5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I’ve finally completed my 15 post probationary period,so allow me to introduce myself

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 12:29 PM

I’ve finally completed my 15 post probationary period,so allow me to introduce myself

First let me tell you that I will not be your typical “noob/newb,” I’ve been doing this internet car forum thing for a LONG time. So I know how to search before asking questions, and how not to dig up a post from 2005 acting like it just happened yesterday. I’ve been a mod myself on Bimmerboard for years, so I know how it can be somewhat frustrating when someone new pops up asking the same question that has been asked 50,000 times before. With that being said…it takes a lot less energy to just answer it for the 50,001 time than to belittle the new cat for asking it. I see there is no shortage RTFM and search bellowers here, so I’ll get off that soapbox while I’m ahead.

Anyway, I finally purchased a 2002 6MT Maxima last week after an EXTENSIVE search. I didn’t want to spend a lot of money, and it seems that Maxima’s are selling far above their NADA/KBB/Edmunds values. Even at the auctions they are selling for pretty pennies, I’ll post those numbers in another thread for any interested. I really wanted a 03 Titanium edition, and missed out on one with 121k miles for 5k. The 03 TE’s are/were sky high, and then this 02 came along squarely in my price range. I wasn’t crazy about the color, but it wasn’t black so it wasn’t a deal breaker. Even with it’s slightly jaded accident history, this is by FAR the cleanest 02 I’ve laid my eyes on. As far as issues…lets see...one of the foglights has a very slight crack and I need 2 new push tabs for the splash guard under the front bumper. That’s it. Everything including the BOSE works perfectly, no gear grind, and no oil consumption that I’ve noticed in the 600 miles I’ve had it. I have everything except NAV, TCS, and HLSD. I did a SEARCH and found out that I can swap a 04+ tranny in and have HLSD, so I may do that one day. It was nice to see the chrome door sills, so I ALMOST have a TE! I’m VERY pleased for a car that was WELL south of 6k.

I’ve always been a Honda guy (not Civic’s as my 6’5” 290 frame isn’t happy in there), but now classic American muscle is where I live. I’ve had A LOT of cars. I’ll spare posting the pics of ALL of them, but I will post a few later. I’ve had two MTX SHO’s (94 and 95), a 94 6 speed Legend SEDAN, a 91 NA 300Z, 01 740i sport, 96 LT4 Corvette any many more. Oh yeah, had a 00 Busa too. I’m not into “modding.” The most I’ll do is maybe change the wheels, add tint (already done), and add a real sound system. Body kits and drops? No way. Now before the slamaholics, Autobot Jazz body kit havers, and resident ifitaintdroppeditaintrightians tar and feather me - allow me to explain that I've been there and done that. Long gone (for me) are the days of pinky finger space between my tire and fender, Eibach pro kit vs sportline discussions, and ball busting and potential low sperm count producing coil over rides. Though I'm not mad at anyone still in the phase, I'm just too d@mn old.

Anyway, here I am for better or worse. Hopefully I can contribute something soon.

91 Z, sold last year. Wish I still had these wheels for the Maxima:

95 SC300 - current:

My car show queens....

66 C-10

69 SS427 Impala convertible:

Old 04-26-2010, 12:34 PM

Welcome man... Cool car history, more extensive than mine...

Car looks good, and I wouldn't be crazy about the color either but it looks good on the 5.5 gen! I don't like the color of my car either but it has every option, was inexpensive and had reasonable miles, so I picked it up (sterling silver)

Anyways enjoy your stay on the .org.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:36 PM

drop it or :matt93se:

I kid
Old 04-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

nice old schools. welcome.

may be hitting you up as i build my bel air up.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:16 PM

welcome bud! nice looking cars! im more interested in seeing more pics of the max though!
Old 04-26-2010, 02:01 PM

