5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Phantom coolant loss/smell

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 09:16 AM

Phantom coolant loss/smell

Last couple of days I have been noticing a coolant smell coming from my car. This morning after determining it is definitely coming from my car I spent about 20 minutes under the hood to try and figure out where it is. Best I can tell by the smell is it's around the throttle body area but there is no visible wetness or tell-tale spray. I know it's not the throttle body itself because that line has been bypassed (NWP Spacer kit).

I know it's a shot in the dark but I was just wondering if anyone can advise where to look further for whatever this leak is like a hidden coolant tube, a hidden sensor anything.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:32 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

You'd be surprise where a small leak can spray. When my 4th gen radiator developed a hairline crack, it sprayed a tiny stream close to my intake after the MAF. It was only while revving the engine that I found the leak actually in the radiator. Have someone hold the engine at higher revs while you try to search for it. Make sure to completely fill the coolant system before searching. GL!
Old 01-27-2011, 08:15 PM

Found it. It's the rear water outlet tube. The coolant was evaporating so fast due to the hot engine I couldn't locate it until the engine cooled enough for it to pool up.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:55 PM

Is it your radiator? I just replaced mine for the same reason. I got a KOYO rad , Gates hoses, rad cap, and t-stat assemby for $175 delivered. Checkout DriveWire.com and AutoParts123.com

Last edited by RLW001; 01-28-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:28 PM

Man I hope mine is something easy... I just bought the car and of course after driving it an hour home it started to smell of coolant slightly. I dont see any leaks though.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:43 AM

I had the coolant smell with my Max. Took awhile before the leak got big enough that I could see it collecting at the top of the radiator. Within a day the radiator sprang a huge leak and was spewing coolant everywhere. It's hard to find a small leak because the coolant evaporates before you can find it. A radiator shop can do a pressure test and that should show the leak if you don't want to wait.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Froggmann
Found it. It's the rear water outlet tube. The coolant was evaporating so fast due to the hot engine I couldn't locate it until the engine cooled enough for it to pool up.
I have 2002 3.5 v6. I had a coolant leak from coolant outlet pipe where is attaches to right hand head. It took a bit of searching to determine if it was outlet pipe or freeze plug just adjacent. I determined I would need to loosen many connections to replace the gasket between the pipe and the head. As an aside I also have an old suzuki dirt bike that used Bar's Leak as every coolant top off. I did some research and tried it in the Max. I used Bar's Leak PLT11 http://www.barsproducts.com/PLT11.htm This is the product that has been around for 40 plus years. It worked perfectly. Lead stopped in about 10 minutes. I had to take off upper radiator hose at radiator to pour in Bar's Leak into hose. Been running for a week now. No coolant smell or leak on ground/engine or loss of level in coolant recovery tank. Heater works fine.

I had read lots of positive and negative posts on Bar's Leaks but many were not specific enough on product used or conditions before leak to determine if poster's experience applied to my situation.

So, just one experience. If anyone wants more details let me know via forum.

Red (2002 maxima se, 3.5)

Last edited by redrock5432; 08-12-2011 at 07:00 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by redrock5432
I have 2002 3.5 v6. I had a coolant leak from coolant outlet pipe where is attaches to right hand head. It took a bit of searching to determine if it was outlet pipe or freeze plug just adjacent. I determined I would need to loosen many connections to replace the gasket between the pipe and the head. As an aside I also have an old suzuki dirt bike that used Bar's Leak as every coolant top off. I did some research and tried it in the Max. I used Bar's Leak PLT11 http://www.barsproducts.com/PLT11.htm This is the product that has been around for 40 plus years. It worked perfectly. Lead stopped in about 10 minutes. I had to take off upper radiator hose at radiator to pour in Bar's Leak into hose. Been running for a week now. No coolant smell or leak on ground/engine or loss of level in coolant recovery tank. Heater works fine.

I had read lots of positive and negative posts on Bar's Leaks but many were not specific enough on product used or conditions before leak to determine if poster's experience applied to my situation.

So, just one experience. If anyone wants more details let me know via forum.

