5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5.5 Headlight Conversion - Anyone with DRL's done it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 02:12 PM

5.5 Headlight Conversion - Anyone with DRL's done it?

I will be installing 2003 headlights on a Canadian 2001.

I am getting the harnesses and clips tomorrow, I was extremely lucky to catch a 2002 the day it came in to the wreckers, everything is still on the front of the car. Only $20 for all the harnesses and clips.

So my concern is hook up with DRL system, I will figure it out one way or another, I'm sure. Just wondering if any of you have any good info/tips for me before I partake in it.

P.S.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/539334...-maxima/page-5

^^Is this actually the best we have on the 5.5 headlight conversion? That's just pathetic. Maybe I will do a DIY for it if the Mod's will sticky it.

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 02-22-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:57 PM

Oh and what's needed to remove the clips on the 5.5 headlights? I need those to mount correct? I'm going in the AM to get the stuff want to ensure I have any tools I need.

TIA
Old 02-22-2011, 04:33 PM

If you need any help with this project, let me know bro. It's actually a very easy project, even with the DRL. If you follow that hack job in the link posted above, you'll get into some electrical trouble for sure lol.

Where abouts in Ontario are you?

Last edited by TLMNICK; 02-22-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:16 PM

Kitchener/Waterloo area.

I'm good with electrical, I downloaded the 2003 FSM for the wiring codes, and I have the 2001 FSM for the wiring codes. So I just have to match them up. I was contemplating making a harness that is completely P&P with some cheap/used bulbs. We shall see. I wasn't sure if I'd like the 5.5 lights so I wanted to be able to just revert to my previous set up with little work/corrosion.

I would imagine there is little to no issue with DRL when it comes to this project, the DRL runs through the High beam anyways. I was just curious in case someone had any issues.

And that hack job is precisely the reason I was thinking of doing a DIY, but I won't bother unless the mods are going to put it in the FAQs/Mods Stickies.

You're in GTA?
Old 02-22-2011, 05:17 PM

P.S. still need confirmation on the lower clips, do I need any thing special to remove? Or are they actually clips (ie. screwdriver is fine for removal)
Old 02-22-2011, 05:22 PM

Tuner have you actually gotten your tails all red yet or is that just photoshopped for now
Old 02-22-2011, 05:37 PM

^Just PS'd, blue bat STILL hasn't gotten back to me, numerous emails and messages. Maybe I have the wrong contact info??? I'm trying to wait on his answer on shipping/install, it's worth the $15 if shipping is cheap, but I can't wait forever.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:14 PM

TLMNICK is out in Pickering Area
Old 02-22-2011, 06:25 PM

5.5 gen headlights with umnitza halos!
Old 02-22-2011, 06:54 PM

I can't imagine you not liking the 02-03 headlights better. Having stock HIDs would make me love them just from that. IMO, they look nicer either way once they're blacked out. I haven't seen too many retrofitted AE lights....that might look good too.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:31 PM
Toolie

doesn't Dave B have a plug and play harness? And I'm pretty sure there are write ups in this forum for the swap
Old 02-23-2011, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
doesn't Dave B have a plug and play harness? And I'm pretty sure there are write ups in this forum for the swap
Not P&P, I already called.

It would cost me $72 plus $10 for the holding company across the border, plus gas money to drive across the border to get it. Would be over $120 for 2 clips and 6 harnesses, and I'd still have to wire them in.

I'm goin to get the harnesses for $20 with clips .

The only write up that`s live is the messy one I posted. Unless someone has a link to a better one, I`ve hunted like crazy trying to find one, finally I gave up, would take less time to just figure it out myself lol.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:13 AM

because of you, i have more respect for canadians into cars...so many canadians that hit people up for 'price quotes' for stuff then back up when they see the price...you just go ahead and do what you have to do..much respect man.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:14 AM

hey, quick question... where are you ordering the stuff for your tails. i was doing to order lamin-x to make them all red, just wondering what route you were gunna go

thanks
Old 02-23-2011, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
because of you, i have more respect for canadians into cars...so many canadians that hit people up for 'price quotes' for stuff then back up when they see the price...you just go ahead and do what you have to do..much respect man.

