5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

PROBLEMS ON AND OFF

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 07:28 AM

PROBLEMS ON AND OFF

EDIT: 2002 MAXIMA SE 6MT

I know there are going to be post on here to SEARCH... Which i have and can NOTfind any of these codes together. I recently changed the MAF due to mishandling when installing the pop charger. I also changed the spark plugs right after. well I was taking the girlfreind home last night around 10 O clock, Car ran fine all day. No problems at all. Then about 3 miles from her house, It was about half throttle acceleration and it felt like a misfire on steriods. It jerked the whole car hard and the CEL light came on immediately. I threw it in nutrual and coasted for a bit, tried it again and the same thing. I parked and checked all vacuums and connections and everything is connected. I tried it again and as long as i kept the RPMs down and barely on the throttle it ran okayish.... (major lack of power) When in her nieghborhood i attempted to throttle on it at low rpms and it barely did anything. No power at all.
I got to autozone this morning with it (which it ran perfectly fine this morning) and ran the codes. I got the following:

P0102 Mass air flow sensor curcuit low input

P1102 Mass air flow sensor performance

And the one that is worrying me

P0021 IVT Control (bank 2)
The code reader from auto zone said timing advanced. (the car is stock other than popcharger)

Should I start by returning the 2 week old MAF? or where??

Any help is going to be appreciated. I need the car fixed asap as week after next im taking a 700 mile trip. Thanks to all.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:47 AM

I would start by checking for air leaks and proper orientation of the maf sensor in the tube. Make sure all clamps were tightened well before and after the maf and the rubber gasket is in place.

As far as the timing advance. Most likely you are low on oil. Good place to start. Have u check after the code poped? Report back so we can help or let us know if u fixed it as well. I hateeeee threads that people dont come back to say if the issue was resolved.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:57 AM
dot dot dot ...

MAF problem. I bet when it ran fine, it was below 2200 or so RPM.

Mine was like that, intermittent. Tossed a used MAF, haven't had a problem since.

Buy a used or new MAF & clean the old one until the new one comes in.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:42 AM

@ NismoAce: Yes, below 2200 RPMs was perfectly fine. unless i gassed on it. Although i drove it around a while today just to test it out and see if i could notice anything else out of the ordinary... The car ran perfect. It is a little wet here in knoxville and in 2nd and 3rd gear at power band it was spinnin the tires with no misfire or jerking or anything.... I cleared the codes and im waiting to see if they come back. It just makes me extremely nervouse about taking it on the trip. :/

@NMexmax: The mass air flow is about a month old. (not 2 weeks like it said in the post) but it came with a 2 year warenty. I am going to see if the problem persits. If so i will start out with exchanging that for a new.

Also, I checked oil right ofter it happened. With motor off and the oil level seemed fine. (I was extremely angry at this point and it was dark. I will check again after work.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:53 AM

Make sure you check the oil level after the car has been sitting for a while. It really doesnt read right at lease on my car till at the least half hour after sitting.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:53 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

P0021 can be caused by low oil level or grit/sludge in the engine clogging the passages and it (along with P0340/0345 codes) cause a major power loss until you turn off the car and restart it. Puts the car in some sort of limp home mode.

You can remove the solenoid and blow it out with compressed air.

I'd swap out the MAF since it is under warranty.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
P0021 can be caused by low oil level or grit/sludge in the engine clogging the passages and it (along with P0340/0345 codes) cause a major power loss until you turn off the car and restart it. Puts the car in some sort of limp home mode.

You can remove the solenoid and blow it out with compressed air.

I'd swap out the MAF since it is under warranty.
I have a can of seafoam that was intended to use on the last car... Should i consider that for the 02?
Old 02-24-2011, 03:11 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by maxima 21
I have a can of seafoam that was intended to use on the last car... Should i consider that for the 02?
Put a new filter on, pour the seafoam into the valve cover where you add oil, start the car, let it IDLE ONLY for about 5 minutes, drain oil and remove filter. Refill with fresh oil and a new filter. That should clean out any sludge in the engine.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Put a new filter on, pour the seafoam into the valve cover where you add oil, start the car, let it IDLE ONLY for about 5 minutes, drain oil and remove filter. Refill with fresh oil and a new filter. That should clean out any sludge in the engine.
I did this today and also found that the oil level was low.... Although, Once i reset the codes... The P0021 bever came back. I ran the seafoam for 5-7 min and changed it back out. The mass air flow is still SHOT. Still cant really get it above 2K RPMs. and no power at all.

Im going to post a new thread about this but does anyone know if the 350Z mass air flow will work on the 02 maxima? A freind has a junk yad with a 350z. If it will work than i can pick it up cheap. So if anyone has tried it i need to know soon!!!
Old 02-27-2011, 04:50 PM

If the oil has gotten low the next code will be p0300 multi misfire as the sludge in the pan gets cycled up into the engine and plugs up IVT solenoid

But by all means try to return the MAF should you think its faulty
Old 03-10-2011, 02:22 PM

I know you guys wanted to see the resolution to my issue so here it is. I got a new mass air flow in and its fixed everything. From the research that I have done and spoke to several people, Im wondering if the oil from the JWT pop charger isnt whats killing the MASS AIR's... I dont know to be honest but we will see if this one fries. (if it does im going to stock airbox and try it from there)