5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ANyone upgrade their horn?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by trooplewis
Crap yes, that would be an expensive mistake. About $2000 total if I remember.

Think the airbags would deploy without the key being in the ignition and the ignition in the "on" position?
I have absolutely no idea. Is the system even connected to the battery? Does the impact sensor generate its own current to the airbags? What if the car were in neutral, with no key in the ignition, and careening down a hill into an embankment? Would the airbag go off? Is there a sensor in the driver seat, like there is in the passenger seat?

These are not questions I want answered by real-world experimentation.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
You can if you remove the grill and gently bend the wire harness bracket out of the way. And once you remove the grill, you'll realize how easy it is to take on & off, and then you'll wonder why you didn't do that in the first place.

BTW, that wire harness is for your front airbag impact sensor. With that in mind, you might want to disconnect the battery before banging around there with a socket wrench. It probably doesn't matter, but still...
Yeah, I planned on taking the grill off for round 2.

One thing I was thinking about was removing the covers for the mouth of the horns. The 350z horns and the Fiamm Freeway Blasts both do not have them so why should the PIAA need them. I think it may be holding back the volume. I was looking at the covers when I had them out of the box and it looks really easy to slide them off. Just gently pry the nub out from the back and slide them off. Worst case, it makes no difference and I slide them back on.

Hopefully I can do it this weekend.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:08 AM

You're right, other compact trumpet horns don't have that plastic cover.

Very good idea, Tom. Please let us know.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:03 AM

You're right, other compact trumpet horns don't have that plastic cover.

Very good idea, Tom. Please let us know.
I will try. I have a busy weekend ahead, but will try to fit it in.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:33 AM

On our 2000, grille is integrated with bumper, hence I ended up installing in the air dam, easier to get to. And bit more space.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:12 PM

I Is there a sensor in the driver seat, like there is in the passenger seat?
Wait, are you saying there is an airbag sensor for the passenger seat? Meaning it would be able to tell if someone is sitting there or not or even if there is a child or lighter person sitting there and therefore not activate the airbag? I always thought in our Maximas both bags always blew in a large enough accident.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by kbohip
Wait, are you saying there is an airbag sensor for the passenger seat? Meaning it would be able to tell if someone is sitting there or not or even if there is a child or lighter person sitting there and therefore not activate the airbag? I always thought in our Maximas both bags always blew in a large enough accident.
I think both airbags do deploy in an accident. On newer models, I believe you have the option of disabling the passenger air bag.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:55 PM

Yes, both bags blow up until the year (not sure which year) you get the warning that the passenger side airbag is inactive.

Back to horn topic.

I got my PIAA Sport horns from Amazon today, and installed them. Took about an hour. I used a little different install technique than the others have, in that I ditched both the original horn brackets and mounted the PIAA's directly to the hood latch assembly.

I was able to angle the horns down (I did remove the plastic horn cover on both) and it only works in this angle if you have the 400 and 500 horns on the specific sides that you see them on. I had them reversed at first and the angle was not right.

Here is the way the look with the grill removed

And here is what they look like from above, looking down at the hood latch assembly.

You can see I zip-tied the excess ground wire to keep it from flopping around against the condenser at speed. Also, I had to use two pairs of pliers to spread the ground terminal open more than it was to fit around the threads of the hood latch bolts.

Are they louder than stock? Hmmm, seems like it, but maybe not in terms of decibels.

More like the difference between a 5-year old girl screeching at you and a lumberjack yelling at you. The lumberjack gets a lot more respect...

The horns sound like they should be coming from an F-350, not a Datsun.

If anyone has any concerns about the way they horns are mounted above, please share them. I tried the hood latch, everything works correctly, nothing rubs, doesn't seem to be a downside to the installation.

Last edited by trooplewis; 11-04-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by trooplewis
Yes, both bags blow up until the year (not sure which year) you get the warning that the passenger side airbag is inactive.

Back to horn topic.

I got my PIAA Sport horns from Amazon today, and installed them. Took about an hour. I used a little different install technique than the others have, in that I ditched both the original horn brackets and mounted the PIAA's directly to the hood latch assembly.

I was able to angle the horns down (I did remove the plastic horn cover on both) and it only works in this angle if you have the 400 and 500 horns on the specific sides that you see them on. I had them reversed at first and the angle was not right.

Here is the way the look with the grill removed

And here is what they look like from above, looking down at the hood latch assembly.

You can see I zip-tied the excess ground wire to keep it from flopping around against the condenser at speed. Also, I had to use two pairs of pliers to spread the ground terminal open more than it was to fit around the threads of the hood latch bolts.