come again? canadians what?
Old 02-23-2011, 05:38 AM

canadians/hawaiians/people who arent in the continental US ask for quotes/prices shipped on certain products they see for sale by private sellers and when they are hit with the price to their door step, they back off
Old 02-23-2011, 06:13 AM

canadians/hawaiians/people who arent in the continental US ask for quotes/prices shipped on certain products they see for sale by private sellers and when they are hit with the price to their door step, they back off
ahh kk, i see. its true though, once something gets shipped internationally the shipping rate increases exponentially.

luckily for me Ogdenburg, NY is 25 min from my house (doing 130-140km/h) so i ship my **** to the UPS store there and pick it up
Old 02-23-2011, 06:25 AM

As much as I don't really like this comment, I must admit that it has truth to it. BUT, to our defence, everything for these cars is just naturally SO much more expensive, which sucks. The ones who still believe in getting the job done right, or understand the concept of having to "pay to play" will still spend the extra money, and get the job done. I've purchased quite a few things from these boards myself, and I don't regret any of them.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by TLMNICK
As much as I don't really like this comment, I must admit that it has truth to it. BUT, to our defence, everything for these cars is just naturally SO much more expensive, which sucks. The ones who still believe in getting the job done right, or understand the concept of having to "pay to play" will still spend the extra money, and get the job done. I've purchased quite a few things from these boards myself, and I don't regret any of them.
yea i mean...i have no problem sending something out and if you're going to get it you'll get it..but i've done a couple of things before big and small..take time out of my busy schedule to get a ship quote because the person 'is going to get it' then when i say the price 'oh no thanks' but i remain a good seller and dont back lash...well until now

no offense to those that actually divey up to play, just to the flakers
Old 02-23-2011, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by TLMNICK

cheap, fast, reliable.

pick 2.
i have learned this from personal experience, trust me. im only 22 and my max is my 8th car... you get what you pay for a majority of the time when it comes to car parts. if you're not gunne do it right then dont do it at all
Old 02-23-2011, 07:11 AM

A LOT of people in general don't factor in the 'additional costs' that are incurred in ANY purchase to any location. The difference is, shipping rates to Canada are ridiculous. Especially with UPS or FedEX, they charge huge brokerage fees into Canada, but charge nothing into the US normally. It's ridiculous, favoritism for sure.

I always make sure a prospective seller FULLY understands shipping costs and knows that any sale is pending on those numbers, it's not just shipping, but brokerage and customs fees that can really kill us.

Anyways, thanks for the respect, I think most people just don't have the experience to understand those additional fees and how much weight they actually hold in an international purchase. And I know you didn't mean 'just Canadians' so I won't take offense to that.

SO, back OT, I got every harness, plus the harnesses to the ballasts, and all bulbs attatched to them, AND the OEM Phillips D2S bulbs.

You're not going to believe the price.

If I had the $$ to put up front I could've got the headlights for only $500 also. If anyone in Ontario wants headlights PM me it's about 45-1hr outside T.O., I'll give you their info, I doubt they'll last long. Also has good SE tailights and polished 6 spoke wheels (no center caps). And a 6spd tranny but I think it's got like 300km on it.

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 03-08-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by matt06
hey, quick question... where are you ordering the stuff for your tails. i was doing to order lamin-x to make them all red, just wondering what route you were gunna go

thanks
Should have PM'd me,,, but I am trying to get Blue Bat's overlays. he has about a day more to get back to me or I'm going to just buy them from Ebay or a local signs/graphics shop. I'll likely go with the second one if they have a good colour match, when I did it to my 240sx, they only charged me $5 for it.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I didnt know Umnitza made halos for the 5th Gen, they look nice, try and get those in with the 5.5 headlights.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:46 PM

Ok Wiring figured out I think. I have made a Word Doc with the designations, listed by TERMINAL numbers, to avoid any confusion that may occur between years (the 2003 FSM differed from the 2002 Harness, I don't know why they would change the colour code, but apparently they did).

