5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Pretty sure my car is totaled

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 06:13 PM

Sorry to see what happened. You are lucky that idiot didn't hit the passenger door directly. Glad no serious injury to you or your son! Stay safe...
Old 01-18-2011, 06:55 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by Gary Libretti
Sorry to hear about the accident but glad you and your son are ok. I manage litigation claims for an insurance company and see jacka$$ drivers like this all the time. Texas requires 20/40 minimum bodily injury liability insurance....if you and your son feel sore, you should be seen by a doctor. They will give you "market value" for your car and maybe a little time in a rental car. They should add to that "market value" based on the exceptional condition of your car before the accident. You can PM me if I can help in any way with the claim. Good luck and be well.
Cool, thanks for the advice.

Both my son and I have seen a doctor since my chest (I am guessing from the seatbelt? Really sore there) and arm still hurt and my son's neck is very sore still. X-rays show my son's back is pretty tweaked, especially towards the top of his spine and he's going to need therapy.

Already pulled the brand new (bought them 5 hours before the accident) Bosch Icon wipers off the car. Next few days I'll swap the main cat back on for the test pipe and remove the HU and rear speakers. If I can get the hood open, I'll remove the NWP block plate and put the VIAS system back in. If I get another Maxima or maybe an Altima, they will come in handy. Pretty sure the FSTB is toast though.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:48 PM

sorry to hear about this, scott
Old 01-18-2011, 09:04 PM
Bad *** Newb

Tails and grounding kit?

Don't let those pretty tails go to waste!
Old 01-18-2011, 09:10 PM

So sorry to see this thread. Hope you and your son heal up fast. I'm also a little pi$$ed at myself for taking 2 days to see it.

I lost my 94 Max in an accident back in 09 and I was in intensive care for 3 days. But I learned something about insurance companies from that. Don't ever tell the insurance company that you feel OK. They will be calling you a lot and asking how you feel and sound all concerned and caring, but they are RECORDING it. Tell them it hurts to move, to breathe, to open your eyes - whatever and you have nightmares about the accident.

Six months after my accident when the doctors said I could stop the medicines and check-ups, the insurance company said that I was trying to defraud them on medical expenses because I had said that I was feeling OK after I got out of the hospital and would only pay 80% of the medical expenses. They also low-balled the value of my car by looking at what was for sale in Oklahoma City. They sent me printouts of some cars, all older, all less equipped and all junk yard refugees. Even their own appraiser wrote on his appraisal that my car was in very good to excellent condition but that didn't matter. That's when I went and got a lawyer. I just got my money about 4 months ago.

They won't give you any money as long as you are getting any kind of treatment and I can understand that. But if you feel that you are not getting a fair deal, get a lawyer.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:25 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

I've been through this a few times, really bad when you deal with Allstate since they drag their feet on everything. I got my own insurance company involved so they can put pressure on them as well. I've retained a lawyer for the injury side of the accident, he's been a customer of mine for years and owns several law firms.

I've made it very clear to both the drunks and my insurance company that both my son and I are in various degrees of pain. Neither of us our out to "get even" with the insurance company but we don't want to get screwed either.

I've been looking online at craigslist and auto trader in my area and even high mileage '02 Maximas are going for $5000-5800 or so. Still appear to be pretty desirable cars around here.

Child_uv_KoRn-I don't have any factory tails to put back in place of the smoked ones. Can't open the hood to get at the NWP block plate, K&N filter or the grounding kit. Love to grab the MAF too. I don't know to what degree they expect the engine to run after a hit like that so who knows if they would even notice if the MAF was gone.

Everyone-I greatly appreciate the concern everyone has shown my son and I. Makes me feel even better about my involvement in maxima.org over the last 3 years.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval
You guys know how Subaru has that commercial where the person was in an accident and then he goes back to the junkyard to visit his wrecked car to take a keepsake from it and then says that his Subaru saved his life?

Nissan should have made that commercial because out of every single accident posted on .org that I have seen the people in the Maxima walked away without any injuries.
Like Ronin slamming Iansw's old 4th gen into a telephone pole at ~40mph? Sore back, the car was destroyed, hit hard enough that the transmission mount points ripped out, but otherwise, he was ok.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:23 AM

Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad to see injuries aren't to serious, except to the Max.