Nice clean catch on the Max!
Old 04-26-2010, 02:25 PM

I'm waiting on my 15 post probationary too, so here's one more post towards it. Can't wait to be able to post something of my own. My Maxima is pearl white, and it looks pretty good on it. If you could tint the windows with a similarily colored tint, it might make up for the lousy color.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:32 PM

the color on that car is fine... I like it. 6spd ftw you lucky bstard lol
Drop, tint, stillen lip, smoke sidemarkers, I/H/E, nwp block plate and spacers... done

Nice purchase welcome to the org.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:33 PM

I like your Z32, and your SC300 man. Gotta love the 2JZ. Welcome
Old 04-26-2010, 02:39 PM

Welcome to the Org! - Clean 5.5 you found, color is nice on that version (wouldn't be good for most other generations in my opinion). I'm not a big OMG it needs rims and a drop person either... I'll be doing the later gen (ie 5.5 SE rims) on my max since they look stock, fit the car, and LOOK good... as for lowering - I will eventually, but more for ride control than appearance (only going down 1.5" front and 1.25 rear).

Keep the shiny side up.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:39 PM

I like SC300.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by mrood1986
I like SC300.
Me too. And the old Z.

Originally Posted by BIG CTY
I’m not into “modding.” The most I’ll do is maybe change the wheels, add tint (already done)
OK then, if you're not modding, why are you here? You rambled on validating your cred as a serious enthusiast (quite well, I might add), then said all you're going to do is a few non-stock visuals?

Yeah, I don't think so. My bet is that by the end of this summer, you're going to have most all of the bolt-on's that work well on our cars. C'mon, you know it's true!
Old 04-26-2010, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Me too. And the old Z.

OK then, if you're not modding, why are you here? You rambled on validating your cred as a serious enthusiast (quite well, I might add), then said all you're going to do is a few non-stock visuals?

Yeah, I don't think so. My bet is that by the end of this summer, you're going to have most all of the bolt-on's that work well on our cars. C'mon, you know it's true!
That is pretty much always how it goes.
I don't even try to tell myself I won't be modding anymore... If I get a new car, I just look for a less friendly car for modding. Doesn't stop me though, there's always something.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Welcome to the Org. Enjoy your stay...
Old 04-26-2010, 03:20 PM

Thanks for the welcome everyone, I appreciate it. Now back to my validation:

Originally Posted by Cant_Get_Ryte
nice old schools. welcome.

may be hitting you up as i build my bel air up.
No sweat man, always ready to talk about old schools.

Originally Posted by shadetreemech77
If you could tint the windows with a similarily colored tint, it might make up for the lousy color.
The color has actually grown on me. I did get a metallic type tint that fits the color very well IMO. I wish I had the 03 polished wheels though,the flat look on this color is so blah.

Fair question. I'm here because this seems to be the place to get answers and learn as much as I can about 5th gens. Take a look to your left and you'll notice that I'm a 4 year old newbie. I've been here before to find answers for a co-worker some time ago who had questions. I like to learn as much as I can about whatever I buy so that can hold a reasonably intelligent conversation should I run into someone with similar interests. For the most part I also dig the camaraderie (I can live without ridiculous replies like "thats gay" or "who cares" or ridiculing someone for repeat questions), and though modding is no LONGER my thing on a depreciating asset - I really like seeing what others do with their cars. I've gotten to a point where comfort, a certain level of refinement, safety, and MPG are higher considerations. I've done a LOT of modding in my 35 years, but I can ASSURE you that this car will not be modded outside of what was mentioned. Cars are just toys to me. When I get tired of them, off they go (except my two saving accounts ) so I typically don't get too vested.

There I go rambling again

Last edited by BIG CTY; 04-26-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:47 PM

Sounds like you're getting old :P And now that's post number 15!!!!! Woohoo!!
Old 04-26-2010, 04:58 PM

Me too. And the old Z.

Says the guy with two power mods...

Last edited by MoncefA33; 04-26-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:03 PM

For the most part I also dig the camaraderie...
That I understand. There are some good people here, and a fair amount of camaraderie. For example...

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
...says the 3.0 with the pedo bear sticker.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey man, love your max. 6spd is where it is at! Mod out as far as you want too.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:12 PM

That I understand. There are some good people here, and a fair amount of camaraderie. For example...

