5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

TS reflash no longer a tuning option for us...

Old 01-07-2011, 10:00 PM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

TS reflash no longer a tuning option for us...

Copied from a moderator on my350z forums in this thread http://my350z.com/forum/tuning/51089...reflashes.html

"Techno Square Inc. will no longer be offering ECU reflashes due to the recent employment decision of their current engine tuner to leave the company.

Last year was a hard year for Techno Square.. their President and lead fabricator (Richey Watanabe) passed away due after a long and arduous fight against Pancreatic Cancer. As the company struggled to recooperate and restructure, the Engine Tuner decided to pursue other career options in Japan and here locally.

Howard Watanabe, (Richey's brother), the current owner of Techno Square has decided to now concentrate solely on engine building, race chassis preparation, and installations, however he no longer has the ability to offer engine tuning services. Techno Square is also working with Right Hand Drive Japan to help with their importing and legalization of RHD vehicles..

Steve Mitchell, who is a good family friend of the Watanabes (Steve, formerly of M-WorkZ fame), will soon be heading up Cobb So Cal as a manager, so hopefully something can be worked out [as far as Engine management is concerned]... but effectively immediately, TechnoSquare will no longer offer reflashes.

thanks."

Well... Guess I wont be getting a reflash for the electronic throttle remapping after all.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:04 PM

Damn.

Looks like the price of every ECU on the org that's had the TS Reflash done just became a pretty hot commodity.

I was just thinking about contacting them about having this done the other day, too.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Got Retrofit?

Saw that on there too and almost didn't believe it.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Brett
Damn.

Looks like the price of every ECU on the org that's had the TS Reflash done just became a pretty hot commodity.

I was just thinking about contacting them about having this done the other day, too.
I'm not sure about that... pretty sure you have to reflash an ECU to use it in another car. Not quite the same deal as the 4th gens with them being interchangeable.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:15 PM

so their going hard on engine building and w.e.....but a built engine will need to be tuned with a nice flashed ecu ... they shuld jus find sum1 to still do it
Old 01-07-2011, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by maxima dude
so their going hard on engine building and w.e.....but a built engine will need to be tuned with a nice flashed ecu ... they shuld jus find sum1 to still do it
As was stated in the my350z thread, it is not as simple as just finding another guy.

Guess I'll have to get a V manage after all
Old 01-07-2011, 10:27 PM

There's got too be someone out there that can do this...Like JWT!!!!! Why has this company never reflashed the newer Nissans is beyond me.....It's a freakin gold mine! Wish i was deeper into that sorta thing....Maybe we'll need to talk to HONDATA....They seem to have their shi+ together on the Hondas.....What a sad day!!!!!
Old 01-07-2011, 10:29 PM

That kinda sucks.. I guess no SSIM for me :/ I don't think I'll be going with EU or UTEC
Old 01-07-2011, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
There's got too be someone out there that can do this...Like JWT!!!!! Why has this company never reflashed the newer Nissans is beyond me.....It's a freakin gold mine! Wish i was deeper into that sorta thing....Maybe we'll need to talk to HONDATA....They seem to have their shi+ together on the Hondas.....What a sad day!!!!!
According to the guys at UPREV, unlocking these ECUs is a b*tch and a half due to nissan being so secretive and the coding architecture of each ECu being so different (unlike GM which releases code info to HPtuners and often has similar programming). Also, 02-03 maximas, some early altimas, the earliest G35s, and a few other vehicles in the 02-03 model years have a different ECU than the newer VQ35s which makes us less likely to have reflash options... Thus why uprev doesn't support our ECUs.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:32 PM

Hmm...

In for members looking for UTEC & PnP harnesses
Old 01-07-2011, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by sparks03max
I'm not sure about that... pretty sure you have to reflash an ECU to use it in another car. Not quite the same deal as the 4th gens with them being interchangeable.
Well, considering that the Nissan's ECU "learns" a driver's driving style (or so I've heard), other than needing to reset the chipped key, I don't see what else would need to be reflashed.

I might be missing something, though. I'm not too knowledgable on our ECUs.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:04 PM

You just need to flash it to work with the key, that won't change or reset the original mapping of the TS ECU.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:47 AM

That is a sad story. I was lucky enough too have my F-spec flash done last summer I suppose
Ill have too find other options for future upgrades
Old 01-08-2011, 07:42 AM

Sparks, thanks for sharing that info with the Org.

Good God, what's next? Kimball gets hit by a bus? Catts retires to Florida?
Old 01-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

Damn, I just sold my F-Spec too. That kind of sucks to hear TS is out of the game when it comes to tuning.

But, to hear they will help bring RHD vehicle into the US....R32s, R33s, R34? Sweet!!!

