5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Anyone use Duralast Gold CMAX brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 02:34 AM

Anyone use Duralast Gold CMAX brake pads?

Was wondering if anyone uses the Duralast Gold CMAX (with rubberized shims) brake pads? Please note these are different from the standard Duralast Gold brake pads.

I was wondering if anyone had the same problems I have had below with the Duralast Gold CMAX pads with rubberized shims compared to the standard Duralast Gold pads?

Here is the problem I have been having with standard Duralast Gold pads:

I replaced my brakes on my 03 Maxima at 35K miles for the first time. I took it to the local cheap repair shop and they turned the rotors and replaced all the pads with Duralast Gold (NOT Cmax) pads.

When braking lightly at speeds normally above 40MPH, they squeak!. If you brake hard they don't squeak or if braking at low speeds.

The shop has replaced the pads both front and rear already, and the new pads still squeak exactly the same. I should mention there is nothing wrong with the braking or how the brakes feel. They feel just fine and brake just fine. It's just the damn annoying squeak! Sounds more from the front than the rear, but I could be wrong.

Can anyone help? Maybe a shim problem or something? Anyone else have this happen?

Any suggestions before I go back to the shop and complain again? What is reasonable to ask the shop to do to fix this?

Thank you!
Old 08-02-2010, 03:10 AM

Worn Pads
A brake pad is comprised of steel backing with friction material attached to it. Application of the brakes produces hydraulic pressure that causes the brake pads (via brake calipers) to clamp down on the rotors (discs) creating friction. It is the friction of the pads against the rotors that slows and stops the vehicle. When the friction material on the pads wears down, it is time to change the pads. Some pads are equipped with a wear indicator, which is a small spring steel clip. When a pad is worn, this clip makes contact with the rotor and generates a high-pitched squeal, telling you that it is time to service the brakes. If the pad does not have a wear indicator, then when the pad has worn down to the steel backing it will grind into the rotor and need to be replaced. In this scenario, the rotor may have to be replaced as well, depending on how badly it was affected.
Glazed Pads and Rotors
Brake squeal can also occur when brake calipers stick and the brake stays partially applied. When this happens the pad is in constant contact with the rotor, producing excessive friction and thus heat. Overheated pads harden and crystallize. This glazing occurs on the rotors as well. The squealing sound is a result of these super hardened surfaces coming in contact with one another. Remember, it is the friction created by the brake pad against the rotor that stops a vehicle. When crystallization of pad and rotor occurs, there is much less friction. This results in diminished braking power and squealing brakes. At this point the pads must be replaced and the rotors resurfaced or replaced.
Broken Anti Rattle Clips
The brake pad is loosely held in place on the caliper by pad stays. An additional part called an anti rattle clip is used to secure the pad so that it will not vibrate or rattle when the brake is applied. If anti rattle clips are worn or broken, pad vibration will cause squealing. In this case, the clips must be replaced.
Lack of Pad Insulation or Insulation Shims
When a car comes from the factory, insulation shims are placed against the steel backing of the pad to insulate it from the brake caliper. This is necessary to prevent brake squeal. These shims eventually wear out or they are discarded when a brake job is performed. When the pads are replaced, either the shims must be replaced or silicone insulation gel must be applied to prevent squeal. If you had your front brakes replaced recently and they're squealing, take it back to the shop and make sure the shims were installed or gel was used.

Incorrect Rotor Surface Cut or No Surface Cut at All

When a brake job is performed, the rotors must be resurfaced to remove any glazing and return the surface to "true." First the rotor is machined to remove grooves and/or imperfection on the rotor surface. Once the rotor face is "true," a slow, non-directional finish is applied to the rotor face to ensure proper break-in of the pads. This process also insures that the pads don't ride up on the face of the rotor when braking. Riding up of the pads can cause a clicking noise, the breaking of anti rattle clips, or caliper pin wear. If the rotor is found to be too thin according to state inspection rules, it is discarded and replaced. It is important to note that if your pads were replaced without resurfacing the rotors, then squealing and pedal pulsation will probably occur.
http://autos.aol.com/article/brakes-squeal/
To prevent from explaining, I just searched it for you. One of those reason could be the reason why they are squeaking.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:09 PM

My Dad had this happen to him on his S10 pickup. He bought the regular pads and they squeaked every time he used them. He took them back and got the CMAX pads and the squeaking went away.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Cletus

is there a reason why you felt the need to start a second thread about the exact same problem?