...says the 3.0 with the pedo bear sticker.
And a few other things that'll leave your car behind. Just sayin'.

Long gone (for me) are the days of pinky finger space between my tire and fender, Eibach pro kit vs sportline discussions, and ball busting and potential low sperm count producing coil over rides. Though I'm not mad at anyone still in the phase, I'm just too d@mn old.
Sounds good dude, excited to see how this car turns out, even if the mods will be relatively mild.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:37 PM

Old 04-26-2010, 05:44 PM

welcome
Old 04-26-2010, 06:33 PM

And a few other things that'll leave your car behind. Just sayin'.
That's what I'm talking about. Can you just feel the love? I'm feeling it.

OP, you're going to really like your Maxima. Bought my '03 brand new, and thoroughly enjoy driving it each and every day. See you around the Org.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:06 PM

welcome aboard, just an FYI, that color took me a while to accept mine, lol, but it does look quite nice when done right.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:12 PM

Lowered on progress (like stock) with g35 c's. I see nothing wrong with the color. Welcome and enjoy your stay.

Previous buddys car btw.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:21 AM

Here was my max before I let it go. Was a 5th gen and not a 3.5 but it was the same color. What I think made the most difference was my tint. It wasn't a flat black, it had a bronzish tint to it, but wasn't reflective. There wasn't a picture in the world that could justify its looks. Was so nice in person.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:32 AM

BIG CTY, here are a few things you might like to do that, while still "mods" in the true sense, they aren't complex or transformational, and might still appeal to you:

• Free STS Mod (reduce the vertical throw on your shifter)
  • Energy Suspension shifter bushings (for a more solid shift)
  • E-Brake Leather Boot (match your shifter leather for under $50)
  • LED bulb replacements (plug-n-play bulbs)
  • Fog-light re-wire (turn on your fogs w/o headlights)
  • Side-marker re-wire (blink alternately with your turn signals)
Old 04-27-2010, 08:03 AM

Once again, 'preciate the warm welcome from everyone. This place seems pretty cool thus far.

Originally Posted by e-subliminal-2

Lowered on progress (like stock) with g35 c's. I see nothing wrong with the color. Welcome and enjoy your stay.
You know, that looks pretty good. I'm not a lowered hater, just not into it for myself anymore. But that is a nice looking car/stance.

Originally Posted by merovi
Here was my max before I let it go. Was a 5th gen and not a 3.5 but it was the same color. What I think made the most difference was my tint. It wasn't a flat black, it had a bronzish tint to it, but wasn't reflective. There wasn't a picture in the world that could justify its looks. Was so nice in person.

Yeah, mine has a bronzish tint and some reflection so it really makes the color look nice IMO. I actually LIKE the color now, but I have to do something about the wheels. I'd like the OEM polished Titanium edition wheels, or wheels that have the finish of the g35 coupe wheels I had pictured on my Z above.

BIG CTY, here are a few things you might like to do that, while still "mods" in the true sense, they aren't complex or transformational, and might still appeal to you:

Touche' my across the lake from Canada brethren, it seems you were right after all! Every single thing you listed are indeed mods that I would be interested in. Thus far the tint and license plate LED's are all I've done. Wheels are on the menu, but I like the sound of some of these - especially the last 3. I should probably get to searching to see how to make all of that happen. I guess a real car enthusiast will never NOT mod, the modding will just be of a more subtle nature. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 04-27-2010, 08:23 AM

[*] LED bulb replacements (plug-n-play bulbs)
- Buy LED bulbs that match the bulbs of the interior. Can get pricey if you want high end but worth it IMO
[*] Fog-light re-wire (turn on your fogs w/o headlights)
- Basically under the hood in the fuse box you are going to cut the fog wire wired to the relay and splice it into something with constant power. I chose to use my AC line as that is always set to "on" when keys are in the ignition.
[*] Side-marker re-wire (blink alternately with your turn signals)
- Same as fog rewire except you splice into the turn signal blink wire.

