5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Spark Plug Seals -- Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 07:44 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Spark Plug Seals -- Need Help

I changed the valve cover gaskets and spark plug seals on my 2k. The question I have is which direction should the spark plug seals be facing?

I took my covers off yesterday, cleaned them up, and replaced the gaskets and spark plug seals. But can't remember which way they were facing on the rear cover after I took them off. I know...lame, but I just didn't think of taking a picture.

I ask because I know from experience with seals the u-cup side (grooved) is usually facing the liquid medium you wish to stop from leaking through. But when I installed the spark plug seals in this manner on the rear, they would not slide around the spark plug tubes. When I flipped them over where the angle side is down towards the cams the valve cover fit on just fine.

Here is a link to a picture of the spark plug seals.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/13276-s...957_1958_1962&

I'm not worried about the front cover because it was a direct fit and exactly the same as the ones which came out of the cover. Weird though, because the seals on the front cover were different than the ones on the rear cover? I did purchase them from two separate dealerships. It appears there are two different part numbers...

http://www.courtesyparts.com/kb_sear....php?keywords=[13276]+\(a33b&cPath=1956_1957_1958_1962

Help...I'm still waiting on intake parts and gaskets right now so I'd like to get an answer to this before Wednesday. I suppose I can remove the rear valve cover again and take a picture although I really wish not to have to do this.

Last edited by foodmanry; 10-10-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:46 AM

When you install the seal in the valve cover, the flat side of the seal will be towards the camshafts. And only tap them into the valve cover so that the seal is flush with the cover, not recessed.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:43 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by DennisMik
When you install the seal in the valve cover, the flat side of the seal will be towards the camshafts. And only tap them into the valve cover so that the seal is flush with the cover, not recessed.
Got it. Thanks! I'll pull the cover just to be sure I didn't push the seals in too far. Might as well take the time now, than deal with a mess later on due to a seal failure.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Valve Cover Leak

Well cr*p...got everything back together today and found my rear valve cover to be leaking. Most of the leaking is on the rear, passenger corner side.

I pulled the cover again and made sure the gasket was not damaged and the seal edge was clean on the gasket and the head. I didn't find any issues. I used RTV sealant when I installed the valve cover gasket as directed by the Haynes manual.

Maybe I'm missing something? The FSM does show the valve cover bolts and the spacers for the bolt holes should be replaced when removing and installing the valve cover. Should I do this? Is it really necessary? I don't think so because my front valve cover is not leaking and I replaced that gasket as well.

Maybe it is a bad valve cover gasket, or a bad valve cover? It is really leaking badly, almost as if not all of the bolts were tight.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:46 PM

I did not replace my bolts on my 97 max and didn't have any problems. If you have any doubts that your valve cover is warped or bent, take it off and hold a straight edge along the lip. Then there is the old line of make sure the gasket surfaces don't have any old gasket bits on them.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:25 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I did not replace my bolts on my 97 max and didn't have any problems. If you have any doubts that your valve cover is warped or bent, take it off and hold a straight edge along the lip. Then there is the old line of make sure the gasket surfaces don't have any old gasket bits on them.
Yes, I checked for any old gasket material on the sealing edge of the header and then double-checked for any on the gasket. Nothing on either...both really clean. The gasket did not show any damage either.

I'll start pulling it apart again today and see if I can narrow down the leaking and maybe take some pictures to post.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:12 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Fixed! It wasn't the valve cover as I had previously thought. It was actually leaking out of a bolt to the left of the valve cover, looks like the timing chain area. There were two loose bolts in that area, I tightened them, and started it back up and no leaks.

Very odd they were loose, one was so loose I could hand tighten.

Thanks for the help! At least now I can pull the intake manifold in about 20 minutes I've been taking it off and on so much.