5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Two words I never thought I'd say: Sprint Booster

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
You would think that's all you'd have to do to achieve the same results.

You'd be wrong, but I can see why you'd think that.

How quickly we forget the lessons of "Green Eggs & Ham".
its just signal processing, not rocket science. if you can program a chip, you can do this pretty easily.
step on the pedal faster and deeper.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:27 AM

Dude, I have the booster now, and I'm relaying my experience here. You can tell me ten times over to step on the pedal faster, and it won't change my perception of this experience.

Once again, I'll remind you of that simple lesson:
"Try them, try them, and you shall see..."
Hmm, those are good eggs.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:01 PM

You know I respect your opinion, 2slow. A whole lot, actually. However, I already answered my "Is it a scam?" question with:
"I really don't care, because Ray can't have it back. I love this thing."
According to knight_yyz, retailers are obligated to let you try before you buy. Have you tried it yet?

All that aside, what's wrong with the illusion of performance? By my way of thinking, it's all about the driving experience. I'll prioritize having fun over measured speed any day. Quarter mile times are irrelevant. Enjoying the acceleration experience and the connection between car and driver... that's what matters. (That's why I drive a 6MT.)
The problem with the illusion of performance is simple, there is no added performance. Therefore, the modification's performance value ($/hp or hp/$) goes to #DIV/0! (error) or 0 depending on the method; neither of which are any good.

According to knight_yyz, retailers are obligated to let you try before you buy. Have you tried it yet?
That's a bit naive, no one is obligated to do anything for anyone (unless required by law), but it is a good business practice (especially for a product which solely elicits an emotional response).

Have you tried it yet?
Yes, but not in a Maxima. My experience stated so as to not offend:

Originally Posted by 2slow
I've used one with a Chrysler Crossfire, and it does exactly what was previously stated; increases pedal position sensor feedback to increase the throttle position.

While it 'took-up' the lag quite well, it caused other driveability issues for which it was removed and now resides on a shelf. It made small throttle applications, or variations of, very sensitive which affected ability to smoothly start the vehicle and modulate part throttle applications (greater than 50%). These experiences caused us to remove the sprint booster, which made the vehicle much easier to drive (auto-cross).

I don't think there is enough throttle lag in the VQ to warrant this, especially for the price.

More street cred:

Originally Posted by jasonmax
I just step down the pedal a bit further.
You would think that's all you'd have to do to achieve the same results.

You'd be wrong, but I can see why you'd think that.

How quickly we forget the lessons of "Green Eggs & Ham".
Actually, he's correct, it's just the feel is a bit different.

BTW Rochester, I too respect your opinion, so don't take this as an affront but as a different viewpoint.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:15 PM

BTW Rochester, I too respect your opinion, so don't take this as an affront but as a different viewpoint.
Don't worry, man. You're good.

The only real way to get your opinion aligned with mine would be for you to drive my car, with and without the booster. If you were anywhere nearby, I'd happily make that challenge available to you, 2slow.

Until then, you'll just have to accept my opinion at face value. Without empirical evidence on how it changes the driving experience in my Maxima, you can certainly be skeptical, but you can't deny my experience. Remember, I was just as skeptical in Perkman's Sprint Booster thread back in December '09. In fact, I directly said, "It feels like snake oil." I never would have tried this thing on my own, if it weren't already installed when I came back from test-driving Markus' TE. But boy am I glad I did.

Perception is personal. 2slow, this thing makes driving my car a whole lot more fun.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:17 PM

Actually, he's correct, it's just the feel is a bit different.
some cheap eco cars Ive driven have this kinda program stock for example Honda Civic.
when I drove the Civic at low speed, the throttle control was very sensitive, just a little bit throttle the car would jump forward giving you an illusion the car has a lot of power but when you really punch it, nothing really happens.
on a maxima, the stock setting is a bit like the bmw 5 series I drove, very gentle and smooth when going slowly, when you punch it, the power becomes a flood.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:27 PM

The problem with the illusion of performance is simple, there is no added performance.
The problem with that argument is that it takes all the fun out of our hobby.

Fun > dyno.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:37 PM

Here's the problem:

Perception is personal.
Your perception will likely not be the same as mine, even if all other variables are controlled.

I've used this product on a vehicle which has a real problem with throttle 'lag', and felt the marginal benefit (different feeling) was out-weighed by the negative (increased sensitivity). Especially since the percieved torque 'increase' can also be accomplished with a 'deeper' pedal depression.