Just thinking ahead a little bit....
Old 01-08-2011, 11:53 AM

Uprev>TS

When I visited Uprev awhile back I mentioned I had a buddy with a 5.5 gen. and they told me they did not see any reason why they could not work with the Ecu. Sounds like someone just needs to step up and visit an actual Uprev location that will have a developer on site, not just a tuner. I would also think the value would decline with the lack of support. If it wasn't for Jeffsoftware Utec would be another option that has become obsolete.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by tonedef
Uprev>TS

When I visited Uprev awhile back I mentioned I had a buddy with a 5.5 gen. and they told me they did not see any reason why they could not work with the Ecu. Sounds like someone just needs to step up and visit an actual Uprev location that will have a developer on site, not just a tuner. I would also think the value would decline with the lack of support. If it wasn't for Jeffsoftware Utec would be another option that has become obsolete.
I've been bothering them about it for over a year and Jared has been telling me that they won't be able to reflash the gen1 ECUs because there isn't enough memory. Did they really give you a different answer? If so, who told you that? If Uprev actually did support gen1 ecus, I would happily donate my car and drive my truck around for a few weeks...
Old 01-08-2011, 02:08 PM

I was also speaking with Jared and mind u this was around two years ago so if that is the latest then I am sorry for the confusion. I guess there is just not enough ROM on the older ECU's. Has anyone looked into swapping the ECU's and what exactly would need to be done?
Old 01-08-2011, 02:19 PM
You embarrass me.

I've been bothering them about it for over a year and Jared has been telling me that they won't be able to reflash the gen1 ECUs because there isn't enough memory. Did they really give you a different answer? If so, who told you that? If Uprev actually did support gen1 ecus, I would happily donate my car and drive my truck around for a few weeks...
They should throw in some RAM and call it a day.

Sorry, dry humor.

On topic, it's a shame to hear about the TS president. Wish the best for his family and his brother in his ventures.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Toolie

Well... Guess I wont be getting a reflash for the electronic throttle remapping after all.

Why would you want to remap your throttle?

Old 01-08-2011, 09:52 PM

Old 01-08-2011, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
Why would you want to remap your throttle?
You do know our throttle body closes partially at the high RPM ranges? I'm not talking about making my pedal more sensitive for a false feel of responsiveness if you know what I'm getting at....
Old 01-08-2011, 11:11 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

I'm on my Droid. But there was a post showing that to be untrue. If memory serves the voltage showed that the throttle closed partially at the obd plug, but that wasn't the case....sorry. read it in Afh, so its been awhile...
Old 01-08-2011, 11:14 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
Hmm...

In for members looking for UTEC & PnP harnesses
Oh young de-k owner...check me out next week ceffy
Old 01-08-2011, 11:22 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Wow my condolences to the family. My mother is one of the 5% who have survived pancreatic cancer.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Brett
Well, considering that the Nissan's ECU "learns" a driver's driving style (or so I've heard), other than needing to reset the chipped key, I don't see what else would need to be reflashed.

I might be missing something, though. I'm not too knowledgable on our ECUs.
This is a myth. The ECU does not learn any personal driving patterns. It only learns things like idle throttle position and long term fuel trims.

You do know our throttle body closes partially at the high RPM ranges? I'm not talking about making my pedal more sensitive for a false feel of responsiveness if you know what I'm getting at....
I have found this to be not true. For my Emanage Ultimate, I am getting the throttle position values from the TPS itself, and it stays at 94%-100% for the whole pull. When I use an OBD-II scanner, my throttle only goes to 84% though.

AND SPRINT BOOSTER FTW.....
Old 01-09-2011, 01:31 AM

Kicking myself in the a$$ for not getting that reflash 2 yrs ago when they were doing A/T ecu's.....Guess if I can't find a reflash vendor or even pay JWT for a custom reflash.....I'll remove the Cattman headers, 3" catback, my spare 2.5" catback, etc and reinstall everything to stock, and sell this car and get me a BMW, AMG or 300C STR8! My than likely the bad a$$ 300C STR8! Since parts are easy to get and upgrading performance as per The Mopar recipe is a proven procedure!
Old 01-09-2011, 06:04 AM

interesting, you gotta look out for your self sometimes I guess.
cmax keep your max yo
Old 01-09-2011, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by tonedef
Uprev>TS

To the few ppl that doesn't know much about engine management for maxima's (5th gens) please disregard this message as its moreso personal opinion than fact... there is not even uprev for a maxima yet your saying its better... WTF?
Originally Posted by CMax03
Kicking myself in the a$$ for not getting that reflash 2 yrs ago when they were doing A/T ecu's.....Guess if I can't find a reflash vendor or even pay JWT for a custom reflash.....I'll remove the Cattman headers, 3" catback, my spare 2.5" catback, etc and reinstall everything to stock, and sell this car and get me a BMW, AMG or 300C STR8! My than likely the bad a$$ 300C STR8! Since parts are easy to get and upgrading performance as per The Mopar recipe is a proven procedure!
I kinda notice the trend of parts being discontinued
Old 01-09-2011, 07:21 AM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Originally Posted by Unklejoe
For my Emanage Ultimate, I am getting the throttle position values from the TPS itself, and it stays at 94%-100% for the whole pull. When I use an OBD-II scanner, my throttle only goes to 84% though..
That would be the guy. Thx knew I wasn't crazy.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:15 AM
Toolie

There are more threads out there that prove the myth that the throttle is only partially open at WOT. There is a ton of stuff that reads improperly through the OBD 2 port, including TPS and engine timing.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:27 AM

"To the few ppl that doesn't know much about engine management for maxima's (5th gens) please disregard this message as its moreso personal opinion than fact... there is not even uprev for a maxima yet your saying its better... WTF?"

