5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Transmission FAILURES

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 02:55 PM

Transmission FAILURES

I've searched the site and found no solution to these problems.

I believe I have a bad sensor or shortage somewhere that is causing my transmissions to fail. The last two transmissions went out the same way....slow 1-2 shifts. Also, another funny thing is happening; if I hit it real hard from a stop and come to another stop.....its stuck in 3rd gear (i still have reverse tho)...cured by turning the car off and back on again. I hit a speed bump too hard....came to a stop...its stuck in 3rd gear, also cured by turning the car off and back on again. I was driving in the rain and hit a puddle....I immediately lost OD and was stuck in 3rd again...LOL.

Now about the buzzing. The buzzing is coming from the solenoid valve control harness sensor (FSM)...it sounds like clippers LOL. It only buzzes in the "PARK" position. If I unplug the sensor it still buzzes but not as loud. I tried swapping the plug thinking it was the connector. It still does the same thing.

I also have 2 codes P0500 and P1574. My speedometer just stopped working altogether. I've replaced the cluster; it still does not work.

My TC is also dying. It does not lock up when it's supposed to and in 3rd gear, when my car hits 3400rpm...it drops back down to 3100rpm.

I also have tranny flaring when I hit it and it downshifts.

Hill's Garage just put another HD2 shift kit in my car. But I dont want to risk this transmission without fixing the current problem first.

See video below for the buzzing noise. This is the problem that I really want to solve and the speed sensor problem. Any help is VERY appreciated. Thank You.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZlSTrMcpK4
Old 09-15-2010, 03:22 PM

Your trans sucks

Nice manicure

Damaged TCM?
Old 09-15-2010, 03:24 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Replace the speed sensor, not sure about the buzzing. Have you had a transmission shop try and diagnose the problem? Are you putting in used transmissions or having yours rebuilt?
Old 09-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Cletus

holy crap looks whos back!!!
4 why?

i gave you a bunch of advice last time and cant remember what it was...TCM?

i also recall recommending that you take it to a REAL transmission shop...and that you beat it up and tried to drive it like a manual (shifting gears at high RPM/load) which (helped) cause the failure

Last edited by SoonerFan; 09-15-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:29 PM

yo nene hit up car-parts for another trans yo... i've never had any sound like that in all my 8 trasmissions
Old 09-15-2010, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by SoonerFan
holy crap looks whos back!!!
4 why?

i gave you a bunch of advice last time and cant remember what it was...TCM?

i also recall recommending that you take it to a REAL transmission shop...and that you beat it up and tried to drive it like a manual (shifting gears at high RPM/load) which (helped) cause the failure
problem fixed ...... cmon man
Old 09-15-2010, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
i've never had any sound like that in all my 8 trasmissions
8 trannies???
Old 09-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Cletus

problem fixed ...... cmon man
Old 09-15-2010, 07:29 PM

Hey Miss. Stop driving your car like you stole it! We know how you get down! Poor car! LOL! The buzzing only should occur when shifting from Park to any drive gear or a drive gear to Park, and then only make the noise for a second. Something is definately wrong. It is the solenoid valve control making all of that noise. I'm baffled! P0500 is a malfunction in the Speed Sensor and P1574 is a fault in the ASCD (Automatic Speed Control Device),cruise control. Let us know what's going on!
Old 09-15-2010, 08:16 PM

Nene, I also has the auto trans fails! I am geting p0731,P0732 Gear ratio fault codes. I think change your speed sensor and see if you codes go away. I have no reverse and my car is stuck in gear.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by "Bran Da Man"
Hey Miss. Stop driving your car like you stole it! We know how you get down! Poor car! LOL! The buzzing only should occur when shifting from Park to any drive gear or a drive gear to Park, and then only make the noise for a second. Something is definately wrong. It is the solenoid valve control making all of that noise. I'm baffled! P0500 is a malfunction in the Speed Sensor and P1574 is a fault in the ASCD (Automatic Speed Control Device),cruise control. Let us know what's going on!
Lol. Hey stranger....gimme ur tranny with 10k miles on it lls. I also have P0740 ....lol.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:44 PM

yo nene hit up car-parts for another trans yo... i've never had any sound like that in all my 8 trasmissions
Lol. I already have another trans waitin to be dropped in....its in my trunk.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:48 PM

Hey sooner.....long time no argue..lol.