Red (2002 maxima se, 3.5)

update 8/12/11 --- still no leaks. coolant in recovery bottle is dark brown color but otherwise no problems. At coolant flush, I drain using valve at bottom of radiator. This removes about 1/2 coolant. replace with new. Not a complete flush but updates chemicals. I do not plan on adding more Bars Leak but there will still be some in system.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:33 PM

I still wouldn't use it unless you have to. I've seen that stuff clog radiators, thermostats and heater cores. Doing the coolant tube gaskets really wasn't that hard of a job just a little involved. Not including coolant the gaskets and o-ring were less than $10.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

im on the same boat here!, i have a 96 max with the same problem, leaking from the front water outlet, is not too much of a leak, but just wanna to get rid of it!.
im still deciding on whether or not too loose all those connections or, give a try on what redrock5432 used. it seems a lot easier to pour that thing on the radiator! it did seems to work for him after all ,right?
Old 08-13-2011, 02:02 PM

barloc123,
There are several products available for 'stop leak'. I am not an expert. The only product I knew about was from my dirt bike days, 1983 Suzuki RM250, where the manual recommends this particular product. I used the whole bottle which may not have been necessary but the car was going on a trip and I wanted to be sure about having enough in the system. Of course, I am only one person's experience. Here is link to the product I used http://www.barsproducts.com/PLT11.htm
Red.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:02 AM

90% of our cars have it under the intake pipe, where the upper rad hose connects to the radiator. that spot has a big stress point and most develop a hairline crack where the radiator is stamped with some letters. the coolant starts to slowly pool around the top radiator tank (where you see little fingers bent and holding the radiator to the upper black portion.)
Old 08-16-2011, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by redrock5432
barloc123,
There are several products available for 'stop leak'. I am not an expert. The only product I knew about was from my dirt bike days, 1983 Suzuki RM250, where the manual recommends this particular product. I used the whole bottle which may not have been necessary but the car was going on a trip and I wanted to be sure about having enough in the system. Of course, I am only one person's experience. Here is link to the product I used http://www.barsproducts.com/PLT11.htm
Red.
DO NOT USE RADIATOR STOP LEAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IT CAUSES THE SYSTEM TO AND WATER PUMP TO GUNK UP AND THEN YOU HAVE HUGE PROBLEMS TO FIX.
DONT BE CHEAP, AND FIX YOUR RADIATOR, OR LEAVE IT ALONE (only adding water as needed) UNTIL IT TOTALLY GOES TO JUNK(and then you gotta tow home)
Old 08-16-2011, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by barloc123
im on the same boat here!, i have a 96 max with the same problem, leaking from the front water outlet, is not too much of a leak, but just wanna to get rid of it!.
im still deciding on whether or not too loose all those connections or, give a try on what redrock5432 used. it seems a lot easier to pour that thing on the radiator! it did seems to work for him after all ,right?
barloc123,
what is status of your coolant leak? how did you fix it?
Red.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well guys! i decide it to go ahead and give it a try!, bought this stuff at o reilly ,although i only use half the bottle.while i was there i decide to change the oil and the atf fluid, (i was due anyways) did mobil 1 high mileage 10w40 for the engine and castrol import for the tranny. So far no leak whatsoever, its been 60 miles since then.
Now im wondering if i should flush the coolant? and then refill with some fresh coolant ive got left(i use zerex asian)
Old 08-23-2011, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by barloc123
Well guys! i decide it to go ahead and give it a try!, bought this stuff at o reilly ,although i only use half the bottle.while i was there i decide to change the oil and the atf fluid, (i was due anyways) did mobil 1 high mileage 10w40 for the engine and castrol import for the tranny. So far no leak whatsoever, its been 60 miles since then.
Now im wondering if i should flush the coolant? and then refill with some fresh coolant ive got left(i use zerex asian)
I thought about flushing also to remove the bars leak but I have not done it to date. I read where there is actually an advantage in leaving it in. It is supposed to clean any scale deposits off coolant surfaces to enable better hear transfer. Here is a link to a FAQ, (biased probably) http://www.barsleaks.net/faq.html Look for 'scale' on page, near bottom.
Red