5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

TS reflash no longer a tuning option for us...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
And for VTCs you can add v-Manage.
Ahh yes.

There's very little info on how to set it up for the VQ35 though.

This may allow us to use HR heads with variable intake AND exhaust timing
Old 01-09-2011, 11:23 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

You guys are depating over the wrong things here. What you should be discussing is how inferior the 1st gen VQ35 ECU is to the later (current) generations.

Thats whats really holding you guys back from better options for flash tunes.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Unklejoe
Interesting. I'll check it out.

So as of now, the tuning options for the Maxima are as follows:
Apexi AFC
UTEC
Emanage Blue/Ultimate
SMT?

There's really nothing you can't do with the EU or UTEC, besides control the VTC's.
Your forgeting about the AEM FI-C...
Old 01-09-2011, 12:16 PM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

Ahh yes.

Jime installed one on a VQ35, it's apparently quite easy as you don't need to tap many wires. I've been watching for used ones to pop up on ebay and various forums with google... Going to try and get one eventually for cheap.

Originally Posted by essential1
You guys are depating over the wrong things here. What you should be discussing is how inferior the 1st gen VQ35 ECU is to the later (current) generations.

I'd love to see a 6th gen or newer altima ECU swap in a 5.5 so we could take advantage of Uprev and all the plug and play options available to the gen2 ECUs.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by sparks03max
I'd love to see a 6th gen or newer altima ECU swap in a 5.5 so we could take advantage of Uprev and all the plug and play options available to the gen2 ECUs.
Yup, me too. But I think we would get very good results (similar to that of stand alone setups) by simply playing with cam timing by way of V-manage though. (or whatever else we can use to adjust that parameter) I used to be under the impression that the IM was the biggest bottle neck for the VQ, (which it still is) but from some research and talking with local tuners specializing in VQs, they have unlocked plenty of reliable power from advancing cam timing in certain areas or the rpm range.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:16 PM

Yup, me too. But I think we would get very good results (similar to that of stand alone setups) by simply playing with cam timing by way of V-manage though. (or whatever else we can use to adjust that parameter) I used to be under the impression that the IM was the biggest bottle neck for the VQ, (which it still is) but from some research and talking with local tuners specializing in VQs, they have unlocked plenty of reliable power from advancing cam timing in certain areas or the rpm range.
There are a few Z forum guys who are convinced that a SSIM manifold may be better than a spacered non revup, so I guess the envy goes both ways when it comes to randomly speculating as to what IM is best. I think that it's quite likely that a SSIM'd and ported FWD manifold with a 90MM elbow and TB would put out similar numbers as the one SGM made for the Z. Aaron made nearly 300whp through an auto with knockoff S1 cams + some headwork and SSIM manifold (A healthy nearly 300 whp evidenced by 114+ traps), which is more than many of the cam+built Z guys put through 6-speeds, so I'm not really worried about the IM.

Yeah, a UTEC + V manage should be fine to cover the main aspects of tuning and I have a WOT box already for 2-step and ignition rev limiter (to avoid the gay 250rpm soft limiter of the UTEC), but I would prefer a less archaic interface when actually tuning and the ability to disable DTCs. Jeffsoftware UTI is the only saving grace for UTEC, but it only helps for data logging. I'll definitely be getting a Vmanage before I take my car to a dyno for tuning. After so much time on the Z forums, I've seen way too much evidence that intake cam timing can make a massive difference in lowend/midrange power even on the Zs that have much more advanced intake cam timing than us stock for me not to get one and see what gains can be had. Jime datalogged gains with his, as well.

Last edited by sparks03max; 01-09-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
There are more threads out there that prove the myth that the throttle is only partially open at WOT. There is a ton of stuff that reads improperly through the OBD 2 port, including TPS and engine timing.
Sounds like it's time for a glass/transparent induction tube and a camera to prove something period!
Old 01-09-2011, 01:36 PM

There are a few Z forum guys who are convinced that a SSIM manifold may be better than a spacered non revup, so I guess the envy goes both ways when it comes to randomly speculating as to what IM is best. I think that it's quite likely that a SSIM'd and ported FWD manifold with a 90MM elbow and TB would put out similar numbers as the one SGM made for the Z. Aaron made nearly 300whp through an auto with knockoff S1 cams + some headwork and SSIM manifold (A healthy nearly 300 whp evidenced by 114+ traps), which is more than many of the cam+built Z guys put through 6-speeds, so I'm not really worried about the IM.

Yeah, a UTEC + V manage should be fine to cover the main aspects of tuning and I have a WOT box already for 2-step and ignition rev limiter (to avoid the gay 250rpm soft limiter of the UTEC), but I would prefer a less archaic interface when actually tuning and the ability to disable DTCs. Jeffsoftware UTI is the only saving grace for UTEC, but it only helps for data logging. I'll definitely be getting a Vmanage before I take my car to a dyno for tuning. After so much time on the Z forums, I've seen way too much evidence that intake cam timing can make a massive difference in lowend/midrange power even on the Zs that have much more advanced intake cam timing than us stock for me not to get one and see what gains can be had. Jime datalogged gains with his, as well.
Yup. Exactly my point. Sure, there are gains to be had from improving on the IM design. But compared to gains that can be had from advancing even just the intake cam (obviously not the exhaust cam) on 1st gen VQ35s, we can spend time getting the few extra ponies from the IM later down the road.