I replaced the tcm like 2 years ago. It didn't work; but ill replace it again. I also haven't shifted my car in a long time. But, if frank from hills garage can't figure it out....its goin to a-1 transmissions in pasadena
Old 09-15-2010, 08:49 PM

Hey sooner.....long time no argue..lol.

I replaced the tcm like 2 years ago. It didn't work; but ill replace it again. I also haven't shifted my car in a long time. But, if frank from hills garage can't figure it out....its goin to a-1 transmissions in pasadena
Old 09-15-2010, 08:52 PM

I buy the used trannies from the junkyard. I believe I'm gettin the tranny rebuilt in january with high performance clutches. $1600.

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Replace the speed sensor, not sure about the buzzing. Have you had a transmission shop try and diagnose the problem? Are you putting in used transmissions or having yours rebuilt?
Old 09-15-2010, 10:51 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by OneSexyLeo
I buy the used trannies from the junkyard. I believe I'm gettin the tranny rebuilt in january with high performance clutches. $1600.
Make sure the shop goes through the valve body too, along with checking all the shift solenoids and for proper line pressure. Heavy duty clutch packs won't help you much if there are problems elsewhere.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:15 AM

Wow 8 transmissions.....are you serious???? I just replaced mines from carparts.com...I hope I dont encounter his problem again
Old 09-16-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by AngryHalfbreed72
Wow 8 transmissions.....are you serious???? I just replaced mines from carparts.com...I hope I dont encounter his problem again
lol...im on my 5th one
Old 09-16-2010, 11:38 AM

i'm sorry i lol'd, but i know i'm probably going to need one soon for lol'n..sucks though
Old 09-16-2010, 12:50 PM

Lol. Hey stranger....gimme ur tranny with 10k miles on it lls. I also have P0740 ....lol.
You Coo Coo for Cocoa Puffs! You ain't tearing my **** up in 13 seconds!
Old 10-14-2010, 09:09 PM

Damn that is a crazy A$$ noise had the same like problems but did a rebuild no time to search and wait for tranny to arrive was going to do that TransGo Kit but said no for now my cash went hella low when the tranny F33ked Up !!Good Luck!!
Old 10-14-2010, 11:02 PM

I have had a lot of the same things happen. Im on my third tranny in 113k miles.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:43 AM

lol...im on my 5th one
Seriously? If so, you are a aweful driver.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:13 PM

This is not a truck forum, but if it was, I'd ask what are you towing?

Or do you ride the brakes while driving?

Heat is the #1 cause of transmission failure.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:35 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

This may be too logical for the OP, but...buy a maxima with a manual transmission if you wish to drive it as such...just saying...

You keep f-ing yourself with the way you drive...
Old 10-16-2010, 05:52 PM

Is it an issue to up/downshift the automatic trannies in these cars? I'm not familiar with the Nissan transmission design but on V8 Chevys, many people regularly downshift (myself included) on hills without any problems. Saves the need to constantly brake going downhill.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by foodmanry
This may be too logical for the OP, but...buy a maxima with a manual transmission if you wish to drive it as such...just saying...
With the GM 6L80E, people are running crazy amounts of power through them (500+RWHP) and shifting on the stock transmission without many problems. It's used in many applications from the Yukon trucks to the Corvette and seems to hold up for both heavy duty use in the trucks and for performance applications.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_6L80_transmission

When is it acceptable to shift an automatic transmission and when is it not? Certain cars seem to have issues when downshifting, while others seem to hold up fine. I'm confused
Old 10-16-2010, 11:08 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by maximadudeIIs
Is it an issue to up/downshift the automatic trannies in these cars? I'm not familiar with the Nissan transmission design but on V8 Chevys, many people regularly downshift (myself included) on hills without any problems. Saves the need to constantly brake going downhill.
Downshifting into first from higher speeds is pretty tough on the clutch packs, otherwise up and down manually won't hurt.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:21 AM

Downshifting into first from higher speeds is pretty tough on the clutch packs, otherwise up and down manually won't hurt.
Thanks. I usually downshift into 3rd going down steep hills to save the brakes. Otherwise the car is going too fast in D and as a result, I take it out of OD.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:57 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Thanks. I usually downshift into 3rd going down steep hills to save the brakes. Otherwise the car is going too fast in D and as a result, I take it out of OD.
Just FYI...brakes are cheaper than the transmission.

