5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need Help Guys!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 12:18 PM

Need Help Guys!

So. today i went to do my alignment kuz my wheels are f* up. 10 Minutes later the guyy came in and explain to me that my camber and toe is wayy off and its due to a bent rear beam. which i asked him how much would it cost and he say 700 Dolllars for parts and labor. So I kinda needed you guys help. If you guys know any Junkyard in RI or any online place that i could find a replacement for cheap or any one that has a car that is parting out. Please help me out with some ideas. so at the end the guy charge me 20 dollars to check my alignment and at the end no alignment for me. He say it can't be align? any one pro at these things? thanks ahead of time
Old 03-22-2011, 12:48 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

I feel it would be worth it to take it to another alignment shop and get a second opinion. One that specializes in alignments and suspension work, not a Midas. DO NOT tell them that you went somewhere else. Just ask for an alignment. No background story. I've only seen bent beams on Maximas involved in some kind of collision(like sliding into a curb at a high speed)
Old 03-22-2011, 12:51 PM

you cant align the rear anyway, you dont have IPS....why didnt he just align the front?
Old 03-22-2011, 01:12 PM

If the rear is bent you should be able to see it, just stand behind the car and look at the position of the wheels.

He probably didn't align is because if the rear is way off aligning the front will be pointless, the car will "dogtail" so it will drive like crap either way.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:24 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by phatboislim
you cant align the rear anyway, you dont have IPS....why didnt he just align the front?
Not exactly true. While there is no adjustment per se, you can often fix incorrect toe or camber by replacing worn or broken suspension components. I would look there first. The rear alignment is important.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:29 PM

my bad for misinformation, i figured since we didnt have IPS there was no alignment to be concerned about out back
Old 03-22-2011, 01:34 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by phatboislim
my bad for misinformation, i figured since we didnt have IPS there was no alignment to be concerned about out back
You weren't really wrong about the alignment. It can't be adjusted it can only be corrected. Semantics.

Also, the FSM gives a very simple technique for measuring toe-in on the rear. All you need is a measuring tape, chalk or grease pencil, and a friend. The OP should measure it before going to another shop. Fairly straightforward.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

does anyone know where I post so I am able to post a question about whats wrong with my car im going crazy to fix it and I dont wanna have to put random posts I have been on forums before and understand people dont like new members posting without introducing themselves whoever could help id really appreciate it. I have an 02 maxi 6 speed and im having some issues that I figured only you guys would be able to help me out with I don't wanna start replacing random things because no one can give me a straight answer
Old 03-22-2011, 03:10 PM

hey guys thanks for all the info. the place i brought it to does specialize in alignment and everything else. its called Warren Tires Inc. They seem pretty honest. As for just aligning the fronts only, they have told me that our cars need a 4 wheel alignment. Told me to get it first then come back for alignment. Another thing is that when i look at the beam, it doesnt even seem bent like WTF, but i could be wrong. maybe im not good at looking at it. Anyway one info i left out is that i did have a collision back then where i hit a curb really bad. But really out of all the suspensions component, it sucks to have the beam bent dammit. stressin me out. But thanks for the advice i might try another alignment place
Old 03-22-2011, 06:00 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by Nick0887
does anyone know where I post so I am able to post a question about whats wrong with my car im going crazy to fix it and I dont wanna have to put random posts I have been on forums before and understand people dont like new members posting without introducing themselves whoever could help id really appreciate it. I have an 02 maxi 6 speed and im having some issues that I figured only you guys would be able to help me out with I don't wanna start replacing random things because no one can give me a straight answer
Check the very first sticky on the 5th gen forum page. Another option is to search for a related thread, try to find a similar problem, and post in that thread if you don't find your answer while searching.