5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Pretty sure my car is totaled

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I hope I didn't miss a post about this, but did you get the settlement package from Farmers already? You have to sign your life away and overnight it back to them (they supply the envelop) with the car title and keys. Then they send you a check and pick up the car.

No. They can pick up the car without title or anything else. You just have to give them permission to come pick it up.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Zero chance I'm getting something with a CVT. Actually less than a zero chance.

Probably another 5.5 gen. I really don't want to have to make payments again and for what I will likely get for my car, I can get into another 5.5 gen with less miles than mine had on it and nothing out of pocket. We've had some pretty bad weather on and off the last 3 weeks so I haven't been working that much-winter is not the time for me to go into debt. If this happened in the summer it would have been a lot easier.

Dennis-the lawyer is only involved on the injury side of the claim. No chance I'm letting a lawyer get 1/3rd the value of my car.

If Farmers tries to lowball me on the value of my car, I'll take Nationwide's offer and Farmers will have to pay them back that amount and pay me my deductible.
I'm with Allstate and I must say them went beyond the call of duty when my wife and child was hit in our 5.5 by some ppl high on drugs/under the influence of a controlled substance of some sort.....But I did really well in the fact that the idiots brushed/clipped the front end and sent her over a curb at 50-55 mph! Still them were ok, but I blame my wife somewhat for stopping for those idiots who were behind her and swerving back and forth so she stops, and panics instead of just hauling ***.....Don't let them low ball you....are you gonna part it out?
Old 02-01-2011, 10:19 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by CMax03
I'm with Allstate and I must say them went beyond the call of duty when my wife and child was hit in our 5.5 by some ppl high on drugs/under the influence of a controlled substance of some sort.....But I did really well in the fact that the idiots brushed/clipped the front end and sent her over a curb at 50-55 mph! Still them were ok, but I blame my wife somewhat for stopping for those idiots who were behind her and swerving back and forth so she stops, and panics instead of just hauling ***.....Don't let them low ball you....are you gonna part it out?
I'd have to buy it back to part it out and I really don't have a place to put it. No idea if there is any engine damage since the whole strut tower is now against the timing cover.

Dennis-they take the car to the storage yard they keep cars at, but they don't get the title until I get a check. I don't get how they looked at the car on Thursday and still haven't made an offer on it though.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:42 AM

You don't get to part out a totaled car unless you want to accept a check for a lot less than the original offer. When my Altima was totaled, they told me I could keep the car, but the check would be for $1600 less than what we had agreed on...
Old 02-03-2011, 05:20 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Farmer's tried to lowball me, so I am taking Nationwide's (my insurance company) offer that is $700 or so more. Even less my deductible (which Farmers will have to pay to me), I get more than Farmer's was going to pay. The adjuster I talked to mentioned one of the cars I had looked at when she said how they determine value. I told her I had looked at the car and it had a decent sized dent in the passenger front door, the interior was filthy and it had 3 different brands of tires on it. Mine was in excellent shape, no dents prior to the accident, good tires (all the same brand) and the interior was mint. She agreed all that was true they they weren't budging on the offer...but it was just reported they are dropping $700 million for naming rights for a football stadium in LA that hasn't been build and doesn't yet have a team. Pretty obvious where their priorities are and what they spend their money on.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:39 PM

I know after I had my accident just before Christmas, I expected my insurance company would write my car off. They were great to deal with, so I am really sorry to read that you are dealing with the low baler approach ... my estimates came back at $5,200 and they repaired mine.

http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/l...view=slideshow
Old 02-04-2011, 10:33 PM

man that sucks
Old 02-05-2011, 07:31 AM

Years ago when my mint Taurus SHO was totalled my insurance man advised me to get an independent appraisal done on my car. Without the the appraisal they would just use average values not considering the condition of your car.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:07 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by RLW001
Years ago when my mint Taurus SHO was totalled my insurance man advised me to get an independent appraisal done on my car. Without the the appraisal they would just use average values not considering the condition of your car.
My insurance did take into the condition of the car, the other's guys insurance did not. That's why there is such a difference I guess.

Ghost_54-you must have pretty low mileage on your car for them to fix it with $5200 in damage. In my case, with at least $18,000 in damage, I don't think they would have fixed the car if it was totaled with 1 miles on it.

