5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I was pulled over yesterday because of my LED's!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 02:50 PM

Ok.. reading the OP's posting and the many responses, I would like to add this:
1. Your license plates lights are perfect, cop saw a chance to 'look' for other citations to write (like the expire insurance docs - which is now common with people getting their insurance online, especially those that opt for the auto-pay option tend to forget to print the updated cards)
2. I love your story telling, some of the best I've read here. - As for how you refer to the officer, LOVE IT.
3. No not all police are the same, I can tell you in my 24 years of driving I've ran into ALL types. I did learn two important things, firstly, let them think they are in control, but 2ndly if your NOT wrong - STICK TO YOUR TRUTHS, no matter what.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:01 PM

I get pulled over at least once a month for no reason. A cop once told he thought my car looked like a UFO. uhhhhh....
Old 05-11-2010, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
So far, three times pulled over in my Maxima, three warnings.

probably cause you've detailed their cars in the past!
Old 05-11-2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by M1RAG3
I get pulled over at least once a month for no reason. A cop once told he thought my car looked like a UFO. uhhhhh....

...weeeeeeelllllllllllll now that you mention it.........

lol j/k
Old 05-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by ZGadson
So what do the thousands of people do who have vacation houses in other states? Its basically the same thing.
they are on VACATION...they didnt MOVE to a new state
Old 05-11-2010, 09:36 PM

i got pulled because my 3K fogs were 'green' according to the retarded cop...

i got pulled because i had my hazard lights disconnected listening/tuning my new deck...and the idiot asked if we were smoking weed in teh car..*smh*...

last month alone, i've got followed 7 times by county cops....yea...
Old 05-11-2010, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
Well, HID foglights are illegal no matter the color, and 3000k HIDs are illegal no matter the application, so you were breaking the law twice.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Cletus

i got pulled because i had my hazard lights disconnected listening/tuning my new deck...and the idiot asked if we were smoking weed in teh car..*smh*...

last month alone, i've got followed 7 times by county cops....yea...
stop breaking the law and forcing them to do their job
Old 05-11-2010, 10:37 PM

Hey guys I just saw a cop on the road today! ya thats all he was just driving and I was just driving and we drove right by each other, it was crazy! bwahahahahah He was a really nice cop.....

Well Im glad you guys liked my story telling, I was pretty tired when I wrote that the other night, Im going to have to go back and read it again... Yes there was a Fresh Prince reference in there, I was going to take it further but decided it would be lame. Im surprised that somebody noticed that actually.

I considered doing and english degree when I was fresh out of high school, but naw really I dont think you can get paid any decent money just writing words... but thank you for the compliments and whoever gave this thread a star thats pretty cool, never had one of those before.

Okay Okay lets have some more pull over stories this is interesting. Please lets keep it respectful towards the boys in blue bc I dont want this thread getting locked up. I have a lot of these stories and am willing to share, but too lazy to write any at this time. Lets hear some more from you guys while this thing is still rolling.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:59 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Since I know at least Soonerfan is in this thread, I have more of a question than a story. Since I am planning on getting my carry permit, let's assume I have a firearm in the car when I get pulled over... The officer asks for my license, registration, and proof of insurance.

What do you think is the best way to handle the situation? Assume the gun is in the glovebox with the papers. Just tell the officer and hand over my permit with my license? Have the officer retrieve the paperwork from the glovebox so he doesn't get over neverous about my hand being too close to it? Or should I keep it elsewhere in the car? If so, where?
Old 05-12-2010, 05:13 AM

yeah let alone modding your car, the liscense plate bulbs is just another thing to catch thier eye.

i left mine stock
Old 05-12-2010, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by M1RAG3
That's the practical argument against visual mods.

Yes, but it's a really cool looking UFO.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:06 AM

if they were as illegal as said...then he would have been on his job and NOT given me a warning. i dont GIVE them a reason to 'do their job' they hassle me..follow me..etc. dont come on to me like i'm doing all wrong and their doing all right, cause thats a crock of bull****. just like they speed through town just because...pfft, yea right. get over the self righteousness. the colors on my lights are legal in themselves, everything on my car is legal. they see 'bright colorful lights' and wheels and see an opportunity to harrass, just like they do any other person with wheels and lights.

i guess next you're going to tell me my exhaust system is illegal too SMH
Old 05-12-2010, 07:12 AM

I wish i would get pulled over for my lights. especially my headlights. like these are not factory lights, yea i know.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:17 AM

if they were as illegal as said...then he would have been on his job and NOT given me a warning. i dont GIVE them a reason to 'do their job' they hassle me..follow me..etc. dont come on to me like i'm doing all wrong and their doing all right, cause thats a crock of bull****. just like they speed through town just because...pfft, yea right. get over the self righteousness. the colors on my lights are legal in themselves, everything on my car is legal. they see 'bright colorful lights' and wheels and see an opportunity to harrass, just like they do any other person with wheels and lights.

