5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Struts

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by 2000Base
I'm at 126k miles in a 2000 Max and I am pretty sure I need the same. How do you tell? I hear a knock when I hit potholes and I can feel the car slam when it happens. It feels like there's nothing there to support it and the ride is rough

Thanks in advance for help
Replace your struts and dustboots/bumpstops.

Originally Posted by mrfxho
is there any rear struts that you guys reccomend? I pull a jet ski from time to time and ive notice my back sags a bit
Seriously? Of course it's going to sag, and no strut you pick is going to change that fact. The weight of the skis are making the SPRINGS compress. Nothing you can do about it.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:19 PM

Seriously? Of course it's going to sag, and no strut you pick is going to change that fact. The weight of the skis are making the SPRINGS compress. Nothing you can do about it.[/quote]

That I know. But the reason why I was asking is because maybe there is one that can hold a bit more weight than others, remeber im new to this so thats why I am asking.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Suspension Yoda

Sag is based on the spring, not the strut.

There is no spring that can handle more of a load, OEM is pretty much the highest you can go. All other springs are lower, and would 'sag' more than you see now.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by L_U_D_I_AMaxima
Sorry for the late response the actual site is www.carpartswholesale.com i believe it is some king of sub website on the autopartswarehouse.com
The coupon is the same "maintenance"
Here are the parts numbers:

Front Passanger PART#:ARBN280501 $33.78
Front Driver PART#:ARBN280502 $32.16

So far I put about 1000 miles on them and to be honest I don't see any difference in the ride quality

I just found out that now they have also the rear struts about a month a half ago they only had the front check out the rears they are only $26.60 a piece
Thanks LUDI, but it appears the coupon has expired. Here's what the website tells me:

Coupon MAINTENANCE has expired.

But I'm not griping, hell, the shipped total for all four is only $138.18, lol, yeah, I think this is what I'll try after the holidays pass. Even if they suck, they can't be any worse than my factory ones, and they'll buy me some time to take care of other more pressing issues. Good find!
Old 12-06-2010, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by BlackMacks
Thanks LUDI, but it appears the coupon has expired. Here's what the website tells me:

Coupon MAINTENANCE has expired.

But I'm not griping, hell, the shipped total for all four is only $138.18, lol, yeah, I think this is what I'll try after the holidays pass. Even if they suck, they can't be any worse than my factory ones, and they'll buy me some time to take care of other more pressing issues. Good find!
Every singe day I put more and more miles on the front stuts, no problems what so ever... It is possible the coupon is expired, I got mine about 2 months ago...
Either way I am glad I was able to share some valuable info on the subject...
Old 12-11-2010, 01:29 AM

strut replacement help?

I am looking to replace the struts on my 2003 nissan maxima....got quoted around 1600 from my local firestone so buying the parts online and having my local mechanic do the job. I was wondering if i've all the parts covered and if there is anything else that I should be asking my mechanic to do while he is replacing the struts. I am replacing the struts with kyb gr-2 strut assembly both front and back. replacing strut mounts with kyb front and back, and replacing boot with kyp both front and back. Do I have to replace the bearing as well and is this included in any of the items I am purchasing, such as the strut mount? Also is the spring mount included in any of the items above or should i just reuse my existing spring mount? and what do you think the labor should be for having to replace all the struts? I live in the south jersey area.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

In my experience the strut bearing is included with the strut mount, but check to be sure when u purchase since I believe I've seen it listed without also.Always a good idea to change the strut bearing when things are dissassembled. If by spring mount, you mean the lower surface the springs rests on, it comes as part of the strut/shock assembly. If you mean the upper, it is not included in any of the items you mention, and I did not need to replace the components. The springs will usually have a split plastic tubing around the lower 1-2 coils, and u can likely reuse. Some have found not having it on there results in noises..if I recall mine was deteriorated, and I used some Home Depot clear tubing-sorry, can't recall what dimension. As for labor...hmmm,I can't imagine a garage needing more than 4 hours to change all 4 corners.

Last edited by StevieB; 12-11-2010 at 05:44 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:32 AM
Suspension Yoda

Get Moog strut mounts instead - Part # K90655. It includes strut bearings.

