5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Clunking Noise in Undercarriage

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 01:29 PM

Clunking Noise in Undercarriage

Hey everyone,

My car has been quite rattly for sometime now. I've come to accept that it will most likely just be a rattly car. I think the main rattle I hear has to do something with the pre-cats.

However, I've just recently begun to hear some strange clunking noises under my car. It kind of sounds like pots and pans being smashed together. It seems to come from the middle area or rear. It pretty much happens when I hit bumps. I took a turn however, earlier today, hit a small small bump, and that clunking noise was really loud, I thought something fell out from underneath my car. Starting to worry me.

So the first thing I tried was tightening the spare wheel in the rear so that it wasn't bouncing around. To my surprise, it was looser than I thought, so I tightened it up and went out for another spin. It seemed to be okay for a bit and that when I made that turn and hit a small bump and I thought something was going to fall out from under me.

Anybody else have this problem before? Sounds like metal pans crashing into one another. I took a look under my car and nothing seems out of place. There was nothing hanging out or sticking out anywhere.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!
Old 03-27-2012, 01:30 PM

P.S.- It is a 2002 Maxima 6MT.

Lowered.
CAI.
Exhaust.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:14 PM

Next time you go under the car try shaking the exhaust side to side and up and down. Do it with a fair amount of force and see if there are any noises. I had this same problem until yesterday. I added a couple universal hangers to my aftermarket catback.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by 2damax
Next time you go under the car try shaking the exhaust side to side and up and down. Do it with a fair amount of force and see if there are any noises. I had this same problem until yesterday. I added a couple universal hangers to my aftermarket catback.
I'll give it a try tomorrow and see how it goes! Thanks!
Old 03-27-2012, 05:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had a heavy noise for quite some time. Replaced struts, monkeyed under the hood, etc. Turned out the electronic motor mounts gave up the ghost. Above 1500 rpm the computer sends electricity to the special fluid in the mounts that firms 'em up. When they quit, I had a drive train flopping around the engine bay. Wasted another mount and most likely the fourth, but I haven't gotten to that yet. I went with solid mounts due to cost, but definitely notice the vibration when stopped, especially when it's cold. The flopping also stressed the exhaust and tore away a bracket causing contact with the undercarriage. The exhaust was in long enough anyway.

good luck