i guess next you're going to tell me my exhaust system is illegal too SMH
Erm what? Your foglights aren't remotely close to legal. The only legal bulb you can put in them is a "yellow" or "white" H3 halogen with a wattage of 55w or less. Having a green/yellow HID kit in there is completely illegal. If you had them off when you were driving, you may have been able to get away with "They're for off-road use only", but since you were driving with them on, you were completely breaking the law. Don't want to get pulled over? Then go back to the stock foglight bulbs. Nobody is going to think they're illegal. If you're willing to operate lighting equipment that isn't DOT-approved for on-road use, then don't be surprised if you get hassled about it.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rydicule
Since I know at least Soonerfan is in this thread, I have more of a question than a story. Since I am planning on getting my carry permit, let's assume I have a firearm in the car when I get pulled over... The officer asks for my license, registration, and proof of insurance.

What do you think is the best way to handle the situation? Assume the gun is in the glovebox with the papers. Just tell the officer and hand over my permit with my license? Have the officer retrieve the paperwork from the glovebox so he doesn't get over neverous about my hand being too close to it? Or should I keep it elsewhere in the car? If so, where?
I usually carry it on my side but if it's in the glovebox let the officer know. Some officers are comfortable with firearms and their ability to read a situation but some are going to react different. Do not be mad if you are asked out of the car. Depending on the area and time you may be cuffed.

I was taught that if a gun isn't going to be involved don't mention it, but if you go anywhere near it then tell the officer and let him/her dictate the rest. Move slow and be polite.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:22 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by 5 ltr. beater
probably cause you've detailed their cars in the past!
Actually, I did detail a car for the then Arlington PD media spokesperson years ago.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by SoonerFan
stop breaking the law and forcing them to do their job
Jason, lets get real for a moment. A cop who pulls someone over then makes some lame *** excuse (HID fogs, reflectors, etc) for doing so, is just trying to harass the public.

It's actually quite funny, a cop will harass someone for having wrong colored lights, but they don't do **** when criminals break into your house or car and steal your crap.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
Jason, lets get real for a moment. A cop who pulls someone over then makes some lame *** excuse (HID fogs, reflectors, etc) for doing so, is just trying to harass the public.

It's actually quite funny, a cop will harass someone for having wrong colored lights, but they don't do **** when criminals break into your house or car and steal your crap.
THANK YOU...ask that same cop where is the perp who stole my GSR 3 years ago
Old 05-12-2010, 03:01 PM

Man people always hate the police until they need them. Cops do not pull over people just to harass them. I mean seriously, they have better things to do. It is a pretextual stop. We are lucky that people do the "dirty work" so we don't have to
Old 05-12-2010, 05:07 PM

Well guys just make sure all your paperwork is together....and watch your speeds and we'll all be ok! I speed only in areas I'm totally familiar with and there are no streets running into nor crossing, my "TESTING ZONE".....and nowhere for cops to hide.....
Old 05-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Rydicule

most states REQUIRE that when you get pulled over (and the weapon is in the vehicle) you give the police officer your permit with the other paperwork.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by 2damax
I was taught that if a gun isn't going to be involved don't mention it
terrible advice
Old 05-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Cletus

but if its against the law they have every right to pull you over..it isnt harrassment
Old 05-13-2010, 01:25 AM

alright so afeter reading this whole thing like 3 times im miore confused than ever, i want to put projectors in my car, i was looking at the ones from umnitza and the give you some options as for what bulbs you want, what should i choose if i want them to be completly legal?
Old 05-13-2010, 05:17 AM

but if its against the law they have every right to pull you over..it isnt harrassment
Just because it aint legal doesnt mean they can pull you over. Just like when I was in VA where radar detectors are illegal. They couldn't pull you over for having it, they have to have some other justification.

Jason, I know you are brainwashed into thinking cops are God and all laws are constitutional, but the facts speak speak for themselves. If a cop pulls someone over because they have clear marker lights, then that cop has no life and is just trying to take more of the tax payers money. Period.

I do however, have a real good friend who is a police officer and he refuses to give someone a speaking ticket because he said he doesn't want to boost the owners insurance companies pockets.

Police departments with a shortage of funds will always find ways of getting revenue, which is the main reason for giving someone a ticket. It's not that cop really gives a hoot what color lights the person has, he has to fill his quota.

I am not anti-police at all, lets get that straight though.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:19 AM

Man people always hate the police until they need them.
Exactly.

In the larger context, people distrust the government, except when they need the services that government provides. We call that cognitive malfunction Tea Bagger Syndrome.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:51 AM

terrible advice
Told to me by a group of officers at the academy
Old 05-13-2010, 08:55 AM

Just because it aint legal doesnt mean they can pull you over. Just like when I was in VA where radar detectors are illegal. They couldn't pull you over for having it, they have to have some other justification.

Jason, I know you are brainwashed into thinking cops are God and all laws are constitutional, but the facts speak speak for themselves. If a cop pulls someone over because they have clear marker lights, then that cop has no life and is just trying to take more of the tax payers money. Period.

