5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Car wont start ...

Old 02-21-2011, 02:33 PM

Car wont start ...

I got a 01 Maxima and last week it decided not to start . I check all the sensors (crank , cam etc ) One thing i notice is when i take the plugs out they are soaked with fuel .It will crank but wont turn over the starter is new . If i wait couple days it would start up one time after that no more . It seems like there is too much fuel going to the motor . I even change the fuel pressure regulator . Did anyone had this problem or know whats going on . Thanks
Old 02-21-2011, 05:56 PM

Any SES codes? When was the last service done on changing the spark plugs?
Old 02-22-2011, 03:51 PM

No Codes and the plugs was changed about a year ago . I smell alot of fuel when i try to start
Old 02-22-2011, 06:50 PM

Well I keep thinking of possible reasons, 1. the spark plugs are bad or perhaps need to be re-gaped (possible carbon build up) or simple replace them 2. Sticky fuel injector/or multiple sticky injector do to a build up of gum or carbon.

So you can inspect the plugs again, as you said they are a year old, you could also run Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner in your gas tank to see if it will help free up your injectors ... or even run a bottle of seafoam in your gas tank.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:54 PM

any security light ?
Old 02-22-2011, 07:04 PM

Mine did this last night actually. All i did was the ecu reset procedure and it fired right up! followed the reset procedure here: http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...tting-ecu.html

Cant hurt anything to try that. Its the procedure listed in the first post
Old 02-23-2011, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Ghost_54
Well I keep thinking of possible reasons, 1. the spark plugs are bad or perhaps need to be re-gaped (possible carbon build up) or simple replace them 2. Sticky fuel injector/or multiple sticky injector do to a build up of gum or carbon.

So you can inspect the plugs again, as you said they are a year old, you could also run Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner in your gas tank to see if it will help free up your injectors ... or even run a bottle of seafoam in your gas tank.
You know you can't gap plat. or ird. plugs right?
Old 02-23-2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by J-Rod
You know you can't gap plat. or ird. plugs right?
You can gap both; plats are easy, iridiums are pretty brittle and will chip if you don't treat them nice. But both should be pre-gapped when you buy them.

Regarding the OP, if car is not starting it would be normal for 'extra' fuel to be in the combustion chamber. I think the issue is the ECU or a crank sensor. You said you checked the sensors; how can you tell if one is good or bad?
Old 02-23-2011, 12:06 PM

My wording was probably incorrect you "shouldn't" gap...
Old 02-23-2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by J-Rod
My wording was probably incorrect you "shouldn't" gap...
Your probably correct about not wanting to re-gap the plugs, I had only made that suggestion from what I had read on the OP, not being able to start the car and find heavy amounts of gas in the plug area. One of the suggestions in that article for the gas being there was that the plugs could be "old" and the other was they may not be gaped correctly. The other area raised in the article was possible plugged fuel injectors, as the reason for the lack of ignition. So hopefully the OP at least has a couple of option to at least investigate.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:26 PM
dot dot dot ...

I've never pre-gapped any of my plugs for my 4th or 5th gen

Maybe an o-ring leak .. little strange for all or more than one to leak at the same time .
Old 02-23-2011, 01:47 PM

I actually change all my sensors to be on the safe side . And still no luck . and i also replace the plugs too . I'm lost . im gonna try reprogramming the ecu and see if thats goona help . And also no security light
Old 03-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

similar problem other then the injectors spraying any fuel. your sounds moor like a spark issue mines seems moor like fuel issue. Either way same symptoms. me and my brother replaced the cps and both css sensors. still no luck. The check engine light isnt on either. We have no way of knowing if there is any codes in the ecu right now with out having it told somewhere. I posted this in the newby section. I hope you get yours figured out.

Im no mechanical but have a lil experience with cars. My brother has a 5.5 gen maxima. He started the car after sitting all day. Drove it about six blocks and it cut off on him. It hasnt started since except with starter fluid. We hear the pump. I took off the fuel pressure regulator to see if it was getting fuel at the rail, which it is. I know its getting spark because it will start with starter fluid. It has had the recall done on it. We replaced both css and the cps sensors. Still wont start. Next we will take off the maf sensor and clean it. Since it is getting fuel at the rail as will as it will start with starter fluid which is means its getting spark. The only thing I can think of is the ecu isnt allowing the injectors to spray for what ever reason(sensor ect.). any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and thanks for having this great forum.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by ahilto3
Mine did this last night actually. All i did was the ecu reset procedure and it fired right up! followed the reset procedure here: http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...tting-ecu.html

Cant hurt anything to try that. Its the procedure listed in the first post
His car is a 2001, he clearly stated that, can't just 'reset' ECU.
And Unless your car has had the battery unplugged a lot for a long time, it can take up to 48 hours of having the battery disconnected to clear the ECU.

It's not a bad idea if you can spare a day or two.

Originally Posted by vinh512
I actually change all my sensors to be on the safe side . And still no luck . and i also replace the plugs too . I'm lost . im gonna try reprogramming the ecu and see if thats goona help . And also no security light
Sensors throw codes 90% of the time or more. I'm sorry to hear you wasted your time and money changing them.

Now, to address your OP, I have some questions:

1. Does the car bog/chug or try to start at ALL? Or does it JUST crank and nothing else happens?
(if it's ONLY cranking, it's not likely plugs or fuel delivery)

2. Have you tried adding a ground to the starter? http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...verything.html

A bad IAT can cause this symptom IIRC also. But I'm leaning toward poor starter ground.