Not that downshifting to 3rd when going down steep hills hurts anything, but since brakes are about the cheapest item to service on our cars, not sure I'd use saving them as the rational!
Old 10-17-2010, 01:35 PM

Just FYI...brakes are cheaper than the transmission.

Not that downshifting to 3rd when going down steep hills hurts anything, but since brakes are about the cheapest item to service on our cars, not sure I'd use saving them as the rational!
So I guess it shouldn't be a problem...and yes, brakes are cheaper than the tranny.

Did the OP ever get this resolved?
Old 10-17-2010, 07:21 PM

With the GM 6L80E, people are running crazy amounts of power through them (500+RWHP) and shifting on the stock transmission without many problems. It's used in many applications from the Yukon trucks to the Corvette and seems to hold up for both heavy duty use in the trucks and for performance applications.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_6L80_transmission

When is it acceptable to shift an automatic transmission and when is it not? Certain cars seem to have issues when downshifting, while others seem to hold up fine. I'm confused
That's great but a Maxima does not have a 6L80E transmission... :metalmax:
Old 10-17-2010, 07:24 PM

My tranny would get stuck in first after hitting potholes. Id have to pull over and restart the car to get it going.Turned out to be the sensor that is right by the drivers side axle on the tranny.Pulled it off a regular 3.0 5th gen max and works fine now.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by CraigSE
That's great but a Maxima does not have a 6L80E transmission... :metalmax:
I know, just saying that people shift the 6l80E without problems. Someone has run 723RWHP through a stock transmission and have it live on a Pontiac G8, and others have run 500+RWHP on Camaros without any issues.

Source: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/automa...stions-ya.html
Old 10-17-2010, 09:26 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Fantastic...but it doesn't have much to do with this thread. That tranny you are talking about is nowhere near the same as a 5.5 gen tranny; total apples and oranges...

I know, just saying that people shift the 6l80E without problems. Someone has run 723RWHP through a stock transmission and have it live on a Pontiac G8, and others have run 500+RWHP on Camaros without any issues.

Source: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/automa...stions-ya.html
Old 10-18-2010, 04:18 PM

Are the auto 5th gen trannys that bad?
Old 10-18-2010, 08:37 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by Shift_GRIND
Are the auto 5th gen trannys that bad?
Depends...it seems like a lot of it is based on the luck of the draw. The 5.5 gen auto trannys seem to be worse than the 5th gen.

I haven't had any issues with my 5th gen auto tranny except the occasional stuck in 3rd and wouldn't go into overdrive. This was due to overheating.

I do have a valvebody stage II mod in mine since about 35,000 miles. I'm not at 205,000 miles and still going strong. I've only flushed it two times with mobil 1 synthetic ATF. Last time was about 70,000 miles ago. Fluid still looks cherry red when I checked it yesterday.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:18 PM

Friends, I know of quite a lot of folks who traded in their maximas (my own colleagues at work, we all bought 00 maximas) becoz of lack of maintainence with their trannies. Trannies are in general weak links in a vehicle. That is my take on automobiles.

Now, I have 187K on my tranny and it runs just fine. I have replaced fluids, dropped pan, replaced magnets, tried all kinds of soups and in the end I realized there is one thing that will take a tranny from 100K to 200K a) you need to be nice to it, if you are an assshole doing WOTs, it will die on you b) preventive maintaince is a must, drains/fills or flushes are a must.

Good luck..
Old 10-18-2010, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Love_00_Max
Friends, I know of quite a lot of folks who traded in their maximas (my own colleagues at work, we all bought 00 maximas) becoz of lack of maintainence with their trannies. Trannies are in general weak links in a vehicle. That is my take on automobiles.

Now, I have 187K on my tranny and it runs just fine. I have replaced fluids, dropped pan, replaced magnets, tried all kinds of soups and in the end I realized there is one thing that will take a tranny from 100K to 200K a) you need to be nice to it, if you are an assshole doing WOTs, it will die on you b) preventive maintaince is a must, drains/fills or flushes are a must.

Good luck..
+1

I wonder how many folks here with trannys that have died have their 1/4 mile time posted on the Track and Times forum.

If you want to play boy racer, be prepared to pay the pit crew.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by trooplewis
+1

I wonder how many folks here with trannys that have died have their 1/4 mile time posted on the Track and Times forum.

If you want to play boy racer, be prepared to pay the pit crew.
Well, that's probably why. The OP appears to be a drag racer...