Are they louder than stock? Hmmm, seems like it, but maybe not in terms of decibels.

More like the difference between a 5-year old girl screeching at you and a lumberjack yelling at you. The lumberjack gets a lot more respect...

The horns sound like they should be coming from an F-350, not a Datsun.

If anyone has any concerns about the way they horns are mounted above, please share them. I tried the hood latch, everything works correctly, nothing rubs, doesn't seem to be a downside to the installation.
Nice job and it looks like a decent location. I may do the same.

I wound my extra ground tightly around the back of the horn and used the ground bolt located directly below the left horn in the picture.

I still wonder if the cover removed makes any difference.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:02 PM

This surprised me, Troop... using the hood latch brackets to mount the horns. That never occurred to me... I got locked into the mindset of using the original bolt holes. But this looks balanced and secure. So much so, that I kind of want to pop the grill and experiment with this placement, to see if I like it better. Certainly the power connections would have enough slack with this approach.

Thumbs up, man. Very well done.

You should have gone first, and saved me all this second-guessing.

This thread was fun. I'm enjoying my new sig photo.

Last edited by Rochester; 11-04-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:36 PM

Thanks Rochester.

I would have been very frustrated doing the job if you had not posted the steps to remove the grill.

It is not exactly an intuitive task.

Oh, and if you use the hood latch bolts to mount the PIAA's, you will end up taking off the plastic cover on the bottom of the horn. It sort of has to be done to make them point down.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:39 PM

This surprised me, Troop... using the hood latch brackets to mount the horns. That never occurred to me... I got locked into the mindset of using the original bolt holes. But this looks balanced and secure. So much so, that I kind of want to pop the grill and experiment with this placement, to see if I like it better. Certainly the power connections would have enough slack with this approach.

Thumbs up, man. Very well done.

You should have gone first, and saved me all this second-guessing.

This thread was fun. I'm enjoying my new sig photo.
Werd! I'm jealous that he has the best setup so far. Need do the same as you and redo mine.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:07 PM

I took a second look with trooplewis' configuration in mind, and was persuaded by near-freezing temperatures to say, "Good enough." I also think if you move the horns higher, they would be visible through the grill; (as black on black, but still...)

Anyway, any re-do plans I might have had are on the shelf for now.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I used the horns in traffic a few times now, and I'm starting to think the *effective* horn is the one that's annoying. These PIAA's aren't annoying, or particularly louder IMO. They sure sound nice, though.

Not sure where I'm going with this, but there it is anyway.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:20 PM

I took a second look with trooplewis' configuration in mind, and was persuaded by near-freezing temperatures to say, "Good enough." I also think if you move the horns higher, they would be visible through the grill; (as black on black, but still...)

Anyway, any re-do plans I might have had are on the shelf for now.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I used the horns in traffic a few times now, and I'm starting to think the *effective* horn is the one that's annoying. These PIAA's aren't annoying, or particularly louder IMO. They sure sound nice, though.

Not sure where I'm going with this, but there it is anyway.
I went out this AM and relocated them to TrooLewis's locations. The wind kicked up and was going right through me so I never tested the difference between covers and no covers. I thought about it and left them on. With the new spot, I think they are slightly louder than my last spot and I'm happy with my move.

I did leave the ground in the same spot I had them.

I think mine are annoying in a Euro kinda way.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:46 AM

Yesterday I had a small meet-up with another 5th genner. With both cars in the driveway, we repeatedly locked our cars with our respective key fobs, honking the horns. It was an interesting side-by-side comparison between these new PIAA horns and the OEM horns.

We both agreed that the PIAA's sound decidedly better, but that the volume seemed about the same.

And to my point earlier, the PIAA's could almost be described as a "pleasant" sound, whereas the OEM horns are somewhat annoying... and I can't help but think about the adage, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:28 AM

Yesterday I had a small meet-up with another 5th genner. With both cars in the driveway, we repeatedly locked our cars with our respective key fobs, honking the horns. It was an interesting side-by-side comparison between these new PIAA horns and the OEM horns.

We both agreed that the PIAA's sound decidedly better, but that the volume seemed about the same.

And to my point earlier, the PIAA's could almost be described as a "pleasant" sound, whereas the OEM horns are somewhat annoying... and I can't help but think about the adage, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
I agree. I'm happy I went with the higher pitch for it will stand out among other horns.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just swaped out the ugly booty horns for some i30's for $5. I like it!
Old 11-15-2010, 11:10 PM

I posted this on another thread in the 5th gen forum, but saw the link to this thread so I thought I'd post here too.