I do however, have a real good friend who is a police officer and he refuses to give someone a speaking ticket because he said he doesn't want to boost the owners insurance companies pockets.

Police departments with a shortage of funds will always find ways of getting revenue, which is the main reason for giving someone a ticket. It's not that cop really gives a hoot what color lights the person has, he has to fill his quota.

I am not anti-police at all, lets get that straight though.
I do not know about other states but in CT the tax money from the tickets does not go back to the police. Also, quotas are ILLEGAL. Pretty sure that is a federal law but maybe just CT. IMO if you get pulled over for clear side markers and actually get a ticket for it then you were either an *** to the cop or that area has a real problem with vehicles
Old 05-13-2010, 11:03 AM

Had to give my take on this seems like a hand few on here is defending cop but that's most likely because you had good encounter....if you call this doing their job then smh. .......Sunday right after church still in my suit head to toe went to my boy house to change my springs and brakes he lives in decent area very quiet local block so job done I'm backing out of the drive way in my black Max with no tints on the front 25% Others now I'm on the road front of driveway in drive boy on the passenger side outside of car so I'm telling him cool see you tomorrow mind you its was cool here and he only had on a long sleeve so his hands in his pockets here come those pigs driving by they passed us 2 car length stop ........................back up hop out. ....I'm still in car. .........to my boy y is your hands in your pockets and what's are you doing here. .......I live here my house behind me .......now other to me what u doing here ........I just came out of that driveway "which they saw me do" from fixing my car.....you don't have any drugs or weapons in here do u. ......... no I'm coming from church and stop here to fix my car.......ok step out so i can search the car.......okay me and boy at back of car. ..........u guys don't have any drugs on you do you .......no we was just fixing my car. ..........cop to cop everything okay. .....alright y'all have a good day. If that's doing their job then shi* maybe y'all should live here in ny and see what some of u deal with for no reason. Cops problem is they take advantage of the good while the real bad azz is out their not being stop for bull like this story ???
Old 05-13-2010, 11:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

^^ Proper punctuation and grammar would make your post a whole lot easier to read and understand. I would like to be sympathetic, but i didnt really understand much of what you said.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:21 AM

haha took me like 3 tries but I think I understand the story. Doesn't seem that bad to me
Old 05-13-2010, 11:24 AM
dot dot dot ...

So ... brakes and spring job in your suit?
Old 05-13-2010, 11:31 AM

If reminessin isn't Caucasian, that reads like textbook racial profiling.

Either way, it sucks. Based solely on this event description, (which was really, really poorly written), you have my sympathies.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:46 AM

negative...they must light up AND REFLECT red and amber...even with colored bulbs, clear sidemarkers are illegal
Not true. The rears have to reflect red but the fronts can be clear but MUST light up amber. They don't have to reflect amber like you're saying.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:53 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by OOmaxSE
Not true. The rears have to reflect red but the fronts can be clear but MUST light up amber. They don't have to reflect amber like you're saying.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
If reminessin isn't Caucasian, that reads like textbook racial profiling.

Either way, it sucks. Based solely on this event description, (which was really, really poorly written), you have my sympathies.
So if he is white then its not racial profiling? What if the cop is African American? Still racial profiling? What if the cop had a call a month ago about someone fitting his description (i.e. race) dealing drugs? Lots we don't know about this story.

OH and police are allowed to racial profile KINDA. For example, if a white person is in a community known to sell drugs and populated 98% by African Americans, you can articulate that based on your training and past experiences he is more likely than not about to commit a crime...which is probable cause. I was in the north end of Hartford and forced out of my car, cuffed, had them search my car, and they searched me including looking down my pants..weird but they are allowed to do so.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:18 PM

So if he is white then its not racial profiling? What if the cop is African American? Still racial profiling? What if the cop had a call a month ago about someone fitting his description (i.e. race) dealing drugs? Lots we don't know about this story.
That's why I qualified my sympathies with, "Based solely on this event description." Yep, lots and lots we don't know, but based solely on this description... Geeze, I was being sympathetic, for crying out loud.

Arguments alluding to reverse racism are thin at best, since that concept is a misnomer invented by bigots desperate for rationalization.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:12 PM

Cut me some slack I'm at work on my phone lol which is not allowed but hey ill risk it for the max kinda lol and my phone auto change the words it self . ..........and yes I'm black so it is racial profiling but get this the first person they saw was my boy and he's a clean cut 5"6 130lb lol Indian so y'all tell me is it still profiling or just fu**ed up cops......and I didn't do the job my boy didn't can't get my white dirty lol
Old 05-13-2010, 02:29 PM
dot dot dot ...

Yeah, that's how my posts come out when I'm on my phone too.

I've had stuff like that happen to me, but after a certain age, I don't let it get to me, sometimes I'll use it to my advantage

Since I'm a brown dude.

Quick Reply: I was pulled over yesterday because of my LED's!!!