5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Big spender today

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 01:15 PM

Big spender today

I need to share my excitement ( cuz no one else I know is a maxima enthusiast)

Today I purchased:

Megan SS Cat-back
Stillen Front & Rear tower braces + sway bar
Smoked side markers

only thing im concerned about is the front strut bar. Stillen product page says fits 2000-03 . Invoice told me its 2003 6-Speed Only . I sure hope not, I have a 2000 Auto. Still waiting on Stillen to answer back.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:16 PM

so you had a cattman 3" and downgraded to a megan? either that or change ur sig
Old 07-06-2010, 01:17 PM

i love those days! spending money is fun lol.. and im 99% sure the strut bar will fit so don't worry.. but you shoulda just bought an ebay one and saved yourself some money
Old 07-06-2010, 01:17 PM

just got word.... wrong one, and they removed it from my order.

Time to find another front strut brace.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:18 PM

they said its different for auto and 6 speed? lol never heard that before..
Old 07-06-2010, 01:19 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...Q5fAccessories

similar/if not the same one i have
Old 07-06-2010, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by tookrzy4u192
i love those days! spending money is fun lol.. and im 99% sure the strut bar will fit so don't worry.. but you shoulda just bought an ebay one and saved yourself some money
No it's not........ Getting parts are fun, spending money on mods sure isn't though lol.. Congrats op.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:29 PM

Story with the Cattman 3" is I had a pre-order going and was 100% going through with it because the company I work for was willing to pay for it due to my traveling. Last second they turn around and say "Cancel that order, we MIGHT be getting you a company car".

I need an exhaust didn't wanna pull the $800 myself. Oh well, maybe some day.

As for those ebay strut braces.... really? theres no way they are comparable to Strut Braces like Stillen or Cattman. I guess for $40 it's worth a shot, but I don't want to throw away $40 either.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:37 PM

I don't think strut tower braces do much other than look nice, which is why I bought that same ebay bar last night
Old 07-06-2010, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by The MAXX
As for those ebay strut braces.... really? theres no way they are comparable to Strut Braces like Stillen or Cattman. I guess for $40 it's worth a shot, but I don't want to throw away $40 either.
That flimsy-looking FSTB is very similar in design to the one that comes with the 350z Touring from the factory.

Really, the FSTB doesn't do much for our cars. I even have the beefier CustomMaxima ones from the when CustomEnterprises owned the website. Outside of being it looking pretty, I didn't feel much in handling when I put it on. The price Stillen charges is definitely off the wall.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:58 PM

Happy for you, OP. These suspension bolt-ons will introduce a very happy change to your Maxima.

Stillen is a good place to get quality parts for outrageous prices. Consider the premium dollars offset by the time you don't need to spend researching.

Sure wish someone else manufactured a RSTB...
Old 07-06-2010, 01:59 PM

most will say that most strut bars are going to be the same.. but there are some that will defend stillen and their high prices.. but its your money, IMO it doesn't do much to the car, just another mod to add to the list and compliments the engine lol
Old 07-06-2010, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by tookrzy4u192
that bar is trash.
it will flex at those joints and the whole purpose of a strut bar is to limit or totally stop flex as much as possible!
so thats a waste of $30
Old 07-06-2010, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by j23a45m9
that bar is trash.
it will flex at those joints and the whole purpose of a strut bar is to limit or totally stop flex as much as possible!
so thats a waste of $30
Those strut flanges look awfully weak. Here's a pic of mine from Courtesy Nissan.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:05 PM

Brian of Cattman told me he is working with someone to manufacture new FSTB and RSTB! Lets hope it works out. But then again, prices are similar to Stillen.

Btw. Ebay FSTB is made of aluminum. recycled soda cans I'm sure.
These other companies use durable quality materials that I would suppose would actually help do its job - reduce body roll/flex. I don't see soda cans helping with that.

Quote from Stillen:
"STILLEN Strut Tower Bars are made from the highest quality materials which are chosen based on the unique requirements of each application. Materials range from 6061-T6 aluminum, 304 Stainless Steel and Carbon SteelSTILLEN Strut Tower Bars are made from the highest quality materials which are chosen based on the unique requirements of each application. Materials range from 6061-T6 aluminum, 304 Stainless Steel and Carbon Steel"

Cattman Quote:
"Cattman’s own advanced design, featuring the light weight and strength of an all-titanium crossbar. Universal fit for all 1989-2002 Maximas. On sale through December "
Old 07-06-2010, 04:35 PM

Racingline has a nice fstb.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:42 PM

whats the courtesy price?

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
Those strut flanges look awfully weak. Here's a pic of mine from Courtesy Nissan.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:44 PM

Brian of Cattman told me he is working with someone to manufacture new FSTB and RSTB! Lets hope it works out. But then again, prices are similar to Stillen.
What?! Catts is going to design a FSTB again?

OP, safe bet: this is the bar worth waiting for.

Originally Posted by SteveB123
Racingline has a nice fstb.
Solid connectors, perfect length, lightweight material, strong design, attractive looks, well-priced.

