5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

"Anti-mod" list?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 07:17 AM

"Anti-mod" list?

I see lots of y'all have the "mods" done to your cars listed in your signatures, I thought I'd create an "anti-mod" list itemizing repairs that I need to get around to addressing on mine. These aren't "it's broken down" repairs, these are just "one of these days" repairs

Feel free to chime in, if for nothing more than saying it out loud, I find it helps organize my scattered thoughts

Having now enjoyed driving my Max around for a few months, and reading and searching here, as well as shiftice's site, I've compiled the following list:

Motor mounts, I get a nice CLUNK when quickly shifting into D from R, or "aggressively" taking off from a redlight.

Sway bar endlink or body mount bushings, I've got that front end knocking goin on.

BOSE rear deck rattle, OMG annoying.

Still need to finish relocating my CKPS to get rid of my SES/TCS/Slip lights and extended start times (not to mention making use of the remote start feature the previous owner must have had installed )

I'd love to get around to dropping my stock exhaust again and gutting every last cat, almost from a "preventative maintenance" angle, than an actual "go-fast mod", or at least, that's what I'll tell myself

Speaking of word play, I need new struts, bad. And since the factory springs are sagging in the rear, I guess I'll have to replace my springs as well. It's not a "mod", it's a repair, dammit! A few weeks ago, I pulled a couple coils of my front springs together with some of those spring booster clamp jobs flipped around backwards, just to level the car out, I couldn't stand the stance any longer. I think it sits pretty good now:

Lastly, at some point down the road, I want to replace my foglights, they're cracked and hole'd up, yet remarkably still work. I bought some Lamin-X overlays thinking I could bandaid them, but after getting really up close and personal and noticing how bad they are, I decided against it.

And don't misunderstand me, I'm not complaining or b!tching in any way, I bought the car for $1200 and put a $400 engine in it, so as far as I'm concerned, I'm WAAAAAY ahead of the curve.

Anyone else?
Old 07-21-2010, 07:37 AM

Not so much an "anti-mod" list as it is a "to-do" list.

I think I understand your premise, but still suggest that you're better off tackling each item one at a time, rather than publishing your to-do list and encouraging unsolicited advice.

Interesting tire tread, btw. That's a really good shot of the car from the back quarter. You've got a good eye.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:56 AM

- ABS/TCS/ SLIP light fix needed
- Transmission is laggy. Plan on getting the VB mod done and replace the solenoids pack while its opened up
- Y-pipe is done. Waiting on Cattman's. The front precat was replaced earlier this year as well
-clearcoat from the hood is peeling off. Not sure if i want to fix that though

btw, i've already replaced the struts, ECU, IACV, rotors, calipers etc at around 70K
Old 07-21-2010, 08:04 AM

That back quarter photo would be an awesome baseline for a sig photo. Crop it, brush out your reflection in the bumper...

Again, good eye, OP.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Not so much an "anti-mod" list as it is a "to-do" list.
Point taken

I think I understand your premise, but still suggest that you're better off tackling each item one at a time, rather than publishing your to-do list and encouraging unsolicited advice.
I wasn't necessarily soliciting advice, so much as just opening the floor for feedback, while rambling mostly coherently

And yes, my budget will dictate only tackling one item at a time, and even that will probably take longer than I'd like. If I had say six or seven grand invested in my car, I'd have more incentive to keep its value up. Call my low low purchase price a "double-edged sword"

Interesting tire tread, btw. That's a really good shot of the car from the back quarter. You've got a good eye.
Thanks, there's a bunch more in my albums, check 'em out, but to be honest, I think the car just looks good, I'm not really doing anything Those tires are Federal SS595's, came on the car when I bought it. I actually just replied to a post about 'em, they do look mean, but damn do they growl, the road noise is deafening.

And again, to clarify, this thread isn't a b!tch-fest, tho someone else is welcome to , I'm thoroughly pleased with the car thus far. It looks good, it runs good, and the price couldn't be beat
Old 07-21-2010, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by BlackMacks
Thanks, there's a bunch more in my albums, check 'em out
Did so just now. I'm still impressed. Not everyone knows intuitively how to take a good picture... myself included. I'm much better at editing than originating.

