5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Are the Rubber boots on Front Shocks Needed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 02:58 PM

Are the Rubber boots on Front Shocks Needed?

Have the original shocks on my 2000 I30 and the rubber boots are torn to shreads on the front (didn't look at the back). Ride still seems fine (only 79K miles)

Are the rubber shock boots needed?
What do they do?
Do the rear shocks have rubber boots too?

If I were going to replace the shocks and want to keep the OEM ride whats the latest reccomendation on brand and where is the best place to get them?

thanks!
Old 03-22-2011, 03:11 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Yes. They shield the piston of the shock from any rocks or contaminants. This is important because if a small rock or other debris gets on the piston and it compresses it can damage the seal causing leaking and ultimately failure of the shock.

Originally Posted by sascuderi
Have the original shocks on my 2000 I30 and the rubber boots are torn to shreads on the front (didn't look at the back). Ride still seems fine (only 79K miles)

Are the rubber shock boots needed?
What do they do?
Do the rear shocks have rubber boots too?

If I were going to replace the shocks and want to keep the OEM ride whats the latest reccomendation on brand and where is the best place to get them?

thanks!
Old 03-22-2011, 03:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

at 79k your struts are due to be replaced and yes you need the boot. The rear has a boot as well. I just replaced my 5th gen struts all the way around with KYB GR-2. 184k and it feels like i just pulled off the lot (well maybe not off the lot but you get the picture)
Old 03-22-2011, 03:19 PM

^^ +1

on that note though, just ride on them till they die saving up for coilovers
Old 03-22-2011, 04:53 PM

yea they're important to have. But if these are your factory struts and shocks, and the boots are torn, just ride them till they die and replace. For factory ride, replace with kyb gr2's or tokico blues. Buy boots with them when you get new ones.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by OnOiShNo0dl3Z
yea they're important to have. But if these are your factory struts and shocks, and the boots are torn, just ride them till they die and replace. For factory ride, replace with kyb gr2's or tokico blues. Buy boots with them when you get new ones.
thanks for the info everyone and thats what I'll do.

Any advice on where to get the kyb or the blues?
Old 03-22-2011, 07:26 PM

Fleabay or kyboutlet.com for the GR2'2. Do Not use aftermarket boots! Ask me how I know!
Bear in mind that the KYB's will give you a substantially firmer ride than your 79K OEM's. I changed mine @ 80Kish and although none of them had failed, the ride was quite a bit stiffer. I like it!
Old 03-22-2011, 08:27 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by sascuderi
thanks for the info everyone and thats what I'll do.

Any advice on where to get the kyb or the blues?
The cheapest place I found KYB GR2 was Amazon. However, I then called importrp (an .org vendor) and asked if they would price match. They not only price matched, but their shipping was free also. Just tell them you are a member of maxima.org when you call. FYI: Much cheaper then kyboutlet.com currently has theirs listed.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:32 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by nelledge
The cheapest place I found KYB GR2 was Amazon. However, I then called importrp (an .org vendor) and asked if they would price match. They not only price matched, but their shipping was free also. Just tell them you are a member of maxima.org when you call. FYI: Much cheaper then kyboutlet.com currently has theirs listed.
I got my KYB GR2's at importrp as well. Their shipping is quite fast too, even though it is free.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:12 PM

Amazon is slightly cheaper than Summit......and those boots are dual purpose:
1. Seals the piston rod from contaminates, dust and dirt.....
2. Boot incorporates a bumpstop to prevents one from damaging your strut cylinder....
Old 03-23-2011, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by spock
Do Not use aftermarket boots! Ask me how I know!
How do you know?

I am using aftermarket boots from NAPA and they are 100% better than OEM. Perfect fit. Great quality. I personally think OEM boots suck.

REAR Bumpstop and boot...

FRONT bumpstop and boot...
Old 03-24-2011, 07:35 PM

thanks again...I've purchased from importrp before here on the org (brakes/rotors) and had a good experience. When I'm ready that is where I'll likely go.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:10 PM

I actually got a pretty good deal from discountautoshocks.com when I bought my KYB GR-2's and dustboots last month - $344 shipped.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:43 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by lake985
I actually got a pretty good deal from discountautoshocks.com when I bought my KYB GR-2's and dustboots last month - $344 shipped.
$320 shipped for the same items from importrp in February. maxima.org vendor, too
Old 03-25-2011, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by nismopc
How do you know?

I am using aftermarket boots from NAPA and they are 100% better than OEM. Perfect fit. Great quality. I personally think OEM boots suck.

REAR Bumpstop and boot...

FRONT bumpstop and boot...
I should have been more specific and said do not use Moog or KYB aftermarket boots. My Moogs failed after less than a year and same story for another member that used KYB.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:10 AM

I should have been more specific and said do not use Moog or KYB aftermarket boots. My Moogs failed after less than a year and same story for another member that used KYB.
Everything I've read on the Org leads me to conclude OEM boots are the way to go. As for personal experience, my OEM boots are 9 years old and still fine. When I had Blues installed a year ago, we inspected the original boots and were surprised to see what good shape they were in. No cracks, or rips, or apparent weak areas. So I cleaned them up, and reconditioned them with silicon spray.

I know that seems weird for a 9 year old, northeastern, winter-driven car... but there it is. True story.