I hope to have my money by the middle of next week and into another (most likely) 5.5 gen by the end of the week.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:39 AM

I was going to point out Canadian exchange rates... but then I looked them up, and as of today they're spot-on equal to 1/10th of a penny.

I'm surprised Ghost's car wasn't totaled, too. But on the upside, he now has the clearest, cleanest 5.5 gen headlights around!
Old 02-05-2011, 08:41 AM

I'm glad you and your son survived this crazy accident. I remember checking out a few days ago the thread that you posted about a minor accident repair on autopia.

I hope everything works out well and I wish you and your son a speedy recovery.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:13 AM

My insurance did take into the condition of the car, the other's guys insurance did not. That's why there is such a difference I guess.

Ghost_54-you must have pretty low mileage on your car for them to fix it with $5200 in damage. In my case, with at least $18,000 in damage, I don't think they would have fixed the car if it was totaled with 1 miles on it.

I hope to have my money by the middle of next week and into another (most likely) 5.5 gen by the end of the week.
Wow 18k in damage, as for my mileage 215,000km on the clock which was why I was so surprised but the car sure shows well and has been maintained. For what it is worth I hope they up'd the cash anti a bit more given how well you have taken care of your car and the 5.5 gen you sound like you already have lined up is equally well maintained.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:56 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Nationwide (my insurance) is giving me a reasonably fair price for the car considering the miles.

Went out today to start the car for old time's sake (they will probably pick it up on Monday) and noticed the dash was cracked, the whole center stack was pushed over about 1/2" and the brake pedal somehow bent to the right (towards the impact) making it a tight fit between the brake pedal and the console. Glove box won't close and the blower motor ceased up when I turned it on. Floor under the passenger side front mat is buckled too. Just unreal how much damage done to the rest of the car from a front end impact.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:00 PM
Bad *** Newb

Nationwide (my insurance) is giving me a reasonably fair price for the car considering the miles.

Went out today to start the car for old time's sake (they will probably pick it up on Monday) and noticed the dash was cracked, the whole center stack was pushed over about 1/2" and the brake pedal somehow bent to the right (towards the impact) making it a tight fit between the brake pedal and the console. Glove box won't close and the blower motor ceased up when I turned it on. Floor under the passenger side front mat is buckled too. Just unreal how much damage done to the rest of the car from a front end impact.
I told you the blower motor would get bad!

Good thing the car did crumple, though. It sounds like there was a lot of energy absorbed that you didn't directly see. Your necks could really be messed up if the car was solid as a rock.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:15 PM

It was most and likely designed that way for all different parts to absorb the energy of the crash instead of you and your son absorbing it, glad to hear you guys are ok
Old 02-05-2011, 04:40 PM

Wow....Scott....Really am glad you guys are okay.....too bad the car is toast.....that is a total loss....the wheel is bent inward......I really hate stupid people that make the really dumb decision of drinking and then gambling with other peoples lives.....I am glad that B%#^H got what he deserved....
Old 02-05-2011, 08:15 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by 2 GO B4
Wow....Scott....Really am glad you guys are okay.....too bad the car is toast.....that is a total loss....the wheel is bent inward......I really hate stupid people that make the really dumb decision of drinking and then gambling with other peoples lives.....I am glad that B%#^H got what he deserved....
He was charged with DWI-felony repetition, so that means it is at least his 3rd. 1st and 2nd offenses are still misdemeanors.

He is looking at 2 to 10 years in jail and more:

DWI, Third Offense (or greater): Third degree FELONY
Fine - A fine not to exceed $10,000.00.
Jail - Confinement in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, Institutional Division (Penitentiary) for a term of not less than 2 years nor more than ten (10) years.
Deep lung air device - Deep lung air devices are generally ordered on all persons convicted of three or more DWI's both as conditions of bond and as conditions of any occupational or provisional licenses that may be awarded after conviction.
Community Service - Texas law mandates that a judge order not less than 160 hours nor more than 600 hours.
Suspension of license - A person convicted of DWI, Second may have their driving privilege suspended for not less than 180 days or more than two (2) years.
Other - A third conviction for DWI indicates a significant problem with alcohol to the Court or jury assessing punishment. Some type of rehabilitative treatment is therefore mandated in punishment if confinement in the penitentiary is to be avoided. In some cases an in-patient, incarceration program (Substance Abuse Felony Probation SAFP) is ordered. This program requires confinement in a State Facility for alcohol rehabilitation. After successful completion of the SAFP program, the person is then released and placed on probation for a term not to exceed ten (10) years. Another popular condition for habitual DWI offenders is a prescription for a drug named "Antabuse". This drug will make a person violently ill if any alcohol is consumed. The alcohol can be contained in mouthwash or marinated food and will still have the same effect on the user. If a person has any type of liver problems, this drug can cause liver failure and death.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:16 PM