Good luck in the car hunting.

Oh yeah if you ever get the hood open and don't get another Alt, Max. I call dibs on block plate
Old 01-19-2011, 08:31 AM

Man sorry to hear that happened. Glad to see the car kept you safe. I didn't read all three pages but you going to get another one (maxima)?
Old 01-19-2011, 10:07 AM

My 00 has the solid red tail lights. I can come out to you for the swap. What do you want for the tails? pm me.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Scottwax

Everyone-I greatly appreciate the concern everyone has shown my son and I. Makes me feel even better about my involvement in maxima.org over the last 3 years.
Good Luck with all. keep us posted on how it all turns out, & keep aiming for another max ! Your a great member of the community.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:16 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

My insurance company (Nationwide) has already been out to look at my car. Their estimate? $18,000.

Still waiting on Farmers to even admit their responsibility in this accident. I know the police report was available as of this morning.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:42 PM

The guy that hit me was with Farmers. I took almost a month for them to finally say their guy was at fault.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:30 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by DennisMik
The guy that hit me was with Farmers. I took almost a month for them to finally say their guy was at fault.
The police report will show their driver was at fault and arrested for DWI. I don't see how they can even attempt to drag their feet on this.

I hadn't heard from them since Monday, all it took was letting them know that my insurance company had already looked at the car to get a quick call back. Waiting to hear now from the claims adjuster assigned to my case.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:44 PM

sorry too see a nice ride gone, like others have said glad all were not badly injured. damn drunks! any idea what they will give you money wise?>
Old 01-19-2011, 01:50 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35
sorry too see a nice ride gone, like others have said glad all were not badly injured. damn drunks! any idea what they will give you money wise?>
Damage is $18,000 according to my insurance company. Probably wouldn't be fixed even if it was brand new.

2002 Maximas are going for $5500-7000 in the Dallas area even with high mileage. The adjuster from Nationwide said my car was in showroom condition.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:51 PM

Damage is $18,000 according to my insurance company. Probably wouldn't be fixed even if it was brand new.

2002 Maximas are going for $5500-7000 in the Dallas area even with high mileage. The adjuster from Nationwide said my car was in showroom condition.
hmmm, but what's going to be the market value they give you?
Old 01-19-2011, 01:57 PM

Im glad that you two aren't hurt that could have been soooo much worse....but man that max didn't go without a fight and really tore up that super duty.

Do you know whats happening to that driver? Hopefully, he'll get locked up for a good long while. Even if he does get his license back, he'll never be able to get insurance.

In sweden, if your bac is just .02, you lose your license and can be jailed.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:07 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by ewakefield
Im glad that you two aren't hurt that could have been soooo much worse....but man that max didn't go without a fight and really tore up that super duty.

Do you know whats happening to that driver? Hopefully, he'll get locked up for a good long while. Even if he does get his license back, he'll never be able to get insurance.

In sweden, if your bac is just .02, you lose your license and can be jailed.
So far he hasn't responded to his insurance company. No surprise, at the scene he got back in his truck and tried to drive away until I yanked the door open and threatened to remove him from his truck. The guy is a piece of garbage. At least his friend who was following him in another vehicle (and who should have kept him from driving in the first place) admitted to the police his friend ran the light, plus another person who stopped to tell me he saw the whole thing and would be more than willing to be a witness for me if I needed one. The police arrested the driver on a DWI charge and made a report-which unfortunately isn't ready yet. Right now, that is the hold up from what I am being told. The adjuster for Farmers said she would call the witness who gave me his name and number so she could speed things up.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:10 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally Posted by avciugroar
hmmm, but what's going to be the market value they give you?
Knowing insurance companies, they'll probably lowball him just because it's got relatively high miles. They seem to value overall mileage above actual condition of the car
Old 01-19-2011, 02:12 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by James92SE
Knowing insurance companies, they'll probably lowball him just because it's got relatively high miles. They seem to value overall mileage above actual condition of the car
Pretty ridiculous too, my car would probably have gone another 50-60k miles without any major repairs. Engine was very quiet, transmission still shifted well.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Glad you and your son are okay cars are replacable family is not. By the pics you are VERY lucky that it didn't hit broad side
Old 01-20-2011, 11:36 AM

The police report will show their driver was at fault and arrested for DWI. I don't see how they can even attempt to drag their feet on this.

