5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

6spd TRANSMISSION Motor Mount Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 08:05 AM

6spd TRANSMISSION Motor Mount Replacement

Done a bit of searching, but found no real answers!

For those of us with 6spds, what are you guys replacing the TRANSMISSION Motor Mount with??

It's commonly known that the Ebay TRANSMISSION mounts listed for 99-01 (a32) won't fit the 5.5 6-spds.

Most guys are either going the ES route, or the Ebay 4-for-$95 option, and tossing the Transmission mount.
But I don't think ES makes a tranny mount anyway......

So - the question is: what is everybody replacing the Tranmission mount with?!?
And where are you getting it? DaveB is going to be my next phone call, if nobody has a better solution!

gr

**Where are you guys sourcing the Subframe bolt (engine crossmember) bushings, as replacements??? OEM as well??
I KNOW ES sells these -- but it's been reported that they don't always FIT properly.

Input please!!**

Last edited by ghostrider17; 09-22-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by 6spd02
what is you mileage like? my 02 6spd had 183K and i have not needed to get any engine mounts as of yet?
The OP is looking for product, not validation... which you can't do anyway considering you're still running OEM bushings after 183K miles, and somehow think they're fine.

Nate, I'm in on this thread to see if there are options beyond OEM. I didn't think there were.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-22-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:05 PM

81,500 on the clock. Orig. Owner.

I knew you'd be along to lurk me Rochester!

gr
Old 09-22-2010, 12:08 PM

OEM tranny mount is only source I am aware of. I'm running eBay mounts and a OEM tranny mount from dealer. I also just replaced the cross member bushings with just OEM.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by nismopc
OEM tranny mount is only source I am aware of. I'm running eBay mounts and a OEM tranny mount from dealer. I also just replaced the cross member bushings with just OEM.
Yeah seems that way, dunn'it?!

What'd you pay, and where'd you get it Nismo??

gr
Old 09-22-2010, 12:40 PM
Toolie

I replaced the es sub frame bushings on 6 cars. Never had fitment problems. Where did you here that?
Old 09-22-2010, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
I replaced the es sub frame bushings on 6 cars. Never had fitment problems. Where did you here that?
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ne-mounts.html

Post #2, he says it.

Perhaps I was generalizing too much -- but I've not seen anyone else refute this statement, or say otherwise as to their fitment.

If memory serves, the ES subframe bushings are $24, correct?
I guess I'll have to ask DaveB what these cost OEM, along with the Tranny Mount.

gr
Old 09-22-2010, 01:01 PM
Toolie

He had a problem because is washers were rusted to the bolts, I've seen that happen. All you do is make sure the washer turns freely before installing the bolt.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider17
Yeah seems that way, dunn'it?!

What'd you pay, and where'd you get it Nismo??

gr
#11220-5Y700

Local dealer actually had it in stock.

$99.43 @ Nissan North (www.nissanofcolumbus.com)
Old 09-22-2010, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
He had a problem because is washers were rusted to the bolts, I've seen that happen. All you do is make sure the washer turns freely before installing the bolt.
Got it - thanks!

#11220-5Y700

Local dealer actually had it in stock.

$99.43 @ Nissan North (www.nissanofcolumbus.com)
Oh dear GaWd.

Now I know why everyone is NOT buying OEM.
I know DaveB gives us a 20% discount, but even then....that's VERY expensive for one mount.
I think I'll replace this one LAST.

gr
Old 09-22-2010, 03:28 PM

I just went through this, and OE is the only option for the '02-'03 manual transmission mount. Other places may list a mount for the application, but it is an incorrect cross reference to the '95-'05 manual transmission mount.

For reference, the left mount is the correct replacement from Nissan, and the right mount is what RockAuto sent and is actually for the '95-'01:
Old 09-22-2010, 03:57 PM
My axles cry for mercy...

^You hit it^

For the 6speed guys, do NOT get the 6 speed transmission mount from anywhere other than the dealership. Every other place that I've checked so far has a "6 speed" mount in their listing, but in actuality, it is just the 95-01 5 speed mount.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:31 PM

Perfect!
Thanks guys -- great info, as always.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:21 AM

Why would you replace the entire transmission mount instead of just the bushing?

And is the entire mount + bushing kit what Nismopc referenced at $99?
Old 09-23-2010, 05:41 AM

I don't think Nissan offers just a BUSHING replacement, do they?!

