5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ported UIM and LIM FTW gains

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 01:39 PM

ported UIM and LIM FTW gains

So i decided since i havent done anything lately to the car and $ is tight i would port the manifold ports. I have been thinking of doing this but never had time til this week. I didnt take pics either cause my hands were way dirty.
First i did the upper. I enlarged the openings that met the lower intake to gasket size and cleaned upthe inside of the ports as well (casting flash, bumps and such).
Then i did the lower. On lower were in meets the upper intake the gasket and port are same size. But there is a little bump on each port just below the surface. I took a die grinder and smoothed them all out and cleaned again flashing and such.
On the lower were it meets the head there is much room for improvement as the port is significantly smaller than the gasket and head port. Again ported it. clean all imperfections and opened to the size of the gasket.

A few noteables. The lower intake and head ports had some good amount of carbon buildup. So i cleaned the head ports as well (no porting) and all was down to bare metal.

Thoughts: I know this thread is worthless with out pics or dyno #s but i def can tell the difference. Tip in is incredible, and in low speed driving this brought back the pep from removing the vias. The car has always pulled hard but now it pulls harder. With just the upper ported last night i have a friend with a WRX and "driving with him" i pulled him by a car. Now the car feels like it just wants to go at anytime.
Took me about as day to do everything. I know you want dyno #s but all i can say is if you have time and the means to do this..DO IT.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:52 PM

I have a similar setup but I installed everything at once...ported upper and lower and spacers and the ssim. LOL. I felt gains but I cant say where they came from ya know? I should dyno this setup. I need to send my ecu to TS too...so much to do so little $$. lol
Old 09-15-2010, 01:53 PM

how did you port all the way inside the manifold? or did you just widen up the bottom portion of the manifold were the UIM and the LIM meet?
...forgive me...im gonna be a naysayer and say it was pointless since the inside of the manifold is still the same size.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by jeff5347
So i decided since i havent done anything lately to the car and $ is tight i would port the manifold ports. I have been thinking of doing this but never had time til this week. I didnt take pics either cause my hands were way dirty.
First i did the upper. I enlarged the openings that met the lower intake to gasket size and cleaned upthe inside of the ports as well (casting flash, bumps and such).
Then i did the lower. On lower were in meets the upper intake the gasket and port are same size. But there is a little bump on each port just below the surface. I took a die grinder and smoothed them all out and cleaned again flashing and such.
On the lower were it meets the head there is much room for improvement as the port is significantly smaller than the gasket and head port. Again ported it. clean all imperfections and opened to the size of the gasket.

A few noteables. The lower intake and head ports had some good amount of carbon buildup. So i cleaned the head ports as well (no porting) and all was down to bare metal.

Thoughts: I know this thread is worthless with out pics or dyno #s but i def can tell the difference. Tip in is incredible, and in low speed driving this brought back the pep from removing the vias. The car has always pulled hard but now it pulls harder. With just the upper ported last night i have a friend with a WRX and "driving with him" i pulled him by a car. Now the car feels like it just wants to go at anytime.
Took me about as day to do everything. I know you want dyno #s but all i can say is if you have time and the means to do this..DO IT.
Do you have stock rev limiter?
Old 09-15-2010, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by 5 ltr. beater
how did you port all the way inside the manifold? or did you just widen up the bottom portion of the manifold were the UIM and the LIM meet?
...forgive me...im gonna be a naysayer and say it was pointless since the inside of the manifold is still the same size.
the die grinder is slendler and long. i didnt get alllll the way in the upper as it is quite long but on the lower i did. like i said on the lower i widened it all the way thru plus you can naysay but i can feel the proof and it wasnt in my head.

Originally Posted by tookrzy4u192
Do you have stock rev limiter?
yea no piggyback or ecu work done yet.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:19 PM

lets wait til dyno to be excited... what tools did you use to do the work?
Old 09-15-2010, 02:23 PM

I'll take on this task one day
Old 09-15-2010, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
lets wait til dyno to be excited... what tools did you use to do the work?
die grinder wit hthe bullet shaped grinder and dremel tool with a tiny cylinderical cutter to go slower with
Old 09-15-2010, 02:50 PM

you can naysay but i can feel the proof and it wasnt in my head.
...i can feel a diffrence in performance when i drive on a cold night vs. a hot day...
Old 09-15-2010, 02:53 PM
You embarrass me.