I hadn't heard from them since Monday, all it took was letting them know that my insurance company had already looked at the car to get a quick call back. Waiting to hear now from the claims adjuster assigned to my case.
The police report for my accident said the other guy was at fault, too. First Farmers said they had no such client, then they said there was no police report. I do not have a very high opinion of Farmers.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I do not have a very high opinion of Farmers.
"Dollar for dollar nobody protects you like Allstate"

Farmers is cut-rate bs. My allstate may be expensive, but i think its worth it.

Last edited by ewakefield; 01-20-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:05 PM
Bad *** Newb

I have Allied (subsidiary of Nationwide) and they've been really fair. And I don't say such nice things of large corporations often. They gave me good money on 2 cars and I didn't have to do anything but call them and send the title. Price was the cheapest by far, too. State Farm was absurdly high even though I just was on my parents plan with them. I told they were out of their minds. They eventually called me back and offered me about half the original price, but I told them to take a hike b/c they were still too high and tried bull****ting me.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 01-20-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:02 PM

FWIW, I got over $7.3k for my 2001. I had 99k miles and it was just a GXE with mods that I stripped before the adjuster came.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:41 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by ewakefield
My allstate may be expensive, but i think its worth it.
Not if you get hit by someone with Allstate....they are terrible to deal with. They might take care of their policy holders but not anyone else who makes a claim. They take forever to do anything, lowball you on your car, etc.

VQP0WER-good to know you got so much for your car.

I might go ahead and take what my insurance company offers, then Farmer's has to pay them back plus pay me the $500 deductible. I'm willing to bet they offer me more than Farmers will too.

Still leaning towards another 5.5 gen Maxima, hard to beat the value. VQ35, big interior, big truck, decent enough mileage, factory HIDs.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:05 PM
^ Jeff™

Whoa Scott...Glad to hear you're ok but sorry to see your baby go.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:54 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Anyone interested in the FSTB?

While taking everything out of my car today, I noticed the passenger seat is now up against the center console and there is even damage to the front passenger door panel!

Old 01-21-2011, 03:56 PM

I'm still so sad to see these pics :-/

Scott what kind of buffer is that you're holding in your picture below your username?
Old 01-21-2011, 03:57 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by avciugroar
I'm still so sad to see these pics :-/

Scott what kind of buffer is that you're holding in your picture below your username?
That is a Cyclo dual head DA polisher. Really nice buffer 5 years ago but the newer single head DA polishers are a lot more powerful, plus pads are a lot cheaper. For any real paint correction I use a rotary anyway.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:59 PM

I dont know if I trust myself enough to use a rotary, but my Flex DA works very well. Lake Country 6.5" pads are 10 bucks a piece on detailedimage.com. is there a cheaper place?!
Old 01-21-2011, 04:12 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Sounds like a good price for LC pads.

Rotary was a lot easier to learn than I expected and using 3M Ultrafina to finish out means zero holograms.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:22 PM
My axles cry for mercy...

Dibs on the FSTB...
Old 01-21-2011, 04:38 PM

Looks like the St. Louis Arch.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:43 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
Looks like the St. Louis Arch.
Does it ward off almost all severe weather and shunt precip away?
Didn't thinks so.

We call it the arch effect here. Storms dry up or dissipate before or very eyes only to explode across the river.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:44 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by essential1
Dibs on the FSTB...
If I can get the hood open, I'm keeping it as a souvenir!

Probably saved the timing cover side of the engine from being crushed.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:56 PM

crowbar ftw ;]
Old 01-21-2011, 07:42 PM

My son gave me the Porter cable 7424 polisher and a nice assortment of the LC foam buffing pads for Fathers Day a year ago ... what a difference it makes being able to use variable speed buffing to really bring the paint to life.

I get a knot in my stomach every time I look at the pictures of your car Scott, just a damn shame seeing it all messed up the way it is.

Last edited by Ghost_54; 01-22-2011 at 06:29 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:47 PM

That FSTB photo under your wrecked hood, all bent upward... that's an amazing thing.

I can't help but wonder if the FSTB helped transfer the energy of the collision in a way that was better than otherwise.

Quick Reply: Pretty sure my car is totaled