5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Anyone about to pull engine/trans/both? Need an assist!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 07:23 AM

Anyone about to pull engine/trans/both? Need an assist!

Anyone out there about to do a clutch job or tranny swap, or in the middle of one? I need a favor.

Short question : I need the distance between one of the "teeth" on the crank position sensor ring and the sensor itself.

When I dropped that '08 Quest VQ35DE in, I had to relocate my CPS due to the block differences. The engine rear housing at the Quest's CPS mounting location is thinner than my factory location, so the sensor was contacting the ring long before I could tighten it up.

This may or may not be contributing to my P0335, but if I have a chance to, I will "shim" it to the proper distance- I just need to know what that is. I didn't think to measure when I had my engine and trans seperated, and I don't think you can unless you were to remove the engine or trans or seperate them, whatever you're doing.

So, anyone?
Old 05-10-2010, 07:41 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

Which upper oil pan did you use.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:48 AM

E- I left the engine unmolested, intact as it arrived, it was complete from drain plug to engine cover.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:01 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

If i'm not trippin right now, you should be able to use your original maxima upper oil pan.

Thats what a friend of mine did with a 4th gen 3.5 swap last week. The CPS was in a different spot. He just used an 04 upper oil pan (same as 02-03) and bolted the CPS in. Car started up and ran perfect the first time.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:23 AM

Ugh, I do not want to have to go back under the car to pull that off, but I'm not really sure it would help, to be honest.

The max's CPS mounts at what, approx. 3 o'clock?, if you're say looking from the main crank pulley, for example.

Reason I ask is cuz I think that's higher than the upper oil pan, it's more of a rear main seal housing difference. I would have drilled the Quest's block to match my trans, but it's got some big ole "relief" in it right there, basically from 3-5 o'clock, there's just a huge cut-out, so there wasn't any material to work with.

I certainly don't like where the Quest's VQ mounts its CPS, it hangs down lower than the crossmember and oil pan, definitely puts it in harm's way where road debris is concerned, but I'll deal with that after I get the thing "stabbed" right.

Thanks for the replies so far,
Old 05-11-2010, 08:25 AM

I believe an alternative form of help would simply involve someone removing their CPS and sticking a tape measure down in there. The distance from one of the signal ring teeth to the outside of the block/trans should allow me to extrapolate from there.

Just try to make sure the signal ring isn't sitting in it's "valley". There's about a 15 deg sweep of no signal "teeth", I assume Nissan designed it that way so the cps could detect TDC upon the revolution of the engine.

------------------signal "teeth"------------"flat spot"----------"signal teeth"
Looks kinda like: _|-|__|-|__|-|__|-|______________________|-|__|-|__ etc.

Actually, I don't think it would matter, so long as you knew to tell me.......

Anyone up for it?