Damn right I am saying its better, and yes I drive an Altima. I know of quite a few acquaintances with a TS reflash and it does not even come close to the capabilities of what Uprev can do. Not trying to bash TS, especially in this unfortunate situation. I have not seen anyone with a sixth gen. step up to the plate and the ECU's are obviously capable of manipulating and storing enough ROM. I speak from experience, not here say with Dyno graphs to prove it. So yeah, I am saying with the ability to control five maps on the fly through my cruise control as well as a two step launch control is better than what TS had to offer at the time. So, WTF experience do u have to recant??? I obviously stated earlier for the 5th gens to disregard this statement so no need to reiterate unless u just wanted to prove something that we did not already know.

Last edited by tonedef; 01-09-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Cant_Get_Ryte
I'm on my Droid. But there was a post showing that to be untrue. If memory serves the voltage showed that the throttle closed partially at the obd plug, but that wasn't the case....sorry. read it in Afh, so its been awhile...
I have found this to be not true. For my Emanage Ultimate, I am getting the throttle position values from the TPS itself, and it stays at 94%-100% for the whole pull. When I use an OBD-II scanner, my throttle only goes to 84% though.
I datalog with the UTEC and find the TPS stays at 100% until around 5500 RPMs where it will go down to 94-95% for the rest of the RPM range, even posted some logs in a thread a few months ago.

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
To the few ppl that doesn't know much about engine management for maxima's (5th gens) please disregard this message as its moreso personal opinion than fact... there is not even uprev for a maxima yet your saying its better... WTF?
While there is no uprev for us, it has proven to be superior to TS and UTEC for the same pricepoint (700 dollars for tuner version, 300 for mail in tune) on the my350z forums. Considering they have the same engine and tuning options, it is not exactly a leap of faith to decide which is better. Up to 5 tunes selectable with cruise control buttons, full control of DTCs, fuel, timing, rev limiter, speed limiter, CVTC, and data logging. Also real time tuning so you can make quick changes without having to reflash each time. Throw in torque management and more features being added on a consistent basis and it's hard to say no to. However, they've been prodded many times about the gen1 ECUs and have said they won't be supporting them...
Old 01-09-2011, 09:16 AM

Smaething was said with the manifolds, its proven on this n that, until its proven on a 5.5 maxima then the information is as good as dirt... again its not proven here so its not better, point blank
Old 01-09-2011, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
Smaething was said with the manifolds, its proven on this n that, until its proven on a 5.5 maxima then the information is as good as dirt... again its not proven here so its not better, point blank
VQ35DE is VQ35DE, whether in a FWD or RWD application. Being able to control more parameters better than the UTEC or TS with a user friendly interface is pretty win. Yet this discussion is going nowhere since Uprev doesn't support gen1 ECUs, TS doesn't reflash anymore, and you will continue to bang your head against this argument about "untested" rather than listen to logic or research it for yourself. So instead of being dragged to your "level," I'll just leave it at that.

Last edited by sparks03max; 01-09-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:43 AM

Old 01-09-2011, 09:49 AM

VQ35DE is VQ35DE, whether in a FWD or RWD application. Being able to control more parameters better than the UTEC or TS with a user friendly interface is pretty win. Yet this discussion is going nowhere since Uprev doesn't support gen1 ECUs, TS doesn't reflash anymore, and you will continue to bang your head against this argument about "untested" rather than listen to logic or research it for yourself. So instead of being dragged to your "level," I'll just leave it at that.
Again this will be pointless to continue, I'm. Not saying this program doesn't work, you just can't physically prove it works on a maxima yes it is the same motor whether FWD or RWD but not every last setup is the same, different ECU's different I'M so hence the results can biffer, just like how a 6th gen engine is rated 10hp more with identical motor.... until somebody does it and prove that it works for a 5.5 then I don't care what logic you speak it is not a fact nor is it reality so again right this second its actually impossible to prove that it benefits a vq35 in a 5.5 setup...
Old 01-09-2011, 10:12 AM

I'm agreeing with Hustle here.

UpRev is good but talking about how much better it is is like when the guys that dyno'd my car said they like the K-pro software better than e-Manage. Completely irrelevant here because of the lack of compatibility.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:52 AM

I datalog with the UTEC and find the TPS stays at 100% until around 5500 RPMs where it will go down to 94-95% for the rest of the RPM range, even posted some logs in a thread a few months ago.

Interesting. I'll check it out.

So as of now, the tuning options for the Maxima are as follows:
Apexi AFC
UTEC
Emanage Blue/Ultimate
SMT?

There's really nothing you can't do with the EU or UTEC, besides control the VTC's.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:54 AM

Interesting. I'll check it out.

So as of now, the tuning options for the Maxima are as follows:
Apexi AFC
UTEC
Emanage Blue/Ultimate
SMT?

There's really nothing you can't do with the EU or UTEC, besides control the VTC's.
And for VTCs you can add v-Manage.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TS reflash no longer a tuning option for us...