so what did they end up giving you, or are you not going to give out that info?
Old 02-05-2011, 08:40 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35
so what did they end up giving you, or are you not going to give out that info?
About $5200 plus tax, title and license. Ends up around $5700. Farmer's offered me $5028 including tax, title and license.

Not much I can do when the car has minor hail damage (had it when I bought it) and 194,595 miles on it. The mileage is the real killer. On the other hand, I put 81,000 miles on the car and only lost $2800 or so in depreciation.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:56 PM

thats not bad, did you find another 5.5 yet?
Old 02-09-2011, 10:28 PM

I haven't been on the org much lately but I'm glad you both walked away unharmed. We all take it for granted how well our cars protect us. I took a serious front end collision in my mustang in 06. I walked away unharmed except a scratch on my leg from the shifter but the car was annihilated. It was really scary to look at, I have no idea how I walked away unharmed.

On a lighter note I'm about to sell my car... if only I lived in texas...
Old 02-09-2011, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by crystalline
I haven't been on the org much lately but I'm glad you both walked away unharmed. We all take it for granted how well our cars protect us. I took a serious front end collision in my mustang in 06. I walked away unharmed except a scratch on my leg from the shifter but the car was annihilated. It was really scary to look at, I have no idea how I walked away unharmed.

On a lighter note I'm about to sell my car... if only I lived in texas...
what year was your mustang? 04 and below are SO unsafe in collisions, I've seen so many of them completely demolished from a 45mph accident...
Old 02-09-2011, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by avciugroar
what year was your mustang? 04 and below are SO unsafe in collisions, I've seen so many of them completely demolished from a 45mph accident...
87 it was beautiful and only had 72,000 miles on it . This accident was at highway speeds I did manage to brake so I'm not sure the speed at impact since I blacked out for a while during/after impact... That car was ridiculously dangerous in the rain or snow...
Old 02-09-2011, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by crystalline
That car was ridiculously dangerous in the rain or snow...
ALL mustangs are ridiculously dangerous on wet grounds! I dont know how ford never understood suspension on the mustang until 2010.... baffles me
Old 02-09-2011, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by avciugroar
ALL mustangs are ridiculously dangerous on wet grounds! I dont know how ford never understood suspension on the mustang until 2010.... baffles me
It was pouring rain when I crashed the car. I was entering the highway in the merging lane when a huge black suv swerved in front of me and into my lane and I had to slam on the brakes(front disc rear drum no abs of course) so I didn't rear end him/her. My car then spun 90 degrees into the Passing lane (2 lanes over) then back in the opposite direction off the highway (as I fought to correct the car) and over the break down lane into 2 trees. The scum bag in the SUV kept right on driving and did not stop. Last thing I remember is the windshield shattering back into my face. Then it was get out of the car and I forced my self out the door onto the grass next to the car until someone came to me. He had witnessed what happened but did not catch the SUVs plate. They got away free and clear... I'm glad Scott was able to catch his scumbag.

edit : like avic said sorry for the hijack !

Last edited by crystalline; 02-09-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:06 PM

oh wow. I was involved in a similar collision, the guy passed me in the shoulder lane going up an overpass, and was about to hit the guard rails, so he swerved and clipped me, and I went spinning in circles. I sent an accord down hill on one side, while the driver went down hill on the other side (in his Z71 Silverado) and he got away.

I have no remorse for people like this. They will get what they deserve, especially if I find them.

Scott, sorry to hijack your thread lol
Old 02-10-2011, 10:39 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Still no check to replace my car, but I have the rental through Monday. Hope to have a check by this weekend.