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ey-squeak.html

stop buying cheap pads
Old 08-02-2010, 05:40 PM

Are those Ceramic's or not tried some semi metallic and man did they squeak got some Napa Ceramic's and put them on and all the annoying as noise that was embarassing me was gone!!
Old 08-02-2010, 07:28 PM

I always use duralast ceramic brake pads and I never had that problem
Old 08-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Banned

yeah, i don't encounter that problem too
Old 08-02-2010, 09:16 PM

Something must be wrong with the setup or install. I have an 03 gle and the 02 se, the 03 gle has the cmax pads and the 02 has the gold. Neither squeak, however the 03 gle has MUCH better braking capability.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:36 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

You use the proper shims and the goop that comes with the brake pads and you should have little to no brake squeal.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:24 AM

i have duralast pads in the rear and no sqeak.. this is the second time ive had em... no complaints
Old 08-03-2010, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by SoonerFan
is there a reason why you felt the need to start a second thread about the exact same problem?

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ey-squeak.html

stop buying cheap pads

If you bothered to read my question, on this thread I asked specifically about the CMAX pad and if anyone has used it and there experience and referenced my previous problem. That was NOT the quesion on my previous thread.......
Old 08-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by zcar@hotmail.com
If you bothered to read my question, on this thread I asked specifically about the CMAX pad and if anyone has used it and there experience and referenced my previous problem. That was NOT the quesion on my previous thread.......
dude, both threads are about brake pads and should have been asked in the same thread

you going to start another thread if you decide to go with different pads?
Old 08-03-2010, 12:56 PM

dude, both threads are about brake pads and should have been asked in the same thread

you going to start another thread if you decide to go with different pads?
yes lol
Old 08-03-2010, 01:23 PM
Cletus

newbs
Old 08-03-2010, 11:25 PM

newbs
Without them, Banning would be boring..lol
Old 08-10-2010, 10:09 PM

OK for those who care an update. I took my car back to the shop and had them replace my Duralast Gold pads with Duralast Gold CMAX pads with rubberized shims and new hardware. The cheap asians in the shop charged me an additional $68 bucks to change the pads front and rear! I shouldn't have had to pay anything! I didn't tell them to put on the Duralast Gold pads to begin with, they chose to put on those pads and should have fixed the squeaking problem themselves. If it took different pads to fix the problem - so be it. The shop should have absorbed the cost, not me!

But anyway, the CMAX pads feel exactly the same as the standard Gold pads when braking. It's only been a couple of hours, but no squeak (yet). Will update in a couple weeks to let you know if switching to the CMAX pads fixed the problem or not.

Last edited by zcar@hotmail.com; 08-10-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:55 PM

OK for those who care an update. I took my car back to the shop and had them replace my Duralast Gold pads with Duralast Gold CMAX pads with rubberized shims and new hardware. The cheap asians charged me an additional $68 bucks to change the pads front and rear! I shouldn't have had to pay anything! I didn't tell them to put on the Duralast Gold pads to begin with, they chose to put on those pads and should have fixed the squeaking problem themselves. If it took different pads to fix the problem - so be it. The shop should have absorbed the cost, not me!

But anyway, the CMAX pads feel exactly the same as the standard Gold pads when braking. It's only been a couple of hours, but no squeak (yet). Will update in a couple weeks to let you know if switching to the CMAX pads fixed the problem or not.
:metalmax:

So you expected the CMAX pads to feel a whole lot better than Gold pads?
Old 08-10-2010, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by KilJim
:metalmax:

So you expected the CMAX pads to feel a whole lot better than Gold pads?
No, I didn't. I thought I'd point that out since a previous post comment stated they saw better braking response in the CMAX pads compared to the standard Gold pads.....
Old 08-11-2010, 06:26 AM
RR5

I use these and only run into squeaking when the pads run low.

http://www.importrp.com/product.php?...&cat=37&page=1

I also replace rotors when replacing the pads just because it's easier.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:36 AM
Cletus

The cheap asians
really?

charged me an additional $68 bucks to change the pads front and rear! I shouldn't have had to pay anything! I didn't tell them to put on the Duralast Gold pads to begin with, they chose to put on those pads and should have fixed the squeaking problem themselves.
you let them put those pads on and drove away after the work was done...thats on you

this could have been prevented if you had
1. done research on here about good pads
2. not tried to get the cheapest pads
3. done the work yourself
4. gone to a good shop for the work
Old 08-11-2010, 06:41 PM

really?