Also, get OEM boots instead of KYB. Everything else looks good

mshariff, where are you located?
Old 12-11-2010, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl

I am located in the cherry hill / voorhees area. Thanks for all the advice. I have one more question should I replace the springs as well? and does kyb make a quick strut product for an 03 maxima se.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl

sorry one more question what is the difference between OEM boots and KYB.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:48 AM

is it true when you replace the front struts,,you need to get the wheels re-aligned,,my mechanic suggested that to me when he will replace my front struts with kyb s,,
Old 12-14-2010, 05:22 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by mshariff
I am located in the cherry hill / voorhees area. Thanks for all the advice. I have one more question should I replace the springs as well? and does kyb make a quick strut product for an 03 maxima se.
Hey you're only about 40 minutes from me. I can probably replace your struts for cheaper than your mechanic, and I know Maximas like the back of my hand. Sending you a PM, let's discuss

sorry one more question what is the difference between OEM boots and KYB.
I like the fitment better.

Originally Posted by maxipower
is it true when you replace the front struts,,you need to get the wheels re-aligned,,my mechanic suggested that to me when he will replace my front struts with kyb s,,
Yes, absolutely.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:29 PM

Struts Parts

OK so it seems that I have worked out all the parts that I need for my upcoming strut Job, can I get an opinion on them and see if I am missing anything. Its a 2003 max se.

replacing the strut assembly with KYB gr2 all round
replacing the strut mount with moog strut mount all around
replacing strut boot with moog strut mount all around
replacing sway bar linkage with mood sway bar links on the front
replacing sway bar with energy suspension sway bar bushing on the front
Keeping the existing springs.

Is there anything else that I should need in terms of parts to do this job, also anyone know any cheap websites where I can buy these parts and or promo codes thanks.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:19 PM

Is it necessary to get new REAR strut mounts? I know MOOG makes front strut mounts, but do they make rear?
Old 12-15-2010, 05:07 PM

strut mounts

Originally Posted by jowo9
Is it necessary to get new REAR strut mounts? I know MOOG makes front strut mounts, but do they make rear?
yup, they do make rear strut mounts. I do not know if it is necessary but i figure since your in there might as well do it.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:37 PM
Suspension Yoda

OK so it seems that I have worked out all the parts that I need for my upcoming strut Job, can I get an opinion on them and see if I am missing anything. Its a 2003 max se.

replacing the strut assembly with KYB gr2 all round
replacing the strut mount with moog strut mount all around
replacing strut boot with moog strut mount all around
replacing sway bar linkage with mood sway bar links on the front
replacing sway bar with energy suspension sway bar bushing on the front
Keeping the existing springs.

Is there anything else that I should need in terms of parts to do this job, also anyone know any cheap websites where I can buy these parts and or promo codes thanks.
I spoke with mshariff about all this, but for everyone else, this looks good except for the following items:

Rear strut mounts are not necessary
I prefer OEM boots over any aftermarket boots. Fitment is better.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:53 PM

GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

Just ordered the parts through the phone from www.discountautoshocks.com spoke with leonard ext 898. I found the mounts to be a little cheaper on a different website partsgeek.com spoke to leonard and he had to problem price matching them on it. so basically I got 4 kyb gr2 strut assembly's front and back, 2 MOOG front strut mounts, 2 moog sway bar links LH and RH, and 1 energy suspension sway bar bushing for the extremely cheap price of 430 bucks. Leonard had no problem price matching the difference and said my parts would arrive within 3-5 days. Hopefully everything comes soon and as I will post a follow up as I receive the parts. Also spoke with djfrestyl on the install extremely helpful resource. Can't wait to get this install done so the max stops rocking like a boat.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:00 PM

phone number

Just ordered the parts through the phone from www.discountautoshocks.com spoke with leonard ext 898. I found the mounts to be a little cheaper on a different website partsgeek.com spoke to leonard and he had to problem price matching them on it. so basically I got 4 kyb gr2 strut assembly's front and back, 2 MOOG front strut mounts, 2 moog sway bar links LH and RH, and 1 energy suspension sway bar bushing for the extremely cheap price of 430 bucks. Leonard had no problem price matching the difference and said my parts would arrive within 3-5 days. Hopefully everything comes soon and as I will post a follow up as I receive the parts. Also spoke with djfrestyl on the install extremely helpful resource. Can't wait to get this install done so the max stops rocking like a boat.
Sorry I left out their phone number is 1-888-311-5184 ext 898 for leonard
Old 12-20-2010, 06:07 PM

Just got all the parts in!!!

All the parts came in even earlier then expected... everything looks good, too bad there is snow forecasted on install day. Just looked at other online parts store they are selling the struts for 110 almost 30 dollars more, guess I got lucky.