Originally Posted by jasonmax
some cheap eco cars Ive driven have this kinda program stock
This is becoming more common since it's soo easy for a manufacturer; usually labeled as push-button sport mode. Another (not so cheap) example is the turbo-charged Mini Cooper S, and I think I recall it on other BMWs, but it has been a while.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:46 PM

The problem with that argument is that it takes all the fun out of our hobby.
It's a simple value proposition (quantitative approach) to ensure a sane ratio of performance (fun) to price.

Fun > dyno.
I will agree that dyno's are not everything (but usually are when speaking of engine performance), and will re-assert my primary negative was related to driveability (due to increased sensitivity) which decreased fun. Consequently, the $ per fun was off the chart horrible (<0) with a negative fun quotient.

Again, just my $0.02.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:31 PM

It's a simple value proposition (quantitative approach) to ensure a sane ratio of performance (fun) to price.
Fair enough. It didn't work out for you with that Crossfire.

It's working out fantastic for me with my Maxima.

Here's the problem:

Your perception will likely not be the same as mine, even if all other variables are controlled.

I've used this product on a vehicle which has a real problem with throttle 'lag', and felt the marginal benefit (different feeling) was out-weighed by the negative (increased sensitivity). Especially since the percieved torque 'increase' can also be accomplished with a 'deeper' pedal depression.
I get that. Different cars, different drivers. You want something exact, something that's definitive and provable. I can't give that to you, 2slow. Moreover, it's not how I work. Don't care about numbers, statistics, equations. Those things take a back seat to the driving experience.

It's kind of like the 7th gen CVT. Don't get me wrong, I love my clutch pedal. But that 7th gen CVT is a blast to drive. There are so many little nuances available for you to become attuned to, ways that connect you to the driving experience. You're "shifting", but there are no gears, and it doesn't really matter because it's a lot of fun.

Know what I mean?

Last edited by Rochester; 07-21-2010 at 05:33 PM. Reason: SoonerFan and I are self-moderating
Old 07-19-2010, 08:57 PM
Toolie

The only way to prove this is to go to a dealer and take a test drive. Can't prove it on paper, can't prove it on the internet. Geeze, the darn thing won an award at SEMA this year and you guys are still so negative. You're all trying to quantify the thing into horsepower gains, and how much faster does it make the car go. That isn't the point. Or flooring the car gives you the same result. No it doesn't. If you don't believe it, hit a dealer and ask for a test drive. What have you got to lose? Worst that can happen is that you will find out you are wrong.

BTY they make one for the Xterra too

Last edited by knight_yyz; 07-19-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:13 PM

anybody else find it interesting that he admitted to liking the CVT? im pretty sure that answers all my questions about why one might like the sprint booster
Old 07-20-2010, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Gemner
anybody else find it interesting that he admitted to liking the CVT? im pretty sure that answers all my questions about why one might like the sprint booster
What were your impressions of the CVT when you drove it?

What are your driving impressions of the Sprint Booster?
Old 07-20-2010, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by SoonerFan
when we had this argument last year, nobody claiming it worked could provide proof...a "feeling" isnt proof
Fun is.

....but you're not arguing this again.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:14 AM

Dismissing personal opinions by association, $3.00.

Pulling unsubstantiated validation out of your dookie, priceless.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:23 AM
dot dot dot ...

This conversation sounds so familiar.
http://forums.maxima.org/4890763-post88.html
http://forums.maxima.org/4196737-post23.html
http://forums.maxima.org/4889536-post85.html
Old 07-20-2010, 07:19 AM
Toolie

but there is no throttle lag Manny!
Old 07-20-2010, 07:21 AM
dot dot dot ...

TS F-Spec + larger MAF housing + SAFCII = I went the complicated way I guess.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:29 AM
VQ Wizard

Originally Posted by NmexMAX

This is an interesting read. I suppose it's a good fix for those who don't want to upgrade to a larger MAF housing and calibrate it.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Restated: the driver of the one Maxima in that meet-up who has the TS F-Spec flash was hard-put to feel any changes with the booster in his car.

So many variables, all mixed in with the ineffable experience of making the car (my car) more fun to drive. I'm just putting this out there, guys. Do what you will with it in whatever way sits well with your values and your budget.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:34 AM
VQ Wizard

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
The only way to prove this is to go to a dealer and take a test drive. Can't prove it on paper, can't prove it on the internet. Geeze, the darn thing won an award at SEMA this year and you guys are still so negative. You're all trying to quantify the thing into horsepower gains, and how much faster does it make the car go. That isn't the point. Or flooring the car gives you the same result. No it doesn't. If you don't believe it, hit a dealer and ask for a test drive. What have you got to lose? Worst that can happen is that you will find out you are wrong.