On a OT note, (not that there is a solid topic to stay on anyway ), I always loved the design of that model Supra. Beautiful lines. And although it was a boat anchor, if seems you compensated for that and then some.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:33 AM

That back quarter photo would be an awesome baseline for a sig photo. Crop it, brush out your reflection in the bumper...

Again, good eye, OP.

Thanks Roch, your idea and timing is uncanny, I was thinking of PM'ing you for assistance in a sig creation, I've followed your prowess across the org here. I esp like the main one above

I guess I just put it off to "earn my stripes", as it were, I didn't feel worthy of the request, lol!
Old 07-21-2010, 08:48 AM

On a OT note, (not that there is a solid topic to stay on anyway ), I always loved the design of that model Supra. Beautiful lines. And although it was a boat anchor, if seems you compensated for that and then some.
Lol, I'm going to fight as well, to stay on topic, but that ole Supra of mine, I could talk about for days, it was truly a special car, very deliberate in its movements, solid, but brutally fast, noisy, and fun. I was drifting before it had a name The straight-open 3" pipe from turbo to bumper allowed for the sweetest WOT exhaust note at 6000 rpm, and the BOV dumping 18 pounds between shifts left no doubts as to its aspiration. I'm pretty sure I doubled its stock 230/246 output in the 7 yrs it was mine, what a ride.

ok ok ok, sorry guys, I'm gonna QFT now
Old 07-21-2010, 08:55 AM

...but that ole Supra of mine, I could talk about for days, it was truly a special car, very deliberate in its movements, solid, but brutally fast, noisy, and fun. I was drifting before it had a name The straight-open 3" pipe from turbo to bumper allowed for the sweetest WOT exhaust note at 6000 rpm, and the BOV dumping 18 pounds between shifts left no doubts as to its aspiration. I'm pretty sure I doubled its stock 230/246 output in the 7 yrs it was mine, what a ride.
Damn. That was well written. You need to contribute more to the Org.

I remember driving the 1987 Supra Turbo when it was released. (Yeah, I'm old. ) A buddy from college got it as a graduation present, if you can believe that. The ride was awesome, solid, powerful... and yet graceful and precise. It was also my first experience with ABS, which was seriously unique in its day. Love that car. (Did not at all like the design and $$$ of the next gen.)
Old 07-21-2010, 11:27 AM
Cletus

great thread

Old 07-22-2010, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by SoonerFan
great thread

Damn. That was well written. You need to contribute more to the Org.

I remember driving the 1987 Supra Turbo when it was released. (Yeah, I'm old. ) A buddy from college got it as a graduation present, if you can believe that. The ride was awesome, solid, powerful... and yet graceful and precise. It was also my first experience with ABS, which was seriously unique in its day. Love that car. (Did not at all like the design and $$$ of the next gen.)
Roch, I think Sooner's onto something, my thread sucks, lol, so no need to worry about straying off-topic, and I appreciate your comments, so I'm replying again.

I can't explain why I have such an acute awareness of poor grammar, or try so hard to express myself adequately, aside from some intangible disgust for "ebonics" or "spanglish", etc. I don't hold a college degree, or consider myself an "educated man"....... shrug.....

That aside, I have every intention of contributing to the Org, hopefully in a useful manner, I appreciate the encouragement. I've technically only been a Max owner for about 4 months now, contrary to my join date, ( I was shopping at that time ) but in that time, I've pulled and replaced my VQ35DE, which meant experiencing axle removements, transmission seperations, exhaust disconnects, as well as belts and A/C compressor, radiator removal, and alternator replacement. I also have access to Mitchell's repair program, OnDemand5, as well as snap-on's code scanners, so maybe someone can find my posts helpful. If not, I'm sure Sooner will let me know

I'm no stranger to car enthusiast's forums, I was on supra's for 7 years, dating back to 96 when I purchased the car. Along the way, I've owned several DD's that all had some form of forum following, so I understand the "thick skin" and "arguing over the internet/special olympics" implications.