For louder horns, you could just leave the stock two in front of the radiator, and then add these:

They definitely get people's attention when I want (more of a "WTF was that" kind of reaction). Just make sure you use a relay (stock horn wire for signal, a fused wire from battery run under radiator support, ground to mounting bracket, and power to compressor tucked behind washer reservoir filler neck), or else you'll keep blowing your horn fuse after 2 seconds. They're also in the stock location for the alarm horn, so no one can tamper with it to turn off the extremely loud audible alarm. You can get cheap ones from various auto stores. I paid probably less than $50 for them 8 years ago or so. They are easily the loudest horns short of a legitimate train horn I've heard on a car.

(Disregard the stainless steel lines that don't connect to anything. They're for a more permanent PCV catch can install I never finished......)
Old 11-20-2010, 07:54 AM
Toolie

I installed my PIAA's on Friday. I just fastened them to the hood latch. Not the best spot, but now that I know what it looks like behind there, I will make some custom brackets so I can "hide" them a little better.

I agree this horn is not louder than stock, but it is a much more pleasant sound. The OEM horn on my car was sounding like a sick roadrunner. meep meep.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
I just fastened them to the hood latch. Not the best spot, but now that I know what it looks like behind there, I will make some custom brackets so I can "hide" them a little better.
I knew you would. Heck, I would have bet good money that you'd make your own brackets... and then paint them black with some space-aged product.

I want to see these brackets when you get to it. In fact, I bet there are at least 3 or 4 members right here in this thread who would drop you some paypal bucks for a set.

Do you think you'll be extending the power cords?
Old 11-20-2010, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Holmes
I posted this on another thread in the 5th gen forum, but saw the link to this thread so I thought I'd post here too.

For louder horns, you could just leave the stock two in front of the radiator, and then add these:

They definitely get people's attention when I want (more of a "WTF was that" kind of reaction). Just make sure you use a relay (stock horn wire for signal, a fused wire from battery run under radiator support, ground to mounting bracket, and power to compressor tucked behind washer reservoir filler neck), or else you'll keep blowing your horn fuse after 2 seconds. They're also in the stock location for the alarm horn, so no one can tamper with it to turn off the extremely loud audible alarm. You can get cheap ones from various auto stores. I paid probably less than $50 for them 8 years ago or so. They are easily the loudest horns short of a legitimate train horn I've heard on a car.

(Disregard the stainless steel lines that don't connect to anything. They're for a more permanent PCV catch can install I never finished......)
Nice install! I've always wanted to install these on one of my small cars like my former Mits Mirage.....Ironically I really like the factory Nissan horns they sound like the Plymouth Round Runner/Superbird Oem horns (Ole School).....but I'll more than like upgrade the 3rd gen with this setup! Again, nice install!
Old 11-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Toolie

I will definitely have to extend the power wires. But that won't be a big deal. I have plans to change all the black loom to blue eventually so I'll probably do that at the same time. It's starting to get chilly around here so the horns will probably stay put until the spring. Then I will do the relocate when I pull the bumper off to do the oil cooler install.

Oh, and completely off topic... My wife bought me a Nikon D90 today. woohoo, time to sell the D70s
Old 11-20-2010, 02:29 PM

ok I30 horns are def. alittle louder and sound better than the Maxima horns, i heard the 2 of them one after the other today when i was getting my tires changed. So if ur looking for a cheap upgrade just swipe some off a I30.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
Oh, and completely off topic... My wife bought me a Nikon D90 today. woohoo, time to sell the D70s
Ni-i-ice. What did you do to deserve that? Or what didn't you do? ("Ray, I'll buy you a new camera if you stop spending all your damn money on birds and cars!")

I'm still taking pictures with my old 4 megapixel Canon G3. You wouldn't know it by the quality of my photos, but that's because I've got a good bounce-flash.

Bounce-flash makes *all* the difference. Lighting > Camera, any day.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:52 PM

Ni-i-ice. What did you do to deserve that? Or what didn't you do? ("Ray, I'll buy you a new camera if you stop spending all your damn money on birds and cars!")

I'm still taking pictures with my old 4 megapixel Canon G3. You wouldn't know it by the quality of my photos, but that's because I've got a good bounce-flash.

Bounce-flash makes *all* the difference. Lighting > Camera, any day.
Lighting is key for a good photo, just like a good roll is essential for a good cheesesteak.