BTY they make one for the Xterra too
The point of "front loading" the APS signals can be proven by data logging with a Cipher or any good OBD-II reader.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:34 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
This is an interesting read. I suppose it's a good fix for those who don't want to upgrade to a larger MAF housing and calibrate it.
For someone like Rochester, it's probably fine. I like the added benefit (volume & better breathing post 5K) that's been proven with the larger housing and of course the throttle response without the sensitivity. I remember there was something to this affect some early 2K model cable driven throttle'd vehicles also. Sorta gets you there faster (to WOT) vs OEM, even with a cable throttle.So say 50% = 65-75% or something to that affect.
The point of "front loading" the APS signals can be proven by data logging with a Cipher or any good OBD-II reader.
Cipher is also a great tool .... especially for convo's like this.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 07-20-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:39 AM

A larger MAF housing necessitates active tuning, right?

In which case, you're correct, Nmex. That's not where I want to go. I'm in my happy place right now with the Maxima.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:50 AM
dot dot dot ...

A larger MAF housing necessitates active tuning, right?
Not with the proper device, i.e. SAFCII/EMB/EMU. I blew a 13.0 all across the board with "0" corrections with my SAFCII.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:46 PM

if this was so great....everyone would have one...
Are you talking about Maxima's?
Old 07-20-2010, 03:59 PM

Fair enough. It didn't work out for you with that Crossfire.

It's working out fantastic for me with my Maxima.

I get that. Different cars...
Well, since this product's method/technology doesn't change across applications I expect the same response (actually slightly lessened positive response) with the Maxima. This includes all my aforementioned negatives: sensitivity, value, & no actual performance increase.

You want something exact, something that's definitive and provable. I can't give that to you, 2slow. Moreover, it's not how I work. Don't care about numbers, statistics, equations. Those things take a back seat to the driving experience.
Sort of..I need a tangible performance improvement, not just a change to the vehicle/human interface which alters the 'pedal response'; in this case the relationship between pedal application and throttle opening (and ultimately power). Especially since the response (power output) can be replicated with increased pedal depression.

It's kind of like the 7th gen CVT. Don't get me wrong, I love my clutch pedal. But that 7th gen CVT is a blast to drive. There are so many little nuances available for you to become attuned to, ways that connect you to the driving experience. You're "shifting", but there are no gears, and it doesn't really matter because it's a lot of fun.

Know what I mean?
Yeah, you are a 'fiddler'. Have you driven a DSG (VW)/SMG (BMW) transmission equipped vehicle? Or even the new rev-match 370z? I bet you would like those technologies.

Or...if it was so good, it would be illegal...but it ain't. (just an improved version for ****s'n'giggles)
Old 07-20-2010, 04:10 PM

Holy hell...the new ones have 'performance' stages:

Will the sprint booster setup in race stage 2 mode cause issues with my stage 4 clutch kit and stage 2 tune? .:sarcasm:.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:28 PM

Yeah, you are a 'fiddler'. Have you driven a DSG (VW)/SMG (BMW) transmission equipped vehicle? Or even the new rev-match 370z? I bet you would like those technologies.
I have driven the 370Z with rev-match downshifting. It's insanely fun.

The little roadster is off my list, however. Just too impractical for me.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:06 PM

rev-match was made for drivers that arent good enough to do it themselves
Jealous.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:19 PM

Maybe salesmen wait for customers to leave before they insult them? If they were clever, they'd figure out how denigrate the clientele without their knowing.
Perhaps they were more clever than you thought?

Too easy; and welcome to left field.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:07 PM
Toolie

Especially since the response (power output) can be replicated with increased pedal depression.

Prove that please. Because I know you are wrong. You cannot replicate how the sprint booster feels by mashing the pedal.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:08 PM
Toolie

Sorry I don't have one.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:15 PM
Toolie

not arguying this again

when we had this argument last year, nobody claiming it worked could provide proof...a "feeling" isnt proof

Please make up your mind. I thought you slammed the door and it hit your **** on the way out.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:27 PM

Prove that please. Because I know you are wrong. You cannot replicate how the sprint booster feels by mashing the pedal.
actually, you can. because what it does, even according to themselves, is replace the current pedal position reading with one of a further position. it does not do anything you cant do with the pedal, the voltages all remain withing the normal range of pedal position, so if done correctly you could identically replicate this effect with just your foot
Old 07-20-2010, 09:32 PM
Toolie

have you tried it?