Did that Supra you test drove have the TEMS, the Toyota Electronically Modulated Suspension? Those crazy japs dropped little 3-way electronic stepping motors onto the tops of the struts to control their valving at the push of two in-cabin buttons. What a technology, for 1987! We loved it, as a group, and almost immediately discovered how to throw the system into "diagnostics" mode to access the third setting, FIRM, normally only selected by the car's computer sensing TPS voltage above about 50% when speed sensor was at 0, or a couple of other steering or brake related inputs. Tokico made a direct replacement for that strut, and I've loved their products ever since.

Anyway, I could meander further down memory lane, but I imagine everyone's tired of reading at this point, so I'm gonna shut up now
Old 07-22-2010, 09:08 AM

Your thread is a meet-n-greet. Interesting, but...

Honestly, I have no idea what to say. So I'll just smile and wave.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:35 PM

Again, good eye, OP.

I do love those rear quarter pics. Very flattering angle for our cars... hence my sig.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:27 PM

(Slightly) back on topic: I do like your original premise/ philosophy. I put 30K+ miles per year on a car, so I'm not crazy about mods that take a car very far away from factory specs. I don't like a lowered car as a DD, since I have to fight interstate traffic/trucks/potholes every day. But I do definitely appreciate slightly stiffer springs/shocks - as might be stock-ish on an SE model. That would be my first suggestion for a "mod" for you. Go with stock SE springs with replacement shocks(struts) specified for the SE model.

Next, move on to the brakes. I've had EXCELLENT service from my set of ATE slotted rotors, along with decent ceramic pads from Advance Auto Parts (I still stay away from Autozone on this type of stuff). I've had both 5-gen and 5.5 gen Maximas, and I have found that the 5.5-gen ('02-'03) front brakes are actually pretty good in stock format, with the mentioned pads and rotors. No warpage or rust on mine after 60K+ miles of driving, complete with lots of hard stops on the interstate and a track day at Hallett (had to change pads after the track day, though.) This combo will still let you stop better than most other cars on the road, and it's no more than slightly upgraded stock configuration parts.

Nice pics!
Old 07-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Cletus

o...this is about things we've had to fix/replace

"wear items" -
tires (twice)
brake pads
brake rotors
spark plugs (twice)
all fluids (coolant and MT-90 twice)
struts (twice)
belts
clutch
all O2 sensors

non-wear items -
throttle body
ECU
MAF
coils
radiator
lower control arms
PS high pressure hoses
motor mounts

Last edited by SoonerFan; 07-22-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by vinco
a track day at Hallett
how is that? i have wanted to go for years but never made it up there...hope to take a future car up there
Old 07-22-2010, 05:18 PM

your car was one lemon!

"wear items" -
tires (twice)
brake pads
brake rotors
spark plugs (twice)
struts (twice)
belts
clutch
all O2 sensors

non-wear items -
throttle body
ECU
MAF
coils
radiator
lower control arms
PS high pressure hoses
motor mounts
Old 07-22-2010, 05:31 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35
your car was one lemon!
nope...just drove it hard...and enjoyed every min of it...I even liked working on it
Old 07-22-2010, 05:39 PM

i enjoy mine also, i guess its your non wear items that i never had an issue with..

nope...just drove it hard...and enjoyed every min of it...I even liked working on it
Old 07-22-2010, 05:54 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35
i enjoy mine also, i guess its your non wear items that i never had an issue with..
yeah some of that stuff may have been caused by me

non-wear items -
throttle body (cleaned it and fried it)
ECU (fried TB messed it up)
MAF (common)
coils (common)
radiator (cracked)
lower control arms (driving style wore out the bushings)
PS high pressure hoses (have no idea)
motor mounts (driving style)
Old 07-22-2010, 07:19 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Again, good eye, OP.

actually if he mirrored the image it would be more eye appealing. Since we read Left to right. Just my thoughts
Old 07-22-2010, 07:24 PM

I see lots of y'all have the "mods" done to your cars listed in your signatures, I thought I'd create an "anti-mod" list itemizing repairs that I need to get around to addressing on mine. These aren't "it's broken down" repairs, these are just "one of these days" repairs

Feel free to chime in, if for nothing more than saying it out loud, I find it helps organize my scattered thoughts

Having now enjoyed driving my Max around for a few months, and reading and searching here, as well as shiftice's site, I've compiled the following list:

Motor mounts, I get a nice CLUNK when quickly shifting into D from R, or "aggressively" taking off from a redlight.

