5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Transmission problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 09:41 AM

Transmission problem?

ive done research and i see that its common for us 2002 se auto maximas to have the 2-3 transmission slip. well mines gotten alot worse to the point where it revs up anotha 1k rpms and then shifts. but it only happens if im above 1800 rpms. if im below then theres no slip. and the downshifting of the car is terrible. funny thing tho, everytime now when im on the highway romping on the gas pedal and beating the snot out of it and i come off the highway and do normal driving, ill lose 1st gear for a few minutes. also when first gear comes back the 2-3 slip is minor and quick. it only jumps like 200 rpms. and its drives like that until i shut the car off and let it sit for a few minutes then its back to the bad slipping again...any1 have an exact answer for me or a logical one at least??...i plan on buying a used tranny shortly and have been trying to order the transgo shift kit hd-2 and a b&m tranny cooler from summit racing
Part #s- B&M 70274
- TRG-RE4F04B-HD2
upon all my research i see that this is what people are using for there 5.5 gens. the representatives keep saying these parts will not fit my car. Any1 care to join in on this thread please do.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Fluid level and condition?

I had 2-3 slip but none of the other symptoms you state. Transgo fixed mine. This is what I got. Works for my 02.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:43 AM

i had the fluid flushed out 3000 miles ago so its all brand new
Old 09-13-2010, 12:17 PM

im assuming u used a tranny cooler as well too. which one did u go with?
Old 09-13-2010, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Reizy
Fluid level and condition?

I had 2-3 slip but none of the other symptoms you state. Transgo fixed mine. This is what I got. Works for my 02.

That's the heavy duty kit, right? How hard would you say the shifts are?

Sorry for the slight OT...
Old 09-13-2010, 02:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by sal210
im assuming u used a tranny cooler as well too. which one did u go with?
No tranny cooler for me. I heard different opinions about the cooler. Some say a shift kit keeps the temps down while others say a cooler is needed with the shift kit. I'm not abusing it so I feel I don't need it, yet.

Originally Posted by Z-Powered
That's the heavy duty kit, right? How hard would you say the shifts are?

Sorry for the slight OT...
1-2 was pretty firm but I have since put in ES motor mounts and much of that is gone. They compliment each other well.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:55 PM

^ Alright, I think I'll get ES motor mounts then. Did you do the install yourself or take it to a shop?
Old 09-13-2010, 05:01 PM

My 02 Automatic se is just starting to slip 2-3 and 3-4. Doesn't seem to be getting worse but I only recently noticed and it's getting on my nerves. Anyone know how long before it really takes a dive. Barely noticeable at low rpm. Only 62,000 miles, not a happy camper.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:24 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

If you are having transmission problems, why are you "beating the snot out of it"? You are causing tremendous amounts of wear in the clutch packs beating on it when the transmission is slipping.

Since the shifting goes back to normal once you turn the car off, it sounds like you have something floating around (probably clutch material and metal shavings) that are clogging the transmission when you drive. Turn off the car and all that stuff drains to the bottom of the pan and the transmission shifts properly again. Had that issue with my old Accord when something let loose. Every 3-4 miles of driving I'd have to turn my car off at a traffic light and then restart it or the transmission would slip horribly.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:35 PM

Like Scott said, you probably have debris floating around in your tranny. Try doing a fluid flush and see if it gets better. After the flush I'd suggest buying a bottle of Rislone transmission stop slip. I bought a bottle today and poured about 2/3 in through the tranny dipstick, and my 2-3 slip is totally GONE. It's like a miracle!
Old 09-15-2010, 06:53 PM

i have anotha transmission for it already so i dont mind blowing it up. i got the tranny real cheap and thats the only reason i bought now. i know that its gonna blow at some point and the price i got it at was crazy to let sumbody else get it, so i made a purchase. but its to the point where if it still drives then y spend more money right now by putting it in.... and the tranny was just flushed out 3k ago which is what i think caused the problem. i can see a small amount of metal shavings in it now
Old 09-15-2010, 10:58 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

i have anotha transmission for it already so i dont mind blowing it up.
You will if it happens at 3 AM 50 miles from home.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:59 PM

hahaha ya i see what ya sayin but i aint that worried about it..scottwax, do u have a tranny cooler in ur vehicle. if so which one?
Old 09-16-2010, 11:07 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

i went with the hd kit as well. the shifts are extremely firm. fine with me :/ but sometimes its at a suprisingly hard jolt. it shifts just like youd expect from a heavy duty kit. didnt go with a cooler at all either. my issue was upon driving hard in third i would sometimes be unable to rev ovoer 2500 rpm. suddenly it would hit a jolt and be fine. twice i lost reverse. since the kit ive had no issues.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:04 AM

Does the tranny have to be removed to install the kit. Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:43 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

hahaha ya i see what ya sayin but i aint that worried about it..scottwax, do u have a tranny cooler in ur vehicle. if so which one?
No tranny cooler because I have the cold weather soft 2-3 shift and a tranny cooler will probably just make it worse.