I didn't think so, so all you have is an opinion.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:34 PM

actually, you can. because what it does, even according to themselves, is replace the current pedal position reading with one of a further position. it does not do anything you cant do with the pedal, the voltages all remain withing the normal range of pedal position, so if done correctly you could identically replicate this effect with just your foot
I told him that many posts ago. just step on the pedal deeper, he doesnt believe it.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:35 PM

have you tried it?

you dont need to try something to know how it works.

from sprint booster site
"Sprint Booster modifies the signal between the accelerator pedal module and the electronic throttle body. This modified signal forces the throttle body to open 'more' than the stock signal at a given pedal position. In effect, the idle-to-full-throttle pedal travel is reduced. This makes your car 'feel' more powerful because a given pedal input produces greater throttle opening. This is especially evident in the low to mid rpm range where most cars spend their time on the street.

Sprint Booster simply modifies the throttle signal between the accelerator pedal and the throttle body. Big deal right? Keep in mind, this is the same concept as the 'throttle pulley' modification on cable based throttle systems - which was very popular in it's time. It doesn't add horsepower, but makes the throttle more sensitive and makes the car 'feel' faster."

Last edited by jasonmax; 07-20-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:38 PM

have you tried it?

i dont need to try it to know for a fact that you can perfectly replicate it with your foot.

i dont have any intention of talking you out of your enjoyment for it cause honestly, i dont care if you love this thing, i just post in hopes that if other people read this thread understand that it doesnt do anything you cant do yourself for free (minus the hit to your wallet for gas)

truth be told, it would **** me off to no end if giving 3/4 pedal gave full throttle in my car, cause when youre going fast, tearing up canyons or whatever you enjoy, if youre driving hard 3/4 throttle and full throttle cant be used interchangeably if you wish to keep traction and stay on the road. if you know your car and are good at driving it, that is throttle sensitivity you cant live without

Last edited by Gemner; 07-20-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:36 PM
Toolie

But people don't have to waste money. They can try it for free and form their own opinion instead of listening to conjecture from people who have not even tried the thing. And I really don't car about your opinion of it either. I just post because I want to educate some people who want to get rid of throttle lag.

And until you actually get off your butt, go out and try the thing, anything you say is an opinion not a fact. If you want to state a fact, try it out then come back and say it is a waste of time and money.

No one said this added any horsepower. It eliminates throttle lag, and mashing the pedal to the floor does not eliminate throttle lag. Reflashing the ecu like technosquare, reduces throttle lag, and the spring booster eliminates throttle lag. If you push the pedal halfway to the floor and it takes 10 seconds to respond, then pushing the pedal all the way to the floor will still take 10 seconds to respond.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:44 PM

And until you actually get off your butt, go out and try the thing, anything you say is an opinion not a fact. If you want to state a fact, try it out then come back and say it is a waste of time and money.
It is a physical FACT, not opinion, that it can be replicated identically by foot motions. This is based on physics and information provided by the makers of the spring booster. plus, i have an F-spec so it would be pointless according to you

If you push the pedal halfway to the floor and it takes 10 seconds to respond, then pushing the pedal all the way to the floor will still take 10 seconds to respond.
this is THE most horrendous festival of hyperbole ive seen in a while. maybe your car was f'd up, but I never have had that trouble. when I pushed the throttle, before the f-spec, I never had any trouble with throttle lag. Not to mention this doesnt actually solve throttle lag unless you actually do take 10s to depress the pedal, then it would get you to 100% throttle in only 7.5s vs 10s, according to their data
Old 07-20-2010, 11:57 PM

What is this mysterious lag everyone keeps talking about? Is it the .05 seconds it takes to press the petal to 50% throttle position and the .05 seconds it takes for the signal to be processed? I don't see how this thing could do anything but eliminate that small amount of time by starting at like 40% throttle when you first step on the petal. It certainly cant make the car process the signal faster.

Or am I missing something? If you just decided every time you hit the gas to drop it to 40% throttle position instead of 10% isn't that the same thing? If it isn't why not?

Knight can you link to a website that shows dealers for the product to get it test driven the debate has got me curious.

Quick Reply: Two words I never thought I'd say: Sprint Booster