There was a similar accident to mine in the Dallas area last week, a drunk in a Tacoma blew through a red light and hit a Mustang. Drunk wasn't hurt but the driver of the Mustang was killed and his passenger seriously injured. Makes me realize just how lucky my son and I were.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:21 PM

Man I remember your first few posts, glad to hear you are OK.

The other driver makes me so mad, he's a repeat offender, and not only is he still driving, he driving a killing machine!

In 2010, we had a rash of deadly DUI's here in WA State. Same story EVERY time: big SUV or 3/4ton+ truck annihilates a Echo, 86 Civic, 99 Camry, Honda Accord, Kia Rio, etc. These are the ones I recall. They were all fatalities, some multiple.The Camry was by my house, all 4 people died (a entire family) when they were struck by a DUI Excursion.
I can't understand why the gov't would allow people who have a DUI history register, own and drive these 6,000+ pound killing machines.

I had enough of the stories in 2010, I bought a 4x4 Titan 4 door. I want my family to have a chance against the idiots out there. I gave up commuting too, I ride the bus now. I LOVE my Maxima, it is very tough for a mid size car. My Maxima has been in 4 accidents since we've owned it and it's held up well. Unfortunately I have no doubt it wouldn't survive the typical DUI accident scenario.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:46 PM

What a beautiful Max. I'm sorry to hear about your crash man. But I'm glad to hear you guys are just a little bit bruised. I know the truck is quite higher but I find it quite remarkable that the wheel and tire looked like it got little to no damage.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:51 AM

Atleast you get paid from HIS insurance for more than what the car was worth, win-win.

On a side note, how do you know he was drunk ._.?
Old 02-11-2011, 06:41 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by Nissan2000Maxima
Atleast you get paid from HIS insurance for more than what the car was worth, win-win.

On a side note, how do you know he was drunk ._.?
Pretty obvious at the accident scene he was pretty blasted. The police report said he was arrested for DWI-felony repetition and his BAC was .216 which is nearly 3 times the legal limit of .08.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:22 AM

Found a replacement vehicle yet?
Old 02-11-2011, 02:42 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by Shift_Max
Found a replacement vehicle yet?
Can't get a reply, PM'ed the owner of the car here I am interested in the other day.

Found a 6 speed '02 with 150k miles on it, they want $5k for it, have to take a look at that one too. Miles aren't a huge deal if the car was properly maintained.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:46 PM
dot dot dot ...

Damn man.. that's a killer price these days ... makes me want to get a 6MT. Then I'd jsut transfer all my current mods to the new car .. nahhh.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:49 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Damn man.. that's a killer price these days ... makes me want to get a 6MT. Then I'd jsut transfer all my current mods to the new car .. nahhh.
Just called the guy, doesn't seem to realize what he has. When I asked about the car, he said "I have to tell you something, its a manual".

Hoping to get done working in time tomorrow so I can go look at it.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:51 PM
dot dot dot ...

Awesome, what color is it?

Yeah, guys on here would be like 6MT!! I'll take it!

Haha, damn us. Typically/usually private sales/owners are better kept.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:58 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Looks gold in the pictures, maybe silver though, car has sun on it. A black leather interior is a plus. So is it being an SE. Test drove a GLE, felt somewhat soft.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:57 PM

Glad to hear you're ok SW... Lets hope you find a good 3.5 swap and buff that new baby up!!
Old 02-11-2011, 06:56 PM

wow, my max is the same color... what a shame
Old 02-11-2011, 09:18 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Enterprise swapped out the Malibu I had since it needed an oil change and neither of the 12v plugs worked (need my nav since I'm a mobile detailer) and gave me a brand new (only 16 miles on it) Kia Sorento. Not a bad looking crossover, but I figured it would be slow-rentals always get the base engine, which in this case is a 4 cylinder. Boy, was I wrong! 276 hp V6 with a 6 speed automatic with a manual shift mode. Really quick for a small SUV/crossover type vehicle. It will actually light the front tires up at a 10-15 mph roll! Weird sitting up high and the tires aren't really meant for handling (tall profile) but the acceleration is pretty good, really fat midrange like a VQ35. In a Kia.

Quick Reply: Pretty sure my car is totaled