mod. I actually stumbled on this by looking for ways to replace the bulbs in the HVAC system. I had a bulb burn out quite some time ago and it's been bugging the hell out of me. I was told that the only fix was to order a new HVAC unit (I believe by the dealer). Thanks to the information here I've ordered bulbs to replace the HVAC and dash. I'll try to report back once I've completed the install. Something tells me that this forum is going to end up getting me into trouble.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:56 PM

For good measure I went ahead and ordered 5 of these replacement T5 bases.

For some reason my bulbs were stuck in the socket, like really stuck. I broke the first bulb trying to remove it, and annihilated the base with the bulb still in in it attempting to remove it on the second. (trip & Odo bulbs)

So, I plan on installing the new LED's into the new wedges and just straight plugging them in.

Hopefully less headache.
If any of you have THIS much trouble with the stock bulb removal (not uncommon, they can get REALLY stuck), here's one option:

Drill into the back of the socket (bulb holder) with a very small drill bit, in the center, where it says V-2.

Only drill through the plastic! Stop when you feel the plastic let loose, then take a precision screwdriver that fits in the hole you drilled, and push the bulb out. It should come right out.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:36 PM

Just got finished doing the swap on my 2000.

Heres the back of the cluster. I replaced five lights with the "warm white" wedge bulbs from superbrightleds(dot)com:
Name:  mGB9X.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  94.3 KB

Before pic of the gauges:
Name:  UtdjO.jpg
Size:  37.7 KB

After pic of the gauges:
Name:  jp6TB.jpg
Size:  35.5 KB

Shifter light swap. It's actually one 194 wedge, not a #74 Warm White one. Note a hotspot on Neutral, but I don't mind much:
Name:  AmNId.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  28.2 KB

Ignition ring "cool white" LED:
Name:  mYoSm.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  10.4 KB

High Exposure:
Name:  rZXcH.jpg
Size:  116.5 KB

Name:  lJY39.jpg
Size:  114.9 KB
Old 05-26-2011, 07:24 PM

^ Looks great, nice work man!!
I have a few plug and play bulbs for the Auto shifters if you guys are interested, they are much brighter than that. PM for details. Here's a pic:

Stock:

Drop In Bulb:

And what is up with your battery light?
Old 05-26-2011, 07:32 PM

And what is up with your battery light?
I either replaced that led on accident or its shining over from the rpms giving it a pinkish glow
Old 05-26-2011, 09:31 PM

^ Looks great, nice work man!!
I have a few plug and play bulbs for the Auto shifters if you guys are interested, they are much brighter than that. PM for details. Here's a pic:
Two quick questions for you or anyone that knows.

Are the bulbs the same across the model years? I don't want to snag one if it may not fit. Also I was wondering how easy this one is to get to. The HVAC sort of turned me off given how much crap it involved but if the shifter is the same or easier than the cluster, I'd take a swing at it
Old 05-26-2011, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by SeedyROM
Two quick questions for you or anyone that knows.

Are the bulbs the same across the model years? I don't want to snag one if it may not fit. Also I was wondering how easy this one is to get to. The HVAC sort of turned me off given how much crap it involved but if the shifter is the same or easier than the cluster, I'd take a swing at it
My buddys 03 used a #74 wedge led (same as gauges) for the shifter I believe. And mine (a 2000) used a 194 (same size as door lights/license plate/parking light/etc.) It was a huge pain in the a$$ for me to get my shifter plate off but maybe it was just stuck real good ...I'd go for it, easy mod and looks great

Quick Reply: Drop-in LED instrument cluster lighting for 5.5 owners. Finally found one that works!