5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Super short SRI... Rethink it!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 06:58 PM
dot dot dot ...

MAF length wouldn't matter. Maybe overall intake length. Its all in the ID as far as AFR goes. Either way AFR should always be monitored if altering the MAF size.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:00 AM

I was under the impression that MAFS were tuned to ID and length. more specifically, to the tube piece in which they're mounted. this being the primary reason OEM's use a MAF housing at all, otherwise why not install it directly in the intake pipe and tune for each vehicle? that would be cheaper (if they actually tuned each intake). But my impression is that they don't tune each intake, they only tune for the MAFS housing, and the ECU is different for each car.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:05 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
I was under the impression that MAFS were tuned to ID and length. more specifically, to the tube piece in which they're mounted. this being the primary reason OEM's use a MAF housing at all, otherwise why not install it directly in the intake pipe and tune for each vehicle? that would be cheaper (if they actually tuned each intake). But my impression is that they don't tune each intake, they only tune for the MAFS housing, and the ECU is different for each car.
No, they're not tuned for length, only ID.

Hotwire "technology". x.xx V to keep said HW @ certain temp, more airflow = more V, less = less V, in turn, larger diameter = less V, vice versa, less V = lowered IPW, possibly dangerously lean condition as a result if airflow is too 'slow' to cool HW, MAF sends lowered V signal to ECU, resulting in said lean condition.

So, either direct IPW control or, more generic MAF V control is needed to compensate. Or MAF scaling option, such as SAFCII/UTEC/EMU/EMB, etc.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 01-11-2012 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX

Hotwire "technology". x.xx V to keep said HW @ certain temp, more airflow = more V, less = less V, in turn, larger diameter = less V, vice versa, less V = lowered IPW, possibly dangerously lean condition as a result if airflow is too 'slow' to cool HW, MAF sends lowered V signal to ECU, resulting in said lean condition.

So, either direct IPW control or, more generic MAF V control is needed to compensate. Or MAF scaling option, such as SAFCII/UTEC/EMU/EMB, etc.
^^ "anemometer" is the word you are looking for, as in "hot-wire anemometer." Not looking to be a know-it-all, just share knowledge with the community.

Brief/general info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anemome...re_anemometers
Old 01-11-2012, 08:35 AM

tapered intake flow

I cant find the post anymore to quote but in this thread, or maybe another, sparks said to another user that they can probably use a 3" midpipe from the TB to the MAF housing then 3.5" OD piping from the MAF housing to the filter and they might see several extra HP. If I tried this on my 2001 max do you guys think it would be would indeed provide extra HP or potentially mess up my MAF?
Old 01-11-2012, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX

Originally Posted by tcb_02_max
^^ "anemometer" is the word you are looking for, as in "hot-wire anemometer." Not looking to be a know-it-all, just share knowledge with the community.

Brief/general info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anemome...re_anemometers
Thanks for sharing the knowledge I learnt quite a bit today!

Originally Posted by maximaplayboy
I cant find the post anymore to quote but in this thread, or maybe another, sparks said to another user that they can probably use a 3" midpipe from the TB to the MAF housing then 3.5" OD piping from the MAF housing to the filter and they might see several extra HP. If I tried this on my 2001 max do you guys think it would be would indeed provide extra HP or potentially mess up my MAF?
The idea is a simple venturi effect. The only way to find out it to dyno before and after, and without supporting mods you won't see any difference.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Thanks for sharing the knowledge I learnt quite a bit today!

The idea is a simple venturi effect. The only way to find out it to dyno before and after, and without supporting mods you won't see any difference.
gotcha. thanks!
Old 07-12-2012, 06:39 PM

Sorry to bump an old thread, but DAMN. These types of conversations make me miss owning my Maxima even though I just lurked the forum. So much more ingenuity and creativity on this board. The G forum is dull and less fun to read in comparison haha. Props to the OP and everyone else that contributed useful info to this.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:16 AM

It is always busy here, compared to the other forums I belong to.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by kkemmerich
Sorry to bump an old thread, but DAMN. These types of conversations make me miss owning my Maxima even though I just lurked the forum. So much more ingenuity and creativity on this board. The G forum is dull and less fun to read in comparison haha. Props to the OP and everyone else that contributed useful info to this.
check out the 2nd gen rwd vg30det maxima build and the '07vi' and the 5.7 gen max builds... maxima.org is always full of noob unsearched questions and awesome builds, 2 opposing spectrums lol
Old 07-13-2012, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by sparks03max

So long story short... Check out this link for a good formula and get some pipe for your intake... gain some power!
http://www.ftlracing.com/tech/engine/intake.html
this link doesn't work anymore i have a place racing intake i plan to install and want to know where it resonates best vs my shorty
Old 08-18-2012, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by carsnwomen91
this link doesn't work anymore i have a place racing intake i plan to install and want to know where it resonates best vs my shorty
Not worry, but BUMP! Easy to remove after .com like from http://www.ftlracing.com/tech/engine/intake.html to http://www.ftlracing.com then click "Performance Theory" then click "Intake". That's it.

Or New website address was change: http://www.ftlracing.com/intake.htm

Good Luck with it!