As far as the FWD vs. RWD IM goes, i've read a few places on line that say the FWD IM is better but down here, we've had much better results with a non-revup RWD IM. This is on 3.5 swapped maximas by the way with static cam timing.

But this is a completely different topic which can be discussed for days. Back to TS discontinuing the flash and how cam timing unlocks gobs of power for us.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:37 PM

Ahh yes.

If it's anything like setting up an e-Manage, you tap the appropriate pins, select VQ35, parameters should then load automatically, and then add/pull timing through the intake side and get super epic midrange POWAH
Old 01-09-2011, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Sounds like it's time for a glass/transparent induction tube and a camera to prove something period!
Just got a funny visual. Only on a maxima forum will this idea pop up.

So whos gonna try it first?
Old 01-09-2011, 01:41 PM

I'm not going anywhere just venting!!! I'll call JWT and see why he hasn't reflashed any 5/5.5th Gen Maxima ecu's yet! But the wiring can't be that much different!

Jime installed one on a VQ35, it's apparently quite easy as you don't need to tap many wires. I've been watching for used ones to pop up on ebay and various forums with google... Going to try and get one eventually for cheap.

Are there any 6th or 7th gen that are UPrev modified? I haven't heard to many talking about it on the 6th nor 7th Gen threads......
Old 01-09-2011, 02:44 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

You should come check my car out. This is NOT the thread to discuss it but ive got a 04 max ecu , with osiris tuner, factory widebands, sentra gauge cluster, in my car right now. Its interesting

i guess i just let the cat out of the bag?
Old 01-09-2011, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by SurraTT
You should come check my car out. This is NOT the thread to discuss it but ive got a 04 max ecu , with osiris tuner, factory widebands, sentra gauge cluster, in my car right now. Its interesting

You little....

Hows that osiris workin out for you.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:52 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

You little....

Hows that osiris workin out for you.

Its def bad ***! But im not too good at tuning haah. Still working out the kinks of doing the ecu swap. Its INSANE, BUT im finding out that doing a Haltech with a 5.5 gen patch harness is realistically the best thing to do.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:58 PM

Its def bad ***! But im not too good at tuning haah. Still working out the kinks of doing the ecu swap. Its INSANE, BUT im finding out that doing a Haltech with a 5.5 gen patch harness is realistically the best thing to do.
Either way, atleast you actually took the initiative to actually finish the project. I'm wating on a few parts to arive to finish my setup. It's nothing crazy compared to whats been done here lately. But it should make some good power for how simple its gonna be because of tuning.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:08 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

haha ya, its not quite done tho. Ima make a thread in the all motor section i guess
Old 01-09-2011, 03:38 PM

Yup. Exactly my point. Sure, there are gains to be had from improving on the IM design. But compared to gains that can be had from advancing even just the intake cam (obviously not the exhaust cam) on 1st gen VQ35s, we can spend time getting the few extra ponies from the IM later down the road.

As far as the FWD vs. RWD IM goes, i've read a few places on line that say the FWD IM is better but down here, we've had much better results with a non-revup RWD IM. This is on 3.5 swapped maximas by the way with static cam timing.

But this is a completely different topic which can be discussed for days. Back to TS discontinuing the flash and how cam timing unlocks gobs of power for us.
My only words on the topic are: please get a comparison dyno on the same day or track results from a consistent auto on the same day and make a thread. I'm quite wary of butt dyno "results" as amazingly inconsistent as butt dynos are.

Very interesting news. Will be sending you a PM or text soon with questions!
Old 01-10-2011, 06:55 AM

And for VTCs you can add v-Manage.
Word from mr tune master... +1
Old 01-10-2011, 07:09 AM

Not to stay off topic but here its proven that the FWD SSIM makes the same power. As the Z's I'M so there was no need to go through the hassle, but to go back on topic, sparks kinda said something interesting, in doing an ECU swap say from like a 6th gen or altima SE-R to the 5.5 to for more tuning options, that sounds like a great idea, only if there was a nissan genius down here who would take on such task, that would be something i'd try down the future seeing as though I'm still using an auto ECU setup so if I decide to go the 6spd ECU setup then that could be a possibility.... that could change a a lot on this forum
Old 01-10-2011, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
Not to stay off topic but here its proven that the FWD SSIM makes the same power. As the Z's I'M so there was no need to go through the hassle, but to go back on topic, sparks kinda said something interesting, in doing an ECU swap say from like a 6th gen or altima SE-R to the 5.5 to for more tuning options, that sounds like a great idea, only if there was a nissan genius down here who would take on such task, that would be something i'd try down the future seeing as though I'm still using an auto ECU setup so if I decide to go the 6spd ECU setup then that could be a possibility.... that could change a a lot on this forum
Darren posted a thread about it. Kinda complicated because of CAN issues. http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/6...ml#post7884099