There should be more precise write ups with pics floating around somewhere.

Last edited by merovi; 04-27-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:27 AM

Touche' my across the lake from Canada brethren, it seems you were right after all! Every single thing you listed are indeed mods that I would be interested in.

Thanks for the suggestions!
You're welcome. Figured I should say something constructive. Probably should have done that first, but... well, I didn't. Everything mentioned here can be found somewhere in some thread, 10x over. g'luck.

Here's another one: with a sunlit sand maxima, you might like to replace your daytime running light wedge bulbs with something like this 25-SMD Amber bulb:

Last edited by Rochester; 04-27-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by merovi
There should be more precise write ups with pics floating around somewhere.
Sounds simple enough, thanks for getting me on the right path!

You're welcome. Figured I should say something constructive. Probably should have done that first, but... well, I didn't. Everything mentioned here can be found somewhere in some thread, 10x over. g'luck.

Here's another one: with a sunlit sand maxima, you might like to replace your daytime running light wedge bulbs with something like this 25-SMD Amber bulb:

S'all good man, I didnt take it in any type of non-constructive light. He!! as it turns out you were kinda right, I WILL be doing some "bolt on" modding. Sometime we need a little help broadening our focus. It's ironic...I actually have two of those EXACT same bulbs left over from the gauges in my 66 C-10. I got 5 LED amber bulbs at first and they weren't bright enough, then I bought these you listed. So it seems like it has begun already...
Old 05-24-2010, 03:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Welcome Big City

I have 10 post probationary left. Well it's a pain, but we have to do it.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:22 PM
You embarrass me.

Welcome, and you have definitely surpassed newbie status for sure. Hope to see the mods, no matter how intense, keep on rolling!
Old 05-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Cletus

we do intro threads now

and bump old threads to get posts

what happened to this place
Old 05-25-2010, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by SoonerFan
You're like a broken record, skipping the same pointless complaint over and over and over...

You need a reboot, Sooner. Once in a while you offer up some actual, helpful comments. Although it's weird, because when you do that, it's dry and soulless. But most of the time you just whine about the good old days.

Man, you seem so freaking unhappy. You need a new hobby, man. And a new forum, maybe.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-25-2010 at 05:50 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:32 AM

we do intro threads now

and bump old threads to get posts

A: It doesn't appear as though everyone does an intro thread, but I did. It excited me.

A: I guess some feel you gotta do what you gotta do to get your count up.

A: Up to this point, I really appreciated the welcome and suggestions. Seeing this post would lead me to ASSume that some of the 22,6xx posts you've accrued have no validity - which seems similar to bumping old threads for a post count, no? Whatever happened to it, there are more issues than an intro post for certain. I applaud you for proving that.

Last edited by BIG CTY; 05-25-2010 at 05:34 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:26 PM

A: It doesn't appear as though everyone does an intro thread, but I did. It excited me.

A: Up to this point, I really appreciated the welcome and suggestions. Seeing this post would lead me to ASSume that some of the 22,6xx posts you've accrued have no validity - which seems similar to bumping old threads for a post count, no? Whatever happened to it, there are more issues than an intro post for certain. I applaud you for proving that.
Well no awesome forum would be complete without a few downers. welcome to the org its good to see another maxima enthusiast benefiting from the org. cheers.

Last edited by webjohn; 05-25-2010 at 01:27 PM. Reason: i used org twice in one sentence. lol
Old 05-25-2010, 01:32 PM

Ohh you're not the only one who thinks this.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by jmarck122
I have 10 post probationary left. Well it's a pain, but we have to do it.

just do what i do and make senseless remarks to get your post count up! that should do it! like i'm doing right now!

lol j/k!
Old 05-26-2010, 10:59 PM

we do intro threads now

YEAH!!! how dare these newbs come on here and introduce themselves????? what kind of forum allows such nonsense??? if i wanted introductions i'd go on a dating website!

lol!!!! j/k

Quick Reply: I’ve finally completed my 15 post probationary period,so allow me to introduce myself