5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Finally got a VIAS block plate....the verdict is...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 05:15 PM

Okay...so an update.....

I have had the block on for a bit now and my current observations are as follows:
-car runs much smoother
-better gas mileage ( i get about 2 more mpg than before overall)
-I do notice the minor awkward bogging that Scottwax commented about before (where if you are driving along in a higher gear and give it just enough gas but not enough to make it downshift right away...car feels like it is towing a boat for a sec---until it downshifts and gets up in the revs) really isn't an issue though

---Overall, totally worth the 40 bucks!
Old 05-19-2010, 10:05 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
So what are you guys saying with the RPMs cause when I cruise on the freeway about 75 or 80 I'm about 3000rpms so are you just talking about what exactly? just asking you or Sparks and not being a a$$ just would like to know. And damn you never hit a 100 on a freeway?
I had my car almost 2 months before I hit 100. Not that big of a deal to me and it wasn't like I was wondering if my car could do 100.

Besides, after getting rides in some of my customer's cars (Z06s, GTRs mostly), especially the 1000 hp twin turbo Ford GT, I've been well over 100 mph a lot over the last few years anyway. BTW, the TT Ford GT hit 224 in the Texas Mile in March. From a 50 roll, with me as a passenger, we hit 160 in about 8 seconds.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
I had my car almost 2 months before I hit 100. Not that big of a deal to me and it wasn't like I was wondering if my car could do 100.

Besides, after getting rides in some of my customer's cars (Z06s, GTRs mostly), especially the 1000 hp twin turbo Ford GT, I've been well over 100 mph a lot over the last few years anyway. BTW, the TT Ford GT hit 224 in the Texas Mile in March. From a 50 roll, with me as a passenger, we hit 160 in about 8 seconds.
That is badass!
I've never been in cars that fast.... But my old Altima 3.5 would do about 140+ in 4th gear. (5MT)
Old 05-20-2010, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by 2 GO B4
Okay...so an update.....

I have had the block on for a bit now and my current observations are as follows:
-car runs much smoother
-better gas mileage ( i get about 2 more mpg than before overall)
-I do notice the minor awkward bogging that Scottwax commented about before (where if you are driving along in a higher gear and give it just enough gas but not enough to make it downshift right away...car feels like it is towing a boat for a sec---until it downshifts and gets up in the revs) really isn't an issue though

---Overall, totally worth the 40 bucks!
Nice followup, OP.

I've been waiting a whole month now for NWP to get his Premium Plate back in stock. Yesterday he went and pushed it off an additional 3 more weeks, to the middle of June.

You know... I research the heck out of mods before buying, and schedule these things out well in advance. And every freaking time, EVERY FREAKING TIME (!), when I go to buy something, it's on back-order for weeks or months.

He's killing me. (Sorry for the rant. Very unhappy.)
Old 05-20-2010, 06:05 AM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

Originally Posted by Rochester
Nice followup, OP.

I've been waiting a whole month now for NWP to get his Premium Plate back in stock. Yesterday he went and pushed it off an additional 3 more weeks, to the middle of June.

You know... I research the heck out of mods before buying, and schedule these things out well in advance. And every freaking time, EVERY FREAKING TIME (!), when I go to buy something, it's on back-order for weeks or months.

Yeah that happens... I ordered my torque link months ago and just got it a couple of weeks ago. Just think of it as building up anticipation!
Old 05-20-2010, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by sparks03max
Yeah that happens... I ordered my torque link months ago and just got it a couple of weeks ago. Just think of it as building up anticipation!
Of course, I could just buy his in-stock $40 plate and call it a day. But I already made a big fuss here about getting the pretty one, so I've psyched myself into a box. I feel like a chump.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:02 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by CraigSE
That is badass!
I've never been in cars that fast.... But my old Altima 3.5 would do about 140+ in 4th gear. (5MT)
Nothing else I've been in is remotely close to that TT GT. The GTR would launch hard but by 120 or so the pull slacks off. Not like it is slow but compared to a stock Z06 the difference is noticeable.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:02 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Of course, I could just buy his in-stock $40 plate and call it a day. But I already made a big fuss here about getting the pretty one, so I've psyched myself into a box. I feel like a chump.
We'll only give you crap about it for a couple days if you go with the $40 engraved version.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
We'll only give you crap about it for a couple days if you go with the $40 engraved version.
Tempting, but I know I'd have regrets just because I couldn't wait an additional 3 weeks. Believe me, I went back and forth all morning when I saw his $40 plate in stock again, and the $60 plate pushed out further.

Considering a new sig name. "Backorder Johnny", maybe? Meh, I need another hobby to keep me entertained when Maxima mods are on hold.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:22 AM
dot dot dot ...

I guess I need to get on this bandwagon and get one.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:41 PM

Nice followup, OP.

Hang in there Rochester......I agree with you...the engraved plate is not as fancy as the laser cut plate....but I figured I don't drive with my hood open and I won't see it unless I am in there doing something.....therefore....saved the $20 and bought something else with it....lol
Old 05-31-2010, 07:23 AM

Still hanging. It will be worth the wait.

And saving $20? Meh. When I open the hood, I want to like what I see. Kind of funny how I'm allowing for engine bling these days. If you had asked me that question 2 years ago, I would have given you one of these:

Besides, tomorrow is June 1st, and I've realigned my mod plans to purchase his Torque Link Connector ahead of schedule.

That's going to be fun!