Looks like I'll just be sticking with a UTEC+WOT box+vmanage setup. Considering how much trouble his swap is, if I had to do it all over again, I would just go with a haltech.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:45 AM

This is a let-down though since it was a good option for the 5.5 gen maximas. But it seemed like things were going downhill when TS stopped doing the reflash for the A/T maximas first. And as far as the 350z/g35 crowd, Uprev is the best option as far as a reflash goes. Plenty of members switch from Utec to Uprev so it is clearly to see that the market for the TS reflash was getting smaller.

It would be awesome if Darren would finish his project and make it actually work.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:25 PM

Think about UPREV?
Old 01-10-2011, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by MIKERNM1990
Think about UPREV?
Old 01-10-2011, 03:44 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

haha
Old 01-10-2011, 04:00 PM

^ for what?
Old 01-10-2011, 04:30 PM

nevermind, i not care about my post isnt good grammar because im low education, i wish i have good education!
Old 01-10-2011, 04:35 PM

My facepalm had nothing to do with your grammar, troll.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:36 PM

UPREV GOOD?
Old 01-10-2011, 04:40 PM

UPREV GOOD?
WILL WITH UPREV KN FILTER I RUN AND 13.9@10X?
Old 01-10-2011, 04:44 PM

to me or monceaf33?
Old 01-10-2011, 05:26 PM

huh. No more nitrous and ts
Old 01-10-2011, 05:35 PM

LMAO!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 05:54 PM

Wow. It's happening again.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Shift_Max
This is a let-down though since it was a good option for the 5.5 gen maximas. But it seemed like things were going downhill when TS stopped doing the reflash for the A/T maximas first. And as far as the 350z/g35 crowd, Uprev is the best option as far as a reflash goes. Plenty of members switch from Utec to Uprev so it is clearly to see that the market for the TS reflash was getting smaller.

It would be awesome if Darren would finish his project and make it actually work.
does anybody wanna call em to make sure this is true???
Originally Posted by jowo9
Wow. It's happening again.
i know right
Old 01-14-2011, 03:53 AM

Quick thought/question after reading responses on a similar thread on my350z forum: could we use the Cobb Tuning AccessPORT or the reflash from AAM Competition <aamcompetition.com>? Or are these both for 04+ G35s and 03+ 350Zs?

I might "justify" purchasing this for my mom+dad's G35s (yes, both my parents have one ;-) ) and see if it works on my Maxima.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:40 AM

Somebody should email then and ask if they already stopped flashing the ecus
Old 01-14-2011, 04:40 AM

I am going to work with Clark at JWT to try and get this stuff finished.. He's been toying around with the Spec V ECU (02/03), which shares the same exact architecture and coding as the Maxima/Altima (02/03) VQ ECU's. He and I were just talking about this a few days ago. I have a few TS ECU's, mapped for different things.. I think I'll send them over to Clark. At the very least, he'll be able to dump the code, and flash it to another ECU. So, as long as I have original tunes from Tadashi's old ECU's, I can at least get that same program on another ECU. I wouldn't normally do this, but TS isn't leaving me any options. I have been loyal to them for 5 years.. since I started swapping VQ's. To leave customers out to dry is a little bit over the top. You're stuck with what you have, unless you want to abandon it, and move to something different.

Travis
Old 01-14-2011, 09:10 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by TurboS13Hatch
I am going to work with Clark at JWT to try and get this stuff finished.. He's been toying around with the Spec V ECU (02/03), which shares the same exact architecture and coding as the Maxima/Altima (02/03) VQ ECU's. He and I were just talking about this a few days ago. I have a few TS ECU's, mapped for different things.. I think I'll send them over to Clark. At the very least, he'll be able to dump the code, and flash it to another ECU. So, as long as I have original tunes from Tadashi's old ECU's, I can at least get that same program on another ECU. I wouldn't normally do this, but TS isn't leaving me any options. I have been loyal to them for 5 years.. since I started swapping VQ's. To leave customers out to dry is a little bit over the top. You're stuck with what you have, unless you want to abandon it, and move to something different.

Travis
Old 01-16-2011, 03:57 AM

Cobb AccessPORT

From my searching online, it looks like Cobb AccessPORT is not a viable option, as I believe only the 03-04.5 Sedans had an ECU similar to ours. And they are no longer selling these anyway.

"Part No: AP-NIS-002
Application: Infiniti G35 2003-07 VQ35DE engine with single throttle body ; **Excluding 2003-early 2004 G35 Sedans, USDM Only
Price: $495.00 (Out of Stock)"

http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=3687