Then, of course, we're back to the whole "pressing-out/pressing-in" the new bushings.
That adds a whole new level of b.s. to the DIY aspect of this project.

Rochester: ES doesn't make THESE bushings, right? It's only the Torque mounts they offer: front and rear, correcto?!

gr
Old 09-23-2010, 06:06 AM

I don't think Nissan offers just a BUSHING replacement, do they?!

Then, of course, we're back to the whole "pressing-out/pressing-in" the new bushings.
That adds a whole new level of b.s. to the DIY aspect of this project.

Rochester: ES doesn't make THESE bushings, right? It's only the Torque mounts they offer: front and rear, correcto?!

gr
That's correcto. ES only makes the torque mount bushings; (in black or red.)

If $100 buys you the tranny mount AND bushing already pressed in, that seems an appropriate cost; (all things being relative to the person making the purchase, of course.)

Honestly, I didn't realize the entire mount gets replaced. I thought it was just the bushing. So now that I'm looking at the mount itself, what's with that stack of metal bands on one end of the mount? I've always wondered what's the purpose behind that design.

On a side note, just imagine what a brand new transmission mount would do for a person suffering from the infamous 3rd gear crunch...
Old 09-23-2010, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
On a side note, just imagine what a brand new transmission mount would do for a person suffering from the infamous 3rd gear crunch...
Oh - I'm a SUFFERIN'!!!

I have a hard time believing a new MOUNT will cure THAT ill, but I'll remain hopeful for some improvement.

I'm thinking it's more bad syncros than anything -- but I'll let you all know if it improves after replacing the mount -- IF I do.

I've had 3rd gear crunch FOREVER!! I just drive around it these days.
What I AM going to do (for YOU Rochester) is likely buy ES Shifter bushings to help this malody.
That will probably be the ONLY bit of ES products I buy....unless of course, the OEM subframe bushings (engine mount beam) are more expensive than the ES line.

gr

Last edited by ghostrider17; 09-23-2010 at 06:12 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:14 AM

I have a hard time believing a new MOUNT will cure THAT ill, but I'll remain hopeful for some improvement.
Yes, of course it's the syncros. But every time I do something to stiffen things up (that's what she said), my 3rd gear crunch gets reduced, almost to where it never happens anymore. Seriously, it used to happen with such frequency that it was making me miserable.
When I put ES bushings in the Torque Mounts, it was significantly reduced.

When I put ES bushings underneath the shifter assembly, it was noticeably reduced.

And when I installed the NWP Torque Link, the 3rd gear crunch all but disappeared.
Replacing the transmission mount seems like it would zero right into that problem. I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised, Ghostrider.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:15 AM

It does not cure the 3rd gear crunch, unfortunately. That is a flaw in the design of the transmission synchro gears, etc.

The mount is a complete mount just like any other OEM replacement mount. Comes with bushing and shell. ES ONLY sells crossmember inserts. Not sure I understand why now that I've had the opportunity to inspect, and replace all 4 mounts. The passenger mount seems like it get's a lot of abuse. My new passenger mount was treated to 3M windoweld due to the severity of engine movement and drop when it was bad.

As for the multiple fin design, my ONLY thought to this is a anti-noise vibration design. I am no scientist or engineer but it makes sense to me that they were put there to absorb vibrations from the transmission. Could be way off on this but everyones entitled to there own assumptions.

ghostrider17: As a fyi, I do have my old mount that I treated to some 3M windoweld that I had leftover. It's potentially going to be for sale if interested. Just a thought ;-)

Last edited by nismopc; 09-23-2010 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:21 AM

It does not cure the 3rd gear crunch, unfortunately. That is a flaw in the design of the transmission synchro gears, etc.
Nothing is a "cure", but reducing engine/transmission play makes a huge difference.

So if the side mounts (front end and firewall) are called "torque mounts", and the driver's side is called the "transmission mount", what do you call the passenger side mount?
Old 09-23-2010, 06:24 AM

Nothing is a "cure", but reducing engine/transmission play makes a huge difference.