Sway bar endlink or body mount bushings, I've got that front end knocking goin on.

BOSE rear deck rattle, OMG annoying.

Still need to finish relocating my CKPS to get rid of my SES/TCS/Slip lights and extended start times (not to mention making use of the remote start feature the previous owner must have had installed )

I'd love to get around to dropping my stock exhaust again and gutting every last cat, almost from a "preventative maintenance" angle, than an actual "go-fast mod", or at least, that's what I'll tell myself

Speaking of word play, I need new struts, bad. And since the factory springs are sagging in the rear, I guess I'll have to replace my springs as well. It's not a "mod", it's a repair, dammit! A few weeks ago, I pulled a couple coils of my front springs together with some of those spring booster clamp jobs flipped around backwards, just to level the car out, I couldn't stand the stance any longer. I think it sits pretty good now:

Lastly, at some point down the road, I want to replace my foglights, they're cracked and hole'd up, yet remarkably still work. I bought some Lamin-X overlays thinking I could bandaid them, but after getting really up close and personal and noticing how bad they are, I decided against it.

And don't misunderstand me, I'm not complaining or b!tching in any way, I bought the car for $1200 and put a $400 engine in it, so as far as I'm concerned, I'm WAAAAAY ahead of the curve.

Anyone else?
im interested in a dyno if you gut all you cats... im sure there could possibly be a 15-20whp gain
Old 07-26-2010, 07:24 AM

Your thread is a meet-n-greet. Interesting, but...

Honestly, I have no idea what to say. So I'll just smile and wave.
lol, Thanks, John, I woulda done the same thing, in your position....

Originally Posted by ZGadson
I do love those rear quarter pics. Very flattering angle for our cars... hence my sig.
Thanks Z

Originally Posted by vinco
(Slightly) back on topic: I do like your original premise/ philosophy. I put 30K+ miles per year on a car, so I'm not crazy about mods that take a car very far away from factory specs. I don't like a lowered car as a DD, since I have to fight interstate traffic/trucks/potholes every day. But I do definitely appreciate slightly stiffer springs/shocks - as might be stock-ish on an SE model. That would be my first suggestion for a "mod" for you. Go with stock SE springs with replacement shocks(struts) specified for the SE model.

Next, move on to the brakes. I've had EXCELLENT service from my set of ATE slotted rotors, along with decent ceramic pads from Advance Auto Parts (I still stay away from Autozone on this type of stuff). I've had both 5-gen and 5.5 gen Maximas, and I have found that the 5.5-gen ('02-'03) front brakes are actually pretty good in stock format, with the mentioned pads and rotors. No warpage or rust on mine after 60K+ miles of driving, complete with lots of hard stops on the interstate and a track day at Hallett (had to change pads after the track day, though.) This combo will still let you stop better than most other cars on the road, and it's no more than slightly upgraded stock configuration parts.

Nice pics!
Thanks for the reply, Vinco, I was really just organizing my thoughts, more than anything. Denny's reply is along the lines of what I was expecting. I've got a lot of "to-do"s that I want to address before I get to "mods", tho some could go in either category

"wear items" -
tires (twice)
brake pads
brake rotors
spark plugs (twice)
struts (twice)
belts
clutch
all O2 sensors

non-wear items -
throttle body
ECU
MAF
coils
radiator
lower control arms
PS high pressure hoses
motor mounts
Not exactly, Sooner, I was just putting down in writing, the repairs I need to get to, on my car, after getting familiar with it these last few months. It was not running when I purchased it, so I started basically from a "ground zero blank slate". Now that it's running, I still want to bring it "up to level" before I can think about mods.

Originally Posted by DrunkieTheBear
actually if he mirrored the image it would be more eye appealing. Since we read Left to right. Just my thoughts
Like this? :

(waits for the maxima purists to point out "what's wrong with this picture" )

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
im interested in a dyno if you gut all you cats... im sure there could possibly be a 15-20whp gain
Ghustle, that could be done, I've got a local dyno here, used to work for the fella that operated it, maybe he'll hook me up with a discounted rate. How much are O2 sims goin for nowadays anyway?

And if y'all want to let my poor thread die at this point, I won't complain....