Got 183,400 miles on the original transmission and so far, so good. Fluid is nice and red and smells like it is supposed to. If I keep the car long enough and it needs a replacement transmission, then I will do the shift kit and cooler. Just don't want to buy a shift kit, pay for the install and 3 months later need a transmission.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:39 PM

well i got a 2k3 tranny with 50k on it, transgo hd-2 shift kit and b&m super cooler. ill update everyone within the next week or so on how she feels..thanks for all of ur help!!!
Old 09-18-2010, 07:10 PM

My reverse went twice had the same things happened to me they broke down the tranny to see what happen and the reverse gear thing had broke off did a rebuild didn't have time to look for a used one but got a good warranty on it. Might get a used engine next year cause tired of the oil burning!! But good luck on your new tranny!!
Old 09-27-2010, 05:12 PM

Hello good people. I'm a newby so forgive me if I ask something that has already been alluded to but i'm planning on purchasing an 02 Maxi in the next few weeks and i'm wondering if you all can offer me anything that I should know about these vehicles so I can go ahead and change anything out before it causes any problems. I appreciate any advice that you all can/will offer me.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:20 PM

transgo shift kit is installed and all i have to say is damnnn. the shifts are quick and hard. they're a little more drastic then i thought it would be but i love it. it definitely takes some getting used to. like i was just slowly driving along like an old lady cuz i was sooo tired today and bam, 2-3 shift woke my *** right up and brought a big smile to my face. anyone with an automatic maxima that loves the feel of a performance transmission then this is for u. i HIGHLY recommend it. out of all the modifications ive done this is actually my favorite..
Old 10-03-2010, 10:30 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

transgo shift kit is installed and all i have to say is damnnn. the shifts are quick and hard. they're a little more drastic then i thought it would be but i love it. it definitely takes some getting used to. like i was just slowly driving along like an old lady cuz i was sooo tired today and bam, 2-3 shift woke my *** right up and brought a big smile to my face. anyone with an automatic maxima that loves the feel of a performance transmission then this is for u. i HIGHLY recommend it. out of all the modifications ive done this is actually my favorite..
With 184k miles on my original transmission, I'd hate to put a shift kit in and then need a new transmission in 10,000 miles.

If I ever need to replace my transmission, it is definitely getting a shift kit. Had them in my Chevelle and Cutlass so I know how much fun quick, fast shifts are.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Better to revive an old thread than start another on a common issue.

So, that said, I installed the Transgo HD2 kit this weekend, not hard at all, the 1-2 shift is an eye opener as described. The 2-3 slip is gone completely, 3-4 is great... When OD works... Never had an issue with any other thing except 2-3, install the kit, now OD is is sometimes not there. Any thoughts? Another issue also, I have a fairly steep driveway, on the way home from work tonight, I pulled into the driveway while the garage door was opening, first would not work unless I got it to 1500 rpm's. Another interesting thing, if i let of the gas, it felt like it locked on the incline, it would not roll back like it usually does. I am at a complete and total loss on this one. Any thoughts or suggestions are more than welcome, it's my primary transportation and I work on base, so missing work is out of the question.

Fluid level is good, no burnt smell, when it does work, it works flawlessly.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:02 PM
^ Jeff™

Who did the install?
Old 03-08-2021, 02:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Back on this topic lol.

I have an 02 with approx 136k miles and when shifting from 1st to 2nd the rpms go waaaay up and it slams hard and chirps the tires. Like, it feels as if the engine block is hitting the firewall from 1st to 2nd lol. From 2nd to 3rd it does a short slip like a manual would but shifts fine from 3rd to 4th. The over drive don't kick in until the trans is nice n warm also, which is usually about 10-15 miles down the road maybe more. I've done a fluid change 2x back to back to flush any debris out and used a bottle of Lucas Trans Stop Slip. Nothing has changed except when I down shift the trans at 50mph+ to pass someone, it shifts all messed up lol. It'll rev real high and slam into gear slip out and than back in and start to move. Am I able to swap out the guts of my trans and put in upgrades? And I'm currently replacing the clutch on my 6speed 02 and wasn't sure if an auto trans could be fixed the same way. Any ideas would be extremely helpful. Also looking for a 6speed with minimal rust, especially around rear wheels lol. Running or not, just want one with a decent body lol.

My girls. Black auto. Gray manual.

Gotta have stickers

LED side markers all around. White paint marker does wonders to make white letter tires. Looks so much better on a black car.

Injen cold air intake. Megan Racing radiator. Fancy oil cap that gives +8hp......jk of course -

2x 12" RF P3 Competition 2000w 8ohm each bridged with a 4000w 6ohm Kenwood amp and some cheap capacitor that works extremely well lol.

Last edited by 2002WisconsinMaxima; 03-24-2021 at 01:17 AM.