So if the side mounts (front end and firewall) are called "torque mounts", and the driver's side is called the "transmission mount", what do you call the passenger side mount?
Front or right-side insulator. (or passenger mount)
Old 09-23-2010, 06:25 AM

I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised, Ghostrider.
Damn you and your ES bushings, sir!!
I'm just hoping that once I pull the Mounts, that they're DESTROYED, so then I KNOW where the problem was.
I think no matter what shape they're in, it'll still be an improvement.
I think I REALLY messed-up my car when I was lowered on Progress springs.

ghostrider17: As a fyi, I do have my old mount that I treated to some 3M windoweld that I had leftover. It's potentially going to be for sale if interested. Just a thought ;-)
Thanks Nismo -- but I think I'd rather go with a new one, just to be safe and do the "replace it, and forget it" route.
Very kind of you!
Heh - and I'll likely have a spare Tranny mount for sale soon, for an AUTO.
Lucky bastards.

gr

Last edited by ghostrider17; 09-23-2010 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:31 AM

Front or right-side insulator. (or passenger mount)
I'm going to go with "passenger mount"... it's easier to say. Thanks, nismopc.

On a related topic... ES makes a bushing replacement for the rear control arm (or rear trailing arm, pick your poison.) However, by this reasoning with the transmission mount, if I were to look for OEM replacement would that also be hardware with the OEM bushing already pressed in?

If so, the point of that question is... which to do?
  1. Replace the rear arm with OEM hardware and bushing?
  2. Just replace the bushing with ES polyurethane?
  3. Buy the OEM hardware, and swap out the bushing?
Old 09-23-2010, 06:37 AM

I'm going to go with "passenger mount"... it's easier to say. Thanks, nismopc.
Oddly enough, I just found this online as a description.

"Brand New OEM Quality Front Right Side by Timing Cover Engine Motor Mount"
Seems like a lot to say instead of passenger mount.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:15 AM

I wouldn't have known which side the Timing cover was on?!?

Come to think of it.....what the he]] is a timing cover?!?!?

it covers timing?!?!?

gr
Old 09-24-2010, 09:15 AM

Since I just spent 20 mins searching for this, I thought I'd post:

The parts schematic for the Engine Mounts is located under (EM) ENGINE ASSEMBLY: removal and installation, pg. 69, in the FSM.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/2003/em.pdf

And just to confirm: $89.92 for the LH Engine Mount (11220-5Y700) from DaveB, and the Crossmember (subframe) bushings are $5.70 ea. x2, and $3.40 ea. x2.

gr

Last edited by ghostrider17; 09-24-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:28 PM

I have what is probably a dumb question. I'm almost positive my passenger side motor mount is toast, but I also wonder about the transmission mounts. The reason why is that when I'm say, driving through a parking lot in 2nd gear and I let off and then lightly step back on the gas, the drive train feels loose to me for lack of a better term. It almost feels like the engine and transmission is being held in by strong rubber bands. It just feels like it's not nearly as tight as it could be. It seems to get worse if the A/C is running too.

One thing I've done is ordered a key fob sized camcorder. I'm going to tape it in the engine compartment and face it toward the passenger side motor mount to see how much movement I'm getting there while driving. I can't wait until this thing comes in so I can finally start trying to fix this problem! I can see this little camera coming in handy for diagnosing all sorts of strange noises that are hard to find.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Old 10-04-2010, 10:36 PM

Yes, of course it's the syncros. But every time I do something to stiffen things up (that's what she said), my 3rd gear crunch gets reduced, almost to where it never happens anymore. Seriously, it used to happen with such frequency that it was making me miserable.
When I put ES bushings in the Torque Mounts, it was significantly reduced.

When I put ES bushings underneath the shifter assembly, it was noticeably reduced.

And when I installed the NWP Torque Link, the 3rd gear crunch all but disappeared.
Replacing the transmission mount seems like it would zero right into that problem. I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised, Ghostrider.
Rochester, I'm giving some serious consideration to the ES bushings for my "torque mounts" now after watching my engine moving around in my video from the other thread. The thing is though I've read from other members here that the ES bushings make the car a lot rougher at idle. Is this true? If so, is it THAT bad?
Old 10-05-2010, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by kbohip
Rochester, I'm giving some serious consideration to the ES bushings for my "torque mounts" now after watching my engine moving around in my video from the other thread. The thing is though I've read from other members here that the ES bushings make the car a lot rougher at idle. Is this true? If so, is it THAT bad?
I know you want a direct answer, but like many mods, opinions on this will vary because of personal preferences and automotive values.

All I can relate is my experience. I was eyes-wide-open shocked at how much NVH the ES bushings introduced. But I also immediately recognized the driving benefits of having the engine buttoned down. Soon, I learned to appreciate the NVH as feeling more in-tune with the car.

