5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Driver door

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 06:26 AM

Driver door

Hello everybody...

As far as some of us are conserned, there has been passed problems with the door locks jamming making it impossible for the door to open.
Well today, this is my problem. It's been two weeks now that my driver door has been stuck on the lock position.
The first week, I would be abble to get it opened but than after 3 times of closing the door, it would bounce back opened <? and I would find myself having to lock for the door to close.
When I press unlock from either the remote or from the door panel itself, it jams and nothing happens. Now I have to get out the passenger door... pretty embarrassing.

I've read a thread on this subject before but cant seem to find it but it didn't have what I was looking for...

I took an appointment at the dealership for this monday(07-05-10) and obviously, they dont know about the recall for that problem! But I was wondering:
a) How much should I expect to spend? (Canada)
b) Is there an alternate solution?

The dealer told me to spray WD-40 down the door as often as possible till then... Should I spray from the inside of the window or the outside?
Old 07-02-2010, 03:31 AM

anyone?
Old 07-02-2010, 05:48 AM

WD-40 works up to some extent but the problem comes after few months. I had same problem like yours, driver side door would not open especially in winters and someone over here suggested of 3 in 1 oil and it worked perfectly. Put some oil inside the lock **** where it locks and unlocks the door. You don't have to remove the door panel, just lube it around the **** and you should be fine. Thanks
Old 07-02-2010, 06:57 AM

I wonder if this is linked to the common problem of sagging doors. If you door is running low, it won't match up nicely with the latch. You can test the door by lifting it up and down at the end away from the hinges. It is easiest to do that with the window open. If you feel free play up and down, the hinge pins and bushings are probably worn out. I had mine replaced by the dealer, and they sent it to a body shop to ensure the door would be aligned, using the right tools.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Wildcat_Max
WD-40 works up to some extent but the problem comes after few months. I had same problem like yours, driver side door would not open especially in winters and someone over here suggested of 3 in 1 oil and it worked perfectly. Put some oil inside the lock **** where it locks and unlocks the door. You don't have to remove the door panel, just lube it around the **** and you should be fine. Thanks
When you say lock ****, you mean the (lock/unlock) latch inside or where the key goes on the outside? I'm not to sure what you are refering to.
Thank you for the input.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:07 PM

Yea my passenger door wont just open sometimes, mostly in winter though.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by afrofranzy
When you say lock ****, you mean the (lock/unlock) latch inside or where the key goes on the outside? I'm not to sure what you are refering to.
Thank you for the input.
Yes the latch inside (on the door handle) and also use some lube on the lock mechanism behind the door.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:24 PM

Drivers door won't unlock

So I get my car back from the body shop from having some deep scratches repaired and when I get home I can't unlock the drivers door. It sounds like the actuator jams and won't fully unlock the door. I have an appointment with the dealership tomorrow for unrelated issue, will ask them what happened to my door lock? Hopefully I can get a straight answer, will let you know what they say.