Sounds good Jeff, any pics in process?
Old 09-15-2010, 02:55 PM

cool.. ill be on it one of these mondays... dyno day coming soon for me too
Old 09-15-2010, 03:30 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Anything you can do to reduce turbulence from the throttle body to the valves is always good. Match porting is a good way to improve performance.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Anything you can do to reduce turbulence from the throttle body to the valves is always good. Match porting is a good way to improve performance.
Thank you Scott, the porting is something i learned many years ago the benefits of on my 68 camaro
Old 09-15-2010, 03:52 PM

one thing i want to tackle when i store the max this winter..
anyone who took the time to take pics when they did this please post.

Jeff you said you port matched the UIM to the LIM and open up the size of the gasket a little bit as well ? im guessing when i get NWP spacers i will have to this as well?
Old 09-15-2010, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by blue_magicSE

Jeff you said you port matched the UIM to the LIM and open up the size of the gasket a little bit as well ? im guessing when i get NWP spacers i will have to this as well?
you dont "have" to... jeff just did it in hopes for extra HP
Old 09-15-2010, 09:28 PM

meet up with me and we'll see if there is any real gains lol
Old 09-15-2010, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by scarface4522
Document this please.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:57 AM

Thoughts: I know this thread is worthless with out pics or dyno #s but i def can tell the difference.
Originally Posted by 5 ltr. beater
Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
lets wait til dyno to be excited...
Originally Posted by Scottwax
Jeff, Scott's 100% on here. Anything you can do to increase air flow, smooth air flow, will give you throttle response and more power. An engine is, afterall, simply a big ole air pump. The more air you can get in, and get out, smoothly, the more power it will make. That's oversimplifying the A/F ratio importance, but for the sake of your "mod", it'll suffice.

I don't need dyno numbers to tell me what you're feeling is spot-on. 5ltr, while yes, the runners stay the same size, Jeff has reduced the turbulence, and therefor drag, of the air charge entering his combustion chamber. That's where the gains come from.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by blue_magicSE

no no no i didnt do any work to the gasket itself. i just opened the ports to the size of the gasket. the head to lower is a good deal smaller than the gasket. so i took a scribe and trtaced on the lim how big the gasket holes were and opened them to that size, same for were the upper im meets the lower im. Also like i said i had some carbon buildup so i know that caused turbulence. i think that combined with the porting made the engine fell like if someone covered your mouth and said breath vs breathing thru your mouth and nose at the same time, much more airflow...

Originally Posted by scarface4522
bring it on Scarface, i live my life a quarter mile at a time
Old 09-16-2010, 06:25 AM

I have a question for anyone that may know or has done this. SInce i have the tools, ive read that since doing the ssim will not affect low end power since i have the vias delete already. My question is if this is true or will it kill low end even more. kinda want to do it but i know i cant go back once its done so i want to see if anyone has it. also like stated before i have no piggyback so my redline, which i never go to anyways, hasnt changed..so would this be worthless to do?
I keep thinking of new things do do... i just love making this better and better
Old 09-16-2010, 01:21 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Here is a dyno of stock, block plate only and SSIM:

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/eng...-vs-stock.html
Old 09-16-2010, 04:37 PM
My axles cry for mercy...

Nice thread.

I've been telling people for a while now that a bone stock VQ35 (engine wise) flows more than any stock nissan IM can keep up with. This is the exact reason why porting our IM will free up power. This is also the reason why the 00VI doesnt make as much power on a VQ35 as people thought it was. Even though the actual design of the IM is very good, the ports are just way too small to keep up. Just look at the dek TB compared to any 3.5 TB.

Just like someone said before, breath through just your nose, then open your mouth wide and breath.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by BlackMacks
I don't need dyno numbers to tell me what you're feeling is spot-on. 5ltr, while yes, the runners stay the same size, Jeff has reduced the turbulence, and therefor drag, of the air charge entering his combustion chamber. That's where the gains come from.
undortunately i dont do **** dyno.. i need to see the gains not just "feel" em