If you just can't wait for Cattman, this is the bar to purchase today.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by a33_ridah
whats the courtesy price?
I paid $40 I think. That was years ago.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35
so you had a cattman 3" and downgraded to a megan? either that or change ur sig
Damn I said don't take it to the *** But F33k It if you trip I told you I wasn't saying nothing about The Maxx but oh well Good Luck with your ride to The Maxx!!

Last edited by Rods03Max619; 07-07-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:26 AM

Its hard to understand your run on sentences Rods, no offense. But does it matter if someone is lying about what they have?

I personally haven't done that. Yes I got premature after I pre-ordered my 3" exhaust and put it in my sig. I also never said I had cattman headers. But pics will be up once I have my car in picture worthy condition. Stock looking cars aren't fun to look at.

Maybe I'll take a tip from you and place "Waiting on" next to my recent purchases so as I am not to deceive anyone?
Old 07-07-2010, 07:36 AM

But does it matter if someone is lying about what they have?
Honestly? It only matters to the person misrepresenting their ride. Everything else is just noise.

The real question is which is more important to you, the mod, or the mod list?
Old 07-07-2010, 07:48 AM

Its hard to understand your run on sentences Rods, no offense. But does it matter if someone is lying about what they have?

I personally haven't done that. Yes I got premature after I pre-ordered my 3" exhaust and put it in my sig. I also never said I had cattman headers. But pics will be up once I have my car in picture worthy condition. Stock looking cars aren't fun to look at.

Maybe I'll take a tip from you and place "Waiting on" next to my recent purchases so as I am not to deceive anyone?
I'm with you here, most of us here are 21+ years old. Hey if you lie about what you have its just impressing others, and makes you feel bad on the inside knowing you dont have it.

As for dude talking about posting pics here and or cardomain, I did that for every pair of Jordan sneakers I got to show I had them weeks in advance when i was 14-17. Its not that serious to do so for one that only attracts the dudes that want it and will take it off your car! Posting pics is cool but you really not about oh I must prove I have "cattman 3 exhaust, and headers" do it too show your doing the work yourself and not being beat in the head at a exhaust shop to put the $1600 investment on for you for another $200-400.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:37 AM

on that note... I must admit... I don't even own a Maxima..... but a Mitsubishi Eclipse
Old 07-07-2010, 04:28 PM

I'm with you here, most of us here are 21+ years old. Hey if you lie about what you have its just impressing others, and makes you feel bad on the inside knowing you dont have it.

As for dude talking about posting pics here and or cardomain, I did that for every pair of Jordan sneakers I got to show I had them weeks in advance when i was 14-17. Its not that serious to do so for one that only attracts the dudes that want it and will take it off your car! Posting pics is cool but you really not about oh I must prove I have "cattman 3 exhaust, and headers" do it too show your doing the work yourself and not being beat in the head at a exhaust shop to put the $1600 investment on for you for another $200-400.
Damn didn't know people jack exhaust parts where your at, where I'm at people are into Maxima's but not that much to jack a exhaust, plenty EVO's STI, Charger SRT and etc.. all hooked up. I'm just a small fish in a Big Pond!!
Old 07-07-2010, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
Damn didn't know people jack exhaust parts where your at, where I'm at people are into Maxima's but not that much to jack a exhaust, plenty EVO's STI, Charger SRT and etc.. all hooked up. I'm just a small fish in a Big Pond!!
If it's there and someone wants it im sure the whole car would be gone not just your exhaust. everything you have running on the streets is the same out here! but anyway back to your regular scheduled program
Old 07-07-2010, 04:54 PM

nice purchase, how much were the FSTB and RSB??? i think i wouldve gottn headers
Old 07-08-2010, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
nice purchase, how much were the FSTB and RSB??? i think i wouldve gottn headers
RSTB - $143
RSB - $292
FSTB - N/A (waiting on a response from a member selling for $100 shipped)

I most certainly want headers, but I have no idea who to go with. Though I haven't done much research into getting headers yet. But if I get headers, I should probably buy an Y-Pipe also, no?

I'm the type of person who doesn't mind paying a higher price for a better product, which is why I won't buy no ebay FSTB. I don't like to cheap out on a product and have it break later on only to have to buy something like it again. My motto , "Buy nice, not twice"
Old 07-08-2010, 09:12 AM

RSTB - $143
RSB - $292
FSTB - N/A (waiting on a response from a member selling for $100 shipped)

I most certainly want headers, but I have no idea who to go with. Though I haven't done much research into getting headers yet. But if I get headers, I should probably buy an Y-Pipe also, no?

I'm the type of person who doesn't mind paying a higher price for a better product, which is why I won't buy no ebay FSTB. I don't like to cheap out on a product and have it break later on only to have to buy something like it again. My motto , "Buy nice, not twice"
just get a cattman y pipe. the power is made from the y pipe not the headers from what i read!
Old 07-08-2010, 09:23 AM

just get a cattman y pipe. the power is made from the y pipe not the headers from what i read!
For the 3.0 liter 5.0 gen, that seems the consensus, yes. Get Catt's y-pipe for the 2000-2001 Max. There was a somewhat heated discussion on this only a few weeks ago...