And after a little while, it becomes the new normal...

...until you install the NWP Torque Link Connector.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

so are the torque mounts the same thing as motor mounts? and this is what you replace the bushings with?

what do you replace the side mounts with?

B

Last edited by NissanMan97; 10-05-2010 at 05:19 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by NissanMan97
so are the torque mounts the same thing as motor mounts? and this is what you replace the bushings with?

what do you replace the side mounts with?
There are 4 motor mounts. These are the terms I've been using:
(2) Torque Mounts (firewall & front end). These are the sides of the engine.
(1) Passenger Mount (passenger side). This is the front of the engine.
(1) Transmission Mount (driver side). This is the back of the engine.
Remember, the engine is aligned transversely in the engine bay of the Maxima.

ES makes torque mount inserts (bushings) in solid polyurethane. At this time, only Nissan makes replacements for the Passenger and Transmission mounts bushings... and for those, you buy the entire mount with the bushing already pressed in.

Similarly, the LCA (lower control arms) are typically sold as a kit, with bushings already pressed in. However, ES also sells solid polyurethane LCA bushings to press into the OEM hardware, and a bushing for your rear control arm. (Or "rear trailing arm", I haven't figured out the right terminology there yet.)

I think that next Spring I'm going to have my passenger and tranny mounts replaced. I'm learning about all this just like you are. This has been a good thread.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-05-2010 at 06:08 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:54 AM

There are 4 motor mounts. These are the terms I've been using:
(2) Torque Mounts (firewall & front end). These are the sides of the engine.
(1) Passenger Mount (passenger side). This is the front of the engine.
(1) Transmission Mount (driver side). This is the back of the engine.
Remember, the engine is aligned transversely in the engine bay of the Maxima.

ES makes torque mount inserts (bushings) in solid polyurethane. At this time, only Nissan makes replacements for the Passenger and Transmission mounts bushings... and for those, you buy the entire mount with the bushing already pressed in.
ahhhh...

so the parts i showed are for the front and firewall mounts "torque mounts", which are connected to the crossmember correct?

B
Old 10-05-2010, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by NissanMan97
so the parts i showed are for the front and firewall mounts "torque mounts", which are connected to the crossmember correct?
Correct.

As to red vs. blue... I've read where ES bushings can cause a squeaking sound. Supposedly, that's more likely with the red bushings than the black ones. The black ones have graphite in the compound which reduces the squeaking.

Or so goes the urban myth. I really don't know one way or the other.

Mine don't squeak, as far as I know. I kind of think red would look pretty cool in the RCA from behind the car. Of course, you'd have be be down pretty low.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:02 AM

Correct.

As to red vs. blue... I've read where ES bushings can cause a squeaking sound. Supposedly, that's more likely with the red bushings than the black ones. The black ones have graphite in the compound which reduces the squeaking.

Or so goes the urban myth. I really don't know one way or the other.

Mine don't squeak, as far as I know. I kind of think red would look pretty cool in the RCA from behind the car. Of course, you'd have be be down pretty low.
cool.

ive heard the red vs black many times. ive also heard the urban myth which is why i got black. it says on EnergySuspensionParts.com that the blacks have graphite in them so i figured there has to be part truth in it.

red would have looked cool in the torque mounts just because they are huge and you have that nice subtle red theme going on

B
Old 10-05-2010, 11:44 AM

I know you want a direct answer, but like many mods, opinions on this will vary because of personal preferences and automotive values.

All I can relate is my experience. I was eyes-wide-open shocked at how much NVH the ES bushings introduced. But I also immediately recognized the driving benefits of having the engine buttoned down. Soon, I learned to appreciate the NVH as feeling more in-tune with the car.

And after a little while, it becomes the new normal...

...until you install the NWP Torque Link Connector.
Thanks for the info Rochester, and sorry that you had to repeat yourself in two threads. Right now my car is nice and smooth as far as NVH goes, but the drivetrain literally feels like it's being held in by glorified rubber bands. If I don't take off from a stop light just right for instance by keeping the revs high enough I can actually feel the engine moving back and forth. Of course in my video you can see this when I first take off from the stoplight. I also notice when I'm in second gear at low revs and I'm lightly on and off the throttle the engine is moving around a ton.

The one thing I don't like about the ES bushings is I'd have to have a press to get them into the old mounts, not to mention the time consuming process of getting the stock bushings out. Decisions, decisions.