Yes, I'm hungry.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Brett
Those PIAA horns are actually almost exactly like the stock Z horn:

This is the video the kid posted above. He blows the stock horn right before the ferry horn, though.
Damn that horn was crazy would scare me if it was behind me like WTF!!
Old 12-09-2010, 08:29 AM

It's been a few weeks. Now I'm wishing these PIAA horns were louder.

Damn it.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Brett
1) Buy megaphone
2) Place in front of horns
3) Win?
No, Brett. Not a win.

I want the horn to be louder, but I don't want to do any special wiring. Let's see what someone slightly less sarcastic has to offer.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:41 AM

No, Brett. Not a win.

I want the horn to be louder, but I don't want to do any special wiring. Let's see what someone slightly less sarcastic has to offer.
Part of me wants to temporarily remove the covers to test, but it's too damn cold out.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:43 PM

alright so im switching my horn, no i narrowed it down between two horns and want to know which one is

PIAA sports horns 500/600hz OR Hella twin super tone horns

1) louder?
2) & Manlier?
Old 12-10-2010, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by MaxSE2001
alright so im switching my horn, no i narrowed it down between two horns and want to know which one is

PIAA sports horns 500/600hz OR Hella twin super tone horns

1) louder?
2) & Manlier?
See previous 150 posts.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:11 AM

On Friday, I was out swapping my high beam bulbs for better ones and decided to remove the PIAA horn covers to test the sound. After removing the covers, the sound is louder and crisper from the inside. I then went outside, with the hood closed, and hit the panic button while standing 5 ft away from the front of the car. Even though I knew I was hitting the panic button, the sound of the horn still startled me. I would say it is louder.

If you plan on taking the covers off, grab the cover by the backing piece instead of the bottom cover piece. I broke one cover trying to slide it off by trying to pull from the bottom cover while attempting to slide and and pry the "nub" from the hole locking the cover in place. It broke at the base of the "L". Then again, plastic will get brittle in the cold.

I am now happy with my horn choice. Loud, piercing and annoying.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:00 AM

Now that winter is over, I finally swung back around to this horn project. I had 2 things on my list: re-hang the horns so they were centered and not compromising the driver-side power cord by stretching it, and to remove the plastic cover over the flutes. The plastic cover actually comes right off. There's a small clip... lift it up and pull the cover off. No big deal.

In order to re-hang the horns, I bought a thick strip of aluminum, cut it into 3" sections, and drilled a hole into each end. Then I ground down the edges and painted them flat black. Finally, they were mounted at an appropriate angle for the horns to hang at the same height, using stainless steel hardware and plastic-lined lock-nuts.

Now that it's done, I'm very happy with the results. For one, I don't feel like I did a half-asz'd job anymore. And on another positive note (no pun), the horns are certainly louder without the plastic cover. All in all, I'm glad I re-did this.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:14 AM

Now that winter is over, I finally swung back around to this horn project. I had 2 things on my list: re-hang the horns so they were centered and not compromising the driver-side power cord by stretching it, and to remove the plastic cover over the flutes. The plastic cover actually comes right off. There's a small clip... lift it up and pull the cover off. No big deal.

In order to re-hang the horns, I bought a thick strip of aluminum, cut it into 3" sections, and drilled a hole into each end. Then I ground down the edges and painted them flat black. Finally, they were mounted at an appropriate angle for the horns to hang at the same height, using stainless steel hardware and plastic-lined lock-nuts.

Now that it's done, I'm very happy with the results. For one, I don't feel like I did a half-asz'd job anymore. And on another positive note (no pun), the horns are certainly louder without the plastic cover. All in all, I'm glad I re-did this.

Looks good. Glad you're happy with the results.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

John, I'm really, really surprised that you left those 2 rusty bolts. Is it only under the hood that you spruce up?
Old 05-01-2011, 08:55 PM

I would've spliced inlarger gauge wiring to flow more current and increase the output (dbs) of those horns......
Old 05-02-2011, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Reizy
I'm really, really surprised that you left those 2 rusty bolts.

Originally Posted by CMax03
I would've spliced in larger gauge wiring
Old 05-03-2011, 07:32 AM

Old 05-03-2011, 08:45 AM

I've been eye balling this thread for a while now. I had some extremely loud horns on a 67 Chevrolet Impala ( Yea...I'm more Muscle than Euro), that I sold like a fool , but I do not want the same set up on my Max.

I have some ideas now, but I tend to get carried away with things so I'm going to keep it simple.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:34 PM

Just stumbled across this thread the other day, and I just might have to order the PIAA horns. Amazon is gonna love us LoL

Quick Reply: ANyone upgrade their horn?