Use OEM boots.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:50 AM

That is strange. My OEM's were literaly in pieces @ 8 yrs. Oh well, new ones are enroute to me, so when the weather warms up I'll be pulling the shocks out. Funny, the front Moogs are fine. I think it has to do with fittment. The rears are too small in diameter @ the bottom.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:04 AM

You have a 2002 Infiniti, and I have a 2003 Nissan. Maybe the boots come from different manufacturing lines? That's a pretty big "maybe", which I highly suspect. But stranger things have been known to happen, and automotive part supplies are far less rigid than you would think.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:19 AM
Suspension Yoda

Good thread and good info guys. I get my parts from Amazon Prime - free 2 day shipping , and I use OEM boots ONLY. And yes, I have tried the aftermarket boots.

As for the in-tact boots vs what I call 'pile of rings' boots - I too have observed the same phenomenon. Some boots are a pile of rings at 70k, others are in perfect condition at 110k. Haven't made heads or tails of it.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:40 AM

Well if you dont mind paying for a new set of struts when these blow out in a short period of time then no. But its recommended that you have them on to prevent such a thing from happening. So yes you need them on.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:45 AM

"Pile of rings". That's a good one. And an accurate description to boot. (Pun intended).
When I called the dealership for a price, the parts guy actually asked me for my VIN. He said that there were different boots for different build dates? Hope I'll be O.K with the Maxima ones that I ordered online.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:03 AM
Suspension Yoda

"Pile of rings". That's a good one. And an accurate description to boot. (Pun intended).
When I called the dealership for a price, the parts guy actually asked me for my VIN. He said that there were different boots for different build dates? Hope I'll be O.K with the Maxima ones that I ordered online.
This is actually correct - 5.0 gen vs 5.5 gen.

However, they're the same price and are interchangeable.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:16 AM

The parts description from the website stated: bumper, maxima, tokai, beam suspension - 00-03. I figured that sounded correct so I ordered them.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:27 AM
Suspension Yoda

What was the part #?
Old 03-25-2011, 08:47 AM

552402y000
Old 03-25-2011, 08:51 AM
Suspension Yoda

Thats the part # for rear dustboots.

Front is 54050-2Y000.

Last edited by djfrestyl; 03-25-2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:36 PM

I just plugged the part # in @ Infiniti Parts USA and it came back with my car listed. So, it looks like I got it right. Now, if the weather would just warm up, I'd get after it.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:01 PM

I used Moog boots and they suck big time.......Much regret not getting the OEM
Old 03-25-2011, 08:02 PM

NAPA # 265-4127 (F)
NAPA # 265-4131 (R)

boot and bumpstop
Old 03-26-2011, 06:50 AM

How long have you been running the Napa boots?
Old 03-26-2011, 09:03 AM

How long have you been running the Napa boots?
At 89k, I replaced the shredded/torn OEM one-piece boot/bumps with OEM one-piece boot/bumps...

At 147k, I replaced the shredded/torn one-piece OEM replacement boot/bumps with the NAPA two-piece boot/bumps...

Currently at 160k+ and NAPA boots still look like new and stay in place.

Also, note, I cut the one-piece boot/bumpstops on OEM and they never stayed in place. The NAPA two-piece design allows for shortening of bump-stops AND they stay in place. Less stress and great quality.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:01 AM

Great info...once I clear up some expenses I going to get new shocks. Leaning towards the Tokico Blues after doing some reading online. Its funny how one of the hardest parts is finding the right boots. Guess I'll go with NAPA
Old 03-27-2011, 09:24 AM
Suspension Yoda

I just replaced Napa boots on two customers cars because they were too tight on the piston and were GROANING when the car moved up and down. My recommendation is still OEM.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:46 AM

The piston is stationary while the shock body moves up & down. How does the bump stop move to make a noise? My left front just developed a squeak yesterday, (sounds like creaking rubber). Great, something else to deal with.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:58 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

The piston is stationary while the shock body moves up & down. How does the bump stop move to make a noise? My left front just developed a squeak yesterday, (sounds like creaking rubber). Great, something else to deal with.
As far as which one is moving, inertial frame of reference will determine that. The bump stop probably isn't your squeak. If they squeak it will usually be when first installed and the noise typically goes away after the stop has some wear. Time to start investigating.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:13 AM

Yes, the piston will move down into the shock body, (hard braking for example on the front). I guess what I was getting at, is that the bump stop sits @ the top of the piston and shouldn't move on the piston.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:42 AM

I've had good luck with Old style KYB's ad the New style KYB's and Rochester said a mouth full regarding cleaning them and reconditioning them ......I clean my suspension, under carriage and engine bay on a routine basis as well!
Old 03-27-2011, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl

I just replaced Napa boots on two customers cars because they were too tight on the piston and were GROANING when the car moved up and down. My recommendation is still OEM.
How is that possible? The bump stop is stationary on the boot at the tophat. The piston of the shock/strut does not move. The shock/strut moves.

I speculate another reason for the groaning, but then again, I have no idea what type of car or the type of boot. I can say with certainty, there is no way these Maxima boot/bump stops will groan.

This is when I had the Vogtlands, but you should get the idea from the pic. That boot/bumstop is stationary. The piston does not move inside it.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:57 PM

I have the pile of rings i didnt kno wut it was at first lol. So next month illuminas n I might get some eibachs springs for the front .

Last edited by cmd26; 03-28-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:38 AM

I just replaced my shocks/struts and springs and i had bought some replacement boots from tire rack. when the boots arived i noticed they where plastic as aposed to the oem being rubber. that and they looked cheap so i reused the oem ones. oh and i had ordered some from cheker oreiley and they looked the same as the kyb. the lady there told me that they were an oem direct replacement and that the oem boots on my car HAD to be plastic also. so i said thanks but no thanks. OEM IS

Quick Reply: Are the Rubber boots on Front Shocks Needed?