Yes

you let them put those pads on and drove away after the work was done...thats on you

I know, but I would have gotten nothing from them at all if I didn't pay more..

this could have been prevented if you had
1. done research on here about good pads
2. not tried to get the cheapest pads
3. done the work yourself
4. gone to a good shop for the work
Ok so I should expect a brake job to sqeak which it didn't do before since I pay less money, despite they guarntee labor and materials at this shop for 12m/12K miles......Since they were cheaper I should expect it to sqeal.....Ok I understand your point. My bad the shop advertizes all over outside and inside "Bendix Brakes" and then I should expect them to place on cheap Duralast Gold brakes pads which has not one mention anywhere in or outside their business - not a single mention. So it's my fault - I get your point!
Old 08-11-2010, 08:44 PM

Don't be a tight @$$ - get some Akebono pads!
Old 08-12-2010, 12:35 AM

Well problem solved case closed. lol
/thread
Old 08-12-2010, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by K-Ryder
Well problem solved case closed. lol
/thread
Not yet! Give me a couple weeks to report back if the CMAX pads fixed the problem or not.....
Old 08-13-2010, 11:09 AM

Next time, try doing the brake job yourself. It's not hard at all! Plus, you can use the money that you save on other, better parts!
Old 08-13-2010, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by vinco
Next time, try doing the brake job yourself. It's not hard at all! Plus, you can use the money that you save on other, better parts!
I agree, but I wouldn't have been able to turn the rotors myself though...
Old 08-13-2010, 02:17 PM
Cletus

I agree, but I wouldn't have been able to turn the rotors myself though...
our rotors dont really warp...its material transfer from poor pads...if you replace the pads with quality ones (not duralast), you install new rotors...and dont have a problem again
Old 09-09-2010, 11:35 PM

Thought I would give everyone an update on my issue. It's been about a month now and almost 600 miles since switching from the Duralast Gold to Duralast Gold Cmax brake pads and not one squeak! The Gold pads squealed in the first 100 miles, these have been great and NO NOISE WHATSOEVER! I think it has to do with the rubberized shim on the CMAX pads and that coincidentally the CMAX pads also come with new hardware as the Gold pads do not.

I should also mention that I previously stated the feel and grab of the brake pads felt the same on both Gold and Cmax pads - I was incorrect. The Cmax pads have more bite and more substantial feel that the Gold pads.

I am glad I had the pads changed and the squealing problem seems to be fixed. I appreciate the info everyone on here gave me that pinpointed the problem to the shims and/or hardware. Thank you
Old 03-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just put new Duralast Gold Cmax brakes on the front and Duralast Gold brakes on the rear. No sueal or anything, I also put new rotors.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by vk818
I just put new Duralast Gold Cmax brakes on the front and Duralast Gold brakes on the rear. No sueal or anything, I also put new rotors.
It's been about 9 months now and around 5000 miles since switching from the Duralast Gold to Duralast Gold Cmax brake pads and not one squeak either! Cmax is a much better product than the standard Duralast Gold!
Old 03-21-2011, 05:34 AM

It's been about 9 months now and around 5000 miles since switching from the Duralast Gold to Duralast Gold Cmax brake pads and not one squeak either! Cmax is a much better product than the standard Duralast Gold!
Wow I just put those Duralast Golds on my 03 Maxima since Napa was closed already and my other pads were done for slapped them on and havent had no squeaks for about a week to me not bad for the price since I paid like 55 or so for my Napa Ceramics...but I have cross/drilled and slotted rotors who knows if that is a factor....