I will post it once I have the oppourtunity to test and ensure it's correct. My headlights are supposed to be here Friday so I should have them in by the end of the weekend I'd imagine.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:06 PM

Sounds like you're well on your way man. Once you get your lights in, you'll see how simple it really is. Do you have the ballasts, and ignitors already? or are they coming with the headlights.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:42 PM

Ballasts coming with headlights. I should have got the ballasts off the car I got the harnesses from. I am going to end up with 3 extra D2S bulbs. Could've sold a kit and recouped some money

Here is a copy and paste of the word doc:
Disclaimer: This HAS NOT BEEN TESTED YET (A/O FEB 23rd 2011)

2000--------------Headlights-------------2003
Terminal 3 R--------------------------------Terminal 4 R
Terminal 3 R--------------------------------Terminal 1 R
Terminal 1 R--------------------------------Terminal 5 R
Terminal 3 L--------------------------------Terminal 4 L
Terminal 3 L--------------------------------Terminal 1 L
Terminal 2 L--------------------------------Terminal 2 L (ground supply low beam)
Terminal 2 R--------------------------------Terminal 2 R (ground supply Low Beam)
Terminal 1 L--------------------------------Terminal 5 L

-----------------Marker/Parking----------------
Terminal 1 (coloured)-----------------------Terminal 3 (red/yellow[coloured]) Positive
Terminal 2 (black)--------------------------Terminal 2 (black/yellow[black]) Ground
--------------------Signals--------------------
Terminal 3 L (g/b [coloured] +)--------------Terminal 1 L (g/b [coloured] +)
Terminal 2 L (black -) ----------------------Terminal 2 L (black -)
Terminal 3 R (g/y [coloured] +)--------------Terminal 1 R (g/y [coloured] +)
Terminal 2 R (black -) ----------------------Terminal 2 R (black -)

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 02-25-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:17 PM

nice project, I'm thinking about doing the same, just a bit more of hesitation left

if that wiring scheme works - it should be a sticky!
also wanted to ask - what are you planning to do with your old headlights, if I'm not mistaken they look like AE lights? I would be interested in buying them
Old 02-24-2011, 06:20 PM

5.5 headlights in my 5th gen...and I <3 it!!!
Old 02-24-2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by shaks
nice project, I'm thinking about doing the same, just a bit more of hesitation left

if that wiring scheme works - it should be a sticky!
also wanted to ask - what are you planning to do with your old headlights, if I'm not mistaken they look like AE lights? I would be interested in buying them
I will be contacting the MODs to sticky when I'm done. I'll post a new thread for the DIY/Wiring guide. I hope they agree. We need to get rid of that messy 'DIY' that is there now.

Not sure if I want to sell them yet. They are the OEM AE headlights, only 90,000km on them (56,000miles). If you PM me a price I like I'll consider it.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:46 AM

Ok, just to update this thread for future searches, and in case the DIY and Hook-Up Guide I'm making don't get stickied, I just wanted to clarify what I've found,

The Canadian DRL system operates differently than the US system (obviously), but the wiring hook up for the purposes of this swap do NOT differ. You hook them up the same (terminal hook-up guide). I have also redone the entire word document, with pictures of terminal designations and wiring diagrams, plus further clarifications (pretty dummy-proof). You should see that sometime around the end of the weekend, I'll link it from this thread but the Hookup Guide and DIY will be a new thread.

-Matt
Old 02-25-2011, 11:11 AM

Ugh, the fitment sucks!

Is this actually how everyone is rolling around? With overhang in the corner, and sticking out by the grill and hood? And The 5.5 hood must be different, or the headlight mounting location is in farther.... hmmm. mount it in farther, I could do that maybe, be a lot of messing around though.

I like the aesthetic appeal of the 5th gen lights better. They flow better.
However, the 5.5 lights just look sexy and HID's FTW. Plus will be getting Angel Eyes eventually if I keep them. Is this good enough to sway me away from the fitment issues? I don't know.

I received the headlights with one cracked lens, so we will see how that gets dealt with before I go any farther or try to wire them in.

I did test my Hook-Up guide above, it seems to be correct, didn't test DRLs though. I will verify 100% a bit later.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:48 PM

100% VERIFIED - My HOOK UP GUIDE is CORRECT.

All lights working as they should. Really easy if you follow the guide.

Link to Thread for Hook Up Guide, How-To/DIY > http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...guide-diy.html

-Matt
Old 02-25-2011, 04:17 PM

Your problem is the bumper. if you had to 02-03 bumper there wouldn't be any overhang or gaps.
I know you did alot of work to get the grill to fit nice but the lights are a different story, a new bumper cover will solve your fitment issues..
Old 02-25-2011, 04:28 PM

^ yeah I know it will. That will not be happeneing though, that would ruin my entire plan.

I have an idea in the works to make them sit better though, don't worry

I just can't do anything until I hear back from the seller about the crack.