5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: What would you get if you had the choice?
Tune + SRI (VAFC, WB, JWT pop)
20.00%
Tein SS Coilovers
80.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Tein SS Coilovers (where to buy, what to buy, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 05:04 PM

Tein SS Coilovers (where to buy, what to buy, etc.)

Ok,
So, I'm in the middle of deciding whether to tune my car and get an intake (VAFC, WB, JWT pop), or to just ditch that idea for now and get some Tein SS Coilovers. So I have 3 questions.

1. What would you do? (I want input... I know, it depends on what I want, but I still would like some input)

2. Since most of the Tein SS threads are really dated, where is the best CURRENT place to get Tein SS Coilovers from at the best price?

3. Does the kit come with everything needed for install, or do I need other things as well? (mounting accessories, etc.) And is it better with the pillow ball mounts?

Thanks for any help. I really appreciate it!

Last edited by jowo9; 11-05-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:45 PM

Well given the fact that summer up here has come and gone, and I wouldn't recommend coilovers for either your winter or mine for that matter. Don't get me wrong if I could afford coilovers I would love to have them, but they simple don't like our freezing temps. So I would go with the Tune + SRI (VAFC, WB, JWT pop) and perhaps next season look at S-Tech springs with Tokico luminas adjustable struts.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:57 PM

Get the coilovers. Screw winter.

Last edited by Rochester; 11-05-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:07 PM

winter is overated. get the coilovers i wish they made those for the 4th gen so i can get my car to go lower
Old 11-06-2010, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Ghost_54
Don't get me wrong if I could afford coilovers I would love to have them, but they simple don't like our freezing temps. .
So would you change your suspension seasonaly, if you had coilovers?
Old 11-06-2010, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by SteveB123
So would you change your suspension seasonaly, if you had coilovers?
To be honest if I could afford to put 1600 to 2000.00 worth of coilovers on my car I would most definitely keep the original setup intact and would then switch them off much the same way one does with changing their tires for the winter season. Coilovers simple don't like the sub zero temps. and have ever looked to see just what road salt does to ones suspension parts, not pretty and given the money you just invested why would you subject them to all that salt.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by SteveB123
So would you change your suspension seasonally, if you had coilovers?
Hell no!

This suspension was made for the North American market, that includes all 4 seasons. If you're really finicky about corrosion, get yourself some Rust Check Coat & Protect and spray down the damper which includes the threads used for height adjustment then clean it off in the spring when the snow,sand and salt are gone. Makes way more sense than swapping out the suspension twice a year!

Here's a link on how to maintain the Tein suspension.

http://teinusa-blog.com/tein-damper-maintainence/
Old 11-06-2010, 07:33 AM
You embarrass me.

I'm actually going to be swapping mine out for the winter. Too low, don't want to readjust them and I'd rather save the threads from exposure to salt and the sh*tshow we call winter here.

However, I'd say buy the coilovers for the spring. These cars need suspension upgrades before they need power, plain and simple.

Edit: Addressing some of your questions, I'd say OEM mounts. Check with Jason of RaceTech Performance. He will give you a good price.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:09 PM

Thinking of this question in terms of "fun factor" per dollar I would deduce that coilovers offer more of a return than your tune.

The tune is still a good idea and since you are likely running pig rich so you are kind of forced too do something about it to optimize what you have already done. However the returns you'll get out of the money you will spend won't be as noticeable or rewarding as suspension is.

No matter what RPM your engine is at your suspension is always working so having 5-10% more power isn't going to be as nice as a better handling car.

To answer your questions specifically:

1. I would get Coilovers. But then again I already have a flash and I already want better suspension so I am biased.

2. Not entirely sure on this one, but a quick search of the interweb shows Andys Autosport (which has a really good selection of Maxima parts) listing the Teins at $1510.50 without pillowball mounts. So have a look around and compare.

3. Depending on where you get your "kit" from I'm sure you'll be informed of what is included and what isn't. I'll let others chime in on the benefits of pillowball mounts, however as I understand it they offer greater camber adjustment yet are more of a harsh ride. The stock hats are more forgiving but not as adjustable.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:25 PM

jowo9, didn't you post or pm news that the Alberta population is about to bump from the inside-out? If that's right, there's something to be said for spending big now, before your discretionary funds become allocated to things like diapers and day care.

Off-topic, perhaps, but still on-topic in the bigger picture.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
jowo9, didn't you post or pm news that the Alberta population is about to bump from the inside-out? If that's right, there's something to be said for spending big now, before your discretionary funds become allocated to things like diapers and day care.

Off-topic, perhaps, but still on-topic in the bigger picture.
LOL ... well now if he had mentioned that little tidbit of info, then there would be no poll needed. Love the way you worded that John "Alberta population is about to bump from the inside-out" and discretionary funds being re-allocated ... so true

Best get those coilovers ordered soon!!!
Old 11-06-2010, 04:41 PM

Haha. Yeah, it's all true I just think that "spending big now" is easier said than done. My wife is all for saving current discretionary funds for later. Pssh. I don't know what THAT'S all about.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by jowo9
My wife is all for saving current discretionary funds for later. Pssh. I don't know what THAT'S all about.
I think you know exactly what that is...

...the new Odyssey is pretty hot. Be sure to get one with those powered side doors.

You are so doomed.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
I think you know exactly what that is...

...the new Odyssey is pretty hot. Be sure to get one with those powered side doors.

You are so doomed.
Hmm... Maybe I can convince Brian Catts to fab up some headers and a cat-back for my Odyssey...
Old 11-06-2010, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by jowo9
Hmm... Maybe I can convince Brian Catts to fab up some headers and a cat-back for my Odyssey...
Old 11-06-2010, 05:50 PM

Old 11-07-2010, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ghost_54
Coilovers simple don't like the sub zero temps. .
So you keep saying.

What coilovers did you have, and what was the problem with low temps?
Old 11-07-2010, 01:36 PM

No type of strut/damper likes low temperature. The fluid increases in viscosity with the decrease in temperature, turning it to a gel almost.

With respect to coilovers, some people say the winter will blow the dampers.

Everyone has their own "opinion" or "first-hand experience" or "my friend knew this one guy, his brother..." etc.

I put my D2 coilovers on last winter and they already had like 70k miles on them. One was blown when I got them but all the other ones held up throughout the whole winter. And midwest winters suck. If you're gonna get coilovers, just take necessary measures to protect the threads, and ride on them. They're rebuildable. Tein SS is one of the most well designed, well engineered models of coilovers in the limited market of the A33.

As far as what I'd do, just buy some when the snow melts and in the mean time get some more motor parts. That's actually what I'm doing right now...

Last edited by MoncefA33; 11-07-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:21 PM

Also keep in mind that Tein makes one of the top rated Rally racing suspension in the world! Think of the pounding and extreme cold temperatures these dampers endure from racing in the northern parts of Europe and NA. This technology trickles down into the models we use on the streets. I would say, without a doubt, these dampers are far superior than stock and could handle way more harsher conditions than you think!

Like I said before, just spray on some rust inhibitor to protect the threaded sleeve, seat locks and any other parts and you're good to go!

BTW, Couldn't find the "operating temperature range" in the manual or specs. Wonder why?
Old 11-09-2010, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
No type of strut/damper likes low temperature. The fluid increases in viscosity with the decrease in temperature, turning it to a gel almost..
is this why in the cold mornings struts sound like a squeaky spring matress?