Three bills is way-y-y too much for a RSB, when the Progress bar is half that. They're both pretty much the same thing. Regardless of the cost, you'll certainly like what it does for your handling. Um, pretty blue brackets, too.

I think I want to play with a RSTB. I really wish someone else made one today except Stillen. Seriously, I'd even buy it from CustomMaxima. (No, just kidding.)

Last edited by Rochester; 07-08-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

youre better off getting the RSB and get the ebay FSTB since FSTB doesnt do much for our cars anyways.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:20 AM

This "FSTB does nothing" is BS, so much that it's becoming cliche.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
This "FSTB does nothing" is BS, so much that it's becoming cliche.
People need to start saying "it does nothing noticeable...unless you have other suspension mods then it's worth it."
Old 07-08-2010, 11:44 AM

True. Everyone has different levels of awareness when it comes to their car. The better statement is, "Most people don't notice a difference with a FSTB".

Then again, most people don't notice a lot of things. The OP is about to install this thing, let him decide for himself how it fits his sensibilities.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:02 PM

Actually I'm still looking for a FSTB. I personally am highly aware of every little bit of movement and motion in my car, we're like one when we drive. Kinda Avatar esque...

Everything else will be in place on my suspension before the FSTB. So I think once it is installed, at that point will be the best way to notice anything. And I plan on taking every U-turn, sharp off/on ramp, and rotary possible (i'm sure a lot of you don't know of the "rotary") .
Old 07-08-2010, 12:04 PM

That's nuts. I paid $21 shipped for a cheapo ebay one. It's been holding up perfect and still looks great. The minimal affects will not justify spending more than $50 IMO.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:11 PM

For the 3.0 liter 5.0 gen, that seems the consensus, yes. Get Catt's y-pipe for the 2000-2001 Max. There was a somewhat heated discussion on this only a few weeks ago...

Three bills is way-y-y too much for a RSB, when the Progress bar is half that. They're both pretty much the same thing. Regardless of the cost, you'll certainly like what it does for your handling. Um, pretty blue brackets, too.

I think I want to play with a RSTB. I really wish someone else made one today except Stillen. Seriously, I'd even buy it from CustomMaxima. (No, just kidding.)
in the end I only paid $92 more for Stillen than I did Progress. Stillen uses a stronger steel than others, which is why I decided to pay the higher premium. It's all relative I guess.

Good mention of the Y-Pipe. My main focus was completing my suspension and then moving onto performance. Cattman's Y-Pipe is next on the list. I'm going to have to search for that topic you speak of.

And like I said earlier, Brian had made brief mention of getting all these other suspension parts back into production. It's just about him finding the right manufacturer and I believe he is in talks with someone now about it.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:21 PM

And I plan on taking every U-turn, sharp off/on ramp, and rotary possible (i'm sure a lot of you don't know of the "rotary").
We just got a string of rotary intersections at the end of one of our major roadways. One of the only ones in the area. Really hate those things. Mostly because people around here don't know how to use them, if you've never done so before. (Ryan, if you're still reading this... the North end of 590 as you get to Seabreeze.)

But you're right, a rotary is a good way to judge the effects of a FSTB. Also, get a feel for what it's like to launch hard into a turn from a standing start. Then do it again with the FSTB on the car. There will be a whole lot less wiggle going on as you try to wrestle your FWD car straight.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:18 AM

We just got a string of rotary intersections at the end of one of our major roadways. One of the only ones in the area. Really hate those things. Mostly because people around here don't know how to use them, if you've never done so before. (Ryan, if you're still reading this... the North end of 590 as you get to Seabreeze.)

But you're right, a rotary is a good way to judge the effects of a FSTB. Also, get a feel for what it's like to launch hard into a turn from a standing start. Then do it again with the FSTB on the car. There will be a whole lot less wiggle going on as you try to wrestle your FWD car straight.
My plan is to test before I put on the RSB + RSTB. Then again once there on. Then once again when the FSTB is on. I have the perfect area near me (which is not perfect whatsoever) to test this out.

Quick description of my little course:
Really sharp off ramp, onto an extremely bumpy 2 lane highway (for about 1/4 mile). That goes into a slightly curved highway for about 2 miles until I reach another sharp off ramp which leads to a Rotary.

I'd say this would be the best way to test out the feel of my suspension parts, giving it a little bit of everything. I'm really hoping to notice differences.

- as for rotaries, they F'n Blow. In Massachusetts, we have them in a lot of places and even the people living here do not know how to use them. They seem to confuse the **** out of everyone.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:26 AM

^^^
Nice. Sounds like you're really connected to your driving experience. Given that sensitivity, you won't be disappointed.

Be realistic in your expectations, too. The changes will be welcome, but your old Maxima will not magically transform into a M5. (Bummer about